Start by marking “Queenie” as Want to Read:
Queenie

Queenie

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  267 ratings  ·  26 reviews
When Queenie elopes with a recently widowed neighbour her family are uniformly shocked, and a window on adult life and relationships is opened for her step-sister. A summertime stay with the newlyweds in Toronto yields further insight into the lives of couples, but also causes confusion.

Part of the Storycuts series, this short story was previously published in the collecti
Unknown Binding, 96 pages
Published March 18th 1999 by Profile Books(GB)

To ask other readers questions about Queenie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queenie

T P Kennedy
A superb little story. Munro is an author whose prose is effortless. Her writing needs to be read slowly and savoured. On the surface, this is an account of one woman writing of her step sister but there's a lot more going on than that. She sounds notes of escape, attachment and freedom that echo through the narrative. This small volume is a fantastic way to approach Munro. Her longer collections can be overwhelming.
Shafika Abdul Ghani
Again, vivid and bullet-accurate feelings about relationships, between best friends and between lovers. Munro hypnotizes with language, putting relationships understandable and bare, out in the open for our scrutiny.

The story entitled Queenie is about the person herself but more so on how she affects the narrator. I wish that Munro had done more things to allow us to get into Queenie's head. Because we only see her from the vantage point of the narrator, I cannot see the motivations for whateve
Shaimaa Ali
A nice short read but not Munro's best ..
Bev Spicer
Amongst the books I received at Christmas was a tiny sixty-page short story entitled ‘Queenie’, by an author I’d never heard of: Alice Munro, now eighty-three years old and winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature. As a writer of short stories myself, I was curious to find out how this author could have earned the most prestigious of prizes for such an underrated art form.

I was excited. Expecting miracles. I was not to be disappointed.

It’s a slow burn, which is what I like. Introductions are suc
B.A. Spicer

I was excited. Expecting miracles. I was not to be disappointed.

It’s a slow burn, which is what I like. Introductions are suc
Andy Mckinney
This afternoon, in the peace and quiet of Ballymena Central Library I read Queenie in one sitting. This was the first time I had read Alice Munro and boy does she pack a punch! She crams an entire lifetime into 62 pages. Told first person by Chrissy, the story focuses on her relationship with her sister Queenie. This is a story about coming-of-age and loss and Munro unfolds the plot deftly and gradually like someone unwrapping an expensive Christmas present. I loved this because like Steinbeck s ...more
Saffron Dennis
Really? The greatest short story writer ever. I'm missing something obviously.

This was a completely boring story of a young girl who shacks up with her pervy music teacher, runs off with him, finds out he is horrible then runs out on him. Her sister never hears from her again.

I felt nothing for the characters, they were all one dimensional, uninteresting or just plain unlikeable. I couldn't care about any of them. What the middle section in the sandwich bar gave to the story I have no idea.

I gu
Ana
Um livro de pouco mais de meia centena de páginas em formato A5. Apesar de ter francamente elogiado a autora no primeiro livro que li da própria há algum tempo atrás, admito que este exemplar em questão foi consumido durante uma breve pausa turística e com intuitos sedativos. O estilo é o mesmo e empregue num pequeno conto. Duas raparigas que se tornam irmãs por segundos casamentos e que posteriormente se separam também por questões de relacionamentos de uma delas. Uma breve visita da irmã mais ...more
Sara Kettleborough
I felt like the characters lacked depth, particularly the title character Queenie. It may have been that this was supposed to form part of the interpretation of this protagonist that she was in fact a mystery to most and fairly fleeting / fancy free. But I wasn't sure.. See my blog for more thoughts on this short story: https://sarakettleborough.wordpress.c...
Justine Knight
I'm glad I bought Munro's collection of gory stories after this a it is a great introduction to her amazing style. She can is table grab the reader and being only small every word carries weight. A talented writer.
Thorunn
Ekta Alice Munro saga. Um sérstök sambönd hjóna eyðilegginguna sem fólk getur valdið með því sem það gerir eða gerir ekki. Samt skrítið að gefa út þessa sögu sérstaklega.
Katy
I bought this as a mini poclet size novella to try Munro as an author. I loved it. Very real, great characters, it inspired me to buy a book of Munro's short stories.
Katharina
This was great. It was different from what I usually read. It just somehow resonated with me, without being able to identify with the main character.
Heath Winther
a good story to read on the go when you have a lot of free time for reflection
Bianca
Lovely short story.
A great example of Alice Munroe, but it is a shame to have just one story, n it more.
Kumar Anshul
Not as much impressive as short stories by Jhumpa Lahiri, but since this was my first short story by Munro, I shall reserve my comments till I finish her 'Selected Short Stories'.
Sohini Dey
This was my first Alice Munro, and I find her style refreshing and endearing. It's a simple story told beautifully simply. Can't wait to read more of her works.
Jenny Faith
Wow. A powerful, profound and moving short story. After reading the last word, I was hit by an evocative experience of emotions and memories...
Claire Bonello
I can see why this is a Nobel Prize winner.
Dila Putri
The story is so haunting, and deep. The smallest collection I've had anyway. Lol. A smart way to sell the story.
Outi
An interesting little story about two sisters. Munro writes very effortlessly.
Rims
Alice Munro, worthy of that Noble Prize!! :) ,Perfecto! ;)
Armen
... I felt my loss.
Andreea
Andreea marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Tyler Hallows
Tyler Hallows marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Samar
Samar marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
  • Hobson's Choice
  • Elephant And Other Stories
  • Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf
  • Short Stories
  • Valentine Joe
  • Το αμάρτημα της μητρός μου
  • Stones
  • A Commonplace Killing
  • All You Zombies and Other Stories
  • Born with a Tooth
  • Dotter of Her Father's Eyes
Alice Ann Munro, née Laidlaw, is a Canadian short-story writer who is widely considered one of the world's premier fiction writers. Munro is a three-time winner of Canada's Governor General's Award for fiction. Her stories focus on human relationships looked at through the lens of daily life. She has thus been referred to as "the Canadian Chekhov."

She is the winner of the 2013 Nobel Prize in Liter
More about Alice Munro...
Dear Life Runaway Too Much Happiness Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage: Stories Lives of Girls and Women

“I looked at the rusty-bottomed bread tin swiped too often by the dishcloth, and the pots sitting on the stove, washed but not put away, and the motto supplied by Fairholme Dairy: The Lord is the Heart of Our House. All these things stupidly waiting for the day to begin and not knowing that it had been hollowed out by catastrophe.” 0 likes