Start by marking “The Other Colors: An ABC Book” as Want to Read:
The Other Colors: An ABC Book

The Other Colors: An ABC Book

Do you know what the colors gamboge, zaffre, and debian look like? Then travel through the alphabet with The Other Colors to learn about the beautiful and unusually named colors found in nature—and to brush up on those ABCs as well. Valerie Gates's charming alliterative style paired with Ann Cutting's stunning photographs of colors found in nature—ecru eggs, scarlet scallo ...more
Published April 9th 2013 by Sky Pony Press (first published March 19th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Other Colors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Colors

Joella www.cinjoella.com
I really like alphabet books. And I really like photography. So I knew I would probably like this book. The only problem is that I don’t see all that many kids loving this book. I think it will be one that parents or adults will like…but not one that kiddos will love quite the same way as Chicka Chicka Boom Boom or something of that sort.

Basically this is an alphabet book that goes over different colors that most kids might not know: ecru, limerick, verdigris, etc. And there are pictures of thin
Jim Erekson
Dec 17, 2013 Jim Erekson rated it really liked it
I was surprised by this one, ready for it to be a dull take on the compulsory genre.

But Gates and Cutting were witty in both words and visuals (my favorites were the 'razzamatazz' [pink] rattlesnake, and the xanadu xiphosuran!). Gates is a graphic designer and drew strange color names from a career of fiddling around in Illustrator and Photoshop. There's a nice color guide online where you can see not only these, but also find other odd color names by fiddling with the tools: http://colors.find
Stacey
Sep 15, 2013 Stacey rated it liked it
Shelves: abc-book
I think "The Other Colors: An ABC Book," is a pretty good children's book. I definitely think it would be for older classrooms though, such as a fourth grade classroom. Each letter of the alphabet stands for a color that is either not known of, or that is rarely heard of. The colors mentioned are not regular colors such as red or blue, but they are unique colors such as debian and zaffre. The pictures in this book are photographs rather than illustrations that are drawn or painted. I thought it ...more
Samantha
An artistic approach to both colors and the alphabet. This book uses alternative colors and names of colors to introduce the colors of the alphabet. Each page uses alliteration to describe the photo opposite the letter featured.

Any good alphabet book needs to have done a good job representing letters Q, U, V, X, Y, and Z. This book does such a fun job! U cracked me up with the u-turn!

My personal favorites include P (periwinkle pebbles) and W (wisteria whale).

This is a great gift book, especial
Angie
Aug 24, 2016 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This might be one of the most beautiful books I have read in a while. It is full of words even I don't know however so I am sure kids will have no idea what they mean. The photography and alliteration are beautiful and the text seems almost magical. But I just don't see kids liking this one. I think this is almost more of a coffee table book for adults. Things like "Olivine organic orb obediently oscillates" makes my word loving heart beat, but a kid is going to ask "what?"
Carol
Dec 02, 2013 Carol rated it liked it
I love the unusual colors chosen for this color-themed alphabet book. I liked the photographs used to illustrate the color. I didn't think much of the alliterative sentences that tried to connect the color and images. They were awkward and strange, kids would not understand them. I hardly understood what they were trying to say. If it had just been the color name and something showing that color in real life it would have been much more enjoyable.
Claudia Bell
I love the alliteration on each page. Not only does the child learn the alphabet in a creative way, but also the names of a huge variety of colors. The photographs are interesting and informative as well. Definitely a different kind of alphabet book.
Karen Arendt
Jun 02, 2013 Karen Arendt rated it it was amazing
The photography is stunning. The colors are gorgeous. The alliteration is creative. The only drawback is that most young children who would look at a concept book will not understand some of the words used.
Bridget R. Wilson
Wow! I have never heard of most of these colors. Love the alliteration. This would be a great book to use in introducing kids to the concept of alliteration. The photos are fun, too.
Jen
May 11, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb
Great book for artsy types. Uses lots of big words for other colors to show the letters of the alphabet.
Jodie
Jun 16, 2014 Jodie rated it really liked it
A fun twist on an ABC book. Each letter highlights a color which young readers will probably not know. The illustrations are fun and have alliteration that goes with it. Fun book.
Jeannie
Jeannie rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2014
Georgette
Georgette rated it it was ok
Aug 15, 2013
Mike Diakuw
Mike Diakuw rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2013
ABC REMIX
ABC REMIX rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2014
April
April rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2013
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was ok
Apr 08, 2015
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2014
Mary Luzader
Mary Luzader rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2014
Lisa Delacruz
Lisa Delacruz rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2013
Lennie
Aug 17, 2013 Lennie rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
Great photos, great "new" colours!
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2013
Emily
Emily rated it it was ok
Jan 30, 2014
Jean
Jean rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2014
Suzy
Suzy rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2015
Crystal
Crystal rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2015
Deb Reddy
Deb Reddy rated it did not like it
Jul 02, 2014
Becca Novak
Becca Novak rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2014
Christen
Oct 23, 2014 Christen rated it liked it
I loved all the rich language used in the book and the pictures were fun.