The Honey Connoisseur: Selecting, Tasting, and Pairing Honey, With a Guide to More Than 30 Varietals

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  6 reviews
From honey experts C. Marina Marchese and Kim Flottum comes this comprehensive introduction to the origin, flavor, and culinary uses of more than 30 varietals of honey, from ubiquitous clover to tangy star thistle to rich, smoky buckwheat

Like wine, cheese, coffee, and chocolate, honey has emerged as an artisanal obsession. Its popularity at farmers' markets and specialty...more
Published June 4th 2013 by Black Dog & Leventhal Publishers (first published May 7th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Honey Connoisseur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Honey Connoisseur

Melody
Interesting for what it left out as much as for what it included. No eucalyptus honey? No acacia? Still, it covered a lot of ground- or maybe a lot of flowers. Many interesting facts about both plants and their habits as well as the flowers/nectars/honeys produced by the bees working them. There was a good chapter on adulterants and their ubiquity. A lot of the pairings, as well as some of the tasting notes, struck me as too, too.
Leanne
Aug 26, 2013 Leanne marked it as did-not-finish
Originally posted on Literary Excursion.

I had to mark this book (ARC copy) as DNF. I really would have liked to read it, but less than 40 pages in I had encountered two occurrences of either one or a chunk of pages missing. I can't spend time reading a book I only received in part, so sadly it's going to be impossible for me to review it.

The things I did like in the few pages I could actually read:

All the headings are in the same multicolored honey and amber hues as the cover title. This along w...more
Alyssa
Read: Summer 2013
Where It Came From: eARC from publisher via NetGalley*
Genre: Non-fiction with a side of cooking
Rating: 4.5 Happy Honeybees

This book made me want to find a swirly skirt and go spin around in a verdant field somewhere à la Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music. Does that sound weird for a book about honey? I might have thought so prior to reading, but it’s really not—as this book enlightened me, so much of how honey tastes is dependent on the land where it’s produced, and The Honey...more
Darren
This book opened this reviewer's eyes, so to speak, as one never imagined that there was so much variety in honey. Of course, when you think about it and rationalise it, it is fairly obvious, but unless you are a particular fan of honey you might be forgiven for just picking up whatever honey is cheapest from the store when you need "honey" for your cooking. This reviewer is guilty as charged.

So this book presents a very detailed, yet lightly-written, look at the rich, diverse world of honey, co...more
Kristina Arnold
Especially enjoyed the pairings and recipes!
Michaela
Beautiful book and very interesting.
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
JoAnne
JoAnne is currently reading it
Sep 02, 2014
Cal
Cal marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Emily
Emily added it
Aug 22, 2014
Willis Roberts
Willis Roberts marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Scott
Scott added it
Jul 16, 2014
Teri
Teri marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Liz Deleo
Liz Deleo marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Kate Shea
Kate Shea marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Anaïs Ninjas
Anaïs Ninjas marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Brittany Caffey
Brittany Caffey marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Andrew Bartels
Andrew Bartels marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
Katie P
Katie P marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2013
Gerald
Gerald marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2013
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2013
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2013