Start by marking “Sleeping Cruelty” as Want to Read:
Sleeping Cruelty

Sleeping Cruelty

Sir William Benedict, owner of the Caribbean island of St Martina, is sumptuously wealthy. He is pouring millions into politician Andrew Maynard's campaign. Then Maynard commits suicide on the eve of the election. Sir William has to fight against his links to the scandal.
Published August 1st 2001 by Pan MacMillan (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Sleeping Cruelty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleeping Cruelty

Huw Rhys
Sep 10, 2016 Huw Rhys rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really like Lynda La Plante's TV drama's, and so the expectation of a novel which had the semblance of a credible plot, characters who were at least 2 dimensional and endless pages without cliches, childlike grammar and propositions, and a narrative which occasionally flowed and made some sort of sense wasn't too much to expect.

I was desperately disappointed on all fronts. She seemed to change her mind about where her story was going every couple of pages, possibly because she realized like th
Beth Dean
This was not at all a book I would pick up at all...ever......never ever, however after Egypt (ages ago I know) mum was goin to chuck this book away and I just HAD to save it. So now I've read it I've gotta say it was nowehere near as awful as I thought it was going to be, I mean I knew it wasn't going to be badly written but I thought it would be sooooooo slow going for me as I just didn't fancy reading crime novels. But it was really good, I will probaly be reading another at some point in tim ...more
Judy LeBlanc
Oct 30, 2015 Judy LeBlanc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
not one of my favourite books by Ms LaPlante, nasty characters prevail, even the hero is not a nice person, ending however is satisfying. Definitely twisted.
Joyanne Hope
Hard to put down....great storytelling /......well worth reading once you have persevered.
Pol
Aug 07, 2014 Pol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Linda La Plante and I thoroughly enjoyed it, gripping story that was difficult to put down!
Beverley Spiller
intriguing with a plot that gets a bit muddled i think
Debra Allen
Disappointed with this one..
Amanda Warriner
Don't bother.
Ruth Windeler was bakin
Not what I expected from this author. Quite dark and racy.
Pete Wood
Mar 03, 2010 Pete Wood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I tend to expect from Lynda La Plante, a great story, solidly constructed characters and tight-writing, (not a spare word or sentence in sight).
The story is fast-paced with many twists and turns.
She did a great job by leaving some of the background details to the readers imagination, (this is referred to in Authors notes).
Like any outstanding thriller it stays in your mind long after the book has been finished.

Mikedt
Sep 11, 2011 Mikedt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An absorbing read though slightly predictable. Reminded me a bit of Jeffrey Archer's Not a Penny more, not a Penny less. La Plante has an easy and readable style, though the dark characters are too obvious to be really scary. I was amazed at the number of typos in the edition I read, a 2000 hard cover small: Stop looking at each other and looked at me. (p5), and now Justin had to (too) p268 and two others.
Sophia
Jul 14, 2011 Sophia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't the kind of book that I would ever pick up. I'm much more interested in the Supernatural/Adventure/Action with a big dash of Romance, yet I found myself quite enjoying this book. The beginning was a bit slow for my taste but the twist and turns in the plot kept me reading until the end
Ria
Jan 19, 2012 Ria rated it it was amazing
Brilliant story, totally different to her usual style as they are more detective / police based, cleverly told with believable characters with an insight into the mind of a killer.
Kirsten Forrester
Mar 14, 2016 Kirsten Forrester rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
Crap, crap, crap. I think the plot was made up on a day to day basis. To see an author of such renowned stoop to this is sad.
Aida
Jun 05, 2012 Aida rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put it down... La Plante has that kind of hold on me. However, I'm not sure how she slapped together happy endings for such disturbed characters.
Ilze
May 26, 2008 Ilze rated it liked it
Now if there was a little less sex (and/or gory details) in there, I would've enjoyed the book more.
Tania Easton
Great book, read it a couple of yrs ago and can still remember it being a good read.
Kaylol
Jan 16, 2011 Kaylol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
At first it's quite shocking, then it's plain mind twisting. Not my style.
Richard Mulholland
Jul 25, 2010 Richard Mulholland rated it it was amazing
2nd read: Good, fun read - gripping.

1st read (8/1/03): Brilliant book
Jill
Feb 18, 2014 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not at all what I expected, but found it to be a very good read
Therese
Jun 08, 2010 Therese rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Unique story but not for the squeamish or sensitive.
Angie Jones
Apr 15, 2012 Angie Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Different from her usual format, a reasonable read.
Michele
Sleeping cruelty by Lynda La Plante (2001)
Gail
Nov 27, 2009 Gail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't put it down
Jeffrey Hendrick
Jeffrey Hendrick rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2016
P A DANCY
P A DANCY rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Sharon Wells
Sharon Wells is currently reading it
Sep 16, 2016
Karen
Karen added it
Sep 24, 2016
Ann Marie Bryan
Ann Marie Bryan rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
  • Fury (Frank Corso, #1)
  • Buried Evidence (Lily Forrester, #2)
  • The Villain's Daughter
  • Gangster Girl (Gangland Girls, #2)
  • Tainted Lives
  • Black Widow (Annie Carter #2)
  • The Last Nazi
  • Zero Option (Geordie Sharp, #2)
  • The Graft
  • Jericho Point (Evan Delaney, #3)
  • Blood Hunt (Jack Harvey #3)
  • Last Light (Nick Stone, #4)
  • Found Wanting
  • James Penney's New Identity / Guy Walks Into a Bar: Jack Reacher Storycuts (Jack Reacher, #12.5)
  • Bad Moon Rising (Lorraine Hunt, #2)
  • Heart of Ice (Emily Kenyon, #2)
  • Acid Row
Lynda La Plante (born Lynda Titchmarsh) is a British author, screenwriter, and erstwhile actress (her performances in Rentaghost and other programmes were under her stage name of Lynda Marchal), best known for writing the Prime Suspect television crime series.

Her first TV series as a scriptwriter was the six part robbery series Widows, in 1983, in which the widows of four armed robbers carry out a
More about Lynda La Plante...