Start by marking “Sleeping Cruelty” as Want to Read:
Sleeping Cruelty

Sleeping Cruelty

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Politics, scandal and an island paradise. Fabulously wealthy entrepreneur Sir William Benedict has always dreamed of being accepted amongst society's elite, despite his working class roots.

When fast-rising Tory MP Andrew Maynard enters his life, William suddenly finds that he has gained the social status that he has always craved. But when a political scandal erupts around
Published August 1st 2001 by Pan MacMillan (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Sleeping Cruelty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleeping Cruelty

Beth Dean
This was not at all a book I would pick up at all...ever......never ever, however after Egypt (ages ago I know) mum was goin to chuck this book away and I just HAD to save it. So now I've read it I've gotta say it was nowehere near as awful as I thought it was going to be, I mean I knew it wasn't going to be badly written but I thought it would be sooooooo slow going for me as I just didn't fancy reading crime novels. But it was really good, I will probaly be reading another at some point in tim ...more
Pol
My first Linda La Plante and I thoroughly enjoyed it, gripping story that was difficult to put down!
Pete Wood
As I tend to expect from Lynda La Plante, a great story, solidly constructed characters and tight-writing, (not a spare word or sentence in sight).
The story is fast-paced with many twists and turns.
She did a great job by leaving some of the background details to the readers imagination, (this is referred to in Authors notes).
Like any outstanding thriller it stays in your mind long after the book has been finished.

Mikedt
An absorbing read though slightly predictable. Reminded me a bit of Jeffrey Archer's Not a Penny more, not a Penny less. La Plante has an easy and readable style, though the dark characters are too obvious to be really scary. I was amazed at the number of typos in the edition I read, a 2000 hard cover small: Stop looking at each other and looked at me. (p5), and now Justin had to (too) p268 and two others.
Sophia
This isn't the kind of book that I would ever pick up. I'm much more interested in the Supernatural/Adventure/Action with a big dash of Romance, yet I found myself quite enjoying this book. The beginning was a bit slow for my taste but the twist and turns in the plot kept me reading until the end
Ria
Brilliant story, totally different to her usual style as they are more detective / police based, cleverly told with believable characters with an insight into the mind of a killer.
Aida
Couldn't put it down... La Plante has that kind of hold on me. However, I'm not sure how she slapped together happy endings for such disturbed characters.
Ilze
Now if there was a little less sex (and/or gory details) in there, I would've enjoyed the book more.
Tania Easton
Great book, read it a couple of yrs ago and can still remember it being a good read.
Kaylol
At first it's quite shocking, then it's plain mind twisting. Not my style.
Richard Mulholland
2nd read: Good, fun read - gripping.

1st read (8/1/03): Brilliant book
Jill
Not at all what I expected, but found it to be a very good read
Therese
Unique story but not for the squeamish or sensitive.
Angie Jones
Different from her usual format, a reasonable read.
Michele St John
Sleeping cruelty by Lynda La Plante (2001)
Julia Kelly
Julia Kelly marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Katharine Kent
Katharine Kent marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Sonia Godoy
Sonia Godoy marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Fury (Frank Corso, #1)
  • Buried Evidence (Lily Forrester, #2)
  • The Front
  • Black Widow (Annie Carter #2)
  • James Penney's New Identity/Guy Walks Into a Bar (Storycuts)
  • The Last Nazi
  • Zero Option (Geordie Sharp, #2)
  • Last Light (Nick Stone, #4)
  • Mission Canyon (Evan Delaney, #2)
  • Blood Hunt (Jack Harvey #3)
  • The Wench Is Dead (Inspector Morse, #8)
  • Acid Row
  • Heart of Ice (Emily Kenyon, #2)
  • The Perfect Murder
  • The Graft
Lynda La Plante (born Lynda Titchmarsh) is a British author, screenwriter, and erstwhile actress (her performances in Rentaghost and other programmes were under her stage name of Lynda Marchal), best known for writing the Prime Suspect television crime series.

Her first TV series as a scriptwriter was the six part robbery series Widows, in 1983, in which the widows of four armed robbers carry out a
More about Lynda La Plante...
Above Suspicion (Anna Travis #1) The Red Dahlia (Anna Travis #2) Clean Cut (Anna Travis Mystery, #3) Silent Scream (Anna Travis Mystery, #5) Blind Fury (Anna Travis Mystery, #6)