Start by marking “My Mama Needs Me” as Want to Read:
My Mama Needs Me

My Mama Needs Me

Jason wants to help, but isn't sure that his mother needs him at all after she brings home a new baby from the hospital.
Hardcover
Published May 1st 1984 by Lothrop, Lee and Shepard Books

To ask other readers questions about My Mama Needs Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Mama Needs Me

Madison
Nov 20, 2013 Madison rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
This is a book about a young African-American boy whose mother just gave birth to a baby girl. The main character of the story, Jason, wants to help out his mother, but does not know how to.

The illustrator draws his characters in a way that is not very realistic. While the images themselves look like people, when looking closer, there are strange lines through the face and shapes that are not normally there. The pictures have some bright color but are mostly dull. The parts of the pictures that
Sharia A.
Oct 30, 2012 Sharia A. rated it did not like it
This book is about a young African American male named Jason. Basically, Jason was asked to do many task and Jason was not able to help because he had a new born baby sister. I enjoyed this book because it showed the African American family unit in a positive way. This book would be helpful to me for my students because they are always showed other races of fathers when their are black fathers in a positive way. Mildred Pitts Walter is African American which gives the book an honest trutht to wh ...more
Stephani Snow
Aug 13, 2009 Stephani Snow rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
This is a good book to prepare children who have never had a sibling before what life is going to be like. The boy in this story wants to help out his mom and thee baby but can't understand why sometimes the mom just doesn't need his help, like when the baby is already asleep or she just got to sleep.

Picture book
Danielle
Dec 01, 2015 Danielle rated it really liked it
This book shows the excitement from an older brother for his new baby sister. When his new baby sister comes home all he want to do is help his mom with her. He does not play with his friends , does not accept the neighbors offer of cookies and ditch his friend at the pond to go help his mother. I enjoyed the book because it shows joy for being a big brother.
Tierra
Sep 05, 2015 Tierra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: realistic
"My Mama Needs Me" by Mildred Walter shows the excitement from an older brother for his new baby sister. When his new baby sister comes home all he want to do is help his mom with her. He don't play with his friends , don't accept the neighbors offer of cookies and ditch his friend at the pond to go help his mother. I enjoyed the book because it shows joy for being a big brother.
Sammie Ortiz
Apr 25, 2012 Sammie Ortiz rated it it was ok
This book was interesting.... It can help if students in the class are dealing with a new baby sibling. They can relate to the character. But apart from that, I wish there was more to it. Also, I found the picture of the mother breastfeeding almost too much for a children's book.
Ama
Illustrations are very dated. Text is OK.
Amanda
Aug 06, 2011 Amanda rated it did not like it
what mama needs is a good nanny so she can spend some time with that older child. lol
Renee Budden
Renee Budden rated it it was ok
Aug 31, 2011
Céline Harrand
Céline Harrand rated it really liked it
May 06, 2015
Kaitlincwaltersgmail.com
Kaitlincwaltersgmail.com rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2014
Bryer Elmore
Bryer Elmore rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2012
Dione Basseri
Dione Basseri rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2015
Jane
Jane rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2011
Tammie Huckaby
Tammie Huckaby rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2015
Savanah
Savanah rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2012
Adrien
Adrien rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Brindi
Aug 08, 2013 Brindi rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens, csk-award
1984 CSKing Illustrator Winner

Cute story but the illustrations were horrendous.
Ann Weakland
Ann Weakland rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2011
Hero
Hero rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2013
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2012
Quintina
Quintina rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2011
Tasha
Tasha rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2012
Sam Bloom
Sam Bloom rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2013
Tiffany James
Tiffany James rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2012
Emily
Emily added it
Nov 19, 2009
Jacob
Jacob marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2010
Elise
Elise marked it as to-read
May 10, 2011
Sassy
Sassy marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2012
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2012
Kim
Kim added it
Feb 26, 2013
Kristine Hansen
Kristine Hansen marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
Helyn
Helyn marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Gaia
Gaia added it
Nov 14, 2014
Violet B
Violet B marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Anija
Anija marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Kcarmack
Kcarmack marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2016
Mfoot
Mfoot added it
Nov 26, 2016
Delegate to the 2nd World Black and African Festival of the Arts & Culture in Lagos, Nigeria, in 1977. Graduate of Southern University with an MA in education from Antioch College. She lives in Denver, Colorado, and travels widely as an educational consultant.
More about Mildred Pitts Walter...