Start by marking “Ella Takes The Cake” as Want to Read:
Ella Takes The Cake

Ella Takes The Cake

Ella longs for a little independence in this second adventure for the charming elephant.

Published September 1st 2005 by Arthur A. Levine Books

To ask other readers questions about Ella Takes The Cake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ella Takes The Cake

Kathryn
Mar 29, 2012 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Okay, I will admit it, I was totally taken in by the sweet cover (love the artwork, and the hardcover edition for sale at the library (for only $2!) has the most darling red bow on it) The illustrations really make the story for me. I just love them--the elephants are so adorable, and I love the European setting. The cake in this is just lovely! The storytelling is just okay for me (as it was with the original Ella book) but I like how Ella wanted to help out and I think many children will relat ...more
Betty Ortega
Sep 22, 2016 Betty Ortega rated it it was amazing
* Book Summary
Ella really wants to help her mother at the bakery, but her mother is afraid that she might get hurt or she thinks she too young to do certain things. When the opportunity arrives she gives Ella the task of delivering a very important cake to the lighthouse.

awards Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Gold Seal

* Grade Level/ Interest level
1st Grade

* Appropriate Classroom Use
Read aloud to class during reading period.

*Student Who Might Benefit From Reading
All students

* Small Group Use
Assig
Adriana
Mar 12, 2015 Adriana rated it really liked it
All Ella wants to do is help her mom in anyway at her family's bakery. But, Ella is just too small to do anything important. All she's allowed to do is sweep the floor, not anything important like helping take out macaroons from the oven or slicing a piece of pineapple pie for a customer. It's only when Mr Banjo, the delivery man, leaves a cake behind that Ella has a moment to shine and show her mom that she can be a big help.

This was a very cute book with illustrations that reminded me of The
Jamie
Dec 28, 2010 Jamie rated it really liked it
Ella is a little elephant who wants to be a big help to her mother who works at a bakery. She goes on an errand to deliver a giant cake across town. She picks up other deliveries on her way, even though she was supposed to go straight through with the cake. Her wagon gets too heavy, and she almost ruins the cake. Everything works out well in the end.
The artwork tells the story just as much as the words do. The reader gets to see the many different things that are in the town. The words tell a
george
Jul 29, 2008 george rated it liked it
Another in the Ella the Elephant series, this book focuses on Ella wanting to help her mother in the bakery. She tries and tries to help, but her mother won't let her because she's too small, or she might get hurt. Ella knows that she could be a big help if only she gets a chance. Then, her chance comes: the delivery driver forgot a cake and Ella rigs up a cart to her bicycle to take it. Her mom allows it, but Ella runs into many distractions along the way--will she be able to help after all?

Cut
Shannon
Mar 20, 2016 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Amazon Book Description:

Ella the elephant is too little to slice the cake in her mother's bakery, and the oven is absolutely off-limits. It feels like she can't do ANYTHING important - until Ella's mother needs help with an emergency cake delivery. Then Ella peddles off on her trusty cart to prove herself, but there's a bumpy road ahead!

In her second magical adventure, Ella the elegant elephant shows that you
The Brothers
We like the little Ella the Elephant books. The illustrations are interesting to look at and it's fun to think of an island society made up entirely of elephants!
Mommywest
Jan 09, 2014 Mommywest rated it it was amazing
Darling story! Ella loves to help her mother and longs for the day when she can help in her mother's bakery more than just sweeping the floor. One day, an opportunity arises for her to show how big she really is. A nail-biting adventure ensues. :) We look forward to reading more about Ella, her mother, and charming village they live in.
Hillvan
AD520L
Cassandra
Jul 31, 2013 Cassandra rated it it was ok
Shelves: preschool
I like the art, yes, and it is charming, but I am bothered by the fact that Ella is an Angel in the House (in not just this but all the books) whose main personality traits are her desire to please others... and her poor treatment by her 'friend' is not even addressed. My daughter very much learns the world from the books we read, and so we have had some long discussions about Belinda's behaviour and how Ella might have responded to it, either in the moment or later on.
Veronica
May 04, 2013 Veronica added it
Shelves: manners
I'm working on creating a booklist for my local public library. This book was one in consideration for this list.

Another great book on responsibility. It's going on the list not only for the responsibility aspect, but the main character's politeness in stressful and new situations is something to be admired. A completely adorable story and illustrations and I think it would make a great storytime.
Jackie
May 05, 2010 Jackie rated it really liked it
All sorts of near-catastrophes happen when Ella Takes the Cake to Captain Kernel's Lighthouse. Mr. Banjo forgot to take the cake on his delivery rounds, but Ella is right there, ready and willing to help her mother however she can.

Ella proves just how responsible she is when nothing fazes her on her long and arduous trip.

Used for "We Love Desserts" storytime-May, 2010.
Rebecca
Aug 04, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: livia
I'm trying to record books my daughter and I enjoy reading together. This book about Ella was a pleasant read for both of us. I was fascinated by the illustrations (Greece? Italy?) and the idea of a girl whose mother runs a bakery. Livia enjoyed the tale as well, so I plan to pick up more of d'Amico's books from the library.
Bethany
Feb 17, 2010 Bethany rated it really liked it
If you ask my daughter, this book would get 5 stars. I wasn't quite that enamored with it but it is still a fun and cute story. My daughter loves Ella and her hat and loves to tell the story to me. I just discovered that this is one of a series of Ella books. I look forward to reading more of these with her.

Katherine
Again, another Ella book. I have really grown fond of them and I think I will have one at a time in my room for the children to read and be read too. This is also a great book for prediction. What do you think Ella has a cake for? What is she going to do with it? Wonderful book!
Libby
Oct 09, 2010 Libby rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Adorable story about Ella the Elephant (the first in this series that I've read) helping her mother out by making a cake delivery, even in the face of unhelpful friends, steep hills, and a time limit! The pictures are beautiful, the town Ella lives in looks very Mediterranean.
Jasmine
Nov 09, 2012 Jasmine rated it really liked it
This would be a geat book to share with students who live to be helpful at home and school. Ella is a young girl who is eagered to help her parents at their bakery. You can easily tie this story to the lies of your students and see how they are helpful to their families!
Julie Rowan-Zoch
Apr 18, 2012 Julie Rowan-Zoch rated it really liked it
The illustrations remind me of so many picture books I read and loved as a child! Such an appealing original setting, reminiscent of southern Europe/northern Africa! I am surprised to see so much expression in such simply drawn characters. Good stuff.
Emily Brown
Sep 04, 2012 Emily Brown rated it it was amazing
PB7 - I absolutely LOVED this book. Ella is the cutest little character and wants to help out everyone in her town. The illustrations were very good too. All around, this book was awesome.
April
Feb 07, 2008 April rated it it was amazing
this book has a map on the inside cover which shows the places in Ella's town. It's very fun for children to trace her trip with their finger. My 3 year old LOVES doing it.
Tara
Apr 27, 2011 Tara rated it liked it
Shelves: adventure, helping
This book is all about helping others. It shows kids that it is very important to help others and not always just worry about yourself.
James
Sep 13, 2013 James rated it it was amazing
I think this story is easy to relate with. Everyone want to feel like they belong and are useful. I also liked the artwork.
Phuong
May 11, 2012 Phuong rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids that love elephants
Shelves: kids
Part of the Ella the Elegant Elephant series. Maura loves these books. Good stories without being too cutesy.
Heather
Jun 15, 2011 Heather rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
I don't like how Ella comes off as a push-over in this book. This is my least favorite in the series.
Kim North
Oct 18, 2010 Kim North rated it it was amazing
These Ella books are seriously cute, both of my girls love them.
Shauntel
Jan 26, 2010 Shauntel rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-easy
I really don't like Ella's friend Belinda. She's so inconsiderate.
Jaime
Apr 11, 2012 Jaime rated it really liked it
My daughter Ella loves this series!
Michael
May 30, 2016 Michael rated it it was amazing
A very good book!
Delynn
Delynn added it
Sep 19, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
  • Baby Brains and RoboMom
  • Roller Coaster
  • Mustache!
  • Olivia Forms A Band
  • Cornelius P. Mud, Are You Ready for Bed?
  • Ponyella