Start by marking “The Delta Decision” as Want to Read:
The Delta Decision

The Delta Decision

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  1,511 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Commando leader of Atlas Command searched out the Caliph in a deadly combat along with the beautiful & wealthy widow - Magda Altmann
Published 1981 by Doubleday (first published May 31st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about The Delta Decision, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Delta Decision

Not a bad read per se, but not up to the same immersive standard as the majority of Smith's output. WILD JUSTICE is fast-paced with some absolutely stunning action sequences in it, but there are too many flaws to make it a truly crackling thriller.

It kicks off on a real high, with the hijacking of a plane and the subsequent rescue mission described in sweaty detail. After this mini set-piece, though, the story seems to lose something. Smith wrong-foots you from the outset with the identity of hi
Erica Mukherjee
Though not as burning as the chicken and the egg question, “What came first, Rainbow Six or Wild Justice?” Regardless, the concept could be carbon copied from one book to the other. Albeit, Wild Justice would be the smudged and harder to read copy. Escalating terrorist attacks lead an trans-Atlantic team of highly trained intelligence and army men to be ready at a moment’s notice to fight against the rising tide of evil. This is a plot line designed to thrill, and in both cases the authors, Tom ...more
Major General Peter Stride is the head of THOR a anti terror unit composed of British and American Soldiers, which is supposed to act against "militants" (they are never called terrorists) all over the world. His second in command is a American Colonel. (If i ever wondered were Tom Clancy got his plot for Rainbow 6 now i knowRainbow Six)

Peter Stride must be also the must gullible man in the world over the run of the book he is consistently chasing a different track to uncover the identity of ter
Harv Griffin
pic of my copy of THE DELTA DECISION

When I first read HUNGRY AS THE SEA by Wilbur Smith I loved it so much I went down to my local used bookstore and bought everything they had by Wilbur Smith, a stack of 7 or 9 books, as I remember. This one, THE DELTA DECISION, was the only one that really worked for me as entertainment. It is better known on GoodReads as WILD JUSTICE, the title in the UK, and the story was made into a Roy Scheider movie.

Smith writes a lot of period piece novels, none of which I was able to "get into." His nove
When you get swashbuckling, nonstop action, what more can you want?!!!!!

Wilbur Smith’s ‘Wild Justice’ is everything that a hard core action buff would slaver on! I might have mentioned once or twice that I tread cautiously while reading one of the authors whom I haven’t come across. But Wilbur Smith emerges as a good pick, and judging by the present novel, I would definitely try his other ones.

Cover of Wild Justice
I had a James Bond-ey type feeling while reading this novel, most particularly the
Thom Swennes
Wild Justice isn’t what one would expect from a Wilbur Smith book. His vast knowledge of the African Continent wasn’t tested as he moved his story over the whole world. My impression after the first hundred pages was it would be another Tom Clancy (Rainbow Six) international anti-terrorist squad tale. As the story progresses, so did the winding road it followed. The route had so many turns, I found myself suspecting everyone of being Caliph. As only a great writer can, in the end everything is c ...more
Seeing as this is the first I've read by Smith I was intrigued, knowing he writes series.

It was well written, in that it was slower than your usual contemporary spy novel, but at the same time it was a really quick read. The plot twists were pretty insane. I enjoyed every minute of it. Even though the character of Magda got on my nerves so many times. Particularly at the end...

Saying that, I'm pretty sure I'll be reading more of Wilbur Smith in the future.
This is a fast paced, tension building plot about a commando leader of the elite Atlas Command desire for revenge against a ruthless puppet master terrorist. Of course, he falls in love with the beautiful & wealthy widow along the way.
Fredrick Danysh
An aircraft is highjacked on its way to South America. Only one man can save everyone from the terrorists. Another modern terrorist novel about an over worked theme.
This novel is somewhat dated. However, even though the novel involves countries, situations, and politics that have changed since its publication in 1979, I still found the story to be full of action and appeal and a pretty good thriller. After all, a lot has changed regarding terrorists, airport security, etc. since 9/11. I especially liked the beginning sequence with the hijacking of the airliner and rescue in South Africa as well as the rescue of Stride’s kidnapped daughter. I will admit that ...more
James Atkinson

Treading similar lines to Rainbow six, this is a poor thriller.
1. the authors inaccuracy's to suit the plot. 'Violence provokes change like the suffragettes'-no this alienated there support, it was women's role in ww1 which aided there quest for the vote far more.
2. The fascist undertones. Our superman hero shoots a suspect because she'll be out next week (tell that to gitmo bay's inmates) which leads a reprisal bombing and no progress in the inve
Karel Soeters
A below average book from Wilbur.
A plot for which no research was needed (apart from some traveling to some destinations)
Wilburs algorithm for books (Afrika, suspence, cruelty, sex and violence) was too easily applied.

To write a plot with very handsome, very strong, multi-skilled and multi language and very very rich main persons every scenario is possible.

But may be I read too many Wilburs ? (About 25)
Matthew Macmartin
Ahh what a very satisfying book. Chock full of mystery, action, political intrigue, add a dash of romance and you have one heck of a read. Its the sort of book whos action keeps you reading and the mystery keeps you coming back.

Slightly predictable but very forgivable since he keeps it at a great pace to not belabor anything. Highly recommend for those folks who enjoy the political mysteries, action, or just all round good fun.
Tom Tischler
Anti terrorist chief Peter Stride has spent a lifetime
training for this position. But even in the hail of
bullets that follow he knows that this is only the
beginning of this nightmare. This book is an oldie but
goodie from around 1979 and you may have to go to the
archives to find it but it's well worth the effort.
Alexander Kennedy
This is one of my favorite Smith books. It is a page turner that keeps you guessing the entire way. The characters are rich and well developed. There is plenty of action yet also plenty to make you stop and think as well as sympathize with the characters.
Gary Ross-Jordan
This is my first Wilbur Smith and having read other's reviews I will try him again. However I found there to be a lot of flaws in the book which switched me off. Hopefully next time I'll enjoy his writing.
Absolutely! Didn't necessarily agree with the title tag line... "draws terror as tight as a violin string" but he does know how to spin a political, espionage thriller. Does his homework and research justice.
A light read that kept me entertained on long bus rides to the university. Intensive, with non-stop action, though easily forgettable (by now, I cannot remember a single scene from it).
Several typos related to major events in the story, rather than just spelling/grammar, were really annoying. One of them is even on the back cover: "It begins as a routine trip to South Africa." It was NOT a trip to South Africa. The flight was supposed to go from the Seychelles to Nairobi, Kenya, and is ordered to be flown to South Africa by the hijackers. Other than that, it was full of suspense, and kept me turning pages, but reading novels about crazed international terrorists isn't really m ...more
Readable but not as engrossing as the usual Wilbur Smith standard. Maybe it's down to the subject matter but not very impressed.
The chase of an international terrorist 'Caliph' could have been interesting, but the strings of the plots are the size of boat ropes ; add to that a retching love affair and the overly detailed description of any place, piece of clothing, piece of equipment, attitude and thoughts, it was not hard to fast forward to the end of that long book.

One detail though : it has a very interesting view on communist terrorism at the beginning, as seen from post 9/11 eyes. Remember the book was written durin
Alessia Ferrari
It's the first Wilbur Smith's book that I've read.
I found it has a good rhythm from the first page to about the 90%.
The end, honestly, it's a bit obvious for me, but the plot runs fast and smooth to the reader's eyes.
I found the fight scenes very well described.
Prevedibile fin dall'inizio... A parte qualche colpo di scena ho dedotto subito il finale..
Ok. Would have worked better if it wasn't clear from the beginning who the evil genius actually was.
The book goes well until the very end when the story turns topsy turvy! Probably because Wilbur Smith was comparatively inexperienced at the time of writing this book he fails to make the best use of all that could have been done with a nice plot and put in a beautiful climax! This bhook is a far cry from his last book I read - Those in Peril.
Not something that I would usually read, but hey, it was there, and I didn't have anything else lying around.

A little weird to read a 1979 rendition of terrorism in 2010.

If you like action, war, terrorism themed books this one is pretty good, but despite the plot twists, I knew early on in the book who the bad guy was.
This is my first Wilbur Smith book. Nice reading after all. For non native English speakers, his use of language is sometimes too deep and the fast pace of the novel makes it a little hard to follow if your vocabulary isn't fluent enough. But overall I liked it a lot. Ideal for holiday reading.
A book that's written in such a way that it seems like you are reading a film.

Not really too many surpirses here with this book but very good writing style, gripping story, and just a fun read in general. I think Wilbur Smith is always a good read but just for entertainment.
I haven't picked up a Wilbur Smith novel in a long time. I'm now wondering why. This was a gripping book, full of twists and turns, some of which I anticipated and some of which I didn't. I can say, for certain, that I will be reading his books more regularly!
"This story of an elite cross national anti-terrorist force is somewhat dated now, especially in the telling, but the core of the terrorist problem is still perfectly valid. The leader has to track down the shadowy Caliph who threatens to make terrorism a business."
  • Flyaway
  • The Black Shrike
  • Autobiography of Malcolm X as told to Alex Haley, The  (MAXNotes Literature Guides)
  • Havoc (Philip Mercer, #7)
  • Black Heart
  • Bloodstained Kings
  • Bodies Electric
  • The Red Fox
  • Works of William Shakespeare
Wilbur Smith is the bestselling author of many novels, each meticulously researched on his numerous expeditions worldwide. His bestselling Courtney series includes Assegai, The Sound of Thunder, Birds of Prey, Monsoon, and Blue Horizon. His other books include Those in Peril, River God, Warlock, The Seventh Scroll, and The Sunbird. His books are now translated into twenty-six languages and have so ...more
More about Wilbur Smith...