Start by marking “The Gift of Christmas Present” as Want to Read:
The Gift of Christmas Present

The Gift of Christmas Present

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  395 ratings  ·  66 reviews
Christine knocked on the door ready to introduce herself to her long-lost grandmother. Esther answered the knock ready to interview a housekeeper. Neither found quite what she'd expected.

Christine Bradley couldn't have been more surprised when, shortly after her mother's death, her father revealed that Christine had been adopted at birth. As she grapples with the loss of t

Published 2004 by Baker Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about The Gift of Christmas Present, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gift of Christmas Present

Loraine
Christine was adopted at birth. At age 20, knowing her birth mother died in a car accident a year after she was born, she has finally located her birth grandmother. When she gets up the nerve to finally meet her, she is greeted at the door by an elderly, cantankerous woman who is on crutches due to a severely sprained ankle who thinks she has come to apply for the housekeeper position. Christine takes the position not telling her grandmother who she really is in order to learn more about her bir ...more
Shari Larsen
College student Christine Bradley is surprised when shortly after her mother's death, to learn that she had been adopted at birth. In search of clues about her biological mother, Christine encounters a family she never knew she had. She digs deeper as Christmas nears, and learns a shocking secret about her lineage. Will she be able to come to grips with the past, accept the present, and look forward to a brighter future?

I enjoyed this story; it was a little too short, but I say that because I en
Rachel Brand
Jan 30, 2009 Rachel Brand rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rachel by: Mum & Lynn
This was an easy read, even if it did tackle some serious issues, and it would probably put a lot of people in a Christmassy mood. It was a Christian novel, but didn't have a typical "and then they all become Christians and lived happily ever after" ending that some Christian books have. Overall, a nice, simple read, but not really my kind of book. I can see why some people would like it - my mum and Lynne included - but I think it was a bit too simple for me personally. 6/10
I liked the plot of this story a lot. The idea of a woman reconnecting with her birth family has been done before, but not in this way, at least not in books I've read.

I like how the characters were real and showed their flaws but were also excited to love and embrace all family members.
Debra
This was a nice, light, enjoyable read for Christmas.
 ♥♥Mari♥♥

(Reviewer's Note: This novella is one of three in the omnibus edition, which I purchased. However, I am going to review it separately, since doing three reviews in one post would make the post much too long. It would also not allow me the space to comment on everything I want to mention.)

It's only normal for an adopted child to eventually want to meet his/her biological parents, and Christine Bradley is no exception. Even though she loves her adoptive family, she feels she must find out more abo
Dianne
A light Christmas tale that reminds us to cherish the times we have in life, to let the past go, to enjoy the present and to look to the future with anticipation. The Gift of Christmas Present by Melody Carlson is a heartwarming story of family, with all of their flaws, their secrets and their pain and how one girl’s discovery brings a family together.
Christine has always known her parents loved her, but when her mother died, she discovered she was adopted and began to search for the missing mot
Kristen
Not Melody Calrson's best writing, in my opinion. It was a good story that could have been very emotional. As it was, the dialogue was choppy and cheesy at quite a few spots. The character's reacted unrealistically at times and over predictably at others. I found myself flipping to the end quite a bit to see how much more I had to go until I could be done with it.
Still, it had a very good plot line. I just would have liked it alot better had it been delivered better.
Riannon
This book was a bit anticlimactic towards the end. But the part that bothered me the most was how bad the writing was at the sentence level. It was full of cliches, and the way the characters thought in short choppy sentences made them sound like they were six year olds. I would rather have given it one and a half stars, but can't bring myself to take it up to the "it was ok" level of 2 stars.
Alex
This was my least-favorite of all the Melody Carlson books I've been reading recently. It just wasn't gripping like the others, and contained a horrifying conclusion that made me sick. Definitely not like her other books that always leave me feeling happy and peaceful!
Sharon Johnson
I had not read any of Melody Carlson's books so thought I would try this one.
It was a very easy and delightful book to read with a message and good story.
Would recommend
Margaret
Too bad I couldn't give it 1 1/2 stars. I just thought it got a little ridiculous.
Andrea Vrtikapa
Sweet, sad little story. Read it in one day!
Charise
Wish there was a 2 1/2 stars...
Lillie
I think this story might have been more effective if it were longer. It seemed that when the family learned the shocking secret of what the long-dead husband/brother/father/grandfather had done, they forgave too easily. God forgives the most heinous sins immediately upon repentance; usually it takes us humans a little more time. And what this family had to forgive was abhorrent. Only his words to his sister at the end of his life that he was at peace with God gave any indication that the man had ...more
Gwen
Christine locates her biological grandmother's home not far from her college campus, and knocks on her door over Christmas break. Grouchy and recovering from a bad sprain, Esther mistakes Christine as a responding applicant to a position as housekeeper. Christine finds herself going along with it, holding back her true identity.

I had mixed feelings about this one. I liked the author's style, and I liked the characters. But towards the end, as secrets regarding Christine's birth mother are reveal
Missy
I love to read Christmas stories because of the spirit of the season and how it seems to bring families together and this book was no exception. I thoroughly enjoyed the grandmother in this story. What a cranky and sad woman she was at the beginning of the book and what a joy it was to watch her transform by the end. I know the story was supposed to be about Christine and her journey to find out about her biological mother but I was really more interested in the grandmothers story. To me it was ...more
Monica
After Christine is told she is adopted it leads her to seek out her birth parents. All she has is a name which leads her to her grandmother, a rich bossy woman who doesn’t take any non-sense. While going to tell her who she is her grandmother thinks she’s there to apply for the job as her care taker. Instead of correcting her she takes the job to get to know her, and little does she know the rest of her family as well. Christine becomes attached to her new family but in the process she finds out ...more
Steve Campbell
This was an enjoyable Christmas read from a Christian worldview. The characters were adequately developed and their inner struggles were realistic from a Christian perspective. It has the feel of a Hallmark Christmas special throughout, which I don't mind at all. I like my Christmas stories with a dash of sentiment, and this supplied that and more.
 Northern Light
When Christine's mother dies her father tells her that she is in fact adopted although sadly her birth mother died soon after she was born.

Christine manages to track down her grand-mother but due to a mix-up ends up as housekeeper/carer and can't tell her the truth.

The book then tells her story as she gets to know her new 'family' and decide when and what to tell them. Secrets large and small come out over time and Christine is in for a traumatic time.

I found it hard to really like this book fil
Paula
This was an enjoyable Christmas story. Christine went in search of her birth parents after her father revealed that she had been adopted. On her journey, she meets her grandmother and, through her, learns the shocking truth about her lineage and the fate of her mother. I loved watching the transformation of Christine's grandmother from an seemingly cold individual to a warm-hearted grandmother. I think that Jimmy's acceptance of the shocking news about Christine and his family was a bit too easy ...more
Melissa
Sweet story about finding bio grandparent. A little surface-y but not too bad.
Elaine
A sweet story w/unexpected twists. Great storytelling job.
Leia
This started out as an ABC Family movie, which is what I was looking for--something sweet and heartfelt and mindless, and it morphed into a terrible Lifetime movie. Authors who attempt to tackle major issues like abortion and incest should not try to tie up the story with a pretty bow at the end. TERRIBLE.
Kate
Overall, I enjoyed the premise of the book. I thought the characters were well written for the most part, though one definitely got under my skin (and not in a good way)!
However, there were some VERY heavy and difficult subjects brought up in this book, and they weren't handled with the gravity I thought they deserved. It seemed like everything was a bit swept under the rug all in the name of Christmas.
I think if the issues brought up had been handled with more seriousness, I would have been abl
Brittany
A young girl learns that she was adopted at birth, and sets out to learn all she can about her blood relatives. She meets her Grandmother, who doesn't know who she is, and begins to meet her "real" family. When the family discovers her identity, she learns a heart-breaking story relating to her birth.
This was yet another good Christmas story. I thought it was slightly reminiscent of "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens. It really wasn't related to that but it did remind me of it. All around,
GoldenjoyBazyll
GREAT short read. Story about a young woman who goes off to college with a double pursuit in mind- become a teacher and find her birth family. She ends up posing as a housekeeper for the elderly woman who is her grandmother and as they form a relationship it becomes difficult to keep the secret. Once she lets the truth out.... other members of the family let their truths fly and the results are very interesting! GREAT READ!
Jodi
This was an interesting book. A girl goes to a home and becomes a house keeper even though that was not why she is originally there. She has a secret to tell. She learns about her real mother and a family she has never met. It was an interesting story, but I did not like the twist. I know that incest happens but I do not like to read about it. Other than that the book was okay.
April
The resolution to the conflict in the story seemed a little too easy, especially given the extraordinary circumstances being faced. Does it really make it easier when the strong is done by someone who is dead?
  • Christmas Roses
  • One Imperfect Christmas
  • Remembering Christmas
  • A Lancaster County Christmas
  • Advent
  • A Victorian Christmas
  • Finding Christmas: Stories of Startling Joy and Perfect Peace
  • Blame It On The Mistletoe (Bright's Pond #4)
  • A Marriage Carol
  • The Happiest Season
  • Forever Christmas
  • A Wild Goose Chase Christmas
  • The Christmas Tree Treasure Hunt
  • The Christmas Lamp
  • A Winter Discovery
  • Blue Christmas (Moody Blue, #1)
  • Loveable Christmas Angel (Angels with Attitude, #3)
  • Beside Two Rivers (Daughters of the Potomac, # 2)
Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of over two hundred books, several of them Christmas novellas from Revell, including her much-loved and bestselling book, The Christmas Bus.

She also writes many teen books, including the Diary of a Teenage Girl series, the TrueColors series, and the Carter House Girls series.

Melody was nominated for a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award in the inspi
More about Melody Carlson...
Becoming Me (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #1) Christmas at Harrington's Dark Blue: Color Me Lonely (TrueColors, #1) Blade Silver: Color Me Scarred (TrueColors, #7) It's My Life (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #2)