Start by marking “The Unexpected Guest” as Want to Read:

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  2,962 ratings  ·  225 reviews
Agatha Christie is the most widely published author of all time with her works outsold only by Shakespeare and the Bible. She is regarded by generations of fans as the greatest mystery writer ever, and her novels are read and cherished the world over.

Clarissa, the young wife of a Foreign Office Diplomat, delights in tweaking the sensibilities of her more serious friends an
Published October 22nd 1999 by Minotaur Books (first published 1958)

Ebtehal
لو فيه مليون نجمة .... ماقصرت

أكثر رواية ممتعة لأجاثا وعلى طول أنصح أي احد ما قرأ لأجاثا أبدا أنه يقرئها وبيتعلق ويكمل باقي الروايات
Bookworm007
The plot is incorrect: it's the one for Spider's Web. I guess you could say I read "The Unexpected Guest" as an accident, as I thought I would be reading Spider's Web. However, The Unexpected Guest was a very good accident, mind you. The story was fast-paced, had simple and easy-to-read language, and a jaw-dropping ending.

It didn't feature the usual recurring detectives, like Poirot or Marple or Tommy and Tuppence, yet perhaps that's what made this book so intriguing because the inspectors were
Aditya
A simple, small, no-nonsense story! A man driving in the night through the fog finds himself entrenched in a ditch. So he walks up to the nearest house and walks into a murder scene quite unexpectedly! He finds a cripple of a husband murdered, shot through his head, in the wheel-chair, while the wife is standing in a corner with the gun still in her hand and confessing to the murder. But did she really do that? Is she shielding someone else? Maybe a lover? Or her retarded bro-in-law?
TO those who
Adela C.
Avem parte din nou de un roman povestit din prisma celor implicați în această crimă. Totul începe când un bărbat pe nume Starkwedder călătorește în sudul Wales-ului (Țara Galilor) și se blochează cu mașina pe drum, în fața unei case. Cum afară e și ceață, el hotărăște să dea un telefon. Nu răspunde nimeni la ușă, așa că încearcă ușa glasvandului, care e deschisă. Înăuntru e întuneric, dar vede un invalid în scaunul său. Îi explică în ce situație se află, dar niciun răspuns. Așa că aprinde o lumi ...more
Nahed.E
كتاب رائع لأجاثا كريستي مثل كل كتبها
الجميل في كتب أجاثا كريستي أنها تعرف في ماذا نفكر ، ومتي ! بمعني أنها تعرف أن فكرة معينة ستطرأ علي بالك في هذا الوقت بالتحديد
فتشك في شخص معين ، وتراها تدحض كل شكوكك في كلمة واحدة
لتجد المتهم آخر شخص يمكن توقعه
وطبعا لا يوجد ملل علي الإطلاااق
Marwa Ahmed
unexpected , good story !
و اول مرة اقرى لأجاثا كريستى رواية ما يكونش فيها اللى بيحل اللغز احدى شخصياتها البوليسية و لكن شخص تورط أصلاً فى الجريمة و لن احرق النهاية لأن الكتاب ممتع :)
آلاء عوده
نهايه غير متوقعه كالعاده
لكن احداثها ليس بها تشويق كبير
او تنوع و اثاره
لكنها جيده
Sumit Singla
I have to say that this book was good - though I read a novelized version of the play and not the play itself. It is about a dark, rainy night when a man's car breaks down. He seeks help in a house nearby, and realizes that a man who he thought was sleeping is actually dead.

And then begins a roller-coaster ride, which I cannot begin to describe without giving away spoilers.

However, it'll suffice to say that it is a good book, with some interesting twists that I didn't see coming. (Either Ms. Chr
رانيا منسي
ورق اصفر قديم من سنة 1975 مع الغاز اجاثا كريستي جو ممتع للقراءة
Eslam Almassri
هي هكذا أجاثا تأتي بنهاية غير متوقعة البتة .. مجرمة !
Nikki Nielsen
'The Unexpected Guest' begins on the side of a foggy country road in Scottland. Michael Starkwedder finds himself hopelessly lost on this winding road that seems to lead nowhere when he runs his car into a ditch. He walks to the closest house and although there is no answer to his knock, he sees someone sitting in the library through glass doors. A man asleep possibly? The French doors open to Michael's touch and he has intentions of waking the man up and asking to use the phone, but he is shock ...more
Onellyantie Chuah
I thought I succeeded in guessing who the murderer is (and was very proud of it, too), but the final chapter just blew all my confidence away. All the clues and characters play significant roles in the plot, nothing unnecessary (except for the young sergeant Cadwallader and his poetic remarks). A very short read with no-humor but extensively family and revenge related story.

A little bit of the story:
Michael Starkwedder permitted himself to enter an isolated house on a foggy night after his car r
ضُحَى
- رواية مثيرة فعلا جعلتني أشكّ فى كل من فى الرواية وفيمن حولى كذلك من كثرة انفعالي بها ومن كثرة ما تبعث بداخلك فعلا الشك فى كل شخص ممكن ان يكون له صلة بجريمة مقتل ريتشارد، وان كانت شخصية سترايك غريبة فليس كل شخص مستعد لإقحام نفسه بجريمة قتل هكذا لمجرد إمرأة فتنته أو أعجبه جمالها متجاهلاً أبعاد ذلك وشخصيتها نفسها التى ممكن ان يكون خفى عليه الكير منها .
- لم أشك لحظة من البداية ان لورا لم تقتله بل كنت متيقنة من انها هى الفااعلة لذلك جاءت احداث القصة تترا تفاجئنى بأشخاص يُقحَموا فى موجة الاتهام فى ه
Florencia
Actual rating 4.5
WOW!I did not see that plot twist coming... so good. I wish I'd seen the play. I recommend this one, it's qute short so if it's not of your liking it shouldn't take that long to get it over with but if you do like it you can just read it all at once, since it's quite fast-paced, which is something I love. When you get to the ending... Christie doesn't disappoint... not at all.
Jerry
A Quickie Review

Agatha Christie is regarded as the master of mystery fiction; this book is a posthumous novelization of one of her plays, also a whodunit. The story is typical for the Queen of Crime, and fans of her works will likely enjoy it just as much as her regular novels.
Lori
So this was originally a play and adapted to a novel format. I did notice that the writing was a bit "off" and didn't feel quite right for an Agatha Christie book. The plot and characters were pretty interesting, as usual, starting off with pretty-clear case of wife being caught red-handed and holding the smoking gun. And in typical Christie style all is not what it appears to be. Not sure if it is because I've read so many of her books, but it didn't take me too long to figure out what the plot ...more
Katie Robinson
Its a dark rainy night. Perfect time for a murder.

This book is about an ultimate revenge. A man in a wheel chair turns up murdered. Some would say the neglected and emotionally abused wife is the killer. Others think its the wives lover. The more the book goes on, it starts looking like the mentally handicapped brother has killed his own brother.

Then the police start to pry and find out this dead man is a murderer himself. So who did it, a stranger? the wife? the lover? the brother? Well, there
Tali
First things first, I should point out that I read a novelisation of this play, not the play itself, therefore I probably gained a different opinion of this Christie story than I would if I'd read the original. This turned out to be a very good novelisation though with a strong plotline, although I did feel that some of the dialogue and action would work a lot better in its original play format. Still a nice book to while away a couple of hours with. Just enough mystery and a nice twist at the e ...more
Mena.moh
put your hands together for Agatha christie ،، ...more
Tina Rae
Apr 24, 2012 Tina Rae rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Agatha fans
Ugh. Why are Agatha Christie mysteries so amazing?! They are my favorite. I absolutely adored this one. Though the ending kind of threw me. The very, very end was not at all what I wanted to happen but oh well. The whole novel was still brilliant. And I believe this one was adapted from a play? I would LOOOOVE to see this as a play. It would be just a superb night at the theatre. So if you're looking for a good Agatha Christie mystery to devour this one is definitely one of her best!
Arjaye Nitro
A mystery which i was not able to solve until the last remaining pages, until its revelation. Considering this as an quick and easy read but oooh, poor me and my non-existing detective skills, i never learn a thing from watching THE MENTALIST nowadays.

The story started when Mr. Starkwedder got his car trapped on a ditch. Trying to find help from the nearest house, he permitted himself inside only to discover a dead body, a gun, and the wife standing beside it. To tell you honestly, the story wi
Aniket K
Aniket Kumta
English (Orange)
3/26/15

The Unexpected Guest

In The Unexpected Guest adapted as a novel by Charles Osborne from a play originally written by Agatha Christie, the theme is that what appears to be the case may not always true. The story takes place along a country road in South Wales, United Kingdom. The story is written in 3rd person limited. While Michael Starkwedder, an engineer, drives along the road encompassed by fog on a cool November evening, his car gets stuck in a ditch along t
Gretchen Swain
This was a play turned novel. It was an excellent murder mystery. It had me guessing the whole way, and kept my interest. I would recommend this to anyone who loves Christie's books or is new to her world. I would even reread it to see if I could pick up on clues as to who the murderer was.
Kamal Mohamed
مش غريب اني اقرأ لاجاثا كريستي وانبهر بالنهاية
الجديد ف ان اللي حل اللغز مش احد ابطالها المعتادين
سحر اجاثا بيخليك تلقائيا متبقاش عارف مين القاتل ولا حتي ذهنك يشك فية طبعا الكاتبة مش محتاجة اني افضل اعدد ف مهارتها الكتابية
بس فعلا قصة بوليسية ممتعة للمهتمين بالنوع دة
Natsume
Kitabı bitirmişken sıcağıyla yazmak istedim,kriminal tarz romanları seven birisi olarak çok hoşuma gitti.Agatha Christie tahmin etmesi pek de mümkün olmayan katilleriyle meşhur diyebilirim,bir yerden sonra yazarın tiplemelerine ve mantığına alıştığınızdan tahmin yapmak mümkün olabilir ama ne diyebilirim bu kitabı okuyunca tamamen nutkum tutuldu açıkçası diğer eserlerine kıyasla pek bir derinliği yok gibime geliyordu ta ki kriminal romanların klasik çözülme&sonuç evresi başlayana dek;öyle ki ...more
Eman Ehab
روايه ممتعه جعلتني اشك في انني القاتل و اظن انها لو اتعملت فيلم هتبقي رووعه .انها فعلا اجاثا كريستي يا ساده
Basma Bassam
روايه رائعه واحداثها مثيره تجعلك تشك بكل الشخصيات الا القاتل للحقيقي
Enaas
لا يمكنني أن أقاوم عشقي لروايات أجاثا كريستي جميعهاا
نجلاء سعيد
كانت من زمان...وكانت حلوة جدا :)
Ana Luisa
Agatha Christie foi e sempre será a rainha do romance policial! Por melhores que sejam outros livros existentes no mercado literário nenhum consegue superar esta diva que será sempre lembrada pelas suas histórias imortais. Já não lia um livro desta autora à muitos anos, o outro titulo que li chamava-se “Matar é facil” e pertencia à colecção “Vampiro”. Este é mais um livro viciante que nos faz devorar cada página de forma quase doentia, com a certeza que nada é aquilo que parece. Devo dizer que n ...more
  • The Piper On the Mountain (Felse, #5)
  • Agatha Christie: A Biography
  • The Floating Admiral
  • A Grave Mistake (Roderick Alleyn, #30)
  • The Rose and the Yew Tree
  • Murder for Christmas
  • Agatha Christie
  • Agatha Christie and the Eleven Missing Days
  • Who Killed Roger Ackroyd?: The Mystery Behind the Agatha Christie Mystery
  • The Murder at the Vicarage

Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller was born in Torquay, Devon, England, U.K., as the youngest of three. The Millers had two other children: Margaret Frary Miller (1879–1950), called Madge, who was eleven years Agatha's senior, and Louis Montant Miller (1880
More about Agatha Christie...
And Then There Were None Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)