Start by marking “The Face in the Mirror: a transhuman identity crisis (Reflections #1)” as Want to Read:
The Face in the Mirror: a transhuman identity crisis (Reflections #1)

Read Excerpt

The Face in the Mirror: a transhuman identity crisis (Reflections #1)

What does it mean to be human?

Imagine you're in a tragic accident.
You expect to die!
Instead you awaken in a body that is not yours.
Not even your own species!
Not even your own gender.

In a desperate attempt to save your life your brain has been transplanted into the only body available, the body of a genetically engineered slave.

Everyone is quick to assure you that you are s
Published August 29th 2012 by Amazon Digital Services (first published August 28th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Face in the Mirror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Face in the Mirror

Miriam
Dec 31, 2016 Miriam rated it it was ok
WELL. This novel sure is ambitious. It explores metaphysics and the nature of self; the fluidity of sexual and gender identity; the impact of physical change on mental health; the legal implications of CNS transplants; transhumanist principles; body dysmorphic disorder; liberty, servitude, slavery; 'human' rights for people who are only partially human; polyamorous relationships and families... to name a few.

I stuck with it because I think the premise is amazing (though admittedly, VERY niche).
Lenora
Jan 26, 2014 Lenora rated it really liked it
The Face in the Mirror: a transhuman identity crisis by TR Brown

I was not sure what to expect from this book, having looked at the cover I thought it might be a bit of a cheesy B Movie style sci-fi gender shocker and nothing more, how wrong I was! It would be impossible to explore every issue that this book covers. Initially it is a very through exploration of the psychological trauma faced by many amputees/trauma survivors and the reaction of friends and family; it then delves into what precise
Cate
There is an old saying “never judge a book by its cover”, and that is especially true in the case of this book. If I had picked this up in a store, the cover alone would have made me put this back on the shelf, without even reading the synopsis and, by doing that I would have missed out on interesting read. However, for those who are made uncomfortable by gender identity issues I would recommend giving this book as miss as they are a strong theme here.

This is the second book I’ve read in about a
Shelia Mejia
Jan 11, 2016 Shelia Mejia rated it liked it
I'm still reading this book but would like to make a couple of comments about it. First, the ERRORS! I don't just mean some typos either. If you have a pet peeve about the proper use of 'your' and 'you're' then just skip this book because it will dive you insane! That being said, I find the premise fascinating. Wrestling with your self image after such a drastic operation, even knowing how limited the choices were would be catastrophic.

For now, I'll keep reading despite the grammatical errors b
Kelvin Clements
May 06, 2014 Kelvin Clements rated it really liked it
Shelves: t_brown
Well this was really quite good, I read the free exert first and was intrigued by the idea of a brain transplant into another species and another sex. The book is quite thought provoking as the main character recovers and goes thought different levels of identity crisis. Their appear to be a 2nd and 3rd book in the series so I see I'm going to be catching up on the Todd/Shade character in a couple of weeks time.
KMacK
KMacK rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2015
Feralcus
Feralcus rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2015
Helen E. Reames
Helen E. Reames rated it did not like it
Feb 01, 2015
Jeff Hay
Jeff Hay rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2014
Patrick Bridwell
Patrick Bridwell rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2017
christopher c kepperling
christopher c kepperling rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2014
Karl Bernard
Karl Bernard rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Zaneta Lasseter
Zaneta Lasseter rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2017
Kevin Roberts
Kevin Roberts rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Don
Don rated it it was ok
Jul 04, 2014
Dleedh
Dleedh rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2014
Michael Mooney
Michael Mooney rated it really liked it
May 23, 2016
جرح بلا عنوان
جرح بلا عنوان rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2014
Ditha Evelyn
Ditha Evelyn rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2014
Francois
Francois rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2015
Mayfer Baliber
Mayfer Baliber marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2013
T.R. Brown
Feb 23, 2013 T.R. Brown added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Lia
Lia marked it as to-read
May 19, 2013
Tammy K.
Tammy K. marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2013
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2013
H
H marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2013
Thandeka Nqono
Thandeka Nqono marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Kelcy Norreen
Kelcy Norreen marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Awode Favour
Awode Favour marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Angelica Marcelino
Angelica Marcelino marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Christopher Ormond
Christopher Ormond is currently reading it
Nov 01, 2014
Rish
Rish marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Jeremy
Jeremy added it
Apr 02, 2015
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Bob & Sherri
Bob & Sherri marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Divya
Divya marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Tereus
Tereus marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2017
Lezli
Lezli marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2017
T.R. Brown
Mar 15, 2013 T.R. Brown added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Goodreads Sci-Fi/...: What does it mean to be human? 4 9 Dec 26, 2013 01:17PM
Goodreads Authors...: The Face in the Mirror 5 72 Nov 27, 2013 06:10PM
Indie Book Club: What does it mean to be human? 2 13 Nov 27, 2013 06:09PM
Goodreads Authors...: What does it mean to be human? 11 99 Nov 27, 2013 06:08PM
Born in Salt Lake City, Utah in 1970, I have been writing for most of my life but have previously only had research papers and technical documents published. A cancer survivor, my day job is, ironically, as a biologist in a lab that looks for genetic markers for hereditary cancer. When not working or writing I enjoy spending time with my wife and daughter, reading, gaming and going to the movies.

S