The Face in the Mirror: a transhuman identity crisis (Reflections #1)
read excerpt

The Face in the Mirror: a transhuman identity crisis (Reflections #1)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  5 ratings  ·  3 reviews
What does it mean to be human?

Imagine you're in a tragic accident.
You expect to die!
Instead you awaken in a body that is not yours.
Not even your own species!
Not even your own gender.

In a desperate attempt to save your life your brain has been transplanted into the only body available, the body of a genetically engineered slave.

Everyone is quick to assure you that you are s...more
Published August 29th 2012 by Amazon Digital Services (first published August 28th 2012)

Lenora
The Face in the Mirror: a transhuman identity crisis by TR Brown

I was not sure what to expect from this book, having looked at the cover I thought it might be a bit of a cheesy B Movie style sci-fi gender shocker and nothing more, how wrong I was! It would be impossible to explore every issue that this book covers. Initially it is a very through exploration of the psychological trauma faced by many amputees/trauma survivors and the reaction of friends and family; it then delves into what precise...more
Cate
There is an old saying “never judge a book by its cover”, and that is especially true in the case of this book. If I had picked this up in a store, the cover alone would have made me put this back on the shelf, without even reading the synopsis and, by doing that I would have missed out on interesting read. However, for those who are made uncomfortable by gender identity issues I would recommend giving this book as miss as they are a strong theme here.

This is the second book I’ve read in about a...more
Kelvin Clements
Well this was really quite good, I read the free exert first and was intrigued by the idea of a brain transplant into another species and another sex. The book is quite thought provoking as the main character recovers and goes thought different levels of identity crisis. Their appear to be a 2nd and 3rd book in the series so I see I'm going to be catching up on the Todd/Shade character in a couple of weeks time.
Cliff Hays
Cliff Hays marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Angelica Marcelino
Angelica Marcelino marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Awode Favour
Awode Favour marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Kelcy Norreen
Kelcy Norreen marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Thandeka Nqono
Thandeka Nqono marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2013
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2013
Lia
Lia marked it as to-read
May 19, 2013
T.R. Brown
Mar 15, 2013 T.R. Brown added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
T.R. Brown
Feb 23, 2013 T.R. Brown added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Mayfer Baliber
Mayfer Baliber marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2013
Goodreads Sci-Fi/...: What does it mean to be human? 4 9 Dec 26, 2013 01:17PM
Goodreads Authors...: The Face in the Mirror 5 72 Nov 27, 2013 06:10PM
Indie Book Club: What does it mean to be human? 2 13 Nov 27, 2013 06:09PM
Goodreads Authors...: What does it mean to be human? 11 98 Nov 27, 2013 06:08PM
Born in Salt Lake City, Utah in 1970, I have been writing for most of my life but have previously only had research papers and technical documents published. A cancer survivor, my day job is, ironically, as a biologist in a lab that looks for genetic markers for hereditary cancer. When not working or writing I enjoy spending time with my wife and daughter, reading, gaming and going to the movies.

S...more