Start by marking “Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay” as Want to Read:
Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay

Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  647 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Annie Proulx has written some of the most original and brilliant short stories in contemporary literature, and for many readers and reviewers, "Brokeback Mountain" is her masterpiece. Now the major motion picture "Brokeback Mountain" is being hailed as equally masterful, with performances that are "the stuff of Hollywood history" "(The New York Times)." "Brokeback Mountain ...more
Published April 11th 2006 by Scribner Book Company (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Brokeback Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brokeback Mountain

Maurice by E.M. ForsterBrokeback Mountain by Annie ProulxThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeGiovanni's Room by James BaldwinTales of the City by Armistead Maupin
Best Gay Fiction
147th out of 1,091 books — 1,337 voters
Tales of the City by Armistead MaupinFairyland by Alysia AbbottThe Velvet Rage by Alan DownsThe Children's Hour by Lillian HellmanThe Laramie Project by Moisés Kaufman
LGBTQIA Literature
21st out of 37 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Bethany
This short story was far better and close to the actual movie than I expected. I absolutely adore Annie Proulx, though, so that's to be expected.

Honestly, I think more people should read the short story and actually pay attention to it, because this is not about "two gay cowboys". First of all, they aren't gay. Second of all, they aren't cowboys. Third of all, it's not about their romance. It's about homophobia and society pressure, both external and internal. And it is absolutely wonderful. By
Ann Canann
This little book of one-hundred sixty pages starts with Annie Proulx's spare and touching short story, "Brokeback Mountain". The story was originally published in "The New Yorker" in 1997.It is a tragedy of emotional deprivation. As in her other works, the place is immensely important. In this case it is rural Wyoming. It was a place and time (1963) when it was dangerous to be homosexual. A year after this story was published, Matthew Shepard was murdered in Wyoming. It is a state that has the h ...more
Iris
I absolutely loved the tragic lovestory of Jack and Enis, Brokeback Mountain is a touching story one must read! Their love feels so passionate but their story is heartbreaking. The script and how it came into being was really interesting to read. The view of the writer and the adapters on primary source and the eventual outcome is enlightening.
This is a must read, not only the short story but also how the adaptation came into being is worth reading.
Michael Burge
It's been years since I read this incredible piece of short fiction, and the accompanying screenplay adaptation makes it all the more compelling.

Here you'll find all the reasons why a gay man, almost forty, living in Wyoming, could not simply head off to San Francisco, in 1984, to embark on his happiest, out, days, as some critics of the movie wrote.

Proulx did not write a "Gay Cowboy Story", but something a lot more insightful: a tale of two men who could barely come out to themselves, let alone
Andrea Mullarkey
I’ve read Brokeback Mountain before, part of Annie Proulx’s Close Range. I remember thinking I’d have to read it again to really do it justice. Now I read it along with the screenplay and commentary on the adaptation process by Annie Proulx, Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana and I can say that this time I really did it justice. After this process I stand by my statement that it is lyrical and I’ll add that it was spare, intense, and poetic. The screenplay was a marvelous example of how a story can ...more
Kayla Sweet
I cried multiple times over the course of this short book. The short story, the screenplay, and the movie, all move me in different ways, but all made me sob, every time. I treasure this book.
Kelli Horne
Enjoy comparing story to script to movie, along with the inherent editing process.
Marri
Read this shortly before the film came out; retrospectively adding it.

Deeply moving.
Ira Livingston
Really enjoyed the development from short story to screenplay.
Jen
My first M/M romance. *sigh*

If you have not read this, you MUST. The writing is fucking beautiful; a true modern classic. It will break your heart, it will make you smile, it will change you. (Well, it did me, anyway.)

This book sets a high bar on novellas.

It is also one of the few books I've seen truly faithfully adapted to film, and if you have not seen Ang Lee's rendition, then go get it NOW. THE best film of the last decade, IMO.

...I think I'm due for a re-read.
Eolivet
Interesting. The essays were eh (sorry, don't care), but having the story and the screenplay next to each other really made you appreciate how McMurtry and Ossana expanded the short story into the movie -- taking small details and creating whole scenes and characters out of them. Annie Proulx probably needs to take herself less seriously, though. I can't imagine how her essay would've turned out if the movie had actually won Best Picture.
Whereis
Personally, I didn't care for the story and the articles from the author and screenwriters weren't that interesting.
Alene Sen
This book contains both the original sreenplay and the original novella. I read both. The novella was beautifully written. The screenplay gave it flesh, bone, and blood. I didn't see this story as a homosexual one, but simply a doomed love story that happen to be about two men. I don't usually enjoy tragic endings, but to have had any other ending would not have worked.
Tara
I watched the movie and was very confused so I rushed home to read the short story. I am glad I did, it answered a few of my questions. I was amazed at how closely the movie followed the short story, especially considering that movies have a hard time following novels. It took a lot of inferred information and turned it into storylines.
Rebecca
The plotline of the original short story was so well known, reading it was doomed to be anti-climactic. However implausible certain moments were for me in the story (genuineness of characters in sex scenes for example), the story to screen process presented in this volume made for a riveting, well-compiled read.

Prouix is masterful.
Aaron
I had forgotten how incredibly heartbreaking this story is. This particular book has the original story, the movie script, and essays from all three authors about the story. This story is a somber reminder of the tragedies that have occurred and still occur due to societal pressures concerning who you're allowed to love.
Angie
Had to read for class and watch the movie. Didn't read it traditionally, mostly skimmed the last bit of it. I did really like Annie Proulx's short story which the screenplay is adapted from. Anyway, it helped me appreciate the movie more, which is why I really liked it! I should read more of these "story to screenplay" books!
Steve
Apr 02, 2012 Steve rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: writers
Recommended to Steve by: Dani
Excellent short story and even better screenplay, but don't expect this book to explain why they made the changes and additions they did. It details the process of negotiating the rights, but not the actual screenwriting decisions.
Krista
The original story in the beginning of this book is boring, poorly written and impossibly detailed. It truly ruined the movie for me for a long time. Thankfully, the screenplay for the movie was far more interesting.
Ariel Spengler
Assigned reading for my Form and Idea class - wonderfully written short story and screenplay and interesting essays in the back from the author of the short story and the co-writers of the screenplay.
This is a fantastic short story and it was fascinating to read the screenplay as well, and to learn about the journey from story to film. I loved the essays from Proulx, McMurtry and Ossana.
Deborah
Annie Proulx's short story is brilliant, and Larry McMurtry & Diana Ossana wrote a fantastic screenplay based on it. fascinating to read about the process of adaptation too.
Rowan
Aug 27, 2008 Rowan added it
Shelves: 2008
Interesting combination of the story and screenplay in one book, but the explanatory essays at the end were interesting but lacking real meat re: the adaptation process.
I read this for my Literature and Film class. I probably would have only given one star if we hadn't had some pretty good discussion in class.
Saman
Apr 29, 2008 Saman added it

در صورت تمایل، جهت مشخصات فیلمی که بر اساس این کتاب ساخته شده‌ است؛ می‌توانید از لینک زیر استفاده بفرمایید
dee
gorgeous sparse prose, subtle, heartbreaking. the essays, particularly proulx's and mcmurtry's are also fascinating.
Linda
Fascinating to see how the screenplay differs from the short story on which it was based.
Skip
Words to describe the story: beautiful, poetic, longing, bittersweet, towering
Xikou
"If you can't fix it, you have to stand it."
  • Firefly: The Official Companion Volume Two (Firefly the Official Companion, #2)
  • War Against the Animals
  • Afterlife
  • Queer as Folk: The Book
  • Little Miss Sunshine: The Shooting Script
  • Breaking the Surface
  • Avatar: A Confidential Report on the Biological and Social History of Pandora
  • The Wives of Bath
  • The Master of Seacliff
  • The Lord Won't Mind (Peter & Charlie Trilogy)
  • The Temple
  • Hidden from History: Reclaiming the Gay and Lesbian Past
  • Taking Woodstock: A True Story of a Riot, a Concert, and a Life
1262010
Also published as E. Annie Proulx
Edna Annie Proulx is an American journalist and author. Her second novel, The Shipping News (1993), won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and the National Book Award for fiction in 1994. Her short story "Brokeback Mountain" was adapted as an Academy Award, BAFTA and Golden Globe Award-winning major motion picture released in 2005. Brokeback Mountain received massive c
More about Annie Proulx...
The Shipping News Brokeback Mountain Close Range Accordion Crimes Postcards