Start by marking “Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay” as Want to Read:
Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay

Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  1,095 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Annie Proulx has written some of the most original and brilliant short stories in contemporary literature, and for many readers and reviewers, "Brokeback Mountain" is her masterpiece. Now the major motion picture "Brokeback Mountain" is being hailed as equally masterful, with performances that are "the stuff of Hollywood history" "(The New York Times)." "Brokeback Mountain ...more
Published April 11th 2006 by Scribner Book Company (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Brokeback Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brokeback Mountain

Emilie Morscheck
Aug 07, 2016 Emilie Morscheck rated it really liked it
I had to read this book for my university course in screenwriting.

Anne Proulx's short story is lyrical and emotional. The screenplay really does a great job at expanding the short story and building on Proulx's tones. The script is sensitive and ends the way I have come to appreciate in stories - an end with no clear resolution, just the sense that life goes on. The extra material after the screenplay was interesting and provided an insight into Proulx's and the screen writers' experience the ad
Jeffrey
Sep 08, 2016 Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Shelves: changed-me
If you like to book you'll love this title. I came away with a much greater insight into the process of getting this made into a screenplay and the courageous men and women who made it happen. I was particularly impressed with their tenacity give the climate in the U.S. and the buzz created by a story that was completely mislabeled as a "gay cowboy story". Cheers to Annie & Ang. Well done and Cheers!
Bethany
Sep 30, 2012 Bethany rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-school
This short story was far better and close to the actual movie than I expected. I absolutely adore Annie Proulx, though, so that's to be expected.

Honestly, I think more people should read the short story and actually pay attention to it, because this is not about "two gay cowboys". First of all, they aren't gay. Second of all, they aren't cowboys. Third of all, it's not about their romance. It's about homophobia and society pressure, both external and internal. And it is absolutely wonderful. By
Trish
Dec 11, 2015 Trish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Run, don't walk, to find this one. Everyone knows the basic premise of the story, but the writing is truly amazing.
Skip
Feb 06, 2008 Skip rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay-fiction
Words to describe the story: beautiful, poetic, longing, bittersweet, towering
Xikou
Apr 16, 2013 Xikou rated it really liked it
"If you can't fix it, you have to stand it."
Katie Gliebe
Nov 15, 2016 Katie Gliebe rated it liked it
The language in this story is beautiful and paints a picturesque story. The story really develops in the short story, creating a story over two decades in a short amount of time.
Ann Canann
May 03, 2012 Ann Canann rated it really liked it
This little book of one-hundred sixty pages starts with Annie Proulx's spare and touching short story, "Brokeback Mountain". The story was originally published in "The New Yorker" in 1997.It is a tragedy of emotional deprivation. As in her other works, the place is immensely important. In this case it is rural Wyoming. It was a place and time (1963) when it was dangerous to be homosexual. A year after this story was published, Matthew Shepard was murdered in Wyoming. It is a state that has the h ...more
Kristine
Dec 20, 2015 Kristine rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-challenge
Book to Movie category for the 2015 Challenge. Read Annie Proulx's short story again. So laden with meaning and emotion. Then read McMurty/Ossana screenplay, concluding with commentaries from all three. The screenwriters so respectfully captured the essence of Ms Proulx's words and her characters. Ang Lee, the film director, honored Proulx, McMurtry, and Ossana. And the film's actors bestowed great honor on all four of them. I have always been most fond of simple mementos and found that Jack's a ...more
Michael Burge
Dec 31, 2013 Michael Burge rated it really liked it
It's been years since I read this incredible piece of short fiction, and the accompanying screenplay adaptation makes it all the more compelling.

Here you'll find all the reasons why a gay man, almost forty, living in Wyoming, could not simply head off to San Francisco, in 1984, to embark on his happiest, out, days, as some critics of the movie wrote.

Proulx did not write a "Gay Cowboy Story", but something a lot more insightful: a tale of two men who could barely come out to themselves, let alone
Andrea Mullarkey
Aug 03, 2012 Andrea Mullarkey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: screenplay
I’ve read Brokeback Mountain before, part of Annie Proulx’s Close Range. I remember thinking I’d have to read it again to really do it justice. Now I read it along with the screenplay and commentary on the adaptation process by Annie Proulx, Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana and I can say that this time I really did it justice. After this process I stand by my statement that it is lyrical and I’ll add that it was spare, intense, and poetic. The screenplay was a marvelous example of how a story can ...more
Claudia Marin
Dec 12, 2015 Claudia Marin rated it it was amazing
A strong, powerful, and sometimes rough short novel which describes the growing and unexpected love between two individuals who share something too powerful to be left aside. I never watched the movie, but decided to find out what the novel was about. And I found myself completely amazed by the strength and authenticity of the narration, as much by a subtle description of the inevitable nature of a human bond.
Iris Windmeijer
I absolutely loved the tragic lovestory of Jack and Enis, Brokeback Mountain is a touching story one must read! Their love feels so passionate but their story is heartbreaking. The script and how it came into being was really interesting to read. The view of the writer and the adapters on primary source and the eventual outcome is enlightening.
This is a must read, not only the short story but also how the adaptation came into being is worth reading.
Eolivet
Aug 05, 2008 Eolivet rated it liked it
Interesting. The essays were eh (sorry, don't care), but having the story and the screenplay next to each other really made you appreciate how McMurtry and Ossana expanded the short story into the movie -- taking small details and creating whole scenes and characters out of them. Annie Proulx probably needs to take herself less seriously, though. I can't imagine how her essay would've turned out if the movie had actually won Best Picture.
Jen
My first M/M romance. *sigh*

If you have not read this, you MUST. The writing is fucking beautiful; a true modern classic. It will break your heart, it will make you smile, it will change you. (Well, it did me, anyway.)

This book sets a high bar on novellas.

It is also one of the few books I've seen truly faithfully adapted to film, and if you have not seen Ang Lee's rendition, then go get it NOW. THE best film of the last decade, IMO.

...I think I'm due for a re-read.
Cassie
Jun 04, 2016 Cassie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this pretty quickly and enjoyed it. While the movie is immensely better than the story it was still great to see the original source material for the movie. I liked this book and would recommend it to anyone that wants to compare the script to the original. Also there are some phenomenal essays by other people that were involved with the movie in this particular edition as well.
Simon Fletcher
Mar 29, 2016 Simon Fletcher rated it really liked it
This is as much a great idea as it is a great book containing as it does the original short story (which in a mere 30 pages is a truely heartbreaking story of love and loss), the screenplay and three monographs on the experience of writing the story, the screenplay and on the making of the film. As such it is a great insight into the film world.
Alene Sen
May 02, 2013 Alene Sen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book contains both the original sreenplay and the original novella. I read both. The novella was beautifully written. The screenplay gave it flesh, bone, and blood. I didn't see this story as a homosexual one, but simply a doomed love story that happen to be about two men. I don't usually enjoy tragic endings, but to have had any other ending would not have worked.
Tara
Aug 22, 2010 Tara rated it liked it
I watched the movie and was very confused so I rushed home to read the short story. I am glad I did, it answered a few of my questions. I was amazed at how closely the movie followed the short story, especially considering that movies have a hard time following novels. It took a lot of inferred information and turned it into storylines.
Rebecca
Apr 27, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it
The plotline of the original short story was so well known, reading it was doomed to be anti-climactic. However implausible certain moments were for me in the story (genuineness of characters in sex scenes for example), the story to screen process presented in this volume made for a riveting, well-compiled read.

Prouix is masterful.
Aaron
Nov 01, 2012 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I had forgotten how incredibly heartbreaking this story is. This particular book has the original story, the movie script, and essays from all three authors about the story. This story is a somber reminder of the tragedies that have occurred and still occur due to societal pressures concerning who you're allowed to love.
Angie
Mar 24, 2013 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-for-class
Had to read for class and watch the movie. Didn't read it traditionally, mostly skimmed the last bit of it. I did really like Annie Proulx's short story which the screenplay is adapted from. Anyway, it helped me appreciate the movie more, which is why I really liked it! I should read more of these "story to screenplay" books!
Yanira
Jul 08, 2016 Yanira rated it it was amazing
I just finished this and I chocked up badly. Love makes time pass too quickly and our regrets ages us in ways that is hard to understand.

At first, it was hard to get into the story. The language is dense and I had a hard time grasping the scene, but holy moly once I did I was in it. I want to reread it at some point.
Steve
Apr 02, 2012 Steve rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: writers
Recommended to Steve by: Dani
Excellent short story and even better screenplay, but don't expect this book to explain why they made the changes and additions they did. It details the process of negotiating the rights, but not the actual screenwriting decisions.
Ariel Spengler
Apr 18, 2012 Ariel Spengler rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Assigned reading for my Form and Idea class - wonderfully written short story and screenplay and interesting essays in the back from the author of the short story and the co-writers of the screenplay.
Krista
Nov 07, 2009 Krista rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The original story in the beginning of this book is boring, poorly written and impossibly detailed. It truly ruined the movie for me for a long time. Thankfully, the screenplay for the movie was far more interesting.
5andrina
Dec 29, 2015 5andrina rated it it was amazing
un libro que por su extensión se lee en un periquete. Al haber visto antes la película no me sorprendió nada de la trama, aunque no por ello dejaron de impresionarme ciertas partes. Una historia de amor prohibido que no te deja indiferente. Perfecto para leer entre libros.
Jan 19, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic short story and it was fascinating to read the screenplay as well, and to learn about the journey from story to film. I loved the essays from Proulx, McMurtry and Ossana.
Miz
Jul 23, 2012 Miz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Martina Jošavac
Jan 17, 2016 Martina Jošavac rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking story about passion, cultural "norms" and foremost love, yeah that's the core of it all, love.
  • Queer as Folk: The Book
  • Titanic: James Cameron's Illustrated Screenplay
  • War Against the Animals
  • Firefly: The Official Companion Volume Two (Firefly the Official Companion, #2)
  • Brother to Brother: New Writing by Black Gay Men
  • Afterlife
  • The Temple
  • Hate To Love You
  • Hidden from History: Reclaiming the Gay and Lesbian Past
  • The Lord Won't Mind (Peter & Charlie Trilogy)
  • Avatar: A Confidential Report on the Biological and Social History of Pandora
  • Black Knight, Volume 02
  • Notes on Thought and Vision
  • The Wives of Bath
1262010
Also published as E. Annie Proulx
Edna Annie Proulx is an American journalist and author. Her second novel, The Shipping News (1993), won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and the National Book Award for fiction in 1994. Her short story "Brokeback Mountain" was adapted as an Academy Award, BAFTA and Golden Globe Award-winning major motion picture released in 2005. Brokeback Mountain received massive c
More about Annie Proulx...