Start by marking “Zohar” as Want to Read:
Zohar

Zohar

One of the great masterpieces of Western religious thought, the Zohar represents an attempt to uncover hidden meanings behind the world of appearances. It is the central work in the literature of the Kabbalah, the Jewish mystical tradition.
Published March 1st 1990 by Verdier

To ask other readers questions about Zohar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zohar

Jeffrey Cohan
Dec 13, 2010 Jeffrey Cohan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality, judaism
No book in Judaism is subject to more misperception than The Zohar, the central text of Kabbalah,

Contrary to popular perception, The Zohar is not a coherent explanation of Kabbalistic thought.

Rather, The Zohar is simply a commentary on the Torah, albeit a mystical one.

Today, even your neighborhood Barnes and Nobles stocks several books with Kabbalistic themes. But for a peek at the real Zohar, it’s hard to beat scholar Gershom Scholem’s slender “Zohar: The Book of Splendor.”

While Scholem wrote a
Lightsey
I forgot that I went through this last summer. I didn't read it, exactly, but I did what I could. Very interesting the way the scholars carve up syntax, turning relative pronouns into questions and prepositional phrases into nouns. Suffice it to say I'm not a mystic, so I found the method more interesting than the matter. . . mad reading, creative reading.
Gabriel Clarke
Oct 06, 2016 Gabriel Clarke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
This has been on my shelf for a while. The star rating is, of course, wholly meaningless when applied to this kind of text. Baffling, frustrating, but occasionally illuminating. One to come back to when I'm better informed.
Steve Maddux
Feb 14, 2017 Steve Maddux rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy access to the Kabbalah

A pleasanter entry into the world (or worlds) of the Kabbalah could scarcely be imagined. Very satisfying, yet it whets the appetite for more.
Greg
Jun 15, 2007 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: judaism, mysticism
This is a good book to use for an introductory class on Zohar. The selections of the Zohar presented are well translated and it includes a helpful commentary.

Zohar itself is a mystical and philosophical text presented in the form of Midrash. Each midrash on a given verse or verses of the Bible can be read at multiple levels. As Daniel Matt suggests in the Introduction of this book. Perhaps the best way to read the Zohar is just to read it, let it blow your mind, and get out of it what you get ou
Lauren
Dec 02, 2008 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting. I'm sure I'll never understand the Kabbalah (I'm probably too old to even start trying) but there were several interesting bits in here giving me a different perspective on religion as a whole and Judaism in general. Once again I find myself thinking that if I did have to pick a "culturally acceptable religion," I'd probably be a Jew.
Terra Bosart
A more simple introduction to the Zohar and Kabbalah, good for beginners or people looking to learn what the Zohar is.
Jim
This slender volume has deepened my appreciation of the hidden wisdom contained in the Old Testament. I want to read more on the subject of the Kabbalah.
J.
Mr. Matt is, of course, the translator; he is not, so far as I know, identical to the thirteenth-century Spanish Rabbi Moses de Leon, the Zohar's soi-disant editor and likely author.

Marcus Matossian
Dec 28, 2009 Marcus Matossian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book out of curiosity from the university Library and found it quite amusing to read and make connections between it and other beliefs.
Justin
The translation seems good, but the commentary seems to fall short of higher truth signified by the text in parts.
Dennis A.
Dennis A. rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2014
Sandra
Sandra rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2012
Shannon McCue
Shannon McCue rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2007
Greg
Greg rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2009
Pasquale
Pasquale rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2013
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2013
James Bean
James Bean rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2012
Rachele Rosi-Kessel
Rachele Rosi-Kessel rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2016
Huri E.
Huri E. rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2009
Jef Travis
Jef Travis rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Zoltan
Zoltan rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2015
Sanne
Sanne rated it it was ok
Oct 14, 2014
Irene
Irene rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2007
Andrew Nolan
Andrew Nolan rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2014
Liviu
Liviu rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2015
David Hirt
David Hirt rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2011
Alice
Alice rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2014
Stephen pieraldi
Stephen pieraldi rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2012
Karen Gold
Karen Gold rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2012
  • On the Kabbalah and Its Symbolism
  • Sefer Yetzirah: The Book of Creation: In Theory and Practice
  • The Essential Kabbalah: The Heart of Jewish Mysticism
  • The Kabbalah Unveiled
  • God Is a Verb
  • The Thirteen Petalled Rose: A Discourse on the Essence of Jewish Existence and Belief
  • The Book of Letters: A Mystical Hebrew Alphabet
  • Hermetica: The Greek Corpus Hermeticum and the Latin Asclepius in a New English Translation, with Notes and Introduction
  • The Occult Philosophy in the Elizabethan Age (Routledge Classics)
  • Back to the Sources
  • Tanakh: The Holy Scriptures
  • The Middle Pillar: The Balance Between Mind and Magic
  • Tales of the Hasidim, Vols 1-2
  • The Book of J
  • The Desert Fathers: Sayings of the Early Christian Monks
  • Messengers of God: Biblical Portraits and Legends
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...