The Mammoth Book Of Science Fiction

The Mammoth Book Of Science Fiction

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  4 reviews
An anthology of science-fiction stories since 1950 by such masters of the genre as: Stephen Baxter; Brian W. Aldiss; Michael Swanwick; Philip K. Dick; and Peter Hamilton. The collection includes tales of travel through space and time, aliens coming to Earth and the pull of black holes.
Hardcover
Published May 1st 2002 by Constable & Robinson (first published April 16th 2002)

Werner
Aug 01, 2010 Werner rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Science fiction fans
July 31, 2010
Though I'd never put it on my "read" shelf earlier, this SF anthology is another one I'd read most of over the last several years, but just hadn't read all of so as to be able to review it. I'm hoping to spread my review over a couple of days, rather than try to write the whole thing tonight (since we're expecting a webcam call from our daughter later this evening).

Carroll and Graf's Mammoth series offers anthologies of stories drawn from practically any genre or theme that can be s...more
Richard Anderson
Some good stuff here.
Neyly
I find this a hard book to rate: I actively disliked some of the stories while thinking others really good. At one point, my rating would have been a one but I persevered. My final rating falls somewhere between "it was okay" and "I liked it." I'm going with two stars rather than three stars (which I considered because I liked a goodly number of the short stories), in part because the book needed a better editor: no excuse for misspelled words.

Jien
A few of the stories were not as good, but most of them were great enough to earn this anthology a five star rating.
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Wendy Christine Allen
Wendy Christine Allen marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
AAAlien
AAAlien marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
John Adkins
John Adkins marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Shellie Heaton
Shellie Heaton marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Eero Piilokivi
Eero Piilokivi marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Beatrice
Beatrice marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Thewalkinglexicon
Thewalkinglexicon marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Jah H.
Jah H. marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Elle
Elle added it
Mar 24, 2014
Errel Braude
Errel Braude marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Poeticdemise
Poeticdemise marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Raymond
Raymond marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Sally Jessica Hvid
Sally Jessica Hvid marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Changes to new Science Fiction...? 1 1 Apr 06, 2014 08:24AM
Michael Raymond Donald Ashley is the author and editor of over sixty books that in total have sold over a million copies worldwide. He lives in Chatham, Kent.
More about Mike Ashley...
The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy II The Mammoth Book Of Extreme Science Fiction The Mammoth Book of Apocalyptic SF