New School

New School

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  22 reviews
In this brand new graphic novel from the acclaimed author of Bottomless Belly Button and BodyWorld, Dash Shaw dramatizes the story of a boy moving to an exotic country and his infatuation with an unfamiliar culture that quickly shifts to disillusionment. A sense of "being different" grows to alienation, until he angrily blames this once-enchanting land for his feelings of...more
Published July 5th 2013 by Fantagraphics Books (first published June 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about New School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New School

Andrew Anony
This is a really odd comicbook. I'm not really sure what to make of it. The plot is straight-forward enough to begin with. The protagonist is a young, religious boy - and I think his characterization is accurate enough, he's quite strange. The boy's older brother goes to a strange country to teach English to the natives that will begin working at a theme-park tourist destination. The book was interesting to me specifically because I was looking into teaching English in China this summer (a frien...more
Raina
I read Dash Shaw to stretch my brain.

His aesthetic is pretty out there. Most of his illustrations are clumsy, thick-penned drawings, and occasionally he prints (screen-prints?) a color, or even a photograph, in the background.
His work is cerebral, and trippy, and makes me think. It's occasionally hard to follow, often twisted, and generally self-pleasuring.

THIS book is about a pair of brothers living in a world where Theme Parks are A THING. One mogul has created a time-travel-themed park on a...more
Jeff Jackson
--Can't understand all the bad reviews for this one. Especially the ones mystified by the straightforward & entertaining story. Anyone who's a fan of Dash Shaw's "Bottomless Belly Button" or "Body World" should enjoy this.
--It's partly set in a slightly alternate reality where people talk in stylized exclamations! They're easily excitable!!!
--Avant garde theme parks. An idea whose time has come.
--The most unique color design I've ever seen in a graphic novel - layering paint and collage ov...more
Ingrid
Dash Shaw -- officially the Handsomest Comics Artist in the World and writer of one of my favorite doorstops, "Bottomless Belly Button" -- may have lost me on this one. On the surface, "New School" is about a young man whose parents send him on a mission to the amusement park Clockworld (located on the mysterious island of X and run by a potential madman) to retrieve his brother, who went there to work a couple years ago and never returned. But why do the young protagonist and his parents speak...more
Rebecca Goodchild
New School felt purposely random in order to test the limits of artistic expression. I felt as though the point was to leave the reader feeling confused and disappointed as a way to highlight the almost stream-of-consciousness, childishly crazed, sharpie graphic art. At times, the font was very difficult to read due to the crazed sharpie action. Hasn't edgy art been done for the sake of trying it a long time ago? This book was on NPR's list of the best books of 2013. Sometimes I get the impressi...more
David Schaafsma
This is visually interesting and maybe even ambitious, but the story seems almost psychotically random, like it was being developed as it went… two brothers go to X, another country or planet or an island and crazy things happen. You know, I thought it was constantly and maybe deliberately confusing, as if he were actually trying to do something experimental.. but it doesn't finally seem interesting to me at all. At this very moment, I think it is just terrible, but maybe somebody could talk me...more
Derek Royal
I'm going to have to think about this book for awhile. And reread it. It's certainly a unique approach to comics storytelling, and I'm sure there are things I did not get the first time around. Most prominent, and possibly most challenging to reading, is Shaw's use of color and background patterns throughout the book. Again, I have to go back through and read his coloring to better understand it.
Bonnie
The coloring in this book gave me a headache and was really disorienting. That may have been intended, but it did not make for something I could read more than half of. I was excited to read this because I loved Bodyworld so much, but I felt disconnected from the story, annoyed with the colors, and unimpressed with the smudgy, child-like artwork.
Jen
This book was just so. weird. I think the idea behind it had interesting potential. The artwork is gorgeous BUT the coloring makes it hard to read or even see what is going on in the panels, which hampers the storytelling.
Kim Trusty
Yeah... Uhm... Weird. Hated the dated way in which Danny spoke. Sounded weird and pretentious. Maybe that was the point. Being a strange person in a strange land doesn't mean you have to be an asshole.
Anna Lancaster
I wasn't to keen on this. The aesthetics didn't really help the story for me.
Kate
I loved the art, but the story felt forced.
Sonic
Weird Wacky and Wonderful story from Dash Shaw. It seemed like he wanted to try a freer and faster art making process as well as producing a faster paced read. He succeeded. The art is not as gorgeous as in his amazing "Body World" but as I said it made the pacing of the story much faster.
Humorous and strange, I really dig this guy's original approach to graphic story-telling.
Kevin Cortez

Overall, New School is an superb read that blends surreal and innovative storytelling with translucent colors and bold lines. This hardcover binds together a terrific showcase of expressive colors and lines with an emotional comic-of-age story. Dash Shaw succeeds in telling a fine tale in a fantastic, woozy, and drunken way.
Koen Claeys
I love how Dash Shaw has always managed to cross the borders of what defines a comic book, meanwhile telling a captivating story. While 'New School' is, again, a book full of surprises, I feel a bit underwhelmed in comparison with his former work.
Kirsten
I think… I don't really get it. Some of it works really well for me -- the culture shock and alienation and sibling rivalry are explored handily. Overall, though, I think it was just… too weird for me, maybe. I dunno. I couldn't quite get on board.
Mike
Aug 20, 2013 Mike rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: comic
I'm going to give this a three because I have no idea. Shaw is on a whole different level from everyone else and I can't honestly tell if it's above or below. It's sideways.
Stu
It's more of a illustrated psychedelic trip/freak out than a graphic novel......little real plot, but it works
Danielle
Underwhelmed by the art, but I liked the story.
Stephanie
Napoleon Dynamite meets Phillip Guston.
Amanda Foust
Nope. Not for me. Couldn't even finish.
Keith
This is an ugly book.
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Kate Harmon
Kate Harmon marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Jared J
Jared J marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
  • The Adventures of Superhero Girl
  • Red Handed: The Fine Art of Strange Crimes
  • Red Colored Elegy
  • Everything We Miss
  • Ed the Happy Clown (A Yummy Fur Book)
Dash Shaw is a cartoonist and animator in Brooklyn, New York. His latest graphic novel is "New School", about two brothers on an island where an ambitious amusement park is under construction. His other books include the telepathy comedy "Bodyworld" and the family comedy-drama "Bottomless Belly Button". His animated works include the Sigur Ros video and Sundance selection "Seraph", "Wheel of Fortu...more
More about Dash Shaw...
Bottomless Belly Button BodyWorld The Unclothed Man in the 35th Century A.D. The Mother's Mouth 3 New Stories