Start by marking “The Evil Empire” as Want to Read:
The Evil Empire

The Evil Empire

In The Evil Empire, Steven A. Grasse exposes the secret history of England’s global misdeeds. He asks what few have dared to ask: Having spent the better half of the millennium
turning the world into their personal litter box, where do the English get off blaming everything on America?

After all, whose imperialistic shenanigans is Osama bin Laden really trying to avenge?
Published March 1st 2007 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about The Evil Empire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Evil Empire

Kay
Jun 16, 2010 Kay rated it did not like it
Drivel!

This is supposed to be funny, but it's about as funny as watching a kitten getting run over. Where to begin?

Oh, why not... with the book jacket blurb: "Steven A. Grasse is a man of many talents. (of which writing is manifestly not one). He is the founder and CEO of a large independent ad agency, owns several successful clothing and liquor brands, and has written and directed many independent films. (And this makes him an authority on Britain....how precisely?) This is his first book. (A
Louise
1 Star for the illustrations - 0 stars for the writing

Homophobic, sexist, and obsessed with the British pagan agenda (like...wut? That's not a thing!). Poorly researched, inaccurate, and deliberately misleading with the few facts it does get right. Instead of being funny (I think that's what it was aiming for) it just comes out as bitter, and more than a little deluded, ramblings.

Illustrations are pretty stylish though.
Al
Jan 16, 2008 Al rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: History Buffs
Funny & Entertaining. BUT, it was harsh and unneccessary in some parts. It was almost like a joke that has gone too far yet the teaser doesn't get it. I thought some points were excellent and well thought out; others were just crude and mean. I have British friends, and this adds to my jokes. But, I will draw the line.
Ian
Jan 30, 2008 Ian rated it it was ok
Funny, witty, and clever.
Until a marked point about halfway through, after which point it starts chest-thumping for America.
Cassandra Miller
Mickey
Apr 24, 2016 Mickey rated it it was ok
Firstly, this book had potential. The illustrations are quite good, the chapters are categorised very well and from the cover, it looks as though this could be a very interesting read, with some pilger-like research to give the reader some sense that England (even if a root cause, despite the Roman / Greek empires being earlier) is really just one country of many that are today in 'partnership' with many others, some holding a more powerful rank, who dictate world events such as the global ...more
Martin
Aug 01, 2011 Martin added it
If I could give this book negative stars I would. It is undoubtedly the worst book I've read in the last 5 years or more. I now have the predicament of deciding what to do with it. I am embarrassed to put it on my bookshelf. It would be disservice to society for me to give it away to a friend or donate it to a library.

In terms of writing it is a mess. The author should have just spend the time to actually learn some history and it an of itself would have been enough to make an interesting book.
Molly
Meh. One or two of the topics are pretty interesting, such as how Britain created the first concentration camps, while most were truly stupid; "Harry Potter, the 'boy wizard,'...is but the latest attempt of the underground Druid elite to reestablish their credibility in the twenty-first century."[return]Other stupid entries are about Britain's pagan ancestors (he is obsessed with this topic), Britain did not pull their own weight on D-Day since they did not suffer as many casualties as America ...more
Mike
Jan 01, 2008 Mike rated it liked it
This book was good. Which is actually kind of a disappointment, because i was expecting excellent. The author goes for some rather petty and childish options where there is no need. Britain's control and exploitation of India, Africa, Hong Kong, Australia, New Guinea, and Iraq could alone take up volumes on how to ruin the world. The point is that while this book is fun and entertaining it seems rather shallow and petty when compared to the real ways in which Britain has ruined the world and ...more
Erika
Apr 26, 2011 Erika rated it it was ok
I was going to read every word in it but I couldn't .
It's unpleasant.

Let me quote daily mail's book review;
'Americans are sick to death of being the world's whipping-boys. They hate seeing their young generation voice its shame about Iraq, environmental destruction, George Bush, McDonald's, Microsoft's monopolism and all the other global atrocities laid at America's door.'

'They want to see their own people walk tall again, and they are groping around for ways to achieve this. The most obvious is
Diana Vale Balatico
Mar 14, 2012 Diana Vale Balatico rated it did not like it
Um...

I don't hate or really like British people in general. But honestly, this book is taking it too far. You honestly have to make a book on how Britain ruined the world? Please. Every country has degraded this world, but how much is another thing.

Either way, I'm just here to say that this book is stupid and stereotypical. Very, dudes.
Jennie
Jul 19, 2008 Jennie rated it really liked it
This book was laugh out loud funny. Easy to read in bits and pieces - just a couple of paragraphs for each of the 101 ways Britian has ruined the world.
Why did I read it? I guess it sounded funny. My mother-in-law was born in Britian, but is a naturalized American now. It will be fun to tease her about some of this.
Courtney
Oct 18, 2012 Courtney rated it did not like it
Is there a way I can give this book a zero? It was the worst thing I've ever read. A copy of Playboy from the '60s would have more intelligent commentary and, shockingly, less racism and homophobia.
Elaine
Elaine rated it did not like it
Jun 27, 2013
Badb
Badb rated it it was ok
Oct 03, 2008
John
John rated it did not like it
Dec 03, 2008
Ashley
Ashley rated it did not like it
Mar 05, 2013
Simon
Simon rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2012
Dean Adams
Dean Adams rated it did not like it
May 07, 2014
Stephen McQuiggan
Stephen McQuiggan rated it liked it
May 13, 2015
K
K rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2013
dr spangle
dr spangle rated it did not like it
May 06, 2013
Jim
Jim rated it it was ok
Apr 02, 2011
Michelle Parker
Michelle Parker rated it it was ok
Jun 15, 2013
Elwyn Gonzalez
Elwyn Gonzalez rated it it was ok
Aug 09, 2011
Kristin LiBretto
Kristin LiBretto rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2016
Ania Wieckowski
Ania Wieckowski rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2012
Kevin Seymour
Kevin Seymour rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Meghan M
Meghan M rated it it was ok
Jan 23, 2013