Start by marking “Mary Pickford: Canada's Silent Siren, America's Sweetheart” as Want to Read:
Mary Pickford: Canada's Silent Siren, America's Sweetheart

Mary Pickford: Canada's Silent Siren, America's Sweetheart

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Mary Pickfords ambition, passion, innate talent, and savvy business acumen sent her career into the stratosphere and set the blueprint for the modern movie star. Born Gladys Louise Smith in 1892, Pickford was raised in a house on University Avenue in Toronto and began her acting career on the stage. However, her determination led her to the new world of motion pictures, wh ...more
Published September 14th 2011 by Dundurn Group (CA) (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Mary Pickford, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mary Pickford

Meg Marie
The problem with downloading books from the library is sometimes I can't get a sense of what they're actually like, so I didn't realize that this was a young adult biography. So, nothing too incredibly detailed, but an interesting read, and now I at least know some facts about early Hollywood that might stand me in good stead in a trivia contest.
Michelle
the classic film stars thrill me. Mary has always interested me because of what she accomplished in the budding world we call Hollywood. she also married Buddy Rogers which makes me happy because Wings is one of my all time fave films. read this if you like the silent stars. there was no one like her. once you're done, watch one of her films.
Victoria Shepherd
It would have been wonderful to have had more details about this fascinating woman, and more photos, but perhaps these were not available as a function of her time.
Lissa
Lissa is currently reading it
Oct 23, 2014
Judith
Judith marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Cyndi
Cyndi marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Britney
Britney marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
David Horton
David Horton marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Igor Kolotilin
Igor Kolotilin marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Cyn
Cyn marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Kerrie
Kerrie marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2013
Maria
Maria added it
Sep 26, 2012

Peggy was the second of five children in a family where the favourite gift at Christmas and birthdays was always a book. Born in Toronto, Peggy spent her growing up years moving from place to place, due to her father’s frequent RCAF postings.
Early in life, Peggy discovered a love of writing, and cver the years she'd been submitting stories for publication with little success. But in 1976, with he
More about Peggy Dymond Leavey...
The Deep End Gang Growing Up Ivy The Path Through the Trees Sky Lake Summer Laura Secord: Heroine of the War of 1812