Start by marking “Liar's Game” as Want to Read:
Liar's Game

Liar's Game

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  2,203 ratings  ·  59 reviews
The author of the sensational bestsellers, Cheaters, Friends and Lovers, Milk in My Coffee, and Sister, Sister, delivers his most boldly honest novel yet -- the story of a love that starts with a lie.
Published July 1st 2000 by Dutton Adult (first published June 26th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Liar's Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liar's Game

Tamara Evans
Eric Jerome Dickey's latest book is true of relationships between not only african-americans, but all people. I just finished reading his last book "Cheaters" when I decided to read this book. Needless to say, I finished the book having gained an new insight into relationships.

The two main characters of the book are very realistic and well-written. Both are people who although they have secrets from the past, chose to not tell each other for fear of what will happen. This is so true, especially
Debra
another author who's books i can't put down.
E Wilson

I like the way this author creates characters. Sometimes there is an unlikable character, but
then he shows a weakness or vulnerability that makes me reconsider my opinion. Vince and Dana start
a relationship with both of them hiding and/or lying about their pasts. Dana finds out about
Vince's ex-wife and the existence of his daughter. I was appalled at the way she snooped in his
mail and his phone calls. She was jealous of not only his ex-wife , but his daughter. She doesn't
tell him about her fina
Stasha
Maybe it's because the first time I have read an Eric Jerome Dickey novel in eight years, but I didn't find "Liar's Game" much to shout about. The relationship between the main characters was quite complex (hence the reference to it being a game), so there was much going on, with a surprise or two towards the end. It was enough to keep me wanting to read it but at the same time wanting to finish story. I just wasn't into it the way I had anticipated to be :(
Shakiera Crmichael
Sep 16, 2008 Shakiera Crmichael rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone having a problem similar to this one.
Shelves: love
From this book,i learned that you DO NOT start a relationship off with lies. You shouldn't want to lie anyway.
This book is a good book though,it tells about a real life sitution,something that could happen in real life.
Its also about love and how love over powers a lot of things.
This would be a good book for you to read if you want to learn how to get through a situation llike the one thay had in this book..I liked this book alot.
Candace G.
Never again will I read this book. I'm a fan of Dickey's work (besides that murder mystery ish he's doing now). But THIS book...I struggled to finish it. So many times I wanted to toss it to the side. And when I was mad at Dana's character for her selfish ways, I wanted to throw this book into incoming traffic.

Let me say this: don't let my comment discourage you from reading this book. I, MYSELF, DIDN'T LIKE IT. And I will never read it again. I struggled from the very beginning to give this bo
Natalie
I wanted to like this book; it came highly recommended. But I got about a quarter of the way in and realized I really couldn't stand it anymore. The writing was way too jargonistic and the unlikable, immature characters just seemed trashy. I flipped throught the rest and was glad I didn't bother with it. It was like a whole season of the Jerry Springer Show.
No thanks.
Valerie Williams
Running from a bad relationship that lasted way too long, New York native Dana Ann Smith leaves the city and moves to Los Angeles --the perfect place to start over with a new atmosphere, a new job, and a new man. When she meets Vincent Calvary Browne, Jr., he seems like a dream come true; handsome, hardworking with a good job, and sexy in a sting, silent kind of way. But that silence also means, he's not letting Dana in on a few important things about his life. When both Dana's former lover and ...more
Jania
I really enjoyed reading this book. I love how EJD writes. I didn't feel like I was reading a book. I felt like I was being told a story by a friend. Definitely a good read!
Mia
liked this one.
Jackie Williams

The that i read is called Liar's Game. Its written by Eric Jerome Dickey. This book is an urban fiction book. The message that Eric is trying to send out to the reader's is to never deal with a chick when you still keep in touch with your ex-wife.
Liar's Game is about a man named Vince who is divorced and he has a daughter with his ex-wife. He's lonely and looking for a partner. Vince is almost thirty yrs old and both of his parents are dead. One day he was at a club,he seen a beautiful girl na
Reasybereading
This was the very first book that got me reading EJD's books eventually. I may read it again just to reflect on his earlier work. Loved the characters and how it flowed for me.
Briana
Jun 21, 2010 Briana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone willing to learn a lesson about relationships
A friend let me hold this book one day while we were eating lunch. She departed from the lunch table forgetting that I was completely enthralled in the book, so that left me with the book for the whole winter break...Yay Me!!! Nobody could've made me put the book down. This was the first book I have read from EJD and I have been hook to his writing since. Yeah some of his books were said to be a little "risqué" for my age of 15 back then (now i'm 18) but I possessed a rare quality called maturit ...more
Jesse Pearson
This books reminds me of how people really do hold back telling certain about there past for feari g the unknown of what someone will think are say
The Book Posh
Surprisingly, I enjoyed this book. I could have done without all of the geographical references, but all in all it was a page turner. It was interesting and I enjoyed all of the characters.
La Tonya  Jordan
Jan 25, 2015 La Tonya Jordan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to La Tonya by: Book Readers, Inc. Book Club
Shelves: good-read
This was light and quick reading.

Relationships are hard to maintain. But, when pass hurts are involved and lie turns into another lie. It becomes almost impossible to know what the truth truly is. What Dana and Vince found out is that true relationships need honesty to begin and flourish.
J
(FROM JACKET)Dana Ann Smith has ditched New York City-and a relationship gone bad-for Los Angeles, looking for a new man, a new career, and some stability. She thinks she's found it in Vince Calvary Brown, Jr., a handsome, hardworking aerospace tech. They've offered just enough of themselves to make it a perfect romance. And they've withheld just enough to ruin it. When their secrets come to light, Dana and Vince come face-to-face with the fact that the passionate game between lovers and liars h ...more
Judy
This book was pretty disappointing. My hubby was friends with the author. He kept telling me how funny Dickey was. Apparently, he was brilliant at improv and an amazing stand-up comic. I guess this review isn't very fair because I fully expected the book to be funny or at least have very humorous moments. Nope. None. So not funny... It's a romance novel wrought with drama. It really could have used some humor to lighten things up a bit. I think it would have added a lot depth to the novel. It's ...more
Christel
I love Eric Jarome Dickey's books...they are sort of a guilty pleasure of mine. They can have romance in them, but I wouldn't call them "romance novels" really. They are easy to read and give me a taste of African American culture that I normally wouldn't experience (for obvious reasons). I learn things from his books as well as enjoy the clever dialogue and pop culture references. Oh, and the romantic parts are sooo steamy :)
Kolibear Jimenez
I have had this book on my shelf for years and didn't read it. I just finished the book today. It was very entertaining. Eric jerome Dickey really captures the life style of living in LA. The characters are believable and their situations hit home sometimes. it was a fast read and I wanted more. Makes me think about situations I have found myself in and see what making the wrong move can do. Good Job Mr. Dickey.
Jay Williams
Great story line, but the book was very choppy and jumped around too much for my liking. Glad I read it though.
Rekara
Probably a 3.5
I love the way EJD writes! I loved Vince's character; I disliked Dana and because of that I was less interested reading her sections. Overall, it was worth the read. Quick and entertaining.
Amelia
Maybe I've outgrown Eric Jerome Dickey, but for me this book was just okay. This book was a typical Dickey novel, complete with tantalizing descriptions of lust and love, quarrels between lovers, and break-ups and make-ups. Having read several of Dickey's books, this one was very predictable.
Jadaine
If you've read EJD before, this one isn't very much different.

I enjoyed the book a fair amount but seemed a little too long winded- only to come to a point that was obvious about ten chapters previously.

If you're an EJD fan looking for a twist in his writing.. This book isn't for you.
Diane
It was nice to read a more laid-back novel after all of the other reading I've been doing this summer. This book was sexually explicit, corny, and filled with many lessons about love and lies. The ending left me with wanting a little more, but I liked it nonetheless.
Sherrall
Loved the book. It was loving, sad, dramatic all in one. Really enjoyed the fact that it was more of a story than just sex. It was just enough to make you wanna read more.A FUNNY AND REALISTIC LOOK AT RELATIONSHIPS OF THE HEART.
Sasha
Currently reading this book - I believe I read this book, but sadly enough can't remember....

Good book! - Is there a sequel? I would love to know what happens with Dana and Vince....
Alexis
Omg! This book is so good! But you have to be michure enough to handle the dialogue.. Lol. It is really fast pace and keeps your nose in the book the whole time! (:
T'Laina D.
U lie, I lie, we all lie... Oh well, if we gonna be together we will. This is the thinking that they have in this book. Eventually they get it together.
  • Abide With Me
  • Leslie
  • He's Just A Friend
  • Married Men
  • A Taste of Reality
Eric Jerome Dickey was born in Memphis, Tennessee and attended the University of Memphis (the former Memphis State), where he earned his degree in Computer System Technology. In 1983, he moved to Los Angeles to pursue a career in engineering.

After landing a job in the aerospace industry as a software developer, Eric Jerome Dickey's artistic talents surfaced, inspiring him to become an actor and a
More about Eric Jerome Dickey...
Friends and Lovers Cheaters The Other Woman Milk in my Coffee Sister, Sister

“hate isn't healthy, it damages the hater more than the one who's hated!” 139 likes
“changing horses doesn't mean the ride'll get any better!” 72 likes