Start by marking “Bo Knows Bo” as Want to Read:

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  466 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Here is the candid autobiography of the world's most exciting athlete. Bo plays football for the L.A. Raiders and baseball for the Kansas City Royals. He attended Auburn University, where he won the Heisman Trophy, and is now famous for his Nike and AT&T commercials. Co-author Dick Schaap is the author of Instant Replay, which for many year was the bestselling sports b...more
Published October 1st 1990 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about Bo Knows Bo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bo Knows Bo

Cbarrett
This is the first multi-hundred page book I ever read. I loved Bo Jackson. I wanted to be him. I collected all his baseball cards. I held a bat over my should like Bo does in the cover. I had the poster. I had most of his posters. I longed for football pads. I bruised my leg failing to break a bat over my leg after being struck out like Bo. I liked Auburn because of Bo. I did not even know where Auburn was. I wanted a flat top like Bo. I yelled War Eagle because that is what Auburn fans did. I d...more
Longfellow

I had been a fan of the Royals for almost a decade when they selected Bo Jackson in the 1986 draft. I remember one of my best friends bringing a sports magazine to school shortly after and excitedly showing me Bo on the cover; the feature story speculated that he could be the first 40/40 man in the history of baseball. I remember sitting in the Luge level at Royals Stadium and seeing Jackson drive a home run half-way up the grass just left of dead center field. And I vaguely remember the passive...more
Dean Deters
Found this at a garage sale for a quarter, and thought it would be interesting. I enjoyed the stories of his childhood, and his trip to the major leagues. It's a bit self serving, but a fun read. My only complaint is that it was written so early in his career, so there is not really a sense of closure, or any information about how his career ended. I'll have to look it up on my own.
Ryan S. Bennett
Even though this book over 20 years old it still is a very interesting read. Growing up in the early 90s I heard how amazing Bo was on both the diamond and the gridiron. I never understood why? I'd look at his stats on my Topps and Pro- Set cards not his numbers didn't stand out. It was his overall. Athleticism that stood out, and those aren't cards. The most powerful tidbit well tidbits was his hip injury and the number of bats he broke out of frustration.

His hip injury should have destroyed h...more
She-ra's A' DragQueen
I enjoyed the hell out of this book.

It's a shame that Bo blew out his hip-
he could have been the greatest modern runningback easily.

His storytelling style (or his co-authors?) is much more readable than most sports biographies. I have re-read this book a couple times since.
Lauren Martinez
Bo Jackson personally my favorite athletes. This book inspired me because he was the first person to play baseball and football professionally in the MLB and NFL, it shares the real inside prospective of Bo Jackson life before and after his success and all that challenges he faced .I enjoyed reading because as an athlete I could related to what he went through on and off the field and what to expect in the future."I danced to the beat of my own drums not nobody else's" was one of my favorite quo...more
Joe Smith
Great Biography of my favorite sports player of all time.
Tom Gase
I got this book for a buck at the S.F. Library Fort Mason sale and when I picked it up I was stoaked! I had wanted to read this since it came out in 1990, and it's co-author is Dick Schaap, one of the best writers of all time.

Only problem with this book is a lot has happened to Bo Jackson since 1990. A lot. He should do an updated book. How an injury forced him to stop playing in the NFL. How he had to stop playing baseball but made a remarkable return with the White Sox. I believe he was with t...more
Hans Petersen
This is a story of a great athlete from his own perspective. The book Bo knows Bo is an autobiography of Vincent Edward "Bo" Jackson who was the First person honored by the hall of fame for 2 sports (Baseball and his "hobby" football). He played for the California Angels, the Chicago White Sox and the Kansas City Royals in baseball and for the L.A. Raiders in football. He also won the heisman trophy in 1985. Because of this i think He was the greatest athlete who ever lived.
he made the book cen...more
Sam Hammers
I enjoy this novel very much. Bo Jackson the author of his book Bo knows Bo captured and explained his life very well to his audience. The only dislike that I have on this book is the way he started out his book including unneeded ad-ons to the beginning of the book and just kept at the end. But other then that it was a great book and I would recommend it to all.
Jaquari
Its pretty obvious why I would want to read about one of the greatest two sport pro athletes ever. nike campaigns and the picture on the front of this book. His biography is pretty entertaining. He was a bully and grew up poor and as 8 of 10 kids. He injects a lot of his own perspective and thoughts as he progresses throughout his life and career. Its really funny. I learned a lot about him. I'd give this a good recommendation.
Nicole
This book was a good look at the difficulty Bo had trying to play 2 sports professionally.
Drew Anstead
Bo knows Bo is a great book I really liked the fact that he took part in this book. I learned a lot about Bo Jackson from my dad, who was a huge fan of him. This book taught me even more. If you like someone who is going to say it how it is. You should read this book. Bo only says it how he thinks of it, he doesn't sugar coat anything. I like that part of the book. I also liked the fact that he makes the book funny. It isn't serious all the time he obviously had fun with writing this you can jus...more
Douglas
Its pretty obvious why I would want to read about one of the greatest two sport pro athletes ever. I still remember his shoes, nike campaigns and the picture on the front of this book.

His biography is pretty entertaining. He was a bully and grew up poor and as one of 10 kids. He injects a lot of his own perspective and thoughts as he progresses throughout his life and career. Its really quite funny.

I learned a lot about him. I'd give this a good recommendation.
James  Ward
I've had this book on my shelf for a bit. I heard a radio interview with Bo a few weeks ago and finally decided to read it. The book is super dated, as it was published while Bo was still playing both football and baseball. It's 210 pages but a super easy read and somewhat enjoyable. A lot of Bo's antidotes and stories are funny and worth reading but some of his writing hurts my brain. Bo is interesting enough to push through, even if he addresses himself in 3rd person.
Anthonymiller
this book involves a professional football player baseball player and a man that was good at any sport by the way i have his autograph in my book he live in kansas but had to move to oakland because he made the cut and was successful until the nfl cooperation found out he did drugs so he went to his baseball career and had a big succes
Brent
Overall, even back then, I knew this really wasn't that good of a book. Why did I rate it so high then? Well... this is seriously the first time that I can remember reading about sex in detail. Sure, there was sex ed class, but that was glossed over stuff. Bo Knows Bo was dirrrrty. Funny that I grew up a lot by reading this book.
Sebastian
As a kid, I thought this was great. Just thinking about it makes me want to play with the Raiders in Tecmo Bowl and have Bo score 6 touchdowns and run for 700 yards in a game including several 80+ yard runs. I think I was the first person ever to check this out of my library and that probably made it even cooler to me.
Nick Hanson
I loved this book as a kid. I prefered learning about Bo when he was a boy growing up vs him and his family. Dick Schapp was a great sports writer and he wrote an excellent biography of one of the if not the best athlete's of all time. I probably read this book 20 times as a kid.
Dale
I liked the person Bo Jackson then and probably like him as a person even more now. The book told several stories from various points in his life. Undoubtedly one of the greatest athletes of all time. Still worth a read now even though he's been out of the public eye.
John
one of the greatest sports autobiographies ever from the greatest athlete ever. after i read this book, i got an incredibly large 'bo brothers' poster that featured the 10 different bo's from that one nike commercial (steph, they're not really dectuplets).
Dain
May 13, 2008 Dain rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Brian Bosworth
This may be the first book I read, with the possible exception of the thirty or so Hardy Boys novels I read at roughly the same time. Bo Jackson was a god (he hasn't died, but he's down-graded to mortal chef) and was definitely my first biography subject.
Patrick
Fantastic. Exactly what I was looking for. It brought me back to my 80s roots in sports. Also, his values righteously voiced in the book seemed to have remained 23 years later. In this tainted sports era, it's great to see. Bo Knows.
Dustin
Bo was one of my sports icons growing up so as soon as this book came out I read it. It's real and raw, so if you can handle real life issues and language and liked Bo, then this is a great read for you. If not, stay away.
Tony
pretty narcistic...I particulary did not like how he belittled Dale Murphy for deterring his eyes from show girls changing backstage
Mr. Z
Bo Jackson brought an attitude of confidence and high-expectation to playing football and baseball.
Talmage
My older brother recommended this to me as a teenager. I read it once for school and another time for fun.
Rob Gotschall
Again, read this one in Middle School. For a long time Bo was my favorite Baseball and Football player.
Justin
It was ok too bad he really didnt have much to fall back on when he couldnt play sports anymore.
Kody
bo jackson has a desire for football and baseball and he showed it in
  • Magic Johnson: My Life
  • I Am Third: The Inspiration for Brian's Song: Third Edition
  • Juiced: Wild Times, Rampant 'Roids, Smash Hits, and How Baseball Got Big
  • Red and Me: My Coach, My Lifelong Friend
  • I Was Right On Time
  • Badasses: The Legend of Snake, Foo, Dr. Death, and John Madden's Oakland Raiders
  • Instant Replay: The Green Bay Diary of Jerry Kramer
  • They Call Me Coach
  • My Prison Without Bars
  • Whitey: The Life of America's Most Notorious Mob Boss
  • Sherman: Soldier, Realist, American
  • A Disposition to Be Rich: How a Small-Town Pastor's Son Ruined an American President, Brought on a Wall Street Crash, and Made Himself the Best-Hated Man in the United States
  • The Body Fat Solution: Five Principles for Burning Fat, Building Lean Muscles, Ending Emotional Eating, and Maintaining Your Perfect Weight
  • Levels of the Game