Start by marking “Good Grief: Healing Through the Shadow of Loss” as Want to Read:
Good Grief: Healing Through the Shadow of Loss

Good Grief: Healing Through the Shadow of Loss

A compassionate guide to the experience of loss as an essential growth process

• Explores the nature of loss as a profound mystery shared by all human beings

• Offers sensitive and practical advice for experiencing grief and preparing for the healing journey that follows

• Includes CD of the author reading selections from the text

We grieve only for that which we have love
Published August 2nd 2007 by Healing Arts Press (first published October 17th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Good Grief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Grief

wanderaven
This book comes highly recommended by Dr. Andrew Weil, one of my favorites. When I skimmed through the book at the store, some paragraphs jumped out at me, enough to convince me to buy it.

However, after a couple weeks of carrying it around and feeling a bit reluctant (without cause) to read, I finally got through the first (short) couple of chapters. On the whole what she said appealed to me but then in two or three different references, the author likened losing a beloved one to being expelled
Michelle Devine
Apr 02, 2013 Michelle Devine rated it it was amazing
I was half-vested in the book, and still half-vested in my own thoughts on how I feel about grief, so this book is definitely a re-read.

A passage from the book which stuck with me:

"Sometimes we want to sit down a write a letter to someone or something we are missing. Writing letters - letters that we might just write and mail in our imagination or literally write and mail to some "dead letter" department - can be an exercise in not only creativity but in healing the empty places in our lives, es
Annie
Jul 23, 2012 Annie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This will probably be a good book to revisit when I'm experiencing loss in my life in the future. I was led to believe that this book would address issues like leaving a city or how to deal with others who are dealing with loss, or even small every day losses. It did give me some good ideas and thoughts about loss and grief, but it was mostly about when people die.

The writing was not very good. The author used a lot of anemic personal anecdotes. In terms of structure, it was really all over the
Amanda Mathis
Sep 27, 2013 Amanda Mathis rated it it was ok
This is a quick read and some parts really touched me and helped me with my feelings of grief. Some parts, however, were not so helpful as I caught myself having to reread them after my brained glazed over in boredom. This may be because of my own personal emotions at the time or it may be because the book is boring. I cannot say for certain one way or another. It does make a lot of good points about the grief journey..I just feel like they may have been said more succinctly at times.
Jenny
Mar 08, 2010 Jenny rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing book. It really transformed the way I think about grief. I would recommend it to anyone who is grieving--for whatever reason. One idea I will always remember is that when we are grieving we are heart-broken and a broken heart can grow back stronger and larger. I've felt this in my life recently. So much more love and compassion for people.
Christina
I read this on my Kindle and found myself using the highlight function on nearly every page. I don't know what to say about the book really except that I feel more capable and more human than I did before I read it.
Leela Francis
Jul 22, 2013 Leela Francis rated it it was amazing
I read this book after my mother died and found it immensely wise and helpful in making sense of it all. I recommend it to everyone I meet who is dancing with loss of a loved one.
Leela Francis
www.VividlyWoman.com
Christine Jackson
Jun 11, 2013 Christine Jackson rated it really liked it
Shelves: grief
Beautiful book that talks about the ways we can help ourselves through reimagining the grieving process.
Victor
Jan 12, 2014 Victor rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone currently grieving a loss or preparing for a loss
Shelves: nonfiction
This book has been very helpful to me in grieving a recent loss. I don't know what I would've done without it.
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2010
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2015
Crystal Mussman
Crystal Mussman rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
M.A.
M.A. rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2010
Kara Bella
Kara Bella rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2014
M Christine
M Christine rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2014
Laura Thompson
Laura Thompson rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2013
Darleen
Darleen rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2012
Jen Chau
Jen Chau rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Matthew Perry
Matthew Perry rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2013
Michelle Degeus
Michelle Degeus rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2012
Anne Walker
Anne Walker rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2016
Niki Mathias
Niki Mathias rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2015
Janetmueller
Janetmueller rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2013
Jo
Jo rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2010
Rondi Tiernan
Rondi Tiernan rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2010
Shireen
Shireen rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2014
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2014
Robin C  Winkel
Robin C Winkel rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2015
Suzanne.g.reynolds
Suzanne.g.reynolds rated it really liked it
May 20, 2009