Start by marking “1001 Buildings You Must See Before You Die: The World's Architectural Masterpieces (Quintessence Books)” as Want to Read:

1001 Buildings You Must See Before You Die: The World's Architectural Masterpieces (1001 Before You Die)

"1001 Buildings You Must See Before You Die" is a visual testament to the beauty, grace, and fortitude of the world's greatest architectural achievements.

Beginning in the ancient and Near East, the book explores middle age Byzantine and Gothic examples such as Notre Dame Cathedral, Paris, goes on to St Paul's Cathedral, London and continues through the Chrysler Building, N
Published October 23rd 2007 by Universe

To ask other readers questions about 1001 Buildings You Must See Before You Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1001 Buildings You Must See Before You Die

Richard
Feb 25, 2008 Richard rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those who have a dilettante-ish interest in architecture but want to expand it
Recommended to Richard by: Mark Ghazal
Not necessarily the best book about architecture ever by any means, but probably one of the most entertaining and attractive, and oddly compelling and addictive overviews of noteworthy buildings that I've read. And for those who don't "get" modernism and futurism and all those other mid-century movements, it provides a really sensitive and approachable guide to the core values driving these aesthetic philosophies.
Lise
Dec 22, 2016 Lise rated it really liked it
I've seen 44.
Line
Sep 14, 2016 Line rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is great for giving an overview of noteworthy buildings and styles, and truly makes me realize how little I've seen of the world.

The buildings are organized chronologically, which in one way is great: You get an idea of the history and evoltion of architecture and how much styles and techniques could vary from this side of the world to that.
On the other hand, it might've been more practical to put them chronologically by country, or even place, so that if you were going to, say, London
RayDiant
I really like this book but I have issues with it. The statistics of the book don't stack up for me. Over an eighth of the entries are in the UK. One out of 8 of all the great buildings existing in world are in the United Kingdom?? Canada with half the population of the UK (with, admittedly, a much shorter history) gets a lowly 1%.

The book has most of the world's iconic buildings but misses quite a few buildings and architects. Raymond Moriyama (getting back to Canada) and his innovative buildi
Sandra
Oct 14, 2012 Sandra rated it liked it
I liked this book quite a lot. Now there are even more places I want to go, and it reaffirmed my desire to go to India. But the big problem with this book, at least for me, was the way it was arranged. It starts with buildings from the Ancient World, continues on with Empire to Revolution then onwards finishing with Fast into the Future. I would have found it more useful if the arrangement was by country, which is how one would tour them. And I would have included Mount St. Michael and Carcasson ...more
Charlie Fortnum
Jan 18, 2016 Charlie Fortnum rated it really liked it
This is a great coffee table book to flip through, but it is not convenient to as a travel guide or thoroughly indexed. A list of the buildings by city, but not much about the buildings, can be found at "http://asnotedin.com/?action=accolade...".

I like these "list" books because the author/editor has taken a stand, but I don't know if the newer buildings in this book, like Mason's Bend Community Center and Lexington's Big Dig House, will be considered masterpieces in twenty years.
Jeff Verthein
Jan 22, 2010 Jeff Verthein is currently reading it
I don't pick up this book enough, considering how much I enjoy studying it's pages. Beautiful pictures take prominence (with my favorite building right there on the cover) and the brief synopses of cultural significance or technological acheivement are satisfying enough -- just don't expect in-depth architectural analysis.
Arlene Caruso
Nov 28, 2007 Arlene Caruso rated it really liked it
I am a sucker for architecture. The Flatiron Building gives me the chills. So this book is a lot of fun for me. It's armchair travel at its most interesting.
Edward

Shelves: teatmeteos
Pictures 5, text 3
Marcus
May 07, 2008 Marcus rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful coffee-table book.
Massimiliano
Massimiliano rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2013
Joris Meermans
Joris Meermans rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2013
Fahad
Fahad rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2010
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was ok
May 02, 2014
Wong Jin gene
Wong Jin gene rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2017
Harold
Harold rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2014
Brian Goff
Brian Goff rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2013
Mais M. junidy
Mais M. junidy rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2013
Malcolm.smith
Malcolm.smith rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2011
Sandra Evans
Sandra Evans rated it liked it
May 04, 2015
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2015
Fred Rose
Fred Rose rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2011
Maxim
Maxim rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2013
A Sharkus
A Sharkus rated it really liked it
May 14, 2016
Marietta Fournaraki
Marietta Fournaraki rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2014
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2011
Andy Bromista
Andy Bromista rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2013
  • 1001 Historic Sites You Must See Before You Die
  • 1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die
  • 1001 Natural Wonders: You Must See Before You Die
  • 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die
  • 1001 Classical Recordings You Must Hear Before You Die (1001 before you die)
  • 1001 Beers You Must Taste Before You Die (1001 (Universe))
  • 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die
  • Sacred Places of a Lifetime: 500 of the World's Most Peaceful and Powerful Destinations
  • Architecture: World's Greatest Buildings, Styles and History, Architects (Eyewitness Companions)
  • 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die
  • 1001 Days That Shaped the World (1,000... Before You Die Books)
  • 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up
  • Venice & the Veneto
  • Compulsive Beauty
  • Education's End: Why Our Colleges and Universities Have Given Up on the Meaning of Life
  • How to Read Buildings: A Crash Course in Architectural Styles

1001 Before You Die (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die
  • 1001 Battles That Changed the Course of World History
  • 1001 Beers You Must Taste Before You Die (1001 (Universe))
  • 1001 Bicycles to Dream of Riding
  • 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die
  • 1001 Cars to Dream of Driving Before You Die
  • 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up
  • 1001 Classical Recordings You Must Hear Before You Die (1001 before you die)
  • 1001 Comics You Must Read Before You Die: The Ultimate Guide to Comic Books, Graphic Novels, and Manga
  • 1001 Days That Shaped the World (1,000... Before You Die Books)