Start by marking “The Elite (The Selection, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Elite (The Selection, #2)

The Elite (The Selection #2)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  169,027 ratings  ·  15,444 reviews
The Selection began with thirty-five girls.
Now with the group narrowed down to the six Elite, the competition to win Prince Maxon's heart is fiercer than ever—and America is still struggling to decide where her heart truly lies. Is it with Maxon, who could make her life a fairy tale? Or with her first love, Aspen?

America is desperate for more time. But the rest of the Elit
Published April 23rd 2013 by HarperTeen (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Elite, please sign up.

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadProdigy by Marie Lu
YA Novels of 2013
7th out of 1,532 books — 10,733 voters
Clockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareUnravel Me by Tahereh MafiThe Elite by Kiera CassEverbound by Brodi AshtonBoundless by Cynthia Hand
Beautiful Book Covers of 2013
3rd out of 587 books — 2,090 voters

More lists with this book...

So, you see my rating, and you're probably like, ONE STAR? And my answer is yes, one star. I spent a good hour thinking about a reason, any reason to rate it two, but I can't. This was just one books of those books that was not my cup of tea. Which, by the way, is extremely disappointing, considering that I really did like the first book. *sigh*

I don't like to bash books and insult the author, but I will say why I did give it such a low rating, in a hopefully non-rude way.

*My Opinion. Just a
For what it's worth, I actually liked The Selection. Sure, it suffered from a major bout of shoddy world building and desperately needed a plot beyond just the game show slash dating elements, but if I had to blurb it, I'd go with something like this: "Frivolous and silly, The Selection is nonetheless an enjoyable timekiller with its Bachelor-like elements and inability to take itself too seriously."

The Elite on the other hand... ugh how do I even begin to describe this mess? Let's see...

Monica :)
Edit 11/25/12
So I think all of us have been focusing on America, Maxon and Aspen that we forget about everyone else.
Now, I've been thinking ...Maxon's parents. Her mom lost a child. Her sister told America that once they got down to The Elite that she would start getting closer to them. As for Maxon's father every movie I've seen or show (ahem. Merlin)the King is always a jerk. Like a-hole material. Perhaps we shall see this in The Elite?
(Thanks to Jie Yu for remembering about Queen Amberly
The Selection by Kiera Cass

7-1-2012: 3:48 PM. Yay! It has a name! I'm so excited for this book!

8-7-2012: 4:19 PM. Why does this have likes?! Haha. I can't wait for the cover! I heard Cass has seen it!

Of course, I'd prefer to have a male on the cover. Not JUST a male, maybe a well-dressed Maxon (with his face concealed [I hate when publishers put non-concealed faces... It makes me feel like I have to picture the characters like on the covers]) with America in his arms.

Or maybe the Elite girls in pretty dresses.
Warning: Mild Spoilers Ahead. Do not read if you don't want to be spoiled. Please read at your own risk.

Actual rating: 2.5 stars

This is not a dystopian, This is a book centered on a love triangle.

Believe it or not, I did like The Selection, but this book, unfortunately, did not live up to its predecessor. The reason why I enjoyed The Selection so much was because of the similarities to the TV show The Bachelor(which I watch, occasionally). I personally think adapting the competition into a book
This is what the first book did:

I don't know how Cass is going to stretch this into a trilogy. I honestly don't. Unless this has another beautiful cover I can't resist, I'm going to avoid this book like the plague.

Update 7/23
So... I finished this book. It was just as awful as the first, if not worse. It's worse in that it tries to develop a love triangle and makes a bad name for women everywhere. America decides to love whichever guy is in the room and then forget him the moment he leaves it.
Christine Riccio
I raced through this book because I love the concept and where the story seems to be heading, but OH MY GOODNESS America was so frustrating. I discuss the whole thing in depth in my booktalk here:
Roxanne (Story Envy)

First off I must say that that is a stunning dress! Hmm which dress would you say is better?

Oh gosh, I can't choose! There both so pretty! Although I do like the red colour more.

Now on to the real thing I want to talk about. I'm so freaking excited for this book! I really loved the first one, in fact I loved it so much that I read it while I was at an amusement park. In fact I was so sucked in that I started reading it in the line-ups and I kept wanting to read it
Howdy YAL
Note: I kept the advisory review because the trolls loved it and I think anyone who is thinking of reading this book SHOULD read the warning first.

To see full review click here.

Disclaimer: Obviously, I do not own the Disney princesses. If I did I would be at Disney World right now living the dream instead of writing this during one of my very limited study breaks.

And now a word from the Disney Princesses...

We here at the Magic Kingdom full of princess want to make something clear to you, America
All right, boys and girls, I’m back for round two. A year late, but I’ll try to get to The One right after this.

In my review of The Selection, I already covered the larger issues this series has. I’m just going to go through this book roughly chronologically and list all the places I eyerolled so hard I saw my brain. Sometimes, I grew extra eyes just so I could side-eye this book some more.

(ETA: This list will continue to grow as I complete my reread)

1. REBELS. Seriously, palace people. GET SOM
Why is this series so addictive. WHY?? America is so much more obnoxious, indecisive, and all around THE WORST in this book which makes it a 3 star, but the rest was pretty great.
I pretty much LOATHE the show The Bachelor, and this book felt a lot more like that than the first book, so that was not super great. If you like that kind of thing, THERES A LOT OF JEALOUSY TO GO AROUND SO HAVE FUN!
However, the overall story and worldbuilding is still pretty great, and I'm sure there will be something
Reading this book felt like Gossip Girl on royal caste. lol!

The Elite has many things, drama, dark secrets, intense competition, betrayal, treason, and annoying girls issue..

Firstly, I started reading this book with fun. The Halloween party! and Maxon is so sweet as usual! *dream up* description

Later on... everything started to roll down the hill. description

Every. Main. Characters. change from the first one.

It’s so hard to decide who the boy I want America to end up with. I’m team Maxon since the first one but in t
Kat O'Keeffe
America is such a frustrating protagonist, but these books are so fast and addictive I CAN'T PUT THEM DOWN. Onto The One...
dick gansey
That was.

I actually have no words.

The Elite is the second book in The Selection series. It follows America Singer as she is pushed into a life she knows nothing about and is forced to adapt.

What I love about this book is the fact that the attention is taken away from Aspen and is more focused on Maxon. We get to know more about him, and what his character is really like. I also liked how we got to see America's character develop, as she has spent quite a while in the palace.

The Selection was q
24 Apr. '13
Bad news: I didn't like it
Good news: I finished it in one day to relieve me of my boredom at work
Better news: I liked it more than The Selection. Or maybe that's simply because I knew what to expect, so my hopes weren't high to begin with?

Still want that tiara.

I've full on ranted discussed about characterization in my review of the first book, and since the special cookie that is America still suffers from the same problems, I won't be going into characterization in this review. If
GRRR! 2013?!
*turns off caps lock*
omg, can't wait!
Wow, America. Did you seriously... woooow.
I waited almost a full year for this book and you just went ahead and acted like Bella. Stringing around these two boys when it's achingly obvious who you're going to pick. I feel like every book is a Twilight despite
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins publishers and Netgalley.)
This is book 2 in the ‘The Selection’ series, and picks up where book 1 left off.
The 35 girls of ‘The Selection’ have been reduced to just 6, and it’s time for America to not only work to keep her place in the game, but to also make a decision as to who she really wants to be with – Prince Maxon, or her childhood sweetheart Aspen
The competition is also heating up,
Theresa ♫
(My before-read review of this book is BELOW my after-read review, so scroll down to look there, if you'd like. ^-^)

AUGUST 19, 2013: SPOILERS. This book is full of freaking spoilers. SPOILERS EVERYWHERE. SPOILER. SPOILER. SPOILER HERE AND THERE AND EVERYWHERE. IN THE AIR. I DON'T CARE. I HAVE HAIR. I LIKE BEARS--I dunno, that could be a new song. :D

....But seriously, this review is full of spoilers.

Stephanie (Bookfever.♥)
This is going to be a tough review for me, be warned.
Last summer I read The Selection and I loved it. I thought the whole idea of a story like this was really original. I loved that it was like The Bachelor put into a dystopian book. I saw a lot of positive reviews about it so I figured it would be positive for me too. So I had to read The Elite also of course and I must say (obviously) I'm rather disappointed by it. Actually a whole lot disappointed.

I really wanted to like this book, more so t
-_- I HATE YOU. I HATE YOU SO FUCKING MUCH. THERE IS NO WORD IN EXISTENCE THAT IS STRONG ENOUGH TO DESCRIBE MY HATE FOR YOU. I'll make a simple list letting you know all the things you need to know about this book:

1) America is a conceited skag
2) America has no idea what love actually is
3) America is rash and does stupid shit before she understands what's actually going on
4) Maxon is a douche
5) Maxon doesn't know what love is
6) Aspen is also a douche
7) Aspen doesn't know what love is
8) Aspen is
Despite the controversy over the author/publicist, I kinda liked the first book... This one, however, just pissed me off.

1. What happened to America? I miss the strong, determined, self-confident girl she used to be. She cries - a lot! I understand insecurities can make you second-guess yourself, but damnit, she was so freaking wishy-washy. I want Maxon. No, I want Aspen. I want to leave. No, I need to stay. I won't make a good queen. Actually, I could make a different. Oh wait, I just did somet
Juliana Zapata
Seguimos metidos en el cuento de hadas pero ahora con más ataques rebeldes, mas violencia y mas peligro.
América está de aquí para allá, elijo a uno, elijo al otro, quiero a uno, quiero al otro, los quiero a los dos. Eso sí que fue desesperante, cada cinco minutos cambiaba de opinión y eso me ponía muy nerviosa y me exasperaba un poco.
Por otro lado empezamos a conocer los secretos más sucios de Illéa, de la monarquía y des mismo rey, todo esto en medio de la selección y la eliminación de otras do
You can check out more reviews by me on my blog:

A highly frustrating and yet wonderfully breathtaking read.

(Short but sweet probably utterly mindboggling.)

Our story began in The Selection when 35 girls moved to the palace hoping to someday marry Prince Maxon; however, by the beginning of The Elite, only 6 girls remain.

For our dear America, this means only five girls left to compete with.

Natalie, Elise, Celeste, Kriss and Marlee.

Only 5 other girls, and Maxon has already expressed
Jaime Arkin
Ok... I've taken a few days to think and I discussed with the lovely Kassiah and have come to the conclusion that I'm torn on what to rate this book.

The problem I'm having here is that for whatever reason I can't look away. I hated the characters, and I hated the very slim and almost non-existent plot of this book... yet I read it in a day and I didn't want to put it down.

What the heck is a girl supposed to do with that?

photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-2629-1360290253-6_zps16446776.gif

So in The Elite, we are still hanging out with Prince Maxon - America ha
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

I can see why The Elite can be enjoyable. For people into angsty, romancey dominant dystopians. Heck, I don't even get why people believe that this is a dystopian at times. The development of Kiera Cass' world is so minimal it may as well not be there at all. Then dystopian lovers won't get mislead into some fail of a gag-worthy love story. Even things that seemed a little likable turned out to be fails as the romance is like a disease, it spreads everywhere
Let me start off by saying that I thoroughly enjoyed "The Selection"--"The Elite" was on my 'midnight release' reading list. "The Selection" had fun characters, an interestingly laid out dystopian caste system and a burgeoning rebellion as a strong background to the very heavy love triangle.

In "The Elite" I was looking forward to seeing more of the rebellion, seeing the characters develop and make strong decisions and stick with them--deal with the consequences of those decisions. I expected mo
Vale. Bien. No estaba preparado. Mira que al principio (en plan, como las cien primeras páginas) no estaba muy seguro de que The Elite me fuera a gustar tanto como The Selection. Tenía bastante claro que lo estaba leyendo a buen ritmo, pero que en realidad nada me estaba sorprendiendo y que lo leía porque no sé, la Cass es muy diva. Pero, sinceramente, no me esperaba lo que ocurre después.

Esta reseña contendrá spoilers, así que lo siento si querías saber qué me ha parecido sin leer ninguno. Te
Well, it is too bad. I was looking forward to reading this book however I ended up disappointed with how silly America became and how judgmental. She acts without thinking and i spend most of the time wanting to hit my head on the wall.

Apr 09, 2015 Laz rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: dnf, young-adult
DNF at 30%.. I'm sad.

Man, I really tried but this series is just not for me. The whole concept doesn't appeal to me in every way. It's not like I'm not a fan of ya, it's not that I don't like romance books.. It's just that the vibe this series gives off, to me at least, is all kinds of wrong and weird. I cannot connect with any of the characters and while the prose is particularly good, I feel like the thinking and contemplating behind the writing is that of a five-year-old girl dreaming of cast
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit

Guys, everyone who knows me knows I'm obsessed with The Selection. So when I got this ARC, I immediately started reading and could not stop. I was like,

And then once I was finished, I was like,

because now I have to wait for Book #3. GAH.

There is a lot of romance, sweet words, and beautiful moments in this book, and I know a lot of readers will be really excited for this. If you weren't Team Maxon or Aspen before, you might be surprised if your feelings change from one to t
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Elite by Kiera Cass - Restarting October 4th 2015 164 150 Oct 01, 2015 09:49AM
  • Breaking Point (Article 5, #2)
  • Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)
  • Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky, #2)
  • Deception (Defiance, #2)
  • The Essence (The Pledge, #2)
  • Unbreakable (Unraveling, #2)
  • Once (Eve, #2)
  • Sever (The Chemical Garden, #3)
  • The Goddess Inheritance (Goddess Test, #3)
  • Sweet Peril (The Sweet Trilogy, #2)
  • If I Should Die (Revenants, #3)
  • Dance of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death, #2)
  • Goddess (Starcrossed, #3)
  • A Darkness Strange and Lovely (Something Strange and Deadly, #2)
  • Of Triton (The Syrena Legacy, #2)
  • Shutdown (Glitch, #3)
  • Delirium Stories: Hana, Annabel, and Raven (Delirium, #0.5, #1.5, #2.5)
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
100 Things I Love:

Being married. Cake. The smell of Autumn. Motherhood. Books. Elephants. Back rubs. On demand movies. Actually going out to movies. Faith. Cinnamon rolls. My family. Butterflies. When my kitchen is clean. Crayons. Pink. Tote bags. Dancing. Organizing via color coordination. That my wedding dress was tea length, not floor. Baking. My house. Writing utensils. Paper. India. The sound
More about Kiera Cass...

The Selection (5 books)
  • The Selection (The Selection, #1)
  • The One (The Selection, #3)
  • The Heir (The Selection, #4)
  • The Crown (The Selection, #5)
The Selection (The Selection, #1) The One (The Selection, #3) The Heir (The Selection, #4) The Prince (The Selection, #0.5) The Guard (The Selection, #2.5)

7 trivia questions
7 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“It turns out I'm absolutely terrible at staying away from you. It's a very serious problem.” 719 likes
“Love is beautiful fear” 710 likes