Gated

Gated

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  185 ratings  ·  52 reviews
British couple, Michael and Emily Torrence lived perfect lives, he was a writer of horror fiction getting paid for his hobby and Emily was immersed in her life as a teacher. Their world was complete when Emily fell pregnant and their family was set to be complete. Their dreams however, were shattered one wet winter night by a car mounting a pavement out of the darkness.

To...more
Kindle Edition, Second, 349 pages
Published December 3rd 2012 by Matt Drabble

Bill
Matt Drabble does it again with another great book. Gated is a creepy journey into the perfect world of an isolated community that has an old world history and an even darker future. Nothing is as it seems in Eden and for one couple they are about to find out the hard way that sometimes the perfect neighborhood can go to hell in a hurry...unless they can find a way to stop it.
Renee
Loved this book. I am very easily scared and I like to be on edge a little. By getting to know the characters Michael and Emily really helped when their tragedy stuck. If you are not drawn in and begin to care about the characters, then the tragedy is not as awful. This was really storytelling at its best. So I am not going to reveal any spoilers, but it was pretty dramatic and you will appreciate the story so much more now that you care about this couple.

As the story progressed and Michael and...more
Cathy
I nabbed this book while it was free on Amazon. I was sold by the synopsis which reminded me of The Association by Bentley Little- one of my favourite writers. However instead of being a rip-off of the book I have previously read, this novel gave another terrifying dimension to the dangers of gated communities. I was drawn into the story very quickly. This writer knows how to tell a story and eases the reader into the scenario, instead of barrelling straight into the action, giving us a chance t...more
Mary Thomas
Loved this book. I agree with the earlier review in that I was drawn in by the careful and skilful construction of the characters, and I grew to care about them before they were placed in peril.

I loved the creeping sense of tension and terror. Too many books these days seem to have problems in pacing, either rushing in too quickly to the action, or drawing out the melodrama and never getting going. I found "Gated" to be of a perfect pace, always keeping your interest and excitement but never fe...more
Trista Borgwardt
As soon as I read this first few pages, I had to know what happened!

The author introduces you to a young couple living in the UK, Emily and Michael. They were struggling in their tiny apartment and had settled into a depressive state due to the loss of their unborn child.
This prompted Michael to find something different, to make things better for his wife.

He stumbled across the town of Eden, where it is 'Heaven on Earth, and twice as Nice.'This town promised the good ole American small town,...more
Grampy
Reviewed by Lee Ashford for Readers' Favorite.

“Gated” by Matt Drabble is a Horror novel as good as any you will find on the market today.

The town of Eden was the epitome of good old-fashioned friendly small town America. It sounded too good to be true. It was. However, Michael and Emily Torrance didn’t know that… yet.

Having lost their first child when then-pregnant Emily was hit in a freak accident, the Torrance’s thought a change would be good for them. Living in the wet, cold United Kingdom,...more
Irene
First let me state that I received a copy of this book from the author for an honest review.

This is my first read by Matt Drabble. I have to say I am impressed. Some nights I would fall asleep reading and my dreams were weird LOL!
Bookworm
Married couple Michael and Emily Torrence arrive at the beautiful and secluded town of Eden Gardens with hopes of starting a new life after the devastating loss of their unborn child. The couple who are from the UK, are making a big change by moving to the U.S. Michael is a writer, Emily a teacher.

Something about the Eden Gardens community is a bit off, everything is too perfect. The hedges are perfectly trimmed, the houses are all nice and uniformed looking and everyone is very friendly in thi...more
Rhonda
The author knows how to make up a good story and to create interesting characters. However, the book really needs serious editing. This reads like a very rough first draft. There is a lot of missing punctuation, mis-used punctuation, incorrect word usage, typos, missing words, duplicate words, etc. In most cases, much of this could have been found through another read through IF the author has a grasp of proper grammar and punctuation or even if he'd let others who do read it for him before publ...more
Rebecca
Jeanine
Tense, eerie story. A real page turner.
Truehobbit
2.5 stars really - I quite enjoyed about two-thirds of the book, but towards the end coherence and consistency of plot were lost more and more.

Also, I guess it's self-published - I got this as a Kindle freebie on Amazon, so I suppose you could call it the proverbial gift horse - but it's really one long advertisement for the profession of copy editor, whose services would have been sorely needed.

So, the good things: it's very well paced, the author has a knack for writing sudden action and chan...more
Katya
Yes, it's that good. From the moment I started reading this book, my life revolved around finding ways to sneak in just a few more pages. Only two things detracted from the reading experience: some grammatical errors (apostrophes where they shouldn't be) and some British vocab that felt inappropriate (American characters carrying around "torches" instead of "flashlights" in an American town). Those two things aside, it was a delicious read!
Marilou Johnson
Enjoyable

I enjoyed this book quite a bit, even though the basic idea has been done before. I like Matt's writing style and character development. I look forward to reading his other books.
Stephanie Wideman
To be honest, this nearly was a four or five star rating. However, there were a few things that dragged it down and I just felt it brought down the quality of the book. The plot was wonderful. I loved the creepy town. I was even surprised by a few twists, which is rare.

The book is about Michael and Emily Torrence, who are dissatisfied by the non-neighborly life they lead in the UK. After the saddened miscarriage of their first baby, they decide to start a new life in Eden, America. This was the...more
Luka Novak
While "seemingly perfect town that hides a dark secret" is not an original idea they are mostly limited to TV shows and movies. I mean, the book has just about the maxium ammount of references to Stepford Wives I could stomach. So reading a book with this premise sounded interesting. But the book fails.

We are fairly quickly shown the dark side, which is hidden from main protagonists, Michael and Emily. As they slowly uncover the darkness behind facade things become somewhat predictable, or at le...more
Wendi
Gated is another Book Bub freebie I downloaded. I had little expectation for it but ended up enjoying it fully. The only thing that I have to say against the book were the too many Stephen King shout outs (the main character's last name is Torrance, there is a Mr. Holloran, etc.)

The story is a fast read. It doesn't drag and has it's "whoa!" moments. Not so much a horror book as a thriller.

The thing that made me laugh, though, was all the USA love. Americans are more friendly. American food is b...more
Karen
really enjoyed this story .It was creepy and I couldnt wait till I got to the end to see what happened
Jacqui Kirkpatrick
Read in a day, very good story
Shelley

Michael and Emily Torrence move to the perfect gated community of Eden in the USA from the overcrowded and aloof confines of the UK. As a horror fction writer, Michael is prone to dark imaginings, and with his burden of guilt, he looks for a way to make his wife's life better.

Eden is perfect, if a little Stepford, and from the beginning Michael's imagination engages and a story starts to materialise - a horror story based on a perfect community. But as he begins to search out material for his bo...more
Lynelle Clark
The reason for my four stars is that I simply do not like Horror in any form. I had to say this early on to get it out of the way and review the book objectively. But I do love a good on the edge thriller and this book did not had the usual blood and gore in it as normal horror has. So I could enjoy it and can recommend it to all horror/thriller readers.

An eerie and sinister plot that draws you in from the start. The three part book giving you a historic over view of the origins of the town. Bui...more
Marion
This book definitely deserves between 4.5 & 5 stars. I've rated it 5 stars as 4 would seem a bit unfair.

This is the first book I've read by Matt Drabble & certainly won't be the last.

The main characters Emily & Michael are your average couple. They upsticks from the UK after going through a tragedy, & move to a gated community called Eden. Sounds all good, but Eden is too good to be true. In fact, there is not a whole lot of good going on there. Our couple have to piece together...more
United Indie Book Blog

I will think twice before I move into a gated community, look very careful at the fine print on any contract. We meet a married couple Michael and Emily who are from the UK. They experienced a terrific loss and decided to it was time for a change. They packed up and mov...more
Elaine
I don't mind having to suspend reality a bit -- just not to the extent this book asks its readers to do mostly toward its ending.

What drew me in was the basis of this story. Eden is a community where things are a bit too perfect. Grass is green. The weather is always perfect. Weird but the people seem to be as well. Folks make eye contact and greet others as they pass on the streets. It's a community where people don't lock their doors. Crime is almost non-existent.

Strange disappearances occur...more
Susan
A very enjoyable, well written with good character development. Michael and Emily move from dreary, always rainy England to America into a gated community named Eden Gardens where everything was perfect. It turns out that Eden Gardens was a small town with too many secrets and far from being perfect. I look forward to reading more Matt Drabble books.
Clayton Goad
Pretty good

I enjoyed this book. It was a theme I was used to and kind of expected, but it was still well done. You should never trust things that are too perfect, as was the case in Eden. The story had me hooked and I did not feel bored at any point. It had the mystery and suspense with horror added it.
Jolie
This was a really good horror book. The back story (the story of Tolan and how Eden came to be) was really, really sad.

The author did a great job keeping "what" Eden was until the last couple of chapters. Then, in my opinion, he kinda went overboard with the killing. Again, in my opinion. I know that there are people out there who love blood and violence in their books. The bloodier, the better. Not me....lol

The ending was great and I liked how the author left the possibility for another book. W...more
Dawna
Gated is a good book, with it's premise being very Stepford Wives-ish. The story is good but there are a few instances where the editor missed some misspelled words. Its not fantastic but its not horrible either.
Jackie Primo
If you like Bentley Little you will enjoy Matt Drabble. Great book, well written and fast paced...I didn't want to put the book down. I highly recommend Gated.
Hilary
This book was not as good as I'd hoped. It seemed to build up to something and then it let me down at the end. It isn't a bad book...it's good if you are bored.
  • Asylum: The Complete Series
  • Alex
  • Lineage: A Supernatural Thriller
  • The Boat
  • Whisper
  • Snowbound
  • Spitting Devil (Jonathan Stride, #5.5)
  • Bad Games: A Novel (Bad Games Series, #1)
  • One Blood
  • Flux
  • Rope Enough (The Romney and Marsh Files #1)
  • Bottled Abyss
  • Total Victim Theory
  • Bay's End
  • Malicious
  • The Dead Room (Darby McCormick #3)
  • Daddy's Home (Holly Jennings #1)
  • Foreign Deceit (A David Wolf Novel)
Born in Bath, England in 1974, a self-professed "funny onion", equal parts sport loving jock and comic book geek.

From an early age reading so many works of varied authors I took the somewhat foolhardy decision to attempt to write my own novels.

I have always been an avid fan of the Horror/Supernatural genres and find that many great works in this field are automatically dismissed due to their subje...more
More about Matt Drabble...
Asylum Abra-Cadaver Gated II: Ravenhill Academy After Darkness Falls  - Volume One Rapture Falls