Start by marking “Missing Melinda” as Want to Read:
Missing Melinda

Missing Melinda

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  32 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
On the very day the Gibbs family moved into Uncle Scoville's house the twins, Cordelia and Ophelia, discovered Melinda, a valuable antique doll, hidden away in a dusty attic. They promptly took her on an exploring expedition to the park, where, while the girls climbed a tree, Melinda disappeared.

Where had Melinda gone? Had she been stolen by a deliberate thief or merely pi
Hardcover
Published January 1st 1967 by Little Brown & Company

To ask other readers questions about Missing Melinda, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Missing Melinda

Myles
Sep 29, 2015 Myles rated it really liked it
This book is so precious it belongs in a Wes Anderson production. Identical twins Cordelia and Ophelia have just moved with their family into their deceased Great Uncle's house. They discover an unusual doll in the attic and its promptly stolen! Who could it have been? Unroll the eccentric cast of characters....

The book is ostensibly the girls' own creation. They alternate chapters - Cordelia prefers mysteries, happily enough, and Ophelia literary flair. They criticize each others work and hones
Stephanie
Oct 05, 2007 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of A is for Annabel
Twins Ophelia and Cordelia find an antique doll in their great uncle's attic, only to have some scurvy rapscallion steal it from beneath their tip-tilted noses. I just love this book...it's extremely clever and funny, with plenty of references to Shakespeare sprinkled throughout. I particularly loved the chapters devoted to the girls' tour through a doll collector's house and their subsequent visit to a doll hospital. Just a really great mystery for kids that should be put back into print.
Karin
Feb 08, 2012 Karin rated it it was amazing
Twin girls Ophelia & Cordelia solve the mystery of a stolen antique doll in a book they write with alternating chapters written by each twin from their perspective. My twin sister Kristin & I met Jacqueline Jackson when were were ~ 12 years old at a Kaldecott book event, and she helped us write a book with alternating chapters like Ophelia's & Cordelia's about our experience with Kristin's brain tumor. A very important processing in our lives.
Gatlianne Gatlianne
Apr 15, 2009 Gatlianne Gatlianne rated it liked it
I checked this book out from the library in 1988 - loved the book...never returned it. I still have it on my bookshelf.
Suzanne King
Aug 14, 2016 Suzanne King rated it it was amazing
Ophelia & Cordelia are twins. Their father is a Shakespeare devotee and following in his literary footsteps the girls decide to write about a mystery that may have happened before they find Melinda, who happens to be a doll.
I first read this book when I was a pre-teen and I loved it for a number of childish reasons: I had friends who were twins, my mother quoted Shakespeare, and I also wanted to write a book. Many, many years later I decided to purchase this out of print book online because
Linda
Jul 08, 2011 Linda rated it liked it
This book's chapters are alternately written by the two protagonists, twin sisters Ophelia and Cordelia. It's a very cute story about an antique doll the girls find in the attic of their new home and then lose again when the doll is stolen in the park. There are several suspects and the girls follow the clues to flush out the thief. An enjoyable read.
Karen
Dec 17, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it
Twins Cordelia and Ophelia find an antique doll in an attic. It is stolen and the two young detectives set out to solve the mystery.

I read every Jacqueline Jackson book that our library had. I remember that I would become interested in the elements of the books and try to be more like the characters.
V. Gingerich
Oct 06, 2013 V. Gingerich rated it really liked it
A dear favorite from my school days. I reread it every term and now own it, out of sentiment. Very cute kids' book with some good detective work.
Shannon
Shannon rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2012
Frogs
Frogs rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2009
Eilonwy
Eilonwy rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2015
Sarah Schandle
Sarah Schandle rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
Jackie
Jackie rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2008
Arwen
Aug 13, 2015 Arwen rated it it was amazing
This was one of the books that defined my childhood. Read it over and over. A wonderful mystery.
Sharon Buxton
May 08, 2016 Sharon Buxton rated it really liked it
B+. children's book, dolls, middle grades, upper elementary, mystery, mom's stash, keep.
ZEUS
Jun 26, 2009 ZEUS marked it as to-read
very good
Lisa Mcbroom
Lisa Mcbroom rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2013
Debbie
Debbie rated it liked it
May 08, 2011
Alice
Alice rated it it was ok
Mar 05, 2009
Kelsi
Kelsi rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2008
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2012
Sheila
Sheila rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2013
Ella
Ella rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2014
CLM
Dec 29, 2014 CLM rated it really liked it
Twins Cordelia and Ophelia and a mysterious doll - now missing!
Deb
Deb rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2008
Lexi
Lexi rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2011
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2014
Kendra
Kendra rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2013
Ryann
Ryann rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2014
Addietot
Addietot rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2014
Jacqueline Jackson is a retired Professor of English from the University of Illinois at Springfield. She also taught children's literature at Kent State University. She has four daughters: Damaris (deceased), Gillian, Elspeth, and Megan.

Ms. Jackson's for young readers are Julie's Secret Sloth, The Paleface Redskins, Chicken Ten Thousand, The Ghost Boat, and The Taste of Spruce Gum, a Notable Chil
More about Jacqueline Jackson...