Start by marking “Maida's Little Shop (Maida, #1)” as Want to Read:
Maida's Little Shop (Maida, #1)

Read Book* *Different edition

Maida's Little Shop (Maida #1)

Maida's Little Shop is a gentle story with a delightful little girl heroine and lovable characters. Inez Haynes Irwin used the pseudonym Inez Haynes Gilmore. She was a feminist writer and was a member of the National Women's Party. Maida is a sweet little girl whose father is one of the richest men in America. She is pale, listless and lame. Her father buys her a small ...more
Published March 1st 2006 by IndyPublish.com (first published 1909)

To ask other readers questions about Maida's Little Shop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maida's Little Shop

Katherine Meyer
Feb 16, 2012 Katherine Meyer rated it it was amazing
My mother kept all of the Maida books she read as a child, so they were on our bookshelf at home when I was growing up. I read them as a child and loved them. Now I decided to re-read them, beginning with this, the first in the series. Strange, I remember that as a child --- while I loved ALL the Maida books--- this first one was never my favorite. But now, as an adult, I can appreciate it so much more! It is a delightful book; so charming and full of adorable and lovable characters. It's so ...more
Emily
A charming book from 1909 about a sickly, very rich, little girl whose father buys out a small toy and sweet shop after she expresses an interest in shop keeping and sets her up in charge of it. I guess every child has a strong interest in "playing store", and this little fantasy could not be more satisfactorily realized than it is in this book, which I would have adored had I read it as a child. As it is, I quite liked it, and was intrigued to learn from Constance that some of the settings in ...more
Carolynne
Aug 02, 2007 Carolynne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: oldfavorites
Wealthy "Buffalo" Westabrook buys a shop in Charlestown, MA, for his daughter Maida, recovering from an unnamed but incapacitating illness. It gives her a new lease on life as she organizes the little shop and meets all the neighborhood children, whose lives are intertwined with hers from then on.
If you liked _Dandelion Cottage_ by Carroll Watson Rankin or _Two Are Better Than One_ by Carol Ryrie Brink you'll love this.
Susanna - Censored by GoodReads
May 06, 2008 Susanna - Censored by GoodReads rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Susanna - Censored by GoodReads by: my mother
I utterly adored this book as a child. I had my mother's copy, as I don't think it was in print then.
Miz Lizzie
Originally published in 1910, the print-on-demand copy I read might as well have been an electronic copy for the lack of joy it added to the reading experience. I imagine an old copy (even a reprint) of the book, no doubt illustrated, would greatly contribute to the enjoyment of this old-fashioned tale. Maida is a poor little rich girl whose tycoon father buys her a little shop in the hopes of reviving her interest in life after a surgery that has finally allowed her to learn to walk. She makes ...more
Whistlers Mom
Sep 24, 2016 Whistlers Mom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If Charles Dickens and Louisa May Alcott had a love child this would be the results.

When I was growing up in the 1950's I had three of the "Maida's Little" books and loved them. MAIDA"S LITTLE SHOP is the precursor of this popular series and was written many years before the ones I owned. The main characters are the same (with some variations) but the tone is far different.

In the later books, Maida and seven friends (the "Big Eight") live on her father's estate. They're taught by an energetic, p
Larry Piper
Mar 15, 2016 Larry Piper rated it really liked it
The Maida series of books were my spouse's favorites when she was growing up. This is the first of the series and was published in 1909 (well, my book says 1909, the wikipedia says 1910). Maida is a sick, little rich girl and her father, doctor and friend decide that she might be made well if only she could engage in something that truly interested her. She gets all excited by an old shop and they buy it and let her set it up (in Charlestown, MA). She makes her first real friends whilst the ...more
Kathryn McCary
I read this book 47 years ago, in fifth grade, and was glad to have the opportunity to renew the acquaintance through the Project Gutenberg version.

Maida, the child of a fabulously wealthy father, has recently been cured of the lameness she suffered from birth, but needs something to perk her spirits up--so her father buys her a little candy and sundries shop in a poor neighborhood, tells her she must make a success of it, and takes off for Wall Street leaving her under the protection of her old
Susan Berger
Jul 06, 2014 Susan Berger rated it it was amazing
I was given the Maida series for my 8th birthday. I adored it. So did my brother. When he had a daughter, it was the first series he gave her. Maida's little House is the second book. The series was written from 1909 to 1958. I was eight in 1951, so I was unaware of the last three books. I would love to read them, but they are very rare and prohibitively expensive. I cannot tell you how many times I have read these books.
Jan
Jul 08, 2011 Jan rated it really liked it
This series was one of my daughter's favorites when she was young. Now my granddaughter is the right age. I reread this charming book this week as it has been many, many years since I loved the series as a child. A beautiful book to share generation after generation after generation. Reading it on an iPad meant I didn't see any illustrations. Are there any?
Christine Desrochers-Broderick
My great aunts roommate Grace, told me this was the first book she read as a child on her own and absolutely fell in love with the series. So I ordered it from eBay and read it first, I loved the story almost as much as I love Little Women! Tomorrow I will give it to her and I've already found the next two!
Barn Grammy
Jan 17, 2015 Barn Grammy rated it it was amazing
As many here have said, I read these books as a child 60 years ago. My aunt had only the first 4 books, and I didn't know until recently that there had been 12 in the series. My daughters read my 4, also. Rereading the first book, I found it as charming and engaging as I had so many years ago. What a wonderful gift for the author to leave such a legacy.
Jul 23, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it
Oh, my goodness! Through Goodreads, I rediscovered the name of this series I've been seeking for years! I read these books at a friend's house and the characters and sweet stories made a big impression on me.
Cheryl Wilks
Oct 01, 2013 Cheryl Wilks rated it really liked it
Shelves: maida-books
I had never heard of this series until I saw the title on the back of another children's book. I found the book interesting and well written. I enjoyed reading it .
Diane
Diane rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2010
Mary Stuart
Mary Stuart rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2013
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2010
Peggy
Peggy rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2011
Bernadette
Bernadette rated it did not like it
Aug 30, 2016
Kira
Kira rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2009
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2010
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2010
Red
Red rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2012
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2007
Melody
Melody rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2013
Susan rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2014
Sarah rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2012
Dec 24, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books from childhood and available for free on Kindle!!
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2013
Barbara Bryant
Barbara Bryant rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Christie's Old Organ (Rare Collector's Series)
  • Stories of the Pilgrims
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Mystery at Meadowbrook (Bobbsey Twins, #7)
  • Five Little Peppers Midway (Five Little Peppers, #2)
  • Secret of the Prince's Tomb (Imagination Station #7)
  • Mandie Books Pack, Vols. 11-15
  • The Children's Book of Christmas Stories
  • Crowns: Portraits of Black Women in Church Hats
  • The Peterkin Papers
  • Uncle Wiggily's Adventures
  • The Lost Queen of Egypt
  • Dick Whittington and His Cat
  • The Ralph Mouse Collection (Ralph #1-3)
  • Shadowkeep
  • Pandas and Other Endangered Species (Magic Tree House Fact Tracker, #26)
  • William - An Englishman
  • Treasures from Grandma (Grandma's Attic, #4)
  • How to Swallow a Pig: Step-by-Step Advice from the Animal Kingdom
An early graduate of Radcliffe College, Irwin was an accomplished writer of juvenile fiction - the beloved "Maida" books - and of respected historical fiction for adults. She married fellow reporter-novelist Will Irwin (her second husband) in 1916.
More about Inez Haynes Irwin...

Maida (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Maida's Little House (Maida, #2)
  • Maida's Little School (Maida, #3)
  • Maida's Little Island (Maida, #4)
  • Maida's Little Camp (Maida, #5)
  • Maida's Little Village (Maida, #6)
  • Maida's Little Houseboat (Maida, #7)
  • Maida's Little Theater (Maida, #8)
  • Maida's Little Cabins (Maida, #9)
  • Maida's Little Zoo (Maida, #10)
  • Maida's Little Lighthouse (Maida, #11)