Start by marking “This Is Life (Jack Palms Crime #2)” as Want to Read:
This Is Life (Jack Palms Crime #2)
Read Excerpt

This Is Life (Jack Palms Crime #2)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  270 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Jack Palms is more interested in tuning up his vintage Mustang than starring in action films these days. Along with his failed marriage and plenty of bad habits, Jack abandoned his acting career three years ago and life’s just the way Jack wants it: boring.

But picking up where Jack Wakes Up left off, Jack now finds himself in the middle of a whodunit in the seedy red-light
Published February 19th 2013 by Thomas & Mercer (first published June 3rd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about This Is Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is Life

Josh
The third instalment in the Jack Palms series picks up right where THIS IS LIFE left off. Jack is in hospital recovering from injuries sustained at the end of THIS IS LIFE - in short order, he’s out and in the crosshairs of Russian mob boss Alexi Akakievich. Before long all hell breaks loose and Jack is reacquainted with some former friends in Freeman and Miles who are a little more than a streaky blood stain of their former selves. With Czechs Vlade, Niki, Al, and SFPD Officer Shaw and FBI Agen ...more
Josh
Slightly less apprehensive in the face ofdanger, Jack is forced to play a hardened hand and recreate his characterportrayal of a movie tough guy in order to bring an end to police and politicalcorruption. An explosive opening stanza showed promise that this instalment wasto follow-on from the action packed ‘Jack Wakes Up’ –however, while the guns blazed, the protagonist’s light dimmed somewhatin my opinion. Unfortunately I failed to connect with the former accidentalhero turned FBI and local cop ...more
BigJohn
Really fun book. Plot wise, I think it's superior to the first outing, but it's full of great characters that exist alongside some cliched characters. Jack Palms is back from his month chaperoning the Czechs across country, and comes back to San Francisco to relax and move on with his life.

Unfortunately, in his absence, the crime lords Jack pissed off in Book One are not about to forget about Jack and what he's done to mess up their operation. Jack barely has time to shower and take a brief nap
BigJohn
Czechmate, or Jack Palms 3, continues where This is Life left off. I've seen on Amazon that apparently this 3rd installment is now included in the printed version of This is Life, and that makes sense. It really does feel like a more complete conclusion to the second story moreso than a standalone third story.

For the first time, we get the hectic world of Jack Palms from other perspectives. In the first two books, all the action and narration centers around Jack. We don't really get to see what
Elizabeth A.
“It doesn’t matter how you got here, because you in it.” – Freeman

Ex-action movie star Jack Palms seems to find himself “in it” quite a bit. When we last saw Jack in series opener Jack Wakes Up, he had barely managed to extricate himself from between a rock and a hard place in the middle of a Bay Area drug war.

As we catch up with Jack in This Is Life, he has just returned home after a long cross country motorcycle trip he used to clear his head and get back on track. Unfortunately for Jack, his
Elizabeth A.
Czechmate picks up where This Is Life leaves off, literally. Still caught in the crosshairs of a very angry and powerful Russian mobster, Jack sees the arrival of some unexpected help when Czechs Vlade, Niki and Al make a return appearance from series opener Jack Wakes Up. Seems they have their own ax to grind against Alexi, and along with them and newly made allies SFPD Officer Shaw and FBI Agent Jane Gannon, Jack decides to play a little offense this time around and take the fight to Alexi. So ...more
Timm Gillick
Jan 13, 2013 Timm Gillick rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Timm by: Seth Harwood
I loved this book. Non-stop action, over the top characters, deception, blood, death, mayhem, Russian mobs, movie starts, NFL stars... The only thing missing was a kitchen sink!

Jack Palms, one hit wonder movie star, has fallen on hard times of his own doing -- career in toilet, ex-wife, addictions -- and has decided to help some of his former dealer buddies to make some quick cash. What he doesn't expect is to upset some of the competition, and what they're willing to do to retaliate against Jac
Mxyzptlk
With Amazon imprint Thomas & Mercer’s recent re-release of Seth Harwood’s This is Life (A Jack Palms Novel,) I thought I’d go back and check out the original podcast version from the CrimeWAV website. This is the same place I’ve enjoyed the original Palms novel Jack Wakes Up along with the superb spinoff/prequel Young Junius (also re-released on Thomas & Mercer.)
These and much more are still available as free downloads off from Seth’s website (sethharwood.com) and CrimeWAV.com. These pod
Ryan
This was my first real exposure to Harwood's work in audio form - despite his making his name for himself as a podcaster, I read the first book in print before checking out the podcast of this one.

It was an interesting experience, going from print to audio - Harwood uses a distinctive first-person-present voice throughout the Palms books, and it felt a little awkward at first due to it. I got over it eventually - Harwoods sense of humour and great story pacing skills overcome it easily, but for
harlen l hoover
To much blood and Gore

To much blood and Gore

average story line. to much killing shooting with to little story the plot was just ok.Hard for me to recommend it
Jeanne
Fun series

Not a cozy mystery yet funny with involved plot and fleshed out characters Jack palms and sidekick are a formidable team
Dan Pope
More Jack Palms. Does that make me happy? Need I say five stars? Looking forward to the next installment.
Crystal Chm
Beautiful mindless entertainment can be found in this book, but only after you read the 1st book in the series, Jack Wakes Up. I found the 2nd book here to be grittier than the 1st, with a thinner plot, but still enjoyable. As is typical of the author's style, the violent tone is balanced by how cartoon-ish the violence is. Another reason for liking the book is the snappy dialogue and one liners.

Highly recommended for a book to read on the beach, if the beach reader likes a book that is grisly,
Kimberly Ewertz
This Is Life was my first read of the author, Seth Harwood, and by the time I finished it I wanted MORE!!! It was exciting, mysterious, violent, and it captures the reader's attention and doesn't let go.
I think one of the best compliments I can give about this book is that I honestly didn't know what would happen next. The author keeps the reader guessing, a great treat for any reader.
I highly recommend This Is Life, and I highly recommend the author, Seth Harwood.
Sam Bradley
The worst part about JP 3 is that it's over and we'll have to wait for a while to find out what happens to Jack next. Seth leaves him in a state that opens up a number of possibilities for JP 4. The Vigaro really hits the mixmaster in JP 3 and we don't know what the long range effects will be for poor Jack. Just like JP 1 and 2, the action is hot, fast and intense. I hope Jack and the Fastback aren't out of sight for long ...
Mark
You don't know Jack, until Jack Palms drags you through San Francisco from the inside out. Jack is back in Seth Harwood's THIS IS LIFE with Freeman, the Czechs, crooked cops, sex slaves, and of course--the '65 Mustang fastback. Jack Palms novels pack more punch than Jack Daniels straight up, and go down easier than a Jack in the Box burrito after an all night bender. Do this book. 5 stars.
Tena
Action packed and entertaining. I felt a little lost once in a while because I haven't read the other Jack Palms books, but it wasn't anything that kept me from finishing the book. I'm definitely game to read more, and I enjoyed getting to find out how Jane Gannon met Jack.
Crystal Chm
So short!!!! The print book was a little over a 100 pages, but still action packed. Not as good as Jack Wakes Up, but worthy of the series. I'm looking forward to This is Life coming out this month.
William
Seth Harwood has created a fantastic character in Jack Palms, and another full of action novel. With great shady charcters,and a really good story.Make this latest a great read..
Mark
This was a great action packed follow-up to This Is Life. My only complaint was that it was quite a bit too short to really feel like the third book of the series.
Jodi
I really enjoy Seth's sense of humor and writing style. It makes me want to read (or listen to) more of his works.
Lisa Fierro
Great book! Fast pace tons of action. Love the characters hope to see more of hem in future books. Jack palms rocks!
Hriday
The usual potboiler dishing out the regular fare of murder, whodunit, gore, sex and violence.
Jodi
Again another successful Jack Palms book. I totally enjoyed the series.
Mark
Another awesome installment in the Jack Palms series. Bravo.
Maria Elena
Great story. With plenty of action and drama!
Sonja
love seth harwood books
David
David marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
  • 7th Son: Book Three - Destruction
  • One Among the Sleepless
  • Owner's Share (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, #6)
  • Eden
  • Nocturnal
  • Space Casey
  • The Immortals
  • Murder at Avedon Hill
  • Hell
In 2005, Seth Harwood began writing his debut novel, Jack Wakes Up. No stranger to the literary scene, Harwood had graduated from the prestigious Iowa Writers' Workshop just a few years earlier and his short stories had been published in numerous literary magazines and anthologies; getting attention from publishers for Jack Wakes Up, however, proved more difficult.
So in July of 2006, Seth recorde
More about Seth Harwood...

Jack Palms Crime (3 books)
  • Jack Wakes Up (Jack Palms, #1)
  • Triad Death Match
Jack Wakes Up (Jack Palms, #1) In Broad Daylight Young Junius A Long Way from Disney Triad Death Match