Start by marking “Principe delle nuvole” as Want to Read:
Principe delle nuvole

Principe delle nuvole

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  89 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
"La guerra è cultura. La guerra è esattamente carneficina e massacro. Una malattia del genere umano. Ma, quando la si contrae, nulla avviene più senza ragione. Si vince e si perde con una logica ferrea, eppure la fortuna mantiene il suo ruolo. Il solo modo per opporsi al demonio del Fato è dunque apprendere il metodo razionale del combattimento. Questo paradosso è la guerr ...more
Published 1997 by Rizzoli - RCS Libri

To ask other readers questions about Principe delle nuvole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Principe delle nuvole

Ken Deshaies
Mar 15, 2011 Ken Deshaies rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An awesome book. Probably the most detailed history I've every read in fiction. The protagonist is a war strategist and historian. His recounts of battles, and why they were won or lost, is the thread that interweaves all details of the story, from theory to history to current affairs. The current affairs include a marriage that was never anticipated, advocation for a tryst between two young people, an understanding of the politics and class struggles of Sicily, and a (also unanticipated) battle ...more
Juliet Wilson
Aug 09, 2009 Juliet Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I was drawn to this book because of the historical setting in Italy and the fact that one of the main characters is a poet. When i started reading and found there's loads of military strategy in it, I thought 'oh no!'. However the military strategy is fascinating and the whole book is intriguing and thought provoking. The main character Terzo is a military strategist who has never fought in a war yet he manages to engage the interest of Salvatore (the poet) and this reader in military strategy, ...more
Diana
i had 2 goes at reading the first few pages as it just seemed like pages of words that i couldnt make sense of, btu once i got into the story and the characters i found myself really enjoying it. the battle descriptions are very detailed but add to the climax of the story when they all come into play. I read a review tht said someone tried to skip the battle scenes and just read 'the story' they admitted they had to read read it with the battles as it lost so much doing that. They are in for a r ...more
Helenb
Feb 10, 2012 Helenb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't know who Katie B was but she must have read a different book to me. I'm not big on boring historical books, and it does sound quite dry on the surface but I thought it was one of the most romatic books I've ever read. Beautifully written, so sad. And as quite an unexpected result gave me a greater understanding of the politics of WW2, from a different perspective - that of a reluctant member of the wrong side - there were good people on the bad side.
Samuel
Nov 02, 2007 Samuel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deeply touching novel that talks about life, war and military strategy. With its hero a gentle military historian who sets out to make sense of life through the lens of military strategy, this book moved me greatly.
Ginny_1807
Sep 26, 2012 Ginny_1807 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romanzi, italia
"Il colonnello Carlo Terzo sospese la lettura e alzò lo sguardo al sole, aspettando una risposta. Ma il tenente Amedeo Campari, piedi ben piantati sulla sabbia della spiaggia maremmana, guardava in silenzio l'orizzonte del mare e tirava di fioretto contro l'infinito. Nel balenare di luce della lama, il libeccio piegava la cima dei pini, rovesciando sulla riva bianche ondate di spuma..."
Prologo, secondo paragrafo.
Tac! Conquistata.

E l'arte della guerra, concepita dal protagonista come cultura,
Jasper Mijares
Sep 17, 2013 Jasper Mijares rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes you come across a book that surprises you with its simply told but elegantly constructed story. Something that makes you look at your life and relationships with fresh new eyes and reminds you that its the tiny pleasures of our daily lives that defines the boundaries of love and joy.

At heart it is a common tale of war and lovers caught within its web, but go deeper and it becomes a tale of innocence lost and youth revisited, of what it felt to be young and so sure of everything, but al
Kathy
Jan 07, 2011 Kathy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010, italy
The best thing about Prince of the Clouds is the cover design. But that is also the worst thing, because it makes you believe that the book might be worth reading. Big mistake.

The hero has devoted his life to the study of military strategy. Even if you take the mind-numbing tedium of that sentence and multiply it by a hundred, you could never get a hint of just how boring this book is.

I despise the premise of this story - that war is romantic, heroic and interesting. In fact, as the book so clea
Renan Mendes
Feb 22, 2016 Renan Mendes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I chose this book for sheer luck and was surprised by how good it was. I had never read anything from Riota, but I was immediately impressed by his writing. Enticing story with a very well constructed ambiance. I really recommend this book for people that love history, war and love stories.
Iza
Feb 20, 2016 Iza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is amazing how the author can give so many details of wars and mix them with a romantic and adventurous story!
Chris
Jun 22, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book.

I found the details of the historical battles fascinating. Setting these against the background of post WWII Italy is a wonderful idea.

This reader empathised with the Colonel, for whom it is almost too late, and then with the young lovers whom we hope will have a future in a new Italy in a new world.

Both the reader and the characters are left with dreams in tatters but some vestiges of hope.

Ali Barrah
Probably more a man's book, it is full of military history which can be quite tedious, but you have to read it as the love story is woven into the military history. The love story is delightful, sad and poignant and well worth wading through ancient battles. I did try and skip a battle and found I had missed an important part of the story.
Giovanna
Feb 28, 2008 Giovanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Giovanna by: Booklovers Page-a-day calendar
Shelves: fiction, italy
Not a book I would have expected to like very much, military history not being a big passion of mine. But I did like it--a lot. The discussions of historic battles between the historian and his student were quite interesting, as was the connection between military strategy and life. And the book as a whole was quite moving.
Sofia
Sep 20, 2012 Sofia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a very big fan of military history books and before I start reading the book I was sure that I wouldn't liked it... but how wrong I was!! I liked it very much!! I didn't expect this!! 4 stars and not 5 because I didn't like the end :-(.... I was expecting another end, what can I say... I'm a woman :-)
Quite good, enjoyed it more than I thought I would - parts along the lines of Captain Corelli
Clare
A man must reluctantly put his study of war strategies to the test.
Hayley.yule
May 08, 2014 Hayley.yule rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-read
Not for me
Tinytim Timea
Tinytim Timea rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Andi Miller
Andi Miller marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Rozemarijn
Rozemarijn marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Bertolina
Bertolina rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Sur Gurung
Sur Gurung is currently reading it
Jun 14, 2016
Andrew Ayala
Andrew Ayala rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2016
CorinneLea
CorinneLea marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Tiago Aires
Tiago Aires marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Trent Shepherd
Trent Shepherd marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Alessandra
Alessandra marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
ALGebraist
ALGebraist rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

“In this city [Palermo] . . . it's the souls of the dead who bring presents to the children. . . . We go to the cemetery to ask the dead for toys.” 2 likes