Principe Delle Nuvole

Principe Delle Nuvole

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A bestseller in Italy, Prince of the Clouds is a compelling tale that blends romance and military strategy, often to delightful, sometimes comic effect. Military scholar Carlo Terzo is exiled to Palermo, Sicily, in the wake of World War II. While caring for his ailing wife, he begins to tutor Salvatore Dragonara, a young Communist and poet, and Fiore, an aristocrat and dau...more
Hardcover
Published by Rizzoli - RCS Libri (first published June 1st 2000)

Samuel
Deeply touching novel that talks about life, war and military strategy. With its hero a gentle military historian who sets out to make sense of life through the lens of military strategy, this book moved me greatly.
Ken Deshaies
An awesome book. Probably the most detailed history I've every read in fiction. The protagonist is a war strategist and historian. His recounts of battles, and why they were won or lost, is the thread that interweaves all details of the story, from theory to history to current affairs. The current affairs include a marriage that was never anticipated, advocation for a tryst between two young people, an understanding of the politics and class struggles of Sicily, and a (also unanticipated) battle...more
Ginny_1807
"Il colonnello Carlo Terzo sospese la lettura e alzò lo sguardo al sole, aspettando una risposta. Ma il tenente Amedeo Campari, piedi ben piantati sulla sabbia della spiaggia maremmana, guardava in silenzio l'orizzonte del mare e tirava di fioretto contro l'infinito. Nel balenare di luce della lama, il libeccio piegava la cima dei pini, rovesciando sulla riva bianche ondate di spuma..."
Prologo, secondo paragrafo.
Tac! Conquistata.

E l'arte della guerra, concepita dal protagonista come cultura,...more
Jasper Mijares
Sometimes you come across a book that surprises you with its simply told but elegantly constructed story. Something that makes you look at your life and relationships with fresh new eyes and reminds you that its the tiny pleasures of our daily lives that defines the boundaries of love and joy.

At heart it is a common tale of war and lovers caught within its web, but go deeper and it becomes a tale of innocence lost and youth revisited, of what it felt to be young and so sure of everything, but al...more
Kathy
The best thing about Prince of the Clouds is the cover design. But that is also the worst thing, because it makes you believe that the book might be worth reading. Big mistake.

The hero has devoted his life to the study of military strategy. Even if you take the mind-numbing tedium of that sentence and multiply it by a hundred, you could never get a hint of just how boring this book is.

I despise the premise of this story - that war is romantic, heroic and interesting. In fact, as the book so clea...more
Juliet Wilson
I was drawn to this book because of the historical setting in Italy and the fact that one of the main characters is a poet. When i started reading and found there's loads of military strategy in it, I thought 'oh no!'. However the military strategy is fascinating and the whole book is intriguing and thought provoking. The main character Terzo is a military strategist who has never fought in a war yet he manages to engage the interest of Salvatore (the poet) and this reader in military strategy,...more
Helenb
Don't know who Katie B was but she must have read a different book to me. I'm not big on boring historical books, and it does sound quite dry on the surface but I thought it was one of the most romatic books I've ever read. Beautifully written, so sad. And as quite an unexpected result gave me a greater understanding of the politics of WW2, from a different perspective - that of a reluctant member of the wrong side - there were good people on the bad side.
Chris
I love this book.

I found the details of the historical battles fascinating. Setting these against the background of post WWII Italy is a wonderful idea.

This reader empathised with the Colonel, for whom it is almost too late, and then with the young lovers whom we hope will have a future in a new Italy in a new world.

Both the reader and the characters are left with dreams in tatters but some vestiges of hope.

Ali Barrah
Probably more a man's book, it is full of military history which can be quite tedious, but you have to read it as the love story is woven into the military history. The love story is delightful, sad and poignant and well worth wading through ancient battles. I did try and skip a battle and found I had missed an important part of the story.
Giovanna
Feb 28, 2008 Giovanna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Giovanna by: Booklovers Page-a-day calendar
Shelves: fiction, italy
Not a book I would have expected to like very much, military history not being a big passion of mine. But I did like it--a lot. The discussions of historic battles between the historian and his student were quite interesting, as was the connection between military strategy and life. And the book as a whole was quite moving.
Sofia
I'm not a very big fan of military history books and before I start reading the book I was sure that I wouldn't liked it... but how wrong I was!! I liked it very much!! I didn't expect this!! 4 stars and not 5 because I didn't like the end :-(.... I was expecting another end, what can I say... I'm a woman :-)
Quite good, enjoyed it more than I thought I would - parts along the lines of Captain Corelli
Clare
A man must reluctantly put his study of war strategies to the test.
Matteo
Mapina
Mapina added it
May 12, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Nancy Boone
Nancy Boone marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Daria
Daria added it
Apr 14, 2014
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Kornelia
Kornelia marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Miriam Bojorges
Miriam Bojorges marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Il web ci rende liberi? Politica e vita quotidiana nel mondo digitale The Lights Of Alborada Le cose che ho imparato Alborada: [romanzo] Ombra: Un capriccio veneziano

“In this city [Palermo] . . . it's the souls of the dead who bring presents to the children. . . . We go to the cemetery to ask the dead for toys.” 2 likes