Start by marking “Promise You Won't Tell?” as Want to Read:
Promise You Won't Tell?

Promise You Won't Tell?

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  4,379 ratings  ·  376 reviews
“I think something might have happened to me Saturday night. Something bad.”

Private Investigator Dani Ripper’s client list is nuttier than the Looney Tunes conga line, but she diligently solves one crazy case after another, waiting for a game-changer.

Enter Riley Freeman, 17-year-old honor student.

Saturday afternoon Riley quietly placed a little strawberry sticker on her pr
Published December 2nd 2012 by Telemachus Press

Caitlin Caprigno
I got this book free from amazon, so I can't complain about money lost. I can't really complain about time being lost either since I kept turning the pages. I feel like the author didn't develop dialogue very well. The voices of ALL the characters sound the same. It was bothersome but I kept reading. Then the writing was deteriorating and I still continued because the storyline captivated me. As much as the writing was bothering me, a good story can hold me. However my bigesst complaint was with ...more
Cora Tea Party Princess
This book was nothing like a thought it would be. But it was pretty great despite that.

And I loved that twist at the end, I didn't quite see that coming.

I like Dani and I'll probably read more of this series. She's smart and sexy and savvy, and so strong. I loved how she was so passionate about catching the bad guys, the predators. I wasn't sure about Riley at first, but by the end she was every bit as amazing as Dani.

Ethan was vile, absolutely vile. And he was meant to be. I'm just a little dis
Bev
I kept seeing this book being mentioned on lists. It was described as exciting and different. So I tried it.

The story is about a P.I. Dani Ripper who is asked to investigate a college girls story of sexual molestation. Dani as a former victim rushes in find the needed evidence.

Can I start by saying that this falls in the self published category. Which is not always a bad thing. The author sells loads of downloads and is obviously popular.

It was a load of utter tripe. Garbage that bordered on th
Erica
Deianira
I couldn’t stop reading this book because I'm dying to know what really happened during that one night of partying/ teenage drinking. It’s like an episode of CSI, but with a big dose of Nancy Drew and more humor.

Dani Ripper is a smart, determined, and a stubborn detective and nothing would stop her from finding out the truth. Not even her shadowed past will faze her from doing her job. She reminds me of yet another gutsy detective Veronica Mars.

It all started when a teenage girl asked for her
Jessica Brown
What a great book. I just got it because it was free...looked interesting. It was good, I laughed in places, mystery, suspense... I didn't even realize who the author was until I was done reading it and realized it was a guy. I could have sworned it was a 23 year old woman! Reminds me of Janet Evanovich's writing style. Light reading, perfect to relax to.
Shannon
Promise You Won’t Tell

The Characters

Dani Ripper

The Story

Nothing too terrible with this one other than it’s not grabbing me. I am slightly interested in who Dani’s partners are but not enough to continue. *sigh*

The Random Thoughts

*DNF so no rating
Lisa Pietsch
Outstanding! You think it's going to be a simple story but then there's a twist. And another. And another!
Sandra Mccallum
Quirky, doesn't strain the brain cells. Bit of fun, light reading
Jill
Feb 24, 2014 Jill rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
I did not like the writing style of this author. :-(
Michelle
Initially I thought I'd made a mistake in selecting this story to read but suck it out and actually ended up finding it somewhat engaging.

My intial problem was that we meet Dani Ripper, a PI, she was dealing with a potential client in a way I would describe as less then professional. It really through me off and she just seemed so juvenile in both her language and overall being. Granted she's basically like this throughout the story is does ease up and I've decided that the tramatic event she de
Patricia
I don't even know

There were some good parts in this book, but for the most part I was left shaking my head.

I had to go back and re-read the synopsis after reading the first page of the first chapter. 64 pages in, and I was still wondering what the hell I was reading.

There really was no character depth. And what was revealed about the characters made me think "Seriously? You can't possibly..."

"Is this some sort of joke?" was said more than a few times by different people throughout the book, an
Lauren
Im just not sure how I feel about this book. It starts out interesting enough. This probably could have been a really good story if it had been written a little better.

I liked the mystery of everything but there was too much he-said-she-said going on. It got really confusing. The whole time you're questioning "did she get raped, molested - what?!?" or "Is Ethan lying? Maybe her friends were involved..." but this isn't a good thing like it would normally be in a gripping whodunit...

As much as I
Tina
I got this book for free off barnes & noble, the premise sounded interesting. I wasn't quite sure what to think once I started reading it. When reading the synopsis I thought this book was gonna be about a girl being assaulted and how she goes about dealing with it. But it wasn't from the girls point of view it was from the P.I's point of view. And even though the story does revolve around an assault on a girl, it was so much more than that. I was impressed with the writing style and the sna ...more
Kaytee
I wanted to read it because of the aspect of finding justice for a girl taken advantage of at a party. I've been taken advantage of at a party. This story was about a young girl who faked the whole thing with help from a friend and friend's mother, not only to ruin boys that are "rich" but to get something out of it. This does NOT help those of use who were truly taken advantage of. I do NOT recommend this book to ANYONE!
Lisa
While I kind of liked the character of Dani, she wasn't terribly fleshed out. She had the potential to be a likable character (I liked the voice the book was written in, because I did read it in less than a day), but her supporting cast wasn't really very interesting. I had an outright dislike for Riley by the end of the book, as well as her friends. Dillon and Fanny could have been interesting, but they were like NPCs. Just a little hint here and there, but not enough of a hint to make you want ...more
Jen Banks
There were only three good things about this book:
1) It was free
2) It was a quick read
3) I never have to read it again

The characters are flimsy and all have the same voice. They seemingly have no redeeming features at all, and the final 'plot twist' is both obvious and ridiculous.
Shriya
Riley turned out to be a psychopath plotting to earn millions of dollars through someone elses dirty laundry but the protagonist applauded her for it. Basically no one had a problem with that in the end. What no one else seemed to mention and that is from the reviews I read is that she was okay with getting raped if it meant she and her friends could get revenge and cash from it.
the protagonist, was in "awe" of her instead of being disgusted.
Also I didnt like the way the entire book ended with b
Julie Powell
This story certainly had its twists, but throughout I had this feeling of sadness because it reflected a world of selfish pursuits and an overall disrespect for anyone.

The writing style was snappy and contemporary and suited the plot and storyline, its characters are realistic if not all of them likeable - a testament to the author's talent.

I cannot say I loved this book but did appreciate its style.
Vanessa Fenn
BooksandBeyondFiftyShades

“I think something might have happened to me Saturday night. Something bad.” Private Investigator Dani Ripper’s client list is nuttier than the Looney Tunes, but she diligently solves one crazy case after another, waiting for a game-changer.

Saturday afternoon Riley Freeman, a 17 year old honor student, quietly placed a little strawberry sticker on her private area and pretended it was a tattoo, then she went to a slumber party. She didn’t tell anyone about the sticker, but after a slumber party
Fizzy
'Promise You Won't Tell?' had a good premise. It had a lot of potential to be a good story. And it was, mostly. There was humor, a smidge of intrigue, and an interesting line up of characters and side stories. However, I feel like the author fell a little short on the believability and the delivery of the potential the story had to offer.

Dani Ripper, Private Eye, was witty in a often times juvenile way. Her offbeat style of sarcasm made it harder to believe the times she tried to be serious. He
Maggie
Riley Freeman turns up in Dani Ripper's (Private Investigator) office claiming something happened to her at a sleepover at friend's house & requests Dani's help.

So Dani investigates with help of friends & along the way it's revealed she was hostage rape victim. She makes light of it constantly, talks about sex all time to clients & says so many inappropriate things to them as well.

Story itself was so overcomplicated when there was no need for it to be. The males were evil wee creatur
Katherine
Leticia
I don't even know how to begin with this book.

I think the author of the book is either very creative, or very off. Then again, I've heard that sometimes, there's very little distinction between the two. Some of the characters he created and the dialogue and the situations he wrote about in this book are strange. Beyond strange. It had me going "Uh...what?" several times throughout the book.u

I rated it two stars because half of the book is only dialogue. I get it, because the dialogue was the mo
Katie
I absolutely loved Dani's character. John Locke gave her such quick wit and humor, so fast with the comebacks, she is a great thinker on the run, and she always figures out her mystery....and this mystery was pretty twisted! There were twists and turns and i really enjoyed it.Great mystery book and John Locke is a great writer,loved his writing style and humor. I would definitely read another one of his books and recommend this one.
Foxfire
The writing style is quite unusual, mostly rapid-fire dialogue with hardly any description at all. It worked well for the story, but after a while it got a bit tedious and I ended up skimming.

The plot was good, with many twists and turns. However, I didn't like the PI heroine. She was far too cavalier about breaking the law. Plus, she was not intelligent enough for what she was supposed to be doing. Right up to the end, she never really seemed to understand what was going on, but others had to f
Jocelle Gibson
Leonie
This is possibly the craziest book I've ever read! I loved the character of Dani she was so flippant and funny I really liked her, her colleagues were also great and her relationships with 'assassins' the storyline was also good kept me reading till the end
Rowena
A very easy read with pretty boring plot line untik a final twist. author had a bad habit of adding additional info re the characters which was useful e.g one was homosexual. Other than a chapter on it the info made no difference. Take it or leave it book...
YA Book Gang!!: Promise You Won't Tell? by John Loche/Starting July 1st 14 18 Jul 12, 2014 06:04PM
Goodreads Librari...: Combining Editions 3 24 May 24, 2013 01:54PM
  • Call Me
  • The Sixth Sense (Brier Hospital, #3)
  • The Lies that Save Us (Broken Heart, #1)
  • Eyes of the Predator The Pickham County Murders
  • Invisible
  • Assured Destruction (Assured Destruction #1)
  • Rope Enough (The Romney and Marsh Files #1)
  • Deadly Stillwater
  • The Shoulders of Giants
  • Sorrow Wood
  • Bad Games: A Novel (Bad Games Series, #1)
  • Inside Evil
  • Shoe Strings
  • Jake (California Dreamy, #1)
  • A Reason to Kill
  • Blood Of Others
  • Hide and Seek
  • Amanda's Eyes (A.J. Gregson)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thread for more information. This is the novelist (2x spaces), not the philosopher (1x space).

New York Times best-selling author John Locke is the international best-selling author of sixteen books in four different genres. He is the 8th author in history to have sold one million eBooks on Kindle. Loc
More about John Locke...
Saving Rachel (Donovan Creed, #3) Wish List (Donovan Creed, #5) Lethal People (Donovan Creed, #1) A Girl Like You (Donovan Creed, #6) Vegas Moon (Donovan Creed, #7)

“I’m confident with the possible exception of Texas, it’s illegal to use your employees for target practice.” 1 likes
“He’s six-three, and so skinny my mom would say there’s more meat on a butcher’s apron.” 1 likes