3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  2,521 ratings  ·  291 reviews
“I think something might have happened to me Saturday night. Something bad.”

Private Investigator Dani Ripper’s client list is nuttier than the Looney Tunes conga line, but she diligently solves one crazy case after another, waiting for a game-changer.

Enter Riley Freeman, 17-year-old honor student.

Saturday afternoon Riley quietly placed a little strawberry sticker on her pr...more
Published December 2nd 2012 by Telemachus Press

To ask other readers questions about Promise You Won't Tell?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promise You Won't Tell?

Cora Linn
This book was nothing like a thought it would be. But it was pretty great despite that.

And I loved that twist at the end, I didn't quite see that coming.

I like Dani and I'll probably read more of this series. She's smart and sexy and savvy, and so strong. I loved how she was so passionate about catching the bad guys, the predators. I wasn't sure about Riley at first, but by the end she was every bit as amazing as Dani.

Ethan was vile, absolutely vile. And he was meant to be. I'm just a little dis...more
Caitlin Caprigno
I got this book free from amazon, so I can't complain about money lost. I can't really complain about time being lost either since I kept turning the pages. I feel like the author didn't develop dialogue very well. The voices of ALL the characters sound the same. It was bothersome but I kept reading. Then the writing was deteriorating and I still continued because the storyline captivated me. As much as the writing was bothering me, a good story can hold me. However my bigesst complaint was with...more
Erica
Bev
I kept seeing this book being mentioned on lists. It was described as exciting and different. So I tried it.

The story is about a P.I. Dani Ripper who is asked to investigate a college girls story of sexual molestation. Dani as a former victim rushes in find the needed evidence.

Can I start by saying that this falls in the self published category. Which is not always a bad thing. The author sells loads of downloads and is obviously popular.

It was a load of utter tripe. Garbage that bordered on th...more
Jessica Brown
What a great book. I just got it because it was free...looked interesting. It was good, I laughed in places, mystery, suspense... I didn't even realize who the author was until I was done reading it and realized it was a guy. I could have sworned it was a 23 year old woman! Reminds me of Janet Evanovich's writing style. Light reading, perfect to relax to.
Jill
Feb 24, 2014 Jill rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
I did not like the writing style of this author. :-(
Michelle
Initially I thought I'd made a mistake in selecting this story to read but suck it out and actually ended up finding it somewhat engaging.

My intial problem was that we meet Dani Ripper, a PI, she was dealing with a potential client in a way I would describe as less then professional. It really through me off and she just seemed so juvenile in both her language and overall being. Granted she's basically like this throughout the story is does ease up and I've decided that the tramatic event she de...more
Syki
I don't even know

There were some good parts in this book, but for the most part I was left shaking my head.

I had to go back and re-read the synopsis after reading the first page of the first chapter. 64 pages in, and I was still wondering what the hell I was reading.

There really was no character depth. And what was revealed about the characters made me think "Seriously? You can't possibly..."

"Is this some sort of joke?" was said more than a few times by different people throughout the book, an...more
Lauren
Im just not sure how I feel about this book. It starts out interesting enough. This probably could have been a really good story if it had been written a little better.

I liked the mystery of everything but there was too much he-said-she-said going on. It got really confusing. The whole time you're questioning "did she get raped, molested - what?!?" or "Is Ethan lying? Maybe her friends were involved..." but this isn't a good thing like it would normally be in a gripping whodunit...

As much as I...more
Deianira
I couldn’t stop reading this book because I'm dying to know what really happened during that one night of partying/ teenage drinking. It’s like an episode of CSI, but with a big dose of Nancy Drew and more humor.

Dani Ripper is a smart, determined, and a stubborn detective and nothing would stop her from finding out the truth. Not even her shadowed past will faze her from doing her job. She reminds me of yet another gutsy detective Veronica Mars.

It all started when a teenage girl asked for her...more
Katie
I absolutely loved Dani's character. John Locke gave her such quick wit and humor, so fast with the comebacks, she is a great thinker on the run, and she always figures out her mystery....and this mystery was pretty twisted! There were twists and turns and i really enjoyed it.Great mystery book and John Locke is a great writer,loved his writing style and humor. I would definitely read another one of his books and recommend this one.
Lisa
While I kind of liked the character of Dani, she wasn't terribly fleshed out. She had the potential to be a likable character (I liked the voice the book was written in, because I did read it in less than a day), but her supporting cast wasn't really very interesting. I had an outright dislike for Riley by the end of the book, as well as her friends. Dillon and Fanny could have been interesting, but they were like NPCs. Just a little hint here and there, but not enough of a hint to make you want...more
BooksandBeyondFiftyShades

“I think something might have happened to me Saturday night. Something bad.” Private Investigator Dani Ripper’s client list is nuttier than the Looney Tunes, but she diligently solves one crazy case after another, waiting for a game-changer.

Saturday afternoon Riley Freeman, a 17 year old honor student, quietly placed a little strawberry sticker on her private area and pretended it was a tattoo, then she went to a slumber party. She didn’t tell anyone about the sticker, but after a slumber party...more
Janai
So you know when you read a book and you say to yourself after you finished a couple chapters ' Oh I know how this going to end.' Well foolishly that's what I said and I'm telling you an avid detail reader who prefers books over people did NOT see this ending coming straight from left field!
But

I loved it!

Dani Ripper is a private eye, or at least that's what she tells people who signs her checks.... more or less she's a glorified decoy. She sets people up or really...more
Toni
I really liked this book! Twists and turns right to the end. I loved the characters and felt Dani's anger about some events in this book. It was humorous at times, painful at times and I never figured it out! Loved it. Will definitely recommend to friends.
Rowena
A very easy read with pretty boring plot line untik a final twist. author had a bad habit of adding additional info re the characters which was useful e.g one was homosexual. Other than a chapter on it the info made no difference. Take it or leave it book...
Barry Lillie
I found this a little clunky at times and wasn't keen on the he said she said type of dialogue, in particular tagging dialogue with 'I say' or 'she says' before it happens as it slows the flow of the text down much more than a simple, ' said' or she said' after the dialogue.

At times it was obvious the book was written by a male writing as a female, just by the over-compensating of feminine emotions etc. The story is quite simple and by the time I was half way through I guessed the most of the de...more
Shadow
Hit and Miss

Reviewing this title is difficult. On one hand I think it's a solid enough read, but on the other hand, clearly not great. There's a lot that just doesn't work. I see potential in the writing, but this isn't that good on its own. There's good and bad. Here's a few of my takes.

Hit: It's funny. There are some seriously funny moments that made my LOL.
Miss: Those same moments and a lot of others made me say WTF? It's a weird humour that I get, but it's also a bit of that "this is so bad...more
Phoebe
I am very undecided on how to rate this book. I would go for anywhere between two and four stars. The first few chapters confused me a tad. It was a bit hard to follow. After getting to where Riley comes into Dani's office, the books starts to make more sense. The introduction seems very unrealistic and over dramatized. Dani's other case was a little out of the ordinary as well. The ending was good though. (view spoiler)...more
The Digital Ink  Spot
From the very beginning, John Locke delivers this story quick and precise. It is a rocket read from start to finish. Locke does a wonderful job of delivering a mystery and then slowly unfolding it to reveal the pearl of truth at the end. The character dialogue moves the story along and gives insight into each character's personality and motivation.
The main character, Dani Ripper's staff is a odd, wacky and unusually perfect for this line of work of private investigating. They are all fun to meet...more
Kellee
I've never read anything by this author. Actually, I've never heard of him. I needed a change of pace from the genre I normally read and even though I had numerous choices from other authors I love, I decided to give this a try.

I absolutely loved this book. Initially, Dani Ripper got on my nerves with her cocky attitude, but after getting to know more about her, I thought it was funny. The book has so many details that just when you think you know who did it, you get more info and that leaves y...more
Kathy Petrakis
Quirky and engaging! I finished it in a day! An interesting twist to a common tale though not completely unpredictable.

Loved the style and will read more of his books!
Sandra Lopez
Dani Ripper is a private investigator specializing mostly in catching marital cheaters and liars in the most unorthodox methods, like using soiled panties. Well, like she said, to be a P.I., “you must be…sensual, cute, adorable, cunning, clever, and so much more…[It] requires a computer, a car, and a reliable bladder.” (409)

Then Riley, a 17-year old girl, comes in, claiming she may have been molested at a slumber party. The case is on for Dani.

The whole thing was mostly written is a back-and-f...more
Lisa Mccarty
HAHAHA. This book.... it had me laughing so hard. I seriously enjoyed every moment of this book. I can honestly say I was about in tears from laughing. The characters are amazing, they all have very distinct personalities that you can't help but laugh at. The sarcasm Dani Ripper shows is just awesome. And the ending WOW, talk about a plot twist I did not see coming. This book is exciting a as well as very interesting. John Locke just earned himself a new fan because of this book. Do not hesitate...more
Barbie
Wow....This is not going to be a good review. I apologize now.

What's one word that sums this review on how the book is....

Horrible. ...The book is horrible.

I Honestly didn't get past the first four pages it's that bad.

First of all why are they talking as if they are little kids, seriously is she on a job interview and they're talking about killing. Who does that?

It's written poorly from what I could force myself to read. I do not see how this is a best seller or how the author is even a best sel...more
Diane
An entertaining quick read. Dani takes on a young client with a twist you kind of see coming on.
Babus Ahmed
I enjoyed this quirky thriller, but was a bit disappointed with the superficial characterisations in it. However, it was only a little predictable and very entertaining. Not exactly the most eloquent of legal thrillers, if it can be termed such without any courtroom time, but it has it's moments.

I'm always a little suspicious of men writing strong female characters and although I found Dani Ripper likeable enough, I did think she read more like a man in places. Still she was entertaining and I d...more
Pat Nestor
This is the equivalent of literary fast food. Very quick and light reading... fairly easy to digest... not quite as satisfying as you might think when you start. Not too bad of a story... had some interesting twists and kept me interested, but I pretty much figured out the big twist fairly early on and then started feeling like they were telegraphing it as the book went along. The main character is supposed to be this complex and deep woman but yet she seems to be the least developed character i...more
Carley
Jun 25, 2014 Carley rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
I don't really know what to make of it. I was a little annoyed to start reading this only for it to reference backstory I had no idea about. Turns out it's the second in a series which would've been nice to know beforehand. I found the MC to be kind of off-putting. Yet I got wrapped up in the story. I didn't see the plot twists coming either, which is always a plus. While the whole thing was quite unbelievable, it was still intriguing. I got this ebook free on Amazon and while I'm interested in...more
Theresa
The story and plot were intriguing, but I found the writing style to be...hmmm...interesting? At one point the author actually completely broke down the 4th wall and spoke directly to the reader. It was a little strange. I also felt that there were parts of the story that could have been given a little more attention. At times it felt more like a presentation of information almost like a listing of the facts, rather than the telling of a story. But I did find myself wanting to know the conclusio...more
YA Book Gang!!: Promise You Won't Tell? by John Loche/Starting July 1st 14 18 Jul 12, 2014 06:04PM
Goodreads Librari...: Combining Editions 3 24 May 24, 2013 01:54PM
  • Call Me
  • The Sixth Sense (Brier Hospital, #3)
  • Bad Games: A Novel (Bad Games Series, #1)
  • Deadly Stillwater (McRyan Mystery Series, #2)
  • Frozen Past
  • Chasing Justice (Piper Anderson, #1)
  • Rope Enough (The Romney and Marsh Files #1)
  • Dead Of Winter (Louis Kincaid, #2)
  • Rainy Nights
  • Invisible
  • 314
  • The Lies that Save Us (Broken Heart, #1)
  • Clouded Rainbow
  • Betting on Hope
  • Sea Sick
  • Superbia
  • Murder on the Mind (Jeff Resnick, #1)
  • Due Justice (Justice Series, #1)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thread for more information. This is the novelist (2x spaces), not the philosopher (1x space).

New York Times best-selling author John Locke is the international best-selling author of sixteen books in four different genres. He is the 8th author in history to have sold one million eBooks on Kindle. Loc...more
More about John Locke...
Saving Rachel (Donovan Creed, #3) Lethal People (Donovan Creed, #1) Wish List (Donovan Creed, #5) Lethal Experiment (Donovan Creed, #2) A Girl Like You (Donovan Creed, #6)

“I’m confident with the possible exception of Texas, it’s illegal to use your employees for target practice.” 1 likes
“Maybe so. But it helps our success rate.” “You’ve got proof in that file?” “Yes.” “May I see it?” 0 likes