Start by marking “Eyes of Lightning (The Thunderbird Legacy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Eyes of Lightning (The Thunderbird Legacy, #1)

Eyes of Lightning (The Thunderbird Legacy, #1)

After a thousand years of curses, the Thunderbird’s secrets are about to be unleashed in the charming town of Galena, Illinois.

Ivy is a normal fifteen-year-old girl . . . if you consider yellow eyes and storm-chasing urges normal. Life gets even more normal when she runs away from home to find Walter Nimiki, the grandfather she’s never met. It’s he who tells her the truth—
Published November 2012 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Eyes of Lightning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eyes of Lightning

Linda
Jul 05, 2014 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story started out strong. It is told through the eyes of fifteen year-old Ivy Nimiki. She is on a mission to find her grandfather who she believed, until recently, had died many years ago. The dialogue is realistic and genuine as Ivy’s plan is to find a way to her grandfather’s house and get back home before she is even missed at home. Needless to say that plan doesn't work out.

Walter Nimiki, her grandfather, is a member of the Thunder Clan. His family owned the sacred land around Nimiki Bl
Devri Walls
Dec 06, 2012 Devri Walls rated it it was amazing
Eyes of Lightening is the story of a girl with yellow eyes. She has been teased and left friendless because of them. Everything changes though when she discovers the grandfather she thought was dead, is very much alive. Leaving, she goes to find the truth about herself and unravel the strange story behind why her father has refused to touch her- not once in her entire life.

Eyes of Lightening has some wonderful Native American stories and legends woven through it, which were not only entertaining
Katrina Sutton
Dec 30, 2012 Katrina Sutton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads-won
*Good Reads Winner*
I am so excited to receive a free copy of Eyes of Lightning!
I can't wait until it arrives. :)

I fell in love with Eyes of Lightning and this kind of story reminds me of when I was a young teen where books were filled with original wholesome goodness without the smut and profanity that I sometimes find these days in young adult books. I find the writing to be well written, the story to be magical and the characters, delightfully enchanting. I look forward to the second book in t
Stephanie Anderson
Jan 11, 2013 Stephanie Anderson rated it it was amazing
I found this story to be very refreshing. There were so many thing that I loved about this book (not even sure where to start). I think the thing that drew me in the most what being able to relate to Ivy. Very well written. I am looking forward to reading many more books from Mrs. Horn.
M.J. Moores
Dec 12, 2013 M.J. Moores rated it it was amazing
Ivy Nimiki is a fifteen-year-old girl with strange yellow eyes and a hole in her past. Running away from home to find answers, she embraces the missing pieces of her life just as a family curse takes hold. Eyes of Lightning is the story of a young girl taking chances to fight for loved ones at a time when falling in love could mean death.

Horn’s ability to draw in a reader right from the first sentence carries on throughout the entire novel. Her dialogue and characterization bring you instantly i
Andrea
Dec 29, 2012 Andrea rated it it was amazing
My best fiction read of 2012!!!

I am a book snob with some classes in literary theory under her belt, so there are many books that I do not recommend or finish reading. This is not one of those books! I will admit there was one time that I thought, "That seemed forced." I think that was in the first third of the book because after that I was too hooked on the story and the characters.

There were multiple times I sighed and mentally tried to talk some sense into the main character. In my opinion i
Amanda
Apr 16, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-home-library
I found EOL to be captivating. The descriptive writing pulled me into the pages and allowed me to imagine Ivy's world with clarity. The Native American legends were so interesting and I found it to be a refreshing spin. I really enjoyed learning more about the Clan she descended from and the lore and tales that were passed from generation to generation. (I hope there is more to come in the 2nd book)

Ivy isn't your typical teenage girl, I might actually go as far as saying she is quite the opposit
Alisha Howard
Oct 18, 2013 Alisha Howard rated it it was amazing
First of all, I just have to say I loved the cover of this book! It's so powerful; I kept going back to the beginning to look at it. Excellent job, Erin!

Now, on to the book itself:

Eyes of Lightning is a wonderful read that breathes fresh breath into the Paranormal Romance genre. Honestly, any YA book that has me not only identifying with the characters, but also rooting from them from start to finish is a winner in my book. Eyes of Lightning has great relationships between the characters and jus
Brenda
Dec 22, 2012 Brenda rated it it was amazing
This was a fun read. I immediately liked Ivy's kick butt, I can take care of myself attitude. The book gave you closure at the end but also left you wanting to know more about the curse, Dan's past, will Jonas ever smile again, will Ivy be able to stop herself from falling in love with Gabe, will Gabe fall victim to the curse, is Ivy the new chief of the Thunderbird clan.... I can't wait to read more to find out!
I can't stop thinking about when Jonas touches Ivy for the first time in her entire
Elyssa Gooding
Jan 07, 2014 Elyssa Gooding rated it really liked it
The story of Ivy Nimiki is epic, yet still relatable. Horn's writing style expresses the feelings in a very authentic way for an adolescent. I felt invested in the characters. Each person was introduced in a natural way for the story. The pacing was great and I look forward to spending more time with Ivy, Cal, Gabe and Dan. I do wonder what is going to happen with one girl and three boys....will they give in to adolescent crushes?
Amber Kerkove
Aug 26, 2013 Amber Kerkove rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much. I literally consumed it. I don't usually read books that fast. I take my time, take in the ambiance. But I loved this book so much. I could relate to Ivy on a level that i haven't related to most characters. I felt for her. Her relationship with her dad was challenging, as it was with her friends. It had twists, action, and was so well written! Cannot wait until the next one!
Tara Beveroth
May 13, 2013 Tara Beveroth rated it it was amazing
As far as young adult books go I thought this book was fantastic. The book was engaging right from the very start and I did not want to put it down. Erin does a great job of interpreting nature's biodiversity and twisting that into the story's plot. The paranormal aspect was also captivating. I look forward to more of Erin's books!
InD'tale Magazine
Ivy Nimiki is not your typical teenage girl. She has a special connection to storms, and is able to control the weather at will.

Full review in March 2013 issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Jill
Dec 07, 2012 Jill rated it really liked it
I liked this book even though I usually don't read fantasy or YA. I could relate to the heroine of the story and thought the character development was good. I didn't want to stop reading it.
Carram90
Mar 01, 2013 Carram90 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen
This book sounds very interesting and is actually written by a local author to my area. She actually has her books in the bookstore that i work at and has come in for a book signing
Melanie
Jul 07, 2014 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rd-2013, read-in-2014
4*s
This is my first ever audio book and I found the experience quite strange. Whilst I was busy doing chores, I could listen to it fine but when I just sat still – my mind wandered. I’m not saying I didn’t like it – I did – I just feel that I didn’t take things in as much as I would have by reading the book myself and my mind wandering is not a good thing because it goes off subject and takes my thoughts elsewhere, in fact I felt like it was a massive ‘story time’ period.
I liked Ivy, I liked he
Randy Daugherty
Jul 25, 2016 Randy Daugherty rated it liked it
With eyes like an owl's Ivy is thought of as odd, along with the fact she loves storms. She runs away to meet the grandfather she never knew she had and learns of her ties to the Thunderbird Clan, and the curse her clan carries.
In Galena,IL she finds what she feels she has been missing, someone who cares. Her father never even touches her, though her mother died during childbirth her father Jonas's parent were all she knew until she found his secret stash one day.
Know she needs to hurry, an acci
Jan 10, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
I read this bc I know the author & Jamie had her aunt's copy at work & gave it to me to read. Nothing really happens until the very end, then lots of stuff then it's over.
Amber
Feb 27, 2014 Amber rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the book. However, I could have done without all the religious scriptures and talk of god.
Christina Finney
Christina Finney rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2015
Lily
Lily rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2014
Diana Crane
Diana Crane rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2015
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2013
Spooky Mulder
Spooky Mulder rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Ellie Ann
Ellie Ann rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2013
Anna Veltkamp
Anna Veltkamp rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2016
Brianna Barrera
Brianna Barrera rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2015
Larissa
Larissa rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2012
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2015
  • Harrow - Book 1
  • Shadowburbia
  • Children of Yden (Yden, #2)
  • Terminal Blend (Blend Trilogy #3)
  • Shrapnel
  • Violet (The Endwar Series, #1)
  • A Fairy's Guide to Disaster (Away From Whipplethorn, #1)
  • Wizard's Education (Apprentice to Master, #2)
  • The Protectors: A Blue History Novel
  • The Darkest Lie (Shaerealm, #1)
  • Seeker of Fate (Fate, #2)
  • Revival House
  • Last Summer
  • The Breed
  • A Kiss for Emily (The Emily Stokes Series, #1)
  • A Pain in the Tuchis (A Mrs. Kaplan Mystery #2)
  • Against the Reign (The Knight Heir, #1)
  • The Journals of Kara and Jason
Erin Keyser Horn has a zoology degree from Southern Illinois University-Carbondale and currently lives in Northwest Illinois with her husband and son. She did everything she could not to become a writer, trying such jobs as pig farmer, lab tech, biological field tech, vet assistant, yoga teacher, librarian, and more. But she couldn't stay away from the writing world. She's the author of three ...more
More about Erin Keyser Horn...