Start by marking “Biking Across America: My Coast-To-Coast Adventure and the People I Met Along the Way” as Want to Read:

After Paul Stutzman finished hiking the Appalachian Trail, he found himself longing for another challenge, another adventure. Trading his hiking boots for a bicycle, Paul set off to discover more of America. Starting at Neah Bay, Washington, and ending at Key West, Florida, Paul traversed the 5,000-mile distance between the two farthest points in the contiguous United ...more
Published May 15th 2013 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published May 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Biking Across America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biking Across America

Kaleb Phillips
Oct 24, 2015 Kaleb Phillips rated it did not like it
I wanted to love this book. I had been wanting to read it for quite some time, and had only recently found it at the library. It's something that I've always been interested in, going on a grand adventure, exploring little known places, with nothing but a bike and some gear. Sounds wonderful, doesn't it? Well, I wish the book had more focus on that, since that is, supposedly, what it was to be about. I wanted to read about a grand adventure, and of the people that he met along the way. Instead, ...more
Mathew
Aug 16, 2013 Mathew rated it really liked it
Travel memoirs are one of my favorite genres. Paul Stutzman, author of Hiking Through, has written another enjoyable one. His first explores his trip from Georgia to Maine on the Appalachian Trail after his wife passes away. He contemplates life, God, and the trail. It’s an excellent read. Some years after his northbound trip on the AT, he’s at it again. This time he’s biking 5,000 miles from Washington to Florida. In Washington, he writes,
Here at the northwestern tip of America, I had once agai
May 15, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
Title: BIKING ACROSS AMERICA
Author: Paul Stutzman
Publisher: Revell
May 2013
ISBN: 978-0800721787
Genre: Memoir

After Paul Stutzman finished hiking the entire Appalachian Trail, he found himself longing for another challenge. Trading his hiking boots for a bicycle, Paul set off to discover more of America.

Starting at Neah Bay, Washington, and ending at Key West, Florida, Paul traversed the five-thousand-mile distance be
Keith Whitfield
Jul 26, 2013 Keith Whitfield rated it liked it
I was unfamiliar with Paul Stutzman's book about hiking the Appalachian Trail prior to reading "Biking..." which had been recommended by a FB friend. I am a cyclist, riding several times per week on the back roads around my hometown. I have ridden across the State of Oklahoma twice--from Texas to Kansas--but a ride across the United States seems almost impossible. So I was anxious to read Stutzman's account.

I enjoyed the book, but like another reviewer, would have liked to see a map of his rout
Jessaka
Dec 07, 2016 Jessaka rated it did not like it
Shelves: adventure-true
People in this book who are not like the author are sometimes called “eccentrics” and said to be in "religions that do not believe in a hellfire", but we are warned, "Yes, there is a hell."

So basically this is not really a book about one man’s true adventure, although that comes into play. What it is, is a book on Christian values, views, a whole lot of preaching and praising God. God has helped this man through thick and thin, so it is also about blessings. We can all use blessings, but we all
Susan Smith
Jun 07, 2014 Susan Smith rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Perhaps it was because one day I'd like to take my own journey across the US by bike. Perhaps it was because the author rode through many towns and cities I've already ridden through. And, hey, we've both been to the Lizard Lips Cafe in KS. I really appreciated that in everything, Stutzman gives praise and glory to God. It was refreshing to read a travelogue that was also unabashedly sharing the gospel and the author's personal spiritual journey.
Kris Holland
Aug 16, 2013 Kris Holland rated it it was ok
Shelves: travelogues
This is a very religious book. I hadn't read reviews and didn't realize this, so I was expecting something different. Other than what I felt was an over-abundance of preaching, it was an interesting read about a guy who bikes cross country.
Sharon
Jul 06, 2016 Sharon rated it really liked it
What a FUN book. Having traveled many of those roads, you could envision his adventures. ALMOST made me want to follow in his footsteps.
Shea
Oct 05, 2016 Shea rated it really liked it
I found it inspiring to read about his experiences throughout what was a physically and mentally grueling and exhilarating adventure.
Victor Gentile
May 26, 2013 Victor Gentile rated it really liked it
Paul Stutzman in his new book, “Biking Across America” published by Revell shows us My Coast-to-Coast Adventure and the People I Met Along the Way .

From the Back Cover: Discover the heart of America on this life-changing, cross-country bike adventure

Starting at Neah Bay, Washington, and ending at Key Wes
Joe Krehbiel
Jul 01, 2016 Joe Krehbiel rated it did not like it
It's hard to hate a book about biking across the US, but this is probably the worst book I could imagine about the topic. The only reason I finished it was because it was so short and easy to read. The main problem I have with the author and his description of the ride that took him from the NW corner of Washington all the way to Key West, is his clear hypocrisy. He complains and makes snide remarks about "snobs", yet he has no problem staying in hotels and treating himself to steak dinners ...more
Josh
Jun 23, 2014 Josh rated it liked it
When I was in Damascus, VA a couple years ago, in the midst of an AT thru hike, I met a young woman from Minnesota who was biking across country. I was floored and completely intrigued by the notion of pedaling thousands of miles, admiring a lush America from atop a butt-burning bicycle seat. So naturally, Stutzman's book found it's way to my hands.

But not before devouring his first book, Hiking Thru, which was gifted to me upon completion of the AT in 2012. While I found HT's religious overton
James Ritchie
May 19, 2014 James Ritchie rated it really liked it
It's an interesting story. The author previously hiked the Appalachian Trail following the untimely death of his wife as a way to cast out the demons in his soul. His bicycle trip from the NW corner of Washington State to Key West Fla (5000 miles) does much the same for his memories of a childhood friend who lost his life while riding with the author after dark down a steep hill in the Ohio countryside. I enjoyed reading the book, but I will have to say it may be somewhat flat, i.e., lacking in ...more
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
May 23, 2013 Holly (2 Kids and Tired) rated it it was amazing
After reading Hiking Through, I was anxious for more of Paul Stutzman's adventures. This time, he biked nearly 5,000 miles across America, from the top of Washington to the bottom of Florida. He chronicles his journey and the people he met along the way. I enjoyed his descriptions of the landscape and countryside. Being most familiar with the San Francisco Bay Area, I really enjoyed that portion of his ride. I'd also love to see the Continental Divide after reading his description.

Shorter and no
Keith
Feb 29, 2016 Keith rated it really liked it
In his first book, Hiking Through: One Man's Journey to Peace and Freedom, Paul shared his struggle after losing his wife to cancer. He quit his job as a manager of a successful restaurant in Ohio Amish country (One that I have eaten at!) and took on the challenge of hiking the Appalachian Trail. He sought peace and a renewal of purpose. What he learned during that time changed his life.

Now, a couple of years later, he takes on another huge challenge...biking almost 5000 miles across the US fro
Wanda
Jul 15, 2013 Wanda rated it did not like it
Kept waiting for the book to get better. Having biked across the country I like to compare experiences. It's amazing this guy made it as he was totally unprepared and lacked common sense like not having sunglasses until Nevada, riding in the desert and middle of the country in the middle of summer. If he wanted to see America why did he ride at night so much and how unsafe is that. He did not take any basic precautions and then complained. He kept talking about being lonely then why did he do a ...more
Eric Reidsma
Oct 17, 2013 Eric Reidsma rated it really liked it
After enjoying Paul’s last book about Hiking the Appalachian trail I really looked forward to reading about his adventure of biking across the USA. I enjoy his writing style and can often relate to him though I can’t imagine not checking your tire pressure for the majority of the trip and the adventure was somewhat diminished when after a few days he sent his tent home and made the entire trip with hotels and restaurants. Still making the entire trip with no support was impressive. After being ...more
Krista
Jan 17, 2015 Krista rated it did not like it
I was excited to read about this bike journey, however the book was very disappointing. It was VERY religious and nearly every page included references to God, the afterlife and being saved including several sections with a page or two that read like a sermon. I don't have a problem with religion but this felt over the top and given its central theme to this book I felt tricked that there was no religious refer eve in the description or the authors bio. Beyond this, the writing was elementary ...more
Karen
Aug 20, 2016 Karen rated it liked it
"These dark, early morning rides were filled with loneliness, and the first rays of sunlight always lifted my spirit. As the first light of dawn sparkled on the red canyon walls, my mind drifted back to another time when I had traveled this road with my wife and family. Had I known then how drastically our lives would change, I would have savored every moment we had together. Instead, I had too often been so focused on goals that the journey sometimes became a distraction. Life is all about ...more
Kelvin
Dec 21, 2015 Kelvin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cycling-books
A surprisingly good cycling book. Paul doesn't really speak that much about tour-cycling. He stayed in hotels, ate in restaurants, his bike seemingly didn't breakdown and the rain appears not to fall on him. He spoke a lot about people, a lot about God and well a lot about God.

The book was very well written with good, simple and clean English. The story was also extremely well edited and presented. Well done Vicki Crumpton and Revell Books.

It was a good read and I would recommend it.
Jason Dailey
Dec 08, 2013 Jason Dailey rated it really liked it
Ive become a big fan of Paul's writing from his trip along the AT to this bike trip. Alot of the same themes resonate but its his simple writing style and ability to connect w/ some very different topics along the way that I like the most.

This is a good two wheel travel story with that same message of faith and hope.

Looking forward to his canoe trip jouney down the ol miss.
Jeffrey B Frey
Sep 21, 2015 Jeffrey B Frey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No coincidences

I read a lot of journal type books of hiking and biking adventures. Some are a pleasure to read others are a burden. I chose this book based on the one star reviews denigrating the author for his Christian perspective. As a Christian myself I had to know his story.
Dewayne Stark
May 25, 2016 Dewayne Stark rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the bike ride part and the interesting characters he met along the way. Way too much WWJD for me. Amazing 5000 miles and only one flat. The cost of motel rooms would be drive me out of the poor house. I pick up loose change along the roadside (plus discarded phones and car keys) but I don't store them on my panniers.
Andrea Mudd
Jun 01, 2014 Andrea Mudd rated it liked it
Travel essays/memoirs re one of my favorite genres. I enjoyed this one but wished for more stops- more stories from the road. As a Catholic, his preaching didn't bother me but I did skim parts of it. It got a bit excessive t times. I'm glad for him if this helped him find peace after his wife's death. I would like to read his book on hiking the AT.
Ed Lake
Jun 25, 2015 Ed Lake rated it liked it
It was an interesting concept. I felt like I didn't really get to know the author enough though. What I did learn about him I thought was great, but I finished the book not really feeling like I got a real good sense of who he really was and why he wanted to take this ride.
T.
Feb 02, 2015 T. rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, I enjoyed all his stories of the people he met and the things he saw on his journey. He has a way of writing that makes the reader feel like they are biking along with him. Highly recommend this book
Paulcbry
Jun 09, 2015 Paulcbry rated it really liked it
A committed Christian takes a nearly 5000 mile bike ride across America and writes about it. He does not hit you over the head with his Christian faith but it's there. An enjoyable and very easy read.
Myra L Rice
Paul's bike across America

Interesting adventure! I was especially interested in the people he met along the way! I read his book about his Appalachian Trail hike and enjoyed both.
Joan Arning
Sep 15, 2015 Joan Arning rated it really liked it
Biking Across America is an interesting tale of Paul Stutzman's five thousand mile ride from Washington to Florida. I liked Paul's sense of humor and his acknowledgement of how God led him to meet people along the way. I enjoyed the book very much.
Ronnie Cramer
Jul 27, 2015 Ronnie Cramer rated it liked it
A man loses his wife to cancer and begins to re-examine his life. He hikes the Appalachian Trail and cooks up yet another challenge: a solo bicycle trip across America. I enjoyed reading the book and "making the trip with him" after the fact.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • A Thriver's Journey My Father's (and My Own) Holocaust Chronicle
  • Dogging Steinbeck: How I Went in Search of John Steinbeck's America, Found My Own America, and Exposed the Truth about 'Travels with Charley'
  • In Pursuit of Alaska: An Anthology of Travelers' Tales, 1879-1909
  • I Woke Up In China
  • Jesus Is Better than You Imagined
  • The Heart of the Antarctic: The Farthest South Expedition 1907-1909
  • Nathan Bedford Forrest: A Biography
  • A Walk for Sunshine: A 2,160 Mile Expedition for Charity on the Appalachian Trail
Author Resume
Marital Status... widowed
Education.. High School
Church affiliation.. Mennonite
Family..Three children, four grandchildren
Occupation...Retired from restaurant management.
Previous published articles...none. This is my first attempt.
Previous writing.. Blog about my hike on www.trailjournals.com/apostle It ha
More about Paul V. Stutzman...

“What holds this community together is what holds any home, church, or community together—love and acceptance. The only true source of love comes from God. When we honor God, we will also honor our families and communities. Any nation that rejects God will fall into disarray.” 0 likes