Start by marking “Zombies: A Record of the Year of Infection: Field Notes by Dr. Robert Twombly” as Want to Read:
Zombies: A Record of the Year of Infection: Field Notes by Dr. Robert Twombly

Zombies: A Record of the Year of Infection: Field Notes by Dr. Robert Twombly

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  1,759 Ratings  ·  126 Reviews
The year is 2011, and what starts as a pervasive and inexplicable illness ends up as a zombie infestation that devastates the world's population. Taking the form of a biologist's illustrated journal found in the aftermath of the attack, this pulse-pounding, suspenseful tale of zombie apocalypse follows the narrator as he flees from city to countryside and heads north to Ca ...more
Published September 26th 2012 by Chronicle Books (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Zombies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zombies

Brendan
Jul 27, 2010 Brendan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jenny came home last week with a new zombie book for me. She said she considered it the "me" equivalent of flowers. Isn't that nice? Zombies is crafted as a journal that a scientist/birder keeps during his time trying to survive a food-additive-driven (perhaps) zombie outbreak. He has both narrative and sketches in the book, along with an involving tale. Some thoughts:

* It's a lovely book, with great zombie art and character sketches. The writing is crisp and economical, but tells the story wel
Lilyn G. (Scifi and Scary)
Zombies: A Record of the Year of Infection is a mix of brief journal entries and very detailed ink drawings.

The 'reason' for the detailed, comic-book like drawings is that the writer is also a birder. But, honestly, they don't really fit/feel real for what we're supposed to be reading. However, putting that aside and just looking at them - they are well done.

While it's a decent entry into the zombie genre, it doesn't really stand out in any appreciable way. It is easy to read - I actually read
Trin
Oct 19, 2009 Trin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story here is nothing much—Roff basically follows the rules of Max Brooks’ zombieverse, with the (admittedly creepy) addition of the infection initially arising from chemically enhanced food. The ending is annoyingly abrupt, especially as it denies the reader any information about how the rest of society survived, despite it being clear from the introduction that it did. The story is like a small zombie aperitif (brains on a cracker?) without any main course.

The art, however, is fantastic. I
Chibineko
Let's face it- while zombies are awesome, they can be a little overdone. Many movies & literature feature the same clichés & stereotypes of zombies, so it's nice that lately there are quite a few books & movies that are breaking the mold, so to speak.

`Zombies' is quite literally, a picture diary about zombies, written by one of the last human survivors- a doctor named Twombly who is "lucky" enough to have been in a relatively well enough stocked office/lab setting to last him a few
Matty
Nov 18, 2009 Matty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME!!! What a great graphic novel by Don Roff. I love the theme of using an "actual running journal with sketches" from a character right in the middle of infection. The illustrations by Chris Lane are the icing on the cake, perfectly depicting the gruesome outbreak.
Alexis Winning
Oct 19, 2011 Alexis Winning rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombies
Loved it! I think the idea of tainted food makes the most sense with the Zombie Apocalypse. Also loved the little Canada insert
Jay
Cameron
Nov 03, 2009 Cameron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Neat little journal-styled book, with illustrations every other page. Nothing groundbreaking or surprising in the terms of zombie stories, but it has some good artwork and a solid, satisfying story.

Compare to Gnomes.
Mark
Dec 19, 2009 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written narrative. Great illustrations. An engaging read. I finished it in one sitting.
Ryan Dwyer
The book I read was kind of an underground book. It is called Zombies, The Year of Infection, by Dr. Robert Twombly a.ka. Don Roff. This was a different type of a novel, instead of being a big story, it was a bunch of field notes about the end of the world with zombies destroying everyone and taking over. It was based in 2012; it was about a two month period of time. It was following the story of a doctor whose hospital got overrun by zombies and he had to flee in order to survive. He meets qui ...more
Tony
It's hard to imagine anyone picking up this book who isn't aware of the massive resurgence of zombies across pop culture the last few years. From film (28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, etc.). to fiction (Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, HIstory is Dead), to mock non-fiction (Zombie Survival Guide, World War Z), to comics (The Walking Dead, etc.) to video games (Zombie Apocalypse, etc.), zombies have become an unavoidable cross-platform genre. It seems like the only thing holding zom ...more
Peep (Pop! Pop!)
I actually enjoy reading Zombies. I thought the pictures were really well done. Whoever drew them knew what they were doing. Just think about it. There are zombies everywhere. There are zombies outside the door, and you still have the concentration to draw these pictures! Mine would've looked like a toddler drew them! On second thought, I wouldn't have been drawing at all. I'd have probably been in a corner crying.

Zombies (the book, not the people group) helped me to realize that as much as I l
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Okay, so I actually had never heard of this before and picked it up at random, because, hey, I love zombie stories. Anyway, turns out that this is actually an audiobook of a graphic novel. If your first reaction to that is "lol whut" then we're totally on the same page. I really never would have thought that a graphic novel would convert so well to a picture-less format, but they did a wonderful job with this, considering that I didn't figure that out until later.

There is so much zombie stuff ou
Scott
It's true . . . look at any other work of Zombie-ness in pop culture, and this will look like a blatant rip-off. The zombies are seen mindlessly returning to shoping centers (Dawn of the Dead), an evil corporation accidentally set of the pandemic (Resident Evil), even the road trip aspect was seen in last year's Zombieland, there's also a little World War Z thrown into the mix. It isn't filled with new, creative, or clever ideas.

However, Don Roff and artist Chris Lane, make the infection and jou
Jamianne Passero
Jan 16, 2010 Jamianne Passero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this book lacks any imagination, and stays true to the scenarios we have had tattooed on our brains for the last several decades; I kept on reading. This book isn't about modifying our perception of the fantasy Zombie world we have grown to love, it is about a normal man trying to survive the end of the world. There are no super human survivors who can do triple back flips and throw knives. He is just a guy; not much different from myself, trying to out run Zombies, and he happened to k ...more
Neil Grayson
Harrowing. Heartfelt. Honest. (Also, always avoid alliteration.)
This one sticks with me in my mind. The nightmarish world of "Zombies" is a simple one, which makes it that much easier to understand and let in. Straightforward, quick, and emotional despite the protagonist's seeming lack thereof, this book is highly recommended.
In addition, the illustrations are disgusting, beautiful and haunting. They infinitely add to the tension and feeling of this book.
Aleric Miracle
May 21, 2013 Aleric Miracle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book defines ZOMBIE.It is great but if you dont like horor movies like saw or other such movies this isnt for you. as if you were right next to the narater the whole time the way he describes stuff is just implausible like a few pages into the book and he breaks a hydrochloric acid bottle of his zombified friend and describes how the head and brains melt away as the acid eats at it. the realism in this book and the makeshift every thing is pure perfect.
Small Shop Blogger
I've never really been one for zombie stories, but A Record of the Year of Infection was well put together; a solid story combined with killer illustrations. Whether or not you're a sci fi/fantasy/horror geek or not, there's a good chance you'll enjoy the ride.
Morgue Anne
Sep 13, 2011 Morgue Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FANTASTIC read. A gruesome picture book for adults!
Michelle
Jan 07, 2010 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
LOVED this book. The handwriting and sketchings were top notch. Only wish there'd been more. Subtle humor throughout. Fabulous.
Jordan
Aug 25, 2010 Jordan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love some F*cking Zombies and I'm sure you do, you'll enjoy this little piece with totally awesome illustrations! super cool!
Jennifer Arney
Jun 02, 2011 Jennifer Arney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
written like it really happened, I always love convincing zombie tales. Loved It!!!!
Alyse LaFortune
Mar 26, 2010 Alyse LaFortune rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
great illustrations!
Chad
Sep 11, 2010 Chad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best coffee table book ever and set in Bellingham!
Chris Cagle
Jun 23, 2011 Chris Cagle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this book is very short and only took a little over an hour to read, it was still good. A nice scientific view of Zombies and how they become what they are. It's worth reading.
Chelsea
Nov 03, 2009 Chelsea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. The illustrations were amazing. The story was pretty much like every other Zombie book out there, but I still loved it anyway.
Heather
Good. But not as good as Zombie Haiku.
Holden Attradies
I have a lot of zombie lit favorites, and it would be pretty hard to choose a single favorite. But this book here is definitely in the running for the number one spot (probably tied with World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War)

The concept is great, basically a field guide to zombies. But, the genre being what it is, that kind of needed some narration being zombies would be, well, trying to eat the guide writer. So what we get is what starts out as a birding sketch book but then chronicles
S. K. Pentecost
Aug 11, 2015 S. K. Pentecost rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short epistolary work that was either written with the audiobook in mind, or cleverly tweaked just a little to make the audio format work more seamlessly. The first enhanced audio text I've heard done right. If you're jonesing for some Z, this is a quick sweet hit.

Behind this spoiler tag are merely personal notes I'm taking on the genre.
(view spoiler)
Sesana
Nov 15, 2012 Sesana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, zombies
Presented as the journal of a doctor (and amateur artist) kept throughout a zombie plague, this can be a pretty gory and unsettling book. As a good zombie book should be. The sheer (clinical) detail of the drawings may stretch credibility, but Roff really went the extra mile with the written journal entries. I'm used to reading journal-style books with lengthy dialog that nobody would ever really remember, and consistently perfect grammar. Not so here. There's little enough dialog, and most conv ...more
Movie Version 25 20 Jun 10, 2013 09:25PM
  • History is Dead: A Zombie Anthology
  • Zombies: A Field Guide to the Walking Dead
  • The Zen of Zombie: Better Living Through the Undead
  • Zombie CSU
  • The Mammoth Book of Zombies
  • Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse?
  • Dead Inside: Do Not Enter: Notes from the Zombie Apocalypse
  • Empire: A Zombie Novel
  • The Zombie Autopsies: Secret Notebooks from the Apocalypse
  • The War of the Worlds: H.G. Wells's Classic Plus Blood, Guts and Zombies
  • Eden
Don Roff is the author of over 14 books including–Scary Stories, Zombie Tales, Dragon Adventures, Werewolf Tales, and Zombies: A Record of the Year of Infection. His short story collection, the first in a series, Heebie-Jeebies: Volume One, contains six terrifying tales and is available as an eBook. He is a former U.S. Army Airborne Ranger. He is plant-powered.
Read more at www.donroff.com