Start by marking “Ghosts of Our Pasts” as Want to Read:
Ghosts of Our Pasts

Ghosts of Our Pasts

As a successful owner of a small gourmet food store in SoHo, Emily Martin's fierce independence is a brutal lesson learned as the result of a tragic loss in her youth. Engaged to marry the love of his life and on the cusp of a brilliant financial career, Will Darcy lost everything in a horrifying act of violence that still ripples through his life almost ten years later. B ...more
Published September 1st 2012 by Writer's Coffee Shop (first published December 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ghosts of Our Pasts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghosts of Our Pasts

Andrea (mrsaubergine)
Mar 03, 2015 Andrea (mrsaubergine) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-edits
When Emily becomes strangely attracted to the quiet, bearded man she sees in the park, little does she know they are inexplicably linked by one of the greatest tragedies of our time, and that they are both still consumed by it. Sophia Duane’s harrowing debut novel, Ghosts of Our Pasts, doesn’t explicitly state what the horrific event was—instead merely giving the reader clues throughout the first half of the book—but it is not too difficult to guess which shocking act killed her firefighter fath ...more
Tara
Jan 17, 2012 Tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book touched me in so many ways. I wouldn't have thought it possible to portray the emotions of a survivor of this tragedy without actually being there (trying to stay spoiler-free). Duane treats the sensitive subject with compassion and dignity. The reader understands why the characters are the way they are and desperately wants to help them throughout the book.

Emily and Will are still floundering ten years after a tragic event rocked their lives. While Emily seems to have it all together,
Stacy Mullinger
Nov 28, 2012 Stacy Mullinger rated it it was amazing
Another outstanding book by NK Smith. So emotional. Shocking on how much you can actually feel when reading this. Great job again :)
Bonnie (Words at Home Blog)
Review originally posted to Words at Home June 11, 2012: http://www.wordsathome.ca/2012/06/gho...

Ghosts of Our Pasts is an excruciatingly heartbreaking love story and an exploration of how one can begin to heal after a devastating loss. I wasn’t prepared when I started reading Ghosts of Our Pasts for the level of emotion that I was about to encounter, both from the characters and from what this novel stirred up in myself.

At first I really didn’t appreciate Will’s character. He was just too damag
Cliff Spurlock
Dec 30, 2014 Cliff Spurlock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amanda
Jan 05, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ghost of Our Past is a gripping story about love, acceptance, friendship, grief, loss, and about what you do after everything falls. Emily Martin is a young shop owner who has a fear of emotional relationships and looks for little bits of comfort in the arms of several different men. William Darcy is a florist who used to have it all.
These two worlds come crashing together in a twist of fate disguised as a business opportunity. Will lets Emily into his life and with that brings a fear he hasn't
DubaiReader
Apr 04, 2012 DubaiReader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lter, e-book, 2012
Beautifully written.

This author has an amazing ability to write about emotions - I was gripped by her style and drawn through the book, constantly in awe of her skill.

Two residents of New York, Emily, the owner of a gourmet food shop and Will, a florist, are united by Emily's suggestion that they join resources to offer food and flowers in one delivery. There is an instant attraction but both have ghosts in their pasts that must be overcome before they can move on.

In fact, not a lot happens. The
Bookish Temptations
This is a very moving and emotional book. At times I had to stop because of the event that drives the characters. It's well written and I believe this author has a great future ahead of her.
You can read my full review at Bookish Temptations: http://bookishtemptations.wordpress.c...
Sophie
4.5*
I didn't realise that this was about 9/11 when I picked it up. ... An Emotional and depressing read. Bittersweet.
Claire
Claire rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2012
Sunshiny Me
Sunshiny Me rated it it was amazing
lemon
lemon rated it did not like it
Jan 24, 2015
Tamie
Review and rating coming soon at Bookish Temptations.
Katy
Katy rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2013
Jessica Van
Jessica Van rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2013
Gwen
Jul 20, 2012 Gwen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not put this book down. I finished in one day. I was sorry when i finished.
Shazinca
Shazinca rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2012
Jamie
Jamie rated it it was ok
Sep 23, 2012
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2011
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2011
Darreth
Darreth marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2011
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2011
Jennie
Jennie marked it as to-read
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Annelies
Annelies marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2011
Djenii
Djenii marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2012
Risbee
Risbee marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2012
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2012
Laura marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2012
Gary
Gary marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2012
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2012
Autumn Review
Autumn Review marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2012
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2012
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2012
R. C.
R. C. marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2012
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2012
Rachel
Rachel added it
Apr 15, 2016
Kari
Kari marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2012
Yi
Yi added it
Apr 21, 2012
Laura Carson
Laura Carson marked it as to-read
May 08, 2012
B. Practical
B. Practical marked it as to-read
May 08, 2012
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2012
Monisha
Monisha marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2012
Jeanne
Jeanne marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2013
Natasha is a Book Junkie
Natasha is a Book Junkie marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2012
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2012
Sofie
Sofie marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2012
Based in the American Midwest, N.K. Smith is the author of the Old Wounds Series, Ghosts of Our Pasts, My Only, Are You Mine?, Hollywood Lies, and Hollywood Sins (available 7/2014).
An avid lover of history, art, music, books, and people, she is interested in telling stories that speak to the human condition.

FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/NKSmithAuthor