Start by marking “The Late Hector Kipling” as Want to Read:
The Late Hector Kipling

The Late Hector Kipling

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  305 ratings  ·  46 reviews

Hector Kipling is a famous artist. But Hector is not as famous as his best friend, Lenny Snook. And as they are standing in the Tate Gallery one afternoon, Hector's life begins to unravel. For a painter, this existential crisis is the place from which great art is born. If the painter happens to be a forty-three-year-old man with a girlfriend away from home, it is the reci
Published November 6th 2007 by Simon & Schuster (first published October 2nd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Late Hector Kipling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Late Hector Kipling

Matt
This book caught my intention when my wife pointed it out to me in an Oxfam shop. I was intrigued by the rather grotesque cover, and then intrigued a little more by the fact that it was written by David Thewlis, and then a little more intrigued by Billy Connolly praising the book in a blurb on the back. I probably would have passed if it wasn't so cheap, but I'm really glad I picked it up.

The Late Hector Kipling is one of the darkest, most hilarious books I've ever read. It quite simply will be
Devon
Feb 16, 2009 Devon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
This is the kind of book that you just can't keep to yourself. I found myself constantly looking for someone to share passages with. Some of it was just too funny to keep to myself and some of it was just too insightful....some of it was both. All of the characters are familiar enough to hit home and insane enough to be absurd.

Experiencing the novel through Hector's eyes, in first person, is really the best part of the whole thing. It gives the novel a very personal feeling. It's almost as if th
Rowan
In the interest of full disclosure, I confess that the reason this book caught my eye, and the reason I checked it out from the library in the first place, is that it was written by the actor who played Remus Lupin -- my favourite character -- in the Harry Potter movies. He brought such wonderful qualities to the character that I was curious to see how his creativity would play out on the printed page. I'll gladly give this book its props. It's an interesting story, and the style is excellent an ...more
Tiffany
David Thewlis was a writer before he was an actor. This shows, in his novel The Late Hector Kipling. Most authors want their narrators or main storyteller to be a hero, or at least someone you like or want to be. Not Thewlis. In the tradition of Catcher in the Rye, the narrator is a complete antagonist. He is someone you wouldn't want to know. This does not make the book unreadable, however, but perhaps even more so, as you really want him to come to his senses, but no, he is a selfish, self-ser ...more
Chloe
This is my most favourite book in the whole world.
Luscinnia
Ich fand es unheimlich zäh zu lesen.
Eigentlich dachte ich immer, mein Englisch wäre ok. Mit anderen englischen Büchern hatte ich jedenfalls noch nie so großartige Probleme. Aber dieses hier hat mich echt geschafft.
Zum einen lag das an den "Spezialwörtern" (wie z.B. unser deutscher "Edding". Das ist eigentlich die Marke und nicht der Stift selber, aber jeder weiß, was mit Edding gemeint ist; auch wenn der entsprechende Gegenstand nicht von dieser Firma / Marke sein sollte.) Aber die erklärten sic
Rowan MacBean
Well, that was ... weird. XD Which is to be expected, I think. Thewlis strikes me as a pretty weird guy so it makes sense that the story he felt the need to tell would be so bizarre. The summary's use of the word "surreal" hits the nail directly on the head, in my opinion, but because truth really is stranger than fiction so often, nothing that happens is truly unbelievable. It's perhaps a little unbelievable that it all happens to one guy, but even that...? Dude, some people just get shit on al ...more
Claire
This is brilliant. Thewlis' style of writing is fresh and unlike anything I have read. The story is very good. Hector Kipling is an artist, who, seemingly, is searching for the perfect type of sorrow.
No one in his family has died, and when his girlfriend Eleni's mother gets severley burnt in an accident, he is jealous that she gets to experience the kind of sadness that he has been wanting to feel. While back in her homeland of Crete, he begins an affair with an American poet called Rosa. Her s
Emily
Well, huh. This definitely was an interesting read. Strange is a word I'd use to describe the actual plot. Dead on is how I'd describe the narration (though I suppose it would be rather tongue in cheek of me to do so).

The voice of the work I'm in love with and hence, the star rating. There were parts I laughed out loud at, which is somewhat rare. But Mr. Thewlis definitely created a living breathing person in Hector Kipling, and to a varied extent, the other cast of characters.

I wasn't as enam
Shannon
Jun 13, 2010 Shannon rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People not looking for a happy ending, people looking for a real life story. people who enjoy art
My goodness, if this isn't one of the best stories I've ever read I'm not sure what is. The Late Hector Kipling follows the artist Hector Kipling as his life goes from perfection to destruction. Much more than a simple mid life crisis the downfall of Hector Kipling is orchestrated by himself and others until he has nothing left.

David Thewlis did an amazing job capturing characters, locations and plots, as well as the feeling and motivations behind everything. His prose is something to be celebr
Hanna
Quirky, contemporary, a dark, tongue-in-cheek look at the competitive world of high art. Good voice but the first person/present tense style wears thin after a while; its a strain to carry all the nuances of motive and action but such is the burden of the present tense. Enjoyed it the first time through, reads fairly quick once you get used to the style but it's not something I would idly re-read in a hurry. That said, it is merely the author's first novel and I will keep an eye out for any furt ...more
Erin O'Riordan
David Thewlis is a clever guy, and he knows a lot about the art world. I can imagine that this novel was written by the character he plays (briefly) in 'The Big Lebowski.' (But it's more fun to imagine this is a novel WRITTEN BY REMUS LUPIN.) The ending was a bit unexpected, but I suppose it's a statement about the irony of any artist calling another artist a thief, since creative theft is essentially the definition of art.

I hope David Thewlis writes more novels.
Margo
May 15, 2013 Margo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: indie
I loved this book. Who knew that David Thewlis could write better than he could act (and I think he is a fantastic actor). You can tell there is a lot of him in this, and some of the manic-ness of his character Johnny in Mike Leigh's Naked. But, besides that, this book is intense, and I like how it deals with the art world, putting it in a new and gritty light. The characterization is wonderful and after finishing I was stunned for days.
Teela
It took me forever to actually sit down and read, but once I did, I found myself trapped in the novel, managing to stop only once someone pried the book from my hands.

Though it is written in present tense, that fact didn't bother me as much as I had believed it would due to the fact David Thewlis (better known for his role as Remus Lupin in the Harry Potter movies) has a wonderful writing style that bewitched me.

Jackee
So many feelings. I love it; I absolutely did. The language was beautiful and Hector in his own screwed up way was beautiful, and I would pay so much more for a sequel. If only Thewlis would retire from acting just to write. It was dark and creepy and so effed up, but it was wonderful and original.
Angharad Cole
One of my top ten reads
I could not put it down. Was meant to last me a holiday abroad, but read a page or 2 as soon as I received it and couldn't put it down.
Helen
j.
This is a terrific book! David Thewlis is a wonderful writer and I found myself highlighting more lines that I usually do in books. Also, I really took my time reading this because I wanted to savour every page.
The story starts out fairly normal and becomes more and more absurd with the weirdest things happening. I would have never been able to think of even a few of these things. It took me a while to get into the humour but soon, I found myself laughing out loud at quite a few lines.
If David T
Andrea Arbit
Started this because author David Thewlis played creepy-looking Remus Lupin in the Harry Potter films, stayed because the voice was so delightfully British. Much like J.K. Rowling's Hagrid, I could just hear Hector Kipling's accent in my head as I read his narration.

And then there was the crazy built-up plot. Man. There were some great lines/commentary in this thing about life and art and death and self-imposed drama and be-careful-what-you-wish-for sentiment.

4.5 stars.
Jeff
This book is well written. So well written in fact that Thewlis can easily put you into a depressive mood in a few chapters. His main character, Hector Kipling, continually makes bad, bad choices. I have to admit I viewed his downward spiral with a voyueristic appeal, which in turn backfired on me and made me feel shitty. Thewlis has written a novel of self-realisation and mental psychosis that is quite affecting.
Kristin
Wow. This book was brilliant. It was refreshingly weird, and at times I laughed so much I had problems to read in public. Definitely a book I'm going to read again. It could be interesting to see what I make out of the book in a year or so.

I liked the first 3/4 best. Chapter 2 was my favourite. I'm not sure if I liked the ending (or even fully understood it), but I'm glad the book didn't have a happy ending. Poor Hector.
Pleione Pi
So, it's kind of a weird story - or Hector Kipling is weird, I don't know. But the story is so interesting and it is so well written. There's an amazing plot twist so you're just never bored. I really hope David Thewlis is going to write another book because he's good. He's really good. So, this is very interesting, very different from everything I've ever read but I sure don't regret reading it.
Rachel

This book probably deserves a higher rating, as the style is consistent, the use of language and perspective is excellent, and the humor is dark and easily appreciated. Unfortunately, the characters are not very likable and the pacing/plot seems off to me. I hope David Thewlis keeps writing; maybe short stories would serve him better.
Louise Brown
Feb 09, 2008 Louise Brown rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: art and death fans looking for light relief
Young puppyish Amis meets Jackie Collins in the world of art and death.

Entertaining and thought provoking but no revolutionary thoughts for anyone already embroiled in the world of art.

Pretty good for a debut; no writing that made me pull out my notepad like a Roth or a Kundera, but a rollicking old plot.
Garland Fielder
A good and fun read for any visual artist from the manic genius actor staring in "Naked". It reads like his performance in that great Mike Leigh film and you can't help but get caught up in his petty and rollicking universe. Still, the book suffers from length and the hi-jinx become a bit poky by the end.
Spiros
The great actor David Thewlis (Life Is Sweet, Naked, The Big Lebowski, et al.) ventures in to the world of fiction. I read the first couple of chapters, and found them to be well written, full of humor, and thoroughly unengaging. Can't wait to see you up on the bigscreen, big guy.
Luinalda
Well, this was... weird. o_O
I really wanted to like it. I really did, because I do like David as an actor. But... yeah, IDK. Just not my kind of thing, I guess. ;-) There were some good moments in the first half. And then it got more and more surreal and crazy...
Nicolai
Very funny read if you‘re into bitter comedies about mid life pseudo hipster types. Particularly impressing how Thewlis managed to make me sympathize with the protagonist who is basically a self-absorbed jerk. Gets a little over the top towards the end.
Karen
Only read it because it was David Thewlis. Don't quit your day job, Lupin. I don't think Simon and Schuster thought much of it either, since it was printed on the cheapest paper I've ever seen a major publishing house use in a hardcover.
Zachary
Interesting idea to write a book about a guy who, when given a decision always makes the wrong one and then just see where it ends up. I enjoyed the book, but I don't know if I would honestly recommend it to most people.
  • Transmetropolitan V. 1-10
  • Fly Trap (Fly By Night, #2)
  • I Wonder
  • The Simoqin Prophecies (GameWorld Trilogy, #1)
  • Spider
  • Selected Short Stories of Nathaniel Hawthorne
  • Never Mind The Goldbergs
  • In Hazard
  • Everyday People
David Thewlis (born David Wheeler; 20 March 1963) is an English actor of stage and screen, and the author of one novel, The Late Hector Kipling (2007).
More about David Thewlis...
The Miracle Maker: The Story of Jesus

“I want that. I want that awful intense and serious unhappiness, cos then I might feel better, and then I might be happy.” 26 likes
“I feel like I'm in a film about a struggling artist who keeps getting up at all hours of the night to look at his big, blank empty canvas. And in a way I am. Except that i'm not struggling. I'm Hector Kipling. I might be getting up at all hours of the night to look at my big, blank, empty canvas, but I am not fucking struggling.” 9 likes