Start by marking “The World of Tibetan Buddhism: An Overview of Its Philosophy and Practice” as Want to Read:
The World of Tibetan Buddhism: An Overview of Its Philosophy and Practice

The World of Tibetan Buddhism: An Overview of Its Philosophy and Practice

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  210 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
With characteristic humility, His Holiness the Dalai Lama begins this landmark survey of the entire Buddhist path by saying, "I think an overview of Tibetan Buddhism for the purpose of providing a comprehensive framework of the path may prove helpful in deepening your understanding and practice." In this book, the Dalai Lama delivers a presentation that is both concise and ...more
Published March 3rd 1995 by Wisdom Publications

To ask other readers questions about The World of Tibetan Buddhism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World of Tibetan Buddhism

Patricia
Imo a very good book to read if you don't know much about buddhism at all yet. Sometimes I needed to reread some sentences for them to make sense to me, though, which is a little embarrassing.. but well, I didn't know much when I started the book and repeatedly forgot two rather important words. (In my defense: I need to take some meds that kind of impair, you know, my brain. ;))

I also think the fact that the Dalai Lama doesn't try to convince anyone or "make someone" believe in what he says is
S.N. Arly
Sep 22, 2015 S.N. Arly rated it it was ok
Shelves: philosophy
Something (or several things) may have been lost in translation with this one.

The Dalai Lama's work tends to be pretty dense and can be quite the slog. That said, it usually contains some pretty interesting insight, even when I'm half lost. I feel bad giving this book 2 stars, but I had a lot of trouble with it, and gained so little from it.

Given the title, I was expecting an overview on Tibetan Buddhism, perhaps something of a summary explaining how it differs from other forms of Buddhism. You
Ben Pound
Dec 07, 2007 Ben Pound rated it really liked it
This is a great book if you are interested in Tibetan Buddhism and are looking for a good intro.
Kelsey
Nov 24, 2010 Kelsey rated it it was amazing
This was such a wonderful book. The Dalai Lama never fails to inspire and alter me.
Gerardo
Apr 19, 2016 Gerardo rated it it was amazing
(IN SPANISH BELOW)

"The World of Tibetan Buddhism", by His Holiness the XIV Dalai Lama, is a clear, concise overview of the whole Buddhist system of thought and practice. The text corresponds to Gueshe Thupten Jinpa's (Google him if you don't know who he is and his work) edited transcription of a series of talks His Holiness gave in London at the end of the eighties, so the tone and explanations which can be found here are precisely aimed at provided Westerners with a vantage point about the whol
Daniel Radu
Feb 21, 2014 Daniel Radu rated it liked it
A really interesting book on Tibetan Buddhism, however it can be a little overwhelming because of the large amount of new terms and concepts.
Silke Blumbach
A very difficult book. One has to be already very proficient in Tibetan Buddhism to understand it.
Riobhcah
Jun 15, 2015 Riobhcah rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
I have never come away from one of HH The Dalai Lama's books without being a better person for having read it and also without having an increase in the desire to help all sentient beings in whatever way I can. I'm not even halfway through this book as of yet and already I am noticing this. His writings are so very inspiring. I feel very blessed to live in a time when I can read his books and learn from his wonderful teachings.

This book goes into quite some depth on many of the fascinating teac
Diana
Dec 29, 2013 Diana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Gli ideali spiegati sono interessanti ma ho la netta sensazione che il Dalai Lama sia in continua contraddizione. Afferma un concetto e poi propone un esempio che smonta completamente quanto affermato prima. Parla della realtà vacua, del fatto che non dobbiamo dipendere dagli altri, dagli oggetti e poi parla degli stati del mondo dicendo che siamo interconnessi e che farsi guerra crea un maggiore sviluppo di armi. Non è abbattere l'affermazione iniziale? Illuminatemi!
Henry Park
Jun 21, 2008 Henry Park is currently reading it
I'm starting on my buddhist path. I don't suggest this book to get started on it. Its very detailed into the theology and teachings of Tibetan Buddhism and the differences between other Buddhist teachings. Very technical.
John
Oct 29, 2009 John rated it it was amazing
good overview esp if you have a dharma practice. might be overwhelming/confusing for someone unfamiliar with concepts. but if you're even remotely interested, don't sell yourself short. emptiness awaits.
Colleen
Jan 12, 2012 Colleen rated it it was amazing
Great book. Little deep at times but a great overview of Buddhism beliefs. Made me a little bit of a better person... while I was reading it that is.
Claudia Martinez
Dec 08, 2008 Claudia Martinez rated it liked it
It is a really good book but I agree it is very technical. Not for beginners.
Paul Grossman
Paul Grossman marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Charles Wade
Charles Wade marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
William Lion
William Lion marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Kristel
Kristel marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
Begüm Saçak
Begüm Saçak marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Thubten Tugje
Thubten Tugje marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Norbert
Norbert marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Didi Ong
Didi Ong marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Emily Dunn
Emily Dunn rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2016
Seth
Seth marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Kellie
Kellie marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
  • Buddhism for Beginners
  • Essential Tibetan Buddhism
  • Awakening the Buddhist Heart: Integrating Love, Meaning, and Connection into Every Part of Your Life
  • Buddhism for Dummies
  • Great Eastern Sun: The Wisdom of Shambhala
  • Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism
  • Dakini's Warm Breath: The Feminine Principle in Tibetan Buddhism
  • Introduction to Buddhism: An Explanation of the Buddhist Way of Life
  • Becoming Your Own Therapist
  • Turning the Mind Into an Ally
  • The Autobiography of a Tibetan Monk
  • Pure Heart, Enlightened Mind: the Zen journal & letters of Maura "Soshin" O'Halloran
  • How the Swans Came to the Lake
  • Mixing Minds: The Power of Relationship in Psychoanalysis and Buddhism
  • A Pebble for Your Pocket
  • Going on Being: Buddhism and the Way of Change
  • It's Easier Than You Think: The Buddhist Way to Happiness
  • The Story of Tibet: Conversations with the Dalai Lama
Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso (born Lhamo Döndrub), the 14th Dalai Lama, is a practicing member of the Gelug School of Tibetan Buddhism and is influential as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, the world's most famous Buddhist monk, and the leader of the exiled Tibetan government in India.

Tenzin Gyatso was the fifth of sixteen children born to a farming family. He was proclaimed the
More about Dalai Lama XIV...

“The basic foundation of the practice of morality is to refrain from ten unwholesome actions: three pertaining to the body, four pertaining to speech, and three pertaining to thought. The three physical non-virtues are: (1) killing: intentionally taking the life of a living being, whether a human being, an animal, or even an insect; (2) stealing: taking possession of another’s property without his or her consent, regardless of its value; and (3) sexual misconduct: committing adultery. The four verbal non-virtues are: (4) lying: deceiving others through spoken word or gesture; (5) divisiveness: creating dissension by causing those in agreement to disagree or those in disagreement to disagree further; (6) harsh speech: verbally abusing others; and (7) senseless speech: talking about foolish things motivated by desire and so forth. The three mental non-virtues are: (8) covetousness: desiring to possess something that belongs to someone else; (9) harmful intent: wishing to injure others, whether in a great or small way; and (10) wrong view: holding that such things as rebirth, the law of cause and effect, or the Three Jewels8 do not exist.” 1 likes
“11 OVERCOMING ANGER AND HATRED” 0 likes