Start by marking “The World of Tibetan Buddhism: An Overview of Its Philosophy and Practice” as Want to Read:
The World of Tibetan Buddhism: An Overview of Its Philosophy and Practice

The World of Tibetan Buddhism: An Overview of Its Philosophy and Practice

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  196 ratings  ·  12 reviews
With characteristic humility, His Holiness the Dalai Lama begins this landmark survey of the entire Buddhist path by saying, "I think an overview of Tibetan Buddhism for the purpose of providing a comprehensive framework of the path may prove helpful in deepening your understanding and practice." In this book, the Dalai Lama delivers a presentation that is both concise and ...more
Published March 3rd 1995 by Wisdom Publications

To ask other readers questions about The World of Tibetan Buddhism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World of Tibetan Buddhism

Imo a very good book to read if you don't know much about buddhism at all yet. Sometimes I needed to reread some sentences for them to make sense to me, though, which is a little embarrassing.. but well, I didn't know much when I started the book and repeatedly forgot two rather important words. (In my defense: I need to take some meds that kind of impair, you know, my brain. ;))

I also think the fact that the Dalai Lama doesn't try to convince anyone or "make someone" believe in what he says is
S.N. Arly
Something (or several things) may have been lost in translation with this one.

The Dalai Lama's work tends to be pretty dense and can be quite the slog. That said, it usually contains some pretty interesting insight, even when I'm half lost. I feel bad giving this book 2 stars, but I had a lot of trouble with it, and gained so little from it.

Given the title, I was expecting an overview on Tibetan Buddhism, perhaps something of a summary explaining how it differs from other forms of Buddhism. You
Ben Pound
This is a great book if you are interested in Tibetan Buddhism and are looking for a good intro.
This was such a wonderful book. The Dalai Lama never fails to inspire and alter me.
Daniel Radu
A really interesting book on Tibetan Buddhism, however it can be a little overwhelming because of the large amount of new terms and concepts.
Silke Blumbach
A very difficult book. One has to be already very proficient in Tibetan Buddhism to understand it.
Jun 15, 2015 Riobhcah rated it 5 of 5 stars
I have never come away from one of HH The Dalai Lama's books without being a better person for having read it and also without having an increase in the desire to help all sentient beings in whatever way I can. I'm not even halfway through this book as of yet and already I am noticing this. His writings are so very inspiring. I feel very blessed to live in a time when I can read his books and learn from his wonderful teachings.

This book goes into quite some depth on many of the fascinating teac
Gli ideali spiegati sono interessanti ma ho la netta sensazione che il Dalai Lama sia in continua contraddizione. Afferma un concetto e poi propone un esempio che smonta completamente quanto affermato prima. Parla della realtà vacua, del fatto che non dobbiamo dipendere dagli altri, dagli oggetti e poi parla degli stati del mondo dicendo che siamo interconnessi e che farsi guerra crea un maggiore sviluppo di armi. Non è abbattere l'affermazione iniziale? Illuminatemi!
Henry Park
Jun 21, 2008 Henry Park is currently reading it
I'm starting on my buddhist path. I don't suggest this book to get started on it. Its very detailed into the theology and teachings of Tibetan Buddhism and the differences between other Buddhist teachings. Very technical.
good overview esp if you have a dharma practice. might be overwhelming/confusing for someone unfamiliar with concepts. but if you're even remotely interested, don't sell yourself short. emptiness awaits.
Great book. Little deep at times but a great overview of Buddhism beliefs. Made me a little bit of a better person... while I was reading it that is.
Claudia Martinez
It is a really good book but I agree it is very technical. Not for beginners.
KC marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Evelyn P. Monroe
Evelyn P. Monroe is currently reading it
Nov 17, 2015
Debbie Speicher
Debbie Speicher marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Kevin Owen
Kevin Owen is currently reading it
Nov 10, 2015
Katie Filer
Katie Filer marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Groovykismet marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Maria marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Michael Maja
Michael Maja marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Desiree Wills Velazco
Desiree Wills Velazco marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Angelia marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Brooke marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Bri marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Jay marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
  • Buddhism for Beginners
  • Awakening the Buddhist Heart: Integrating Love, Meaning, and Connection into Every Part of Your Life
  • Essential Tibetan Buddhism
  • Introduction to Buddhism: An Explanation of the Buddhist Way of Life
  • How the Swans Came to the Lake
  • It's Easier Than You Think: The Buddhist Way to Happiness
  • Buddhism for Beginners
  • Pure Heart, Enlightened Mind: the Zen journal & letters of Maura "Soshin" O'Halloran
  • Becoming Your Own Therapist
  • Buddhism for Mothers of Young Children: Becoming a Mindful Parent
  • A Pebble for Your Pocket
  • Mixing Minds: The Power of Relationship in Psychoanalysis and Buddhism
  • The Diamond Sutra
Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso (born Lhamo Döndrub), the 14th Dalai Lama, is a practicing member of the Gelug School of Tibetan Buddhism and is influential as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, the world's most famous Buddhist monk, and the leader of the exiled Tibetan government in India.

Tenzin Gyatso was the fifth of sixteen children born to a farming family. He was proclaimed the
More about Dalai Lama XIV...

“The basic foundation of the practice of morality is to refrain from ten unwholesome actions: three pertaining to the body, four pertaining to speech, and three pertaining to thought. The three physical non-virtues are: (1) killing: intentionally taking the life of a living being, whether a human being, an animal, or even an insect; (2) stealing: taking possession of another’s property without his or her consent, regardless of its value; and (3) sexual misconduct: committing adultery. The four verbal non-virtues are: (4) lying: deceiving others through spoken word or gesture; (5) divisiveness: creating dissension by causing those in agreement to disagree or those in disagreement to disagree further; (6) harsh speech: verbally abusing others; and (7) senseless speech: talking about foolish things motivated by desire and so forth. The three mental non-virtues are: (8) covetousness: desiring to possess something that belongs to someone else; (9) harmful intent: wishing to injure others, whether in a great or small way; and (10) wrong view: holding that such things as rebirth, the law of cause and effect, or the Three Jewels8 do not exist.” 1 likes