Start by marking “The World of Tibetan Buddhism: An Overview of Its Philosophy and Practice” as Want to Read:
The World of Tibetan Buddhism: An Overview of Its Philosophy and Practice

The World of Tibetan Buddhism: An Overview of Its Philosophy and Practice

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  11 reviews
With characteristic humility, His Holiness the Dalai Lama begins this landmark survey of the entire Buddhist path by saying, "I think an overview of Tibetan Buddhism for the purpose of providing a comprehensive framework of the path may prove helpful in deepening your understanding and practice." In this book, the Dalai Lama delivers a presentation that is both concise and ...more
Published March 3rd 1995 by Wisdom Publications

To ask other readers questions about The World of Tibetan Buddhism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World of Tibetan Buddhism

Patricia BookExhibitionism
Imo a very good book to read if you don't know much about buddhism at all yet. Sometimes I needed to reread some sentences for them to make sense to me, though, which is a little embarrassing.. but well, I didn't know much when I started the book and repeatedly forgot two rather important words.

I also think the fact that the Dalai Lama doesn't try to convince anyone or "make someone" believe in what he says is what made me like this book. He doesn't force his opinions on the reader, he explains
Ben Pound
This is a great book if you are interested in Tibetan Buddhism and are looking for a good intro.
Kelsey
This was such a wonderful book. The Dalai Lama never fails to inspire and alter me.
Daniel Radu
A really interesting book on Tibetan Buddhism, however it can be a little overwhelming because of the large amount of new terms and concepts.
Silke Blumbach
A very difficult book. One has to be already very proficient in Tibetan Buddhism to understand it.
Riobhcah
I have never come away from one of HH The Dalai Lama's books without being a better person for having read it and also without having an increase in the desire to help all sentient beings in whatever way I can. I'm not even halfway through this book as of yet and already I am noticing this. His writings are so very inspiring. I feel very blessed to live in a time when I can read his books and learn from his wonderful teachings.

This book goes into quite some depth on many of the fascinating teac
Savannah Mascardi
Gli ideali spiegati sono interessanti ma ho la netta sensazione che il Dalai Lama sia in continua contraddizione. Afferma un concetto e poi propone un esempio che smonta completamente quanto affermato prima. Parla della realtà vacua, del fatto che non dobbiamo dipendere dagli altri, dagli oggetti e poi parla degli stati del mondo dicendo che siamo interconnessi e che farsi guerra crea un maggiore sviluppo di armi. Non è abbattere l'affermazione iniziale? Illuminatemi!
Henry Park
Jun 21, 2008 Henry Park is currently reading it
I'm starting on my buddhist path. I don't suggest this book to get started on it. Its very detailed into the theology and teachings of Tibetan Buddhism and the differences between other Buddhist teachings. Very technical.
John
good overview esp if you have a dharma practice. might be overwhelming/confusing for someone unfamiliar with concepts. but if you're even remotely interested, don't sell yourself short. emptiness awaits.
Colleen
Great book. Little deep at times but a great overview of Buddhism beliefs. Made me a little bit of a better person... while I was reading it that is.
Claudia Martinez
It is a really good book but I agree it is very technical. Not for beginners.
Maria Noah
Maria Noah marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Mirela Radanovic
Mirela Radanovic marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Cassie
Cassie marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Charlie Cocks
Charlie Cocks is currently reading it
Apr 01, 2015
Loring Palmer
Loring Palmer marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Alfred
Alfred marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Randi
Randi is currently reading it
Feb 28, 2015
  • Buddhism for Beginners
  • Awakening the Buddhist Heart: Integrating Love, Meaning, and Connection into Every Part of Your Life
  • Dakini's Warm Breath: The Feminine Principle in Tibetan Buddhism
  • Going on Being: Buddhism and the Way of Change
  • The Diamond Sutra
  • It's Easier Than You Think: The Buddhist Way to Happiness
  • A Pebble for Your Pocket
  • Pure Heart, Enlightened Mind: the Zen journal & letters of Maura "Soshin" O'Halloran
  • Dakini Power: Twelve Extraordinary Women Shaping the Transmission of Tibetan Buddhism in the West
  • Buddhism for Beginners
Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso (born Lhamo Döndrub), the 14th Dalai Lama, is a practicing member of the Gelug School of Tibetan Buddhism and is influential as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, the world's most famous Buddhist monk, and the leader of the exiled Tibetan government in India.

Tenzin Gyatso was the fifth of sixteen children born to a farming family. He was proclaimed the
More about Dalai Lama XIV...
The Art of Happiness An Open Heart: Practicing Compassion in Everyday Life The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality How to Practice: The Way to a Meaningful Life Freedom in Exile: The Autobiography of the Dalai Lama

“11 OVERCOMING ANGER AND HATRED” 0 likes
“The basic foundation of the practice of morality is to refrain from ten unwholesome actions: three pertaining to the body, four pertaining to speech, and three pertaining to thought. The three physical non-virtues are: (1) killing: intentionally taking the life of a living being, whether a human being, an animal, or even an insect; (2) stealing: taking possession of another’s property without his or her consent, regardless of its value; and (3) sexual misconduct: committing adultery. The four verbal non-virtues are: (4) lying: deceiving others through spoken word or gesture; (5) divisiveness: creating dissension by causing those in agreement to disagree or those in disagreement to disagree further; (6) harsh speech: verbally abusing others; and (7) senseless speech: talking about foolish things motivated by desire and so forth. The three mental non-virtues are: (8) covetousness: desiring to possess something that belongs to someone else; (9) harmful intent: wishing to injure others, whether in a great or small way; and (10) wrong view: holding that such things as rebirth, the law of cause and effect, or the Three Jewels8 do not exist.” 0 likes