Start by marking “Backyard Winter Gardening: Vegetables Fresh and Simple, in Any Climate, Without Artificial Heat or Electricity - The Way It's Been Done for 2,000 Years” as Want to Read:

Without fresh, all-natural winter gardening in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries people would have starved to death. The good news is that feeding your family fresh food from your own backyard garden all winter long is far easier and less time-consuming than you might imagine. And you won’t find better-tasting food at any price!
Published April 9th 2013 by Cedar Fort

To ask other readers questions about Backyard Winter Gardening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Backyard Winter Gardening

Shelly
Dec 29, 2013 Shelly rated it it was ok
This book should be titled "Winter Gardening on Acreage" as many of the suggestions are not possible for those with small lots and no vat of fresh manure from their farm animals. I can not dig huge pits in my small yard and fill them with manure to make hot beds unless I used up my whole yard and got cited for having farm animals. I don't have space for a huge greenhouse, but I CAN wait to pull up all my carrots and/or put coverings on things I can be growing in my current garden space. There ar ...more
Chrissy Peterson
Mar 20, 2017 Chrissy Peterson rated it really liked it
I am a total novice with gardening so I am trying to learn by osmosis (reading as much as i can) and sometimes books are too geared to the expert for me to grasp what they are saying without looking up certain, in the know, terms on google. I thought this book was well done and informative. I loved that most of the book is about individual plants and their needs for these types of winter gardening. It was very easy to understand and I loved that it was set up like a teaching manual for us beginn ...more
Kristina Seleshanko
Feb 14, 2015 Kristina Seleshanko rated it it was amazing
If you've never harvested and grown vegetables in winter before, this book is for you. The author focuses on the tried and true methods of winter gardening - mostly cold frames and hot beds. He explains a simple, inexpensive way to build them. He offers the names of seed varieties best suited to winter gardening. He explains how to store certain veggies in the ground or in a cool location, like a garage or cellar. He even explains his geothermal greenhouse, something I've not seen elsewhere. To ...more
Anita
Apr 24, 2013 Anita rated it really liked it
An excellent book for those of us that think 6 months of gardening is just not enough. He lists lots of varieties that do well in the cold, information on how to build cold-frames and hot beds, and is a local gardener for me so his information is relevant. A few things would have made the book better. He has lots of illustrations, captions would have been great. He gives lots of information, but a chart, a graphic organizer, a calendar, a listing of exactly what could go directly outside would m ...more
Alison
Apr 14, 2015 Alison rated it it was amazing
I'm a garden book nerd. I'll admit it. So I've read lots about gardening, but this is the first that I've read that has delved into Winter growing specifically. I found loads of practical information in this book, and I only live on a quarter acre lot. The author gives plenty of options and shares what has and has not worked for him in his years of experience. I particularly like that he gives recommendations for which varieties of open pollinated seeds are the most winter hardy. I'm planning o ...more
Amanda
Feb 01, 2014 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I might have to admit I'm a little obsessed with Caleb's books right now. I have learned so much from them and can't wait to try so many things. I even attended his greenhouse gardening class and hearing him in person makes his books even better. He has a way of saying things bluntly, yet at the same time disarming, and peppered with lots of humor. My poor husband now has to attempt to temper my enthusiasm for growing all of our food this winter.
Lindsay
Mar 11, 2014 Lindsay rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2014
This author outlines simple ways to extend vegetables into the winter as well as store vegetables. He outlines good seed varieties and teaches how to use hotbeds and coldframes, and even a basic geothermal greenhouse. Lots of useful tips for keeping veggies, like hanging tomatoes by the vine in the garage for them to ripen over winter. I can't wait to try a simple and inexpensive coldframe for keeping lettuce a bit longer into winter!
Stephanie
Oct 08, 2013 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
One of the things that I have always loved about this author’s books is how easy they are to understand. I know nothing about gardening. I have never had a green thumb but with these books I start to understand plants and how they work. I see ways that I can grow as gardener and someone interested in nature. I love purchasing this author’s books because I always learn something new. On a different note, the pictures are just amazing.
Sheryl
Nov 30, 2013 Sheryl rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
We didn't cover anything in the garden this year, and were able to harvest carrots, kohlrabi, and turnips for Thanksgiving...in Wisconsin! I can't wait to try some of Caleb's ideas for extending the harvesting season even longer. Now...if only I had a backhoe so I could build myself a geothermal greenhouse. I'm going to the library website next, to reserve "The Forgotten Skills of Self-sufficiency Used By the Mormon Pioneers."
Megan
Jun 25, 2016 Megan rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, gardening
I read Eliot Coleman's "The Winter Harvest Handbook" before this, and found that it had more technical details on sunlight, temperatures, etc -- along with nifty graphs and data. Warnock's book was somewhat of a lighter read, but I'm still glad I read it. The two books cover somewhat different techniques, and I feel like I've gotten a well-rounded look at winter gardening now.
Serity
Dec 02, 2013 Serity rated it it was amazing
Checked it out from the library, but this is definitely one I want to buy. I built my own hoop house today and am planting some winter lettuce this afternoon (Dec 2), in Utah!! Excited to be able to grow my own food year round! I really appreciated his recommendations for which seeds to try.
Feb 06, 2017 Laura rated it liked it
3.5
I would have given it a higher rating if I was able the try the advice but I live in a more temperate region.
Mark
May 29, 2016 Mark rated it it was amazing
Caleb is what I want to become! I can't wait to use the methods in this book t become more self reliant.
Lori
Feb 06, 2013 Lori rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book, but wish it had more tried and true practices in it. But time will tell.
Katlyn
Nov 18, 2013 Katlyn rated it really liked it
I love the ideas... It was hard to find manure to try the hot beds but we did make a cold frame that has worked really well. Most interested in the early starts, which I haven't tried yet.
Charlotte
Oct 08, 2016 Charlotte rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
I love this! I've always wondered how people lived off only the food they could grow and I'm always interested in knowing more. We are going to try winter gardening this year.
Alisa Kester
Brilliant. I'm trying a lot of his techniques next winter.
Aug 16, 2013 Laura rated it it was ok
Beautiful photography. Not as much information as I would've thought. Very basic.
Marcia
Apr 03, 2016 Marcia rated it liked it
Focuses on self-sustainability and gardening through a historical perspective. Introduces the use of cold frames, hot beds and (very briefly) geothermal greenhouses.
Joseph
Jun 19, 2013 Joseph rated it really liked it
some very good advice for planting a winter garden. it's geared towards those who live in very cold climes, though.
Carol Torres
Carol Torres rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2015
Kathi Jenness
Kathi Jenness rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2014
Allison
Allison rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2015
Beth P
Beth P rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Sarah Schnute
Sarah Schnute rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2015
Dianna
Dianna rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2013
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2014
Malenksha
Malenksha rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2015