Start by marking “Getting Started as a Freelance Writer” as Want to Read:
Getting Started as a Freelance Writer

Getting Started as a Freelance Writer

This book shows you how to start, run, and build a freelance writing business, doing whatever type of writing you prefer. The book is useful to writers, at every stage of their career.
Published December 1st 2005 by Sentient Publications

To ask other readers questions about Getting Started as a Freelance Writer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Started as a Freelance Writer

Tori
May 31, 2010 Tori rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
What arrogance. I think he gave some great ideas on beginning a freelance career. However, I became exhausted from constantly hearing about how much money he makes and that he has an army of assistants that cater to his every whim. Good for you, buddy. Now get off of the soapbox. This book should have been entitled, "Getting Started as a Freelance Writer and then becoming pretentious."

Kathy
Aug 16, 2012 Kathy rated it liked it
This was the updated edition (I think!), but it wasn't very up-to-date. To even question whether you need a computer as a writer seems, well, silly. I got a bit tired of the emphasis on making money ('course, maybe that's because I still have a day job!). Some good info, and a quick read.
Frank Barrett
Apr 30, 2014 Frank Barrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished Robert Bly's Getting Started As a Freelance Writer. This is another must have for people interested in writing both for profit and for fun. Not only are there tips for getting published, but there are also tips for writing, staying on task, managing funds and staying passionate about writing. It's a great read that will stay on my short list of go to books for writing. My copy is now dog-eared, pages tagged, phrases and passages highlighted, and has been to six states. If you are ...more
Sue Bridehead (A Pseudonym)
There's some contradictory info offered in here, so be aware that you'll have to pick and choose your wisdom from what's offered. But mostly extremely helpful. I culled a list of 25 actionable tips from this book.
Monique
Aug 21, 2012 Monique rated it liked it
This book has some great general information on getting published and making money writing. The focus on money-making didn't really appeal to me personally, but the author is clearly an expert in this aspect of writing. At times I was annoyed with the repetition of information and examplars. It felt as though the author took his own advice of recycling his material into different articles and then putting them together to repackage and sell, in this case without a ton of regard for overall effec ...more
Debbie
Oct 14, 2015 Debbie rated it did not like it
It wasn't very helpful to me because it was mostly about the author. What little advice there was given was vague. The book was mostly about how the author was a millionaire and how much he liked to pay other people to do things he didn't want to do. It was like reading one long business card for the author.
Beth
Sep 28, 2014 Beth rated it it was ok
While the author covers the basics of getting started in freelance writing, he also comes across as very smug about how much money he makes and how volunteering and other pursuits are a waste of time. I found this off-putting and not inspirational.
Amanda Ball
Aug 17, 2014 Amanda Ball rated it liked it
This book is full of useful tips and equally full of what comes across as a sales pitch. But I'm not even sure what he's selling. Regardless, it's definitely a worthwhile and informative read for beginners.
Kay Mcgriff
Aug 01, 2014 Kay Mcgriff rated it really liked it
I learned much from this one, and am still learning thanks to the resources shared in the end. There is solid information on both the writing and business aspects of freelance writing.
Reepacheep
Feb 13, 2012 Reepacheep rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing-editing
I tremendously enjoyed reading this book. I am starting a new career as a copy editor/proofreader, but have an interest in related fields—writing, in this case. I originally started reading this book more for the "freelance" aspect than the "writer" aspect; however, this book opened my eyes to a much wider variety of professional writing opportunities than I had previously considered. The information is presented in a well organized manner and written in a way that is enjoyable to read. It is a ...more
Tyra
Oct 24, 2010 Tyra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This little book was quite a surprise. I have read several "how-to" books on writing and the authors seem to talk all around the "how-to" part, giving the reader mostly bull to wade through. No so with Getting Started as a Freelance Writer. The author was generous in his secrets to success, giving easy-to-follow tips, websites, and resources. If you're wanting to give up your day job to become a writer, I would recommend this book.
Rachel Giesel
Apr 30, 2011 Rachel Giesel rated it it was amazing
This book has endless information. I will be frequently referring to it and consider it a valuable resource for my freelance writing career. It thoroughly covers many important aspects of freelance writing and being an independent freelancer, as well as marketing strategies and how to write other pieces such as novels, essays and poems. Definitely recommended for those interested in starting a freelance writing business.
Amber Ziegler
May 17, 2009 Amber Ziegler rated it really liked it
Robert Bly's book was a great first freelance writing book for me to read. Although he's a very serious writer who writes mostly for very business-y clients, he covers all the basics of freelance writing. Anyone wanting to learn more about freelance writing should start with this book and then supplement their knowledge with an additional book or two on the topic.
Marie Willis
Aug 06, 2014 Marie Willis rated it did not like it
Wow, does this guy like to ramble on about his assets. I really don't get why some authors feel the need to spend half the book boasting about themselves. If this were an autobiography, maybe I'd have been interested. However, this was supposed to be about freelancing. One star only because I'm required to give it. Really should be .5.
N.L. Riviezzo
A fairly useless book. The author spent most of the pages 'tooting his own horn' and bragging about his successes. Good for you but meaning to those who are trying to start out in the business. There are a few useful bits of information here but they are quite buried under Bly's ego.
Blane
Jul 12, 2016 Blane rated it it was amazing
Excellent helps and guidelines in to the freelance life. Lots of personal insights from Mr. Bly, and also contains a host of reference sources to help any writer.
Nicole
Jul 19, 2011 Nicole rated it did not like it
Shelves: writing, 2011
This was more about Bly bragging about how much money he makes freelance writing than actually giving any advice on how to get started.
Jenn
Oct 12, 2009 Jenn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: help-on-the-job
Extremely helpful and informative. The first "guide" to actually inspire me to try harder. Not a bad beach read as well :-)
James Geddes
Oct 14, 2013 James Geddes rated it it was amazing
I found so much practical advice on getting up and running as a freelance writer in this read.
Feistymonkey
Dec 03, 2010 Feistymonkey rated it it was ok
2/3rds shameless self promotion and bragging about his income, 1/3rd useful information.
Jeri
Nov 11, 2008 Jeri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
read it...had some good info...not as easy to read as Get a Freelance Life
K D
Sep 16, 2009 K D rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Useful, lots of encouragement, but in the end one is on their own.
Diane Parkin
Feb 23, 2012 Diane Parkin marked it as to-read
I have the updated version of this.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Judy Bell
Judy Bell rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Todd
Todd is currently reading it
Aug 10, 2016
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Brenda Moffitt
Brenda Moffitt marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016