Start by marking “Dining With The Doctor: The Unauthorized Whovian Cookbook” as Want to Read:
Dining With The Doctor: The Unauthorized Whovian Cookbook

Dining With The Doctor: The Unauthorized Whovian Cookbook

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  431 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Hello, sweetie.

Your taste buds are about to take a wibbly wobbly, timey wimey adventure through the Doctor Who reboot. Megafan and food writer Chris-Rachael Oseland spent a year rewatching all of series one through six and experimenting in her kitchen to bring you a fresh recipe for every single episode.

This book is a treat for any Whovian who wants to offer more than a pl
Published December 1st 2012

To ask other readers questions about Dining With The Doctor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dining With The Doctor

Hilary
May 19, 2013 Hilary rated it really liked it
If you're looking for a nutritious, everyday cookbook this is not the book for you. If you've never watched an episode of Doctor Who, especially since the Ninth Doctor (Christopher Eccleston), you will probably find this confusing and pointless, especially the section on fish fingers and custard (real and mock).

If, however, you've watched up to the 6th new season (to avoid spoilers), you have access to a kitchen (whatever your level of skill) and you'd like something with a Doctor Who theme for
Brittany Constable
Feb 04, 2013 Brittany Constable rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, ebook
I confess that I haven't tried any of the recipes in here yet. Though to be honest, there aren't a lot of "recipes," strictly speaking; while each episode does indeed have an entry, many of them are simply directions for edible decorations. Most of what I bookmarked are cocktails. (The Kindle version does not have a table of contents, which makes navigation a little frustrating.)

It's a pretty good read, though. She tends to go back to the well on a few specific jokes a little too often, but she'
M Crocker
Jun 24, 2015 M Crocker rated it it was ok
Typically I am not one to read cook books, I’ll glean the internet for a few recipes and that is about the extent of things but when I was told that this was a free book, I figured why not go ahead and downloaded it. I honestly wanted to see the Fish Fingers and Custard recipe which I sadly didn’t get to read until the end. Yet I’m glad I waded through all the recipes to get there, even if the Fish Fingers and Custard recipe section was the most boring.

The book takes every episode of Doctor Who
Jessica Harmon
Feb 12, 2014 Jessica Harmon rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
The recipes in this book written in an entertaining story-like style suitable for reading without even attempting to make them. But making them is fun too. There is a variety of drink, snack, dessert, and main course dishes. There is a list of at least 6 fish fingers and custard recipes of varying sweet/savory persuasions. If you're planning any kind of geeky themed party, this book can provide inspiration for several recipes. I was a bit disappointed in the prevalence of the "use this prepackag ...more
Rea K
Jun 17, 2015 Rea K marked it as cookbooks  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wiscat
Completely a novelty cookbook. Haven't cooked anything out of it, doubtful that I will. Why? A) Alcohol. B) Not nearly as patient as this person. C) Some of this stuff not only looks ridiculous, but it sounds weird. D) Not artistic with food.
I just read a recipe and I had to set the book down. She cooked meat and jammed it into a sandwich and let the sandwich sit out for six hours. I passed my ServSafe test... four hours is the limit that we let things sit at room temp. *shudders* Yucky. I sure
Wild-Rogue-Rose
Well, that was a . . . charming read. I use that lightly - my disappointment oozes like I'm a rejected Howl .

The format of the book I take extreme aggravation over. It's poorly done, slapped together hurriedly, and just plain irritating! It's just a big ball of . . . stuff!
Now, that is not to say some of the recipes presented are not noteworthy and fun. If your children are fans - go forth and get your hands doughy.
Alas, if you are like me - you probably attempt these after a few rounds of 'Doct
Soup
Cute and funny cookbook. Most of the recipes are very easy (in fact several barely qualify as 'recipes') but more photos would have been useful. As someone with limited interest in cooking I appreciated that most of the text was jokes or reflections on episodes rather than straight forward cooking advice, although several recipes would admittedly be difficult to follow without first copying the instructions sans commentary and sidebars. More accomplished chefs might also be put off by the novice ...more
Kim
Feb 17, 2014 Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This cookbook has a few really solid recipes (such as Jammie Dodgers; so good), but the formatting of the recipes is a little hard to follow. Oseland intersperses the directions with jokes and anecdotes, and while entertaining, it's not conducive to actually following the directions. There are a few errors and missed instructions.

Still, if you look at this book as a guideline for creating a Doctor Who themed menu with some recipes, rather than an actual cookbook, you're better off.
Meghan
Feb 06, 2013 Meghan rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
I enjoyed this book, but then I've sat down and read cookbooks since I was 9 years old. So many people miss out on all that a cookbook has to offer because they think its just a collection of recipes, when in fact so many of them are so much more.

Great humor and the writing was not half bad.

Just one problem - I wish the author would have included a picture with every recipe so you'd have a complete understanding of what they had in mind for the finished product.

Also, being that I don't drink,
Roger Royer
Aug 21, 2014 Roger Royer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: It is a cookbook for scifi fans
Recommended to Roger by: Got it as a gift from Heidi
Shelves: sci-fi, cookbook
This is a very cute cookbook and looks like tons of fun. I will be making some of these as soon as I get the materials needed. I wish though that there where some more diabetic friendly recipes in the book but other than that I can see nothing but fun.
Abigail
Feb 28, 2015 Abigail rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
this was funny, there's a good mix of healthy and non healthy recipes but still fun to try. love cookbooks based on my fav franchise :D
Nell TheBookGoddess
Dec 07, 2014 Nell TheBookGoddess rated it really liked it
I thought this sounded really cool! My only problem is a lot of the recipes require alochol which I can't consume because I'm a minor.
Zoë
Aug 15, 2014 Zoë rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Most of it is lazy cooking and some of it looks quite disgusting. I'd hold onto the drink recipes, but not much else.
Vivian
Feb 24, 2015 Vivian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: craft-cook-books
A labor of love and fan enthusiasm.
Party fare.
Would probably find better stuff via Pinterest.
David Megyesi
Nov 28, 2014 David Megyesi rated it liked it
Fun facts and good ideas for Doctor Who themed food.
Lady Belinda
Jan 19, 2013 Lady Belinda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook, doctor-who
This cookbook was great. I have found that I really enjoy the cookbooks that are based on a television series or movie. This one was not a disappointment. Some of the recipes are a little weird but some look really interesting and tasty. I particularly look forward to trying many of the cocktails that are included. I may even try to whip up the Tardis Wellington...Overall it was a very interesting read. I even dared to read the section based on the 6th season (which I haven't seen yet) and didn' ...more
Chris
Mar 14, 2014 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A fun little cookery book.
Chantel
Jul 22, 2013 Chantel rated it did not like it
HUGE Doctor Who fan, but this book was disappointing. Most of the recipes aren't so much recipes, but how to make food look like some of the characters. The only thing I found interesting was a small few of the drinks and the custard. It also looks like something typed up in Word and then unprofessional pictures added. Nothing fancy or appealing. Bought it on Amazon. When I got it, I looked through it and immediately wanted to return it. Amazon gave me my money back and let me keep the book.
Krista McCracken
Oct 28, 2013 Krista McCracken rated it really liked it
A fun mixture of recipes, edible decorations, and drinks. All of which are Doctor Who themed. There is an entry for each episode and author tends to make something which relates to the plot or characters in the episode. Some spoilers if you haven't watched up to Season Six. A number of the more creative and decorative recipes have photographs -- which is helpful when you're attempting to construct a dalek using food that would have been available during WWII rations.
Thetravelingpanda
Dec 05, 2013 Thetravelingpanda rated it liked it
It was really fun to read especially when you know about the Doctor weird cravings in food! Especially with 11th in the first episode with Amy Pond. I did not try all of them because some are really weird especially mixing tastes that technically are not fitting together. So far the ones I tried were simple but I doubt all of them are... I really enjoyed the reference to the series within the recipes that was really fun and made me laugh out loud (literally) in my kitchen.
Lofty
Jan 27, 2013 Lofty rated it it was amazing
A very creative recipe book with beautifully presented food and drinks ideas for episodes of Doctor Who. Each recipe is inspired by the episode it is dedicated to and offers a lovely idea for feeding guests to a Doctor Who party.

I only wish I could print out individual pages to make them quicker to find as shuffling through my kindle to find them is slow.
Christina
Dec 21, 2014 Christina rated it really liked it
This was fun... I mean, half of it is an instruction book on how to carve daleks out of the weirdest materials you can find in your kitchen (and bathroom), and there's just a little too much food coloring involved everywhere, but the actual recipes actually sound pretty good. And I do enjoy the writing - so many puns, so little time :-)
Ellen
Mar 11, 2013 Ellen rated it really liked it
I can't vouch for this as a cookbook - the only recipe we tried involved bananas and Nutella, can hardly go wrong with that. However, as a read the book was funny, clever, and insightful (much like The Doctor). I got it as a free Kindle download, but if you are a Whovian it's definitely worth a few bucks.
Duckpondwithoutducks
Jan 13, 2013 Duckpondwithoutducks rated it really liked it
This cookbook has a recipe for every episode of the new series of Doctor Who seasons 1-6. They are quite inventive, and as with the author's Steampunk Cocktails cookbook, is full of biting humour. Most of the recipes have pictures, but not all. Now, I have been inspired to have a Doctor Who dinner party!
Lisa
Mar 27, 2013 Lisa rated it liked it
Although I doubt I will try any of the recipes, I did enjoy reading this book. It was a lot of fun to read the anecdotes relating the food items to specific episodes. The recipes themselves would provide wonderful ideas for any "Who" themed party.
Drianne
Dec 31, 2013 Drianne rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, humor
Very cute. I'll have to see whether I try any of the recipes, but I enjoyed reading through it.
Indigo Wayworth
Jan 07, 2014 Indigo Wayworth rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Really cute! Very well done.
Melissa
May 15, 2013 Melissa rated it it was amazing
This book is full of clever recipes for specific episodes, everything from drinks to entrees to desserts. You could create a full menu for a Doctor Who viewing party with this book.
Tessie
Wonderful cookbook! I had so much fun just reading this and can't wait to try out the recipes! A must have for any Whovian.
J. Duck
Dec 31, 2015 J. Duck rated it it was amazing
The DeVry Chips with Krylotaine Oil are our favorite
  • Dalek I Loved You
  • Baking Basics and Beyond: Learn These Simple Techniques and Bake Like a Pro
  • Circle Of Friends 25 Breakfast & Brunch Recipes
  • The Jane Austen Cookbook
  • Taste of Home Fast Fixes with Mixes New Edition: 314 Delicious No-Fuss Recipes
  • 100 Easy Recipes in Jars
  • Lidia's Favorite Recipes: 100 Foolproof Italian Dishes, from Basic Sauces to Irresistible Entrees
  • Pizza Pie in the Sky: A Complete Guide to Pizza
  • 30 Delicious Ice Cream Recipes
  • Slow Cooker 101: Master the Slow Cooker with 101 Great Recipes
  • The Slow Cooker Cookbook: 87 Easy, Healthy, and Delicious Recipes for Slow Cooked Meals
  • History Lover's Cookbook