Start by marking “Called to Mate (Pack Mates, #1)” as Want to Read:
Called to Mate (Pack Mates, #1)

Called to Mate (Pack Mates #1)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  906 ratings  ·  96 reviews
Declan’s chance to be the alpha of his pack has finally come, but in order to take over he needs to find a mate. Finding the gorgeous and fragile Quinn living in his parents’ home, his body heats for no other.

Quinn is a submissive male wolf who has spent most of his life abused by his former alpha. But being mated to his new pack’s alpha provides him with a level of safety
Published December 3rd 2012 by Liquid Silver Books

To ask other readers questions about Called to Mate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Called to Mate

Finding Zach by Rowan SpeedwellBetween Sinners and Saints by Marie SextonTouch Me Gently by J.R. LovelessZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleShades of Gray by Brooke McKinley
Best Gay Romance with Abused/Traumatized Characters
124th out of 434 books — 564 voters
Among the Living by Jordan Castillo PriceWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyWith Caution by J.L. LangleyCamp Hell by Jordan Castillo PriceChange of Heart by Mary Calmes
Best Gay Paranormals
218th out of 751 books — 634 voters

More lists with this book...

Cravings pretty much rule my world. I had a Pringle craving that monopolized my taste buds for weeks once! My food cravings can be all consuming. Nothing tastes good until I get what I want. The same can be said for my book cravings.

I’m lusting after shifter tales like you wouldn’t believe right now! Which brings me to Lynn Tyler’s Called to Mate with Declan and Quinn.

Declan has been living away from home and his pack for years. Waiting for the call to return and take over as alpha. But to lead,
Carissa
Look...not once in the history of cliched love stories has it ever been beneficial, in the end, to keep a secret from the dude you love. Especially when that secret is that someone is actively trying to kill him. Ignorance is not safety.

Now that doesn't excuse Quinn from acting like a child and crawling out of the bathroom window...for reasons I never quite understand, but at least he didn't purposefully run off into danger. He ran off into danger, but because Declan insisted on treating Quinn l
Gigi
This one just didn't do it for me. MC dominate wolf was highly inappropriate with MC submissive wolf far too early for my comfort level. Submissive's abuse history was already known too. It was kinda creepy.
oceankitty
1.75 stars really.

Niggles? Tons of them. I've never spotted so many contradictions in a story before and that's saying something when it's so short. I'm almost tempted to make a list, because the author couldn't seem to make up her mind about anything! But why should I spend my time over a book that did nothing but irritate me? The idea was good, the intentions were good. The execution was dismal to say the least.

At least I got to exercise my language while I read because I sat there yelling: Wh
Beck
This book had a lot of potential but I found it to shallow for true satisfaction. I loved the fact that insta-love (a common theme in shifter romances) wasn't employed & that the characters spent time together before declaring 'Twu Lurv'...to make this book great, (possible spoiler's ahead)I would have loved to read more about Quinn's time in his birth pack...why was Quinn's mother killed?...why was the alpha's behaviour so aberant?...why did Joseph leave the mobile phone for Quinn?...Then I ...more
Serena Yates
This is a cute "strong werewolf finds formerly abused mate" story. Based on this first volume, the 'Pack Mates' series - set in Smooth Rock Falls - promises to be fun and entertaining with just the right level of suspense and action thrown in to keep it interesting. There weren’t any difficult new “paranormal rules” to learn, and I suspect that, like me, you will find much that is familiar about werewolves and their packs in this book. A “werewolf comfort read”, if you want, and that could be ju ...more
Candice
Read on 12-18-13

I liked this, I really did. BUT, I had a few problems with it.

Declan is called home because his father is going to step down from his Alpha status to become an Elder. So, Declan is next in line for the Alpha role and has trained his whole life to be one. When he gets home he finds a young man on his parents couch sleeping. He can see the man is troubled even in his sleep, but he can't stop himself from covering him up. When the man wakes up his first words are "please don't hurt
DaisyGirl
3.5 Stars

Good start to an intriguing series. I loved Declan and I grew to love Quinn. The pack and pack politics were interesting as well. My one gripe: (view spoiler)

Bottom line: Good start to a promising series. Moving on to book 2!
Hc Lynn
I liked it! I thought the treating as a kind and considerate human being should be treated and caring for a less member was a good mix with how to treat and care for one's mate. Ok that sounds better in my head but hopefully the gist is coming through. Declan is able to connect with Quinn where others weren't and in doing so, strengthen both of them.
Shannon
Cute story about a severely abused submissive wolf and the new alpha of the pack. This shifter book didn't have the "I know you're my mate by your smell and I must have you" thing it in and I found I missed that. I like it when they have their "true mate" and soppy stuff like that. Good start to a series that I'll probably continue.
Charly
Not any different than every other werewolf story in this genre

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 4/10

PROS:
- The hurt/comfort storyline never gets old for me. I love it when someone has been hurt and his new lover goes to great lengths to ensure that it doesn’t happen again.
- I liked that the other wolves in Declan’s pack take it completely in stride when Declan announces that his mate is male.

CONS:
- The love at first sight thing, particularly in were
Sophia
It was quick, hot and moderately engaging. Development was minimal though it was easy to get the idea. I felt dropped into the middle of a story that just took off from there. I did love the tender care of the alpha hero and the connectedness of the pack. Not bad, but I was left not really focused on the story or engaged with the romance. Good lazy afternoon reading.
Arthur

Ah, it was quite okay until the main character committed a TSTL action. (view spoiler) I cannot stand characters that commits stupid acts than endangers
Lorraine Lesar
I don't often give low rating stars, if I don't like a book, I just don't write a review, put it down to experience and move on. However, this booked raised some major issues for me and I have to vent my frustrations. I obviously liked the blurb of the book, I wouldn't have read it otherwise and it held great promise. However, when dealing with a very delicate subject of horrific abuse, the authors answer was simply - get the new alpha to give the brutalised submissive wolf a "hand job", take hi ...more
Jess

This book was both good and slightly boring.

I really enjoyed the authors style of writing and the characterisation. The cuteness of the characters and the shifter relations were awesome.

However the big let down was how the alpha kept things from his mate. OMG this is soooooo overdone in plots and it makes me feel like the alpha thought his mate was a 5 yr old. It was a huge let down to read such an overused plot device.

The bad guy was also a bit lame, the author could have done more wi
~SexyBookWorm~
This book was aiight...I had a couple problems with the basic plot. Quinn says that his cousin was one of his abusers but later the cousin says he never touched him and actually gave him the cell phone that he used to call for help. The whole " cousin as the villain" thing REALLY didn't work. And his whole capture was very anticlimactic.
Also in the end Declan decided to gift Quinn with a collar. ... why? ! so now they are both wearing adjustable collars. Why! ? Neither of them have exhibited an
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Pretty weak offering. The characters were limp and the story was dull.
Phaney
May 27, 2015 Phaney rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
Definitely a hurt/comfort kind of story, which generally I enjoy. However, in this case I was disconcerted right away by the fact that Quinn is not given any choices at all, sexually and otherwise. The author keeps stressing that Quinn literally is incapable of denying anything to a more dominant wolf, and thus any whispered “okay” bears no significance. (Not that his sudden bantering and rebelliousness later on works any better.)

That’s not the only issue I have with this. It seems strange how m
Alma Pagan
They say that a constant drip can wear down a solid porcelain enamel until it is no longer beautiful and strong. So can abuse and if this abuse is constant and layered in it's complexity beating on you like a relentless drum. Spewing violence and hate slathered over your body,mind and spirit, sinking deep even if you reject it. Helplessly you see and feel how deep and long-lasting your true self has been lost; as if you were walking on egg-shells 24/7; trying hard to be invisible. Yet they still ...more
Linda Jaejoong
Nachdem ich die Inhaltsangabe gelesen hatte, war ich schon sehr gespannt auf Declans und Quinns Geschichte. Leider konnte die Autorin mich mit ihrer Geschichte nicht wirklich überzeugen. Ich fand sie hat es sich oft zu einfach gemacht und die Handlung ist einfach viel zu schnell voran geschritten. Es war mal wieder zu viel Ideen auf zu wenig Seiten.

Ich mochte Declan und Quinn wirklich sehr, sie waren so toll zusammen, aber ich finde sie sind viel zu schnell zusammen gekommen. Quinn wurde von se
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Fluffy I liked the start of this one but somewhere along the lines it became a bit too cliched and predictable for me. Not that I didn't like it but it lost the uniqueness that it started with. It's more fluff than anything and I still liked the world so I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
Shirley
I’m still not exactly sure how I feel about Called to Mate. I think that my biggest issue with it is that everything just happened way too fast. I suppose we’ll chalk this one up to the dreaded ‘Novella Curse.’ I’ve fallen victim to it before, but I keep picking them up. It’s just that sometimes novellas work and sometimes they don’t. *sigh*

Even so, Called to Mate still had a great premise and the characters were good too. I liked Declan’s parents and his pack mates (most of them anyway.) I also
TracyGee
I enjoyed this book.... Called to Mate is book 1 in the Pack Mates series.

Quinn tore my heart out. He had been abused for years, he is a submissive male wolf, different in colouring than other wolves. He is relocated to another pack after he reports his alpha to the council.
Declan comes to home to the pack he grew up in, he is taking over as Alpha when his dad steps down. He see's the half starved Quinn asleep in front of the fire and falls in lust with him.

There is much more to this shifter boo
Marsha Spence
I really enjoyed this book. The development of the relationship was very well done and how the pack interacted was great. Excellent read!
Blanca
This was a good story but a little weak. Easy reading. I liked the two main characters, Declan and Quinn, although I feel I did not get enough of a description to fully feel a closeness. The characters just were a little hallow.

If you like shape-shifters this would be a book for you. I am starting to enjoy the males shifting into wolves. In this story there was not enough of it and failed to give a really good description of the shifting to wolves and back to human form.

I am glad it was a short
Brooke
I loved this! It's a little short but a very good read for those who love m-m romance!
Lioness7
This was such a sweet book about a submissive wolf that has been abused since his pack found out he was submissive. He is scared of other wolves and has a hard time trusting. Then he meets the soon to be alpha from the pack that rescues him. This changes his life.

I really liked the characters and storyline for this book. It was touching watching Quinn come out of his shell and start to fall in love. Declan was the perfect wolf for him. A really great couple. I am looking forward to reading the r
Beth is also on Leafmarks
a sweet read but nothing new here.

It is mentioned that Quinn is abused but except in a nightmare we don't actually experience it. There is enough information that I felt sorry for Quinn but no real horror or emotional connection due to the torture.

Declan is to good to be true. Seriously, even in a paranormal fiction read I couldn't accept anyone being this nice.

The romance is sweet, some sexy loving and nice secondary characters.

It uncomplicated and I'll continue the series but overall I have
The Backlot Gay B...: Called to Mate by Lynn Tyler 2 12 May 05, 2013 02:23AM
  • On Thin Ice (Ariel Estates #1)
  • Soul Magic (Triad, #3)
  • Russian Prey (Assassin/Shifter, #8)
  • Lords of Aether Volume One
  • Levi (Leopard's Spots, #1)
  • An Intrepid Trip to Love (A Little Bite of Love #1)
  • Finding Release (Wild R Farm, #1)
  • Healer (The Institute, #1)
  • Liam (The Atherton Pack, #1)
  • A Sterling New Year (With or Without, #2.2)
  • The Pack or the Panther (Tales of the Harker Pack, #1)
  • Strength of the Wolf (The Tameness of the Wolf, #2)
  • Hairy Harry's Car Seat (Lyon Road Vets, #1)

Pack Mates (6 books)
  • Micah's Refuge (Pack Mates, #2)
  • The Wolf's Tiger (Pack Mates, #3)
  • Michael's Heart (Pack Mates, #4)
  • Pierce's Choice (Pack Mates, #5)
  • Daniel's Mate (Pack Mates #6)
Micah's Refuge (Pack Mates, #2) The Wolf's Tiger (Pack Mates, #3) Pierce's Choice (Pack Mates, #5) Daniel's Mate (Pack Mates #6) Michael's Heart (Pack Mates, #4)