Start by marking “Ruth's First Christmas Tree (Ruth Galloway, #4.5)” as Want to Read:
Ruth's First Christmas Tree  (Ruth Galloway, #4.5)

Ruth's First Christmas Tree (Ruth Galloway #4.5)

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,097 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
It is three days before Christmas and a bitter wind is blowing across Norfolk.

Until her daughter was born, forensic archaeologist Ruth Galloway didn’t do Christmas, but now that Kate is a year old, she wants it to be special.

Published November 12th 2012 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Ruth's First Christmas Tree, please sign up.

Nikki Yes. But it's really a short story, not a book.

Magdalena
Sep 07, 2015 Magdalena rated it liked it
I read this one yesterday because I was so tired and I just couldn't muster up energy enough to read any books. So a short story felt very nice. Btw, I got this one for free a couple of days ago and it's probably still free.

I have read every book that have been published in the Ruth Galloway series (quick check on GR, yes now I have with this little one) and I like the series. Ruth Galloway is an archaeologist and since I wanted to be one when I grew up am I always happy to stumble over one in a
Sally906
Jan 11, 2015 Sally906 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

RUTH’S FIRST CHRISTMAS TREE is a short story free download by British mystery author Elly Griffiths. Ruth doesn’t do Christmas but now her daughter Kate is one she decides to try and do the right thing. You wouldn’t think buying a Christmas tree, shopping for food and buying a few presents would be that difficult. At just 45 pages RUTH’S FIRST CHRISTMAS TREE gives a little peek into Ruth’s personal life when she isn’t out solving murders. If you haven’t caught up with the Ruth Galloway series ye
Marianne
Dec 11, 2014 Marianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ruth’s First Christmas Tree is a short story free download in the Ruth Galloway series by British author, Elly Griffiths. While Ruth doesn’t believe in Christmas, her daughter, Kate is now a year old and she realises she will have to do something to mark the holiday in the way of gifts and decorations. She buys a Christmas Tree, her very first, but it ends up being not quite the one she wanted, and further mishaps occur. On December 23rd, she reluctantly attends her boss, Phil’s party, but makes ...more
LJ
First Sentence: “The Spirits are strong in this one,” says the man in the white robe and gumboots.

For a woman who didn’t do Christmas, forensic anthropologist Ruth Galloway is challenged by making her 1-year-old daughter’s first Christmas special. Nothing is quite going to plan, including learning from her druid friend, Cathbad, informing her that a Bronze Age wooden peg is missing.

Griffith’s Ruth Galloway is a delight, particularly for those of us who have been known to eschew the accepted sent
Steven
Jul 06, 2015 Steven rated it really liked it
Cute little holiday story. And free to boot!
Monika
Jan 10, 2016 Monika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Jag är ju väldigt svag för Elly Griffiths serie om Ruth Galloway och när jag för tre år sedan såg att den här novellen gick att ladda ner gratis så var jag ju bara tvungen att göra det. Dessvärre blev den liggande på läsplattan, men julen kommer ju varje år och nu var det äntligen dags. Läs mer på min blogg.
Michele
This is a kindle short story that falls into the Ruth Galloway mystery series and for a short story, it really is quality writing. Most Kindle Shorts aren't that great, but Griffiths gives her readers good stuff here as she tells the story of Ruth and Kate's first Christmas tree (Ruth not being the holiday type person but now that she has her daughter, well, things change when kids come into the picture, right?). Michelle and Nelson make an appearance, as does Cathbad. It's worth the 20 minute r ...more
☼♄Jülie
Dec 14, 2014 ☼♄Jülie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any
Recommended to ☼♄Jülie by: Goodreads Friends
This is a great little short story if you want something not too fluffy, but still Christmasy.
Not one of your run of the mill Christmas stories, this one incorporates some fascinating bits of legend and mythology about the Christmas Tree and its traditional meaning in ancient cultures.
Very enjoyable and enlightening.
I was a little disappointed when I got to the end as I wanted it to go on.
4s
Susan Johnson
Nov 27, 2014 Susan Johnson rated it it was amazing
Ruth Galloway is wonderful even in small doses.
Lindsay Boitnott
Jan 05, 2015 Lindsay Boitnott rated it it was ok
Professional archaeologist Ruth is determined to give her daughter, Kate, a proper Christmas and the first item on her to-do list is to purchase a Christmas tree. It is the first time for Ruth to celebrate Christmas as an adult and she is struggling to wrap her analytical mind around such a faith based holiday. Her day involves a Christmas party, a blizzard, a missing wooden artifact, and a unique tree. All help Ruth realize that the perfect Christmas tree is definitely worth the work.

I was exci
Richard
Oct 05, 2013 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
A free eBook on Kindle brought out to promote Dying Fall. A clear winner for fans but doesn't really tell a story just buffs out her wonderful characters.
Elly Griffiths covers a lot of ground bringing the reader into Ruth's world but there is no real mystery or threat other than Norfolk's winter roads. it was good to be in these pages albeit briefly and reading filler rather than substance. It consolidates wonderfully what we know without really moving the story forward.
I like the way Elly is so
Eadie
Dec 25, 2015 Eadie rated it really liked it
This was a very enjoyable short story by Elly Griffiths which is from the Ruth Galloway Mystery series. It tells about Ruth Galloway's first Christmas Tree as a single mom with her 1 year daughter, Kate. A perfect read for this holiday season.
Anna Elliott
Dec 17, 2015 Anna Elliott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is number four and a half in the Ruth Galloway series of books. I am really enjoying this series and very recently read The House at Sea's End and A Room Full of Bones. I also reviewed The Janus Stone just a few months back, all of which I have really enjoyed.

To read my full review of this book please visit my blog at: http://leftontheshelfbookblog.blogspo...
Pat
Jan 05, 2013 Pat rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
A delightful story. I didn't know that some authors are writing short stories about their characters between novels. A fantastic idea and this one was free! Thank you to Elly Griffiths! If you are a fan of the series, read this wonderful holiday tale and keep these friends close by - even if they are fictional friends.
Ricki
Nov 02, 2015 Ricki rated it it was amazing
Ruth is planning the first Christmas that her daughter Kate will truly remember, as she was just a few months old for the last one. Everything is planned...from purchasing the tree from a druid friend of Cathbad, to cleaning house and backing cookies before going to a party at her best friends home , and her male friend arriving sometime Christmas Eve day!

But nothing goes as planned....from the baking (who could image so many ingredients needed?) to the ruined tree (never leave a child and cat a
Nancy
Jul 16, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it
cute little story... was hoping for more of the story...

It is three days before Christmas and a bitter wind is blowing across Norfolk.

She must get a tree, shop for food, clean the house, buy presents, including one for her new boyfriend—who she isn’t even sure is her boyfriend—and remember to get the turkey out of the freezer.

But time is rushing by an
Kim Kimselius
Det här är en kort julnovell, där vi får möta arkeologen Ruth Galloway som brukar lösa mordgåtor utifrån benrester. Normalt firar hon inte jul, men nu när hennes dotter Kate har blivit ett år är det dags att införa jultraditioner.

Det är en kort novell och jag väntar på att boken ska gripa tag, att något spännande ska hända. Som vanligt är boken berikande. Här får jag lära mig en hel del om julgranar/paradisträd, men den där riktiga Ruth-Galloway-känslan vill aldrig riktigt infinna sig. Förmodlig
Nancy
Jul 19, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it
When a good idea goes nowhere. That was my first thought when I finished this very short story.

Ruth is determined to give her young daughter Kate a traditional holiday, but things are not quite working out. The tree that she has picked out has disappeared with the vendor, her babysitter is suddenly unavailable, her to-do list is growing and nothing is quite falling into place.

One of the things that I did like about this story was Cathbad’s reciting of traditional Christmas symbols and where the
Cathy Cole
Dec 24, 2012 Cathy Cole rated it really liked it
First Line: "The spirits are strong in this one," says the man in the white robe and gumboots.

For any fan of Elly Griffiths' Dr. Ruth Galloway mystery series, the man in the white robe and gumboots will be recognized immediately as Ruth's friend, Cathbad, and with that bit of familiarity, the aforementioned fan will settle in for an all-too-short but enjoyable read.

Forensic archaeologist Dr. Ruth Galloway has never done Christmas before, but now that her daughter is a year old and can actually e
Gaynor Thomas
Aug 02, 2014 Gaynor Thomas rated it liked it
This was my first Elly Griffiths book and I quite enjoyed it, but it is just a (very) short story so it is difficult to judge what the rest of her books might be like based on this. The characters seem interesting and I would like to meet them again and read more about them. One thing that did confuse me is that Ruth's daughter Kate seems very advanced for a 13 month old - if her age hadn't been mentioned I would have thought she was at least two or even three!
Oddmonster
Oct 21, 2015 Oddmonster rated it it was ok
In the immortal words of 10 Things I Hate About You: "What is it with this chick? She have beer-flavored nipples?" I just didn't get why Nelson wound up there, why he and Cathbad did the thing I won't spoil you about, and why everyone in general wants to be all up in her biz.

Most of the time I can forgive Ruth her personality (maybe because novel-length? maybe because forensic archaeologist of smart?) but this just didn't work for me.
Sandy Weir
Mar 10, 2014 Sandy Weir rated it it was amazing
Yes, it was short, but it was never intended to be a novel. I loved the story and the people populating it. Beginning to end it was romantic and showed proper value in friendship. Well done! Wish it could be added to one of the novels, so I would have a hard copy!
Jill Campbell
Mar 18, 2015 Jill Campbell rated it really liked it
Nice lesson . . .

In pagan Christmas history with a little Norse thrown in. Elly Griffiths is one of my favorite authors. I have ancestors from Norwich so every now and then she gives some East Anglia history lessons also.
Wendy
Aug 10, 2014 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Good series

Good series

I love the stories and the characters. it's well written and believable. the settings and situations are different so I never compared these books to any others.
Michele Benson
Feb 14, 2015 Michele Benson rated it liked it
I think this was written just to keep fans happy while she wrote her next full length novel. It was fun and very typically Ruth in all ways, but too short.
judy nelson
Feb 05, 2015 judy nelson rated it it was amazing
First Xmas

I love the Ruth Galloway mysteries and characters so I loved this little Xmas offering. Great for a xmas book club read.Www
Marilyn
Nov 20, 2014 Marilyn rated it really liked it
Good

the Christmas was to be a young child's first Christmas tree.the child managed to tip it over.the child is still to understand.
Rebekah
Mar 05, 2015 Rebekah rated it really liked it
CHEESEY ONE-OFF MINI XMAS STORY, 5 stars for christmas, 3 stars for caving to the self indulgence of writing a mini christmas story, 4 stars average.
Heather
Sweet story to fit in between a Room full of Bones and Dying Fall
My only gripe, the story ended at 58%, the rest was an extract from Dying Fall
Wanda
Sweet, sentimental reading for Christmas that I received free ebook from Amazon.

2015 Challenge: A book set during Christmas
  • The Clue is in the Pudding (Pennyfoot Hotel Mysteries, #20)
  • Silent Night: Christmas Mysteries (British Library Crime Classics)
  • The Merchant's House (Wesley Peterson, #1)
  • Season of Darkness (Detective Inspector Tom Tyler, #1)
  • Relics (Faye Longchamp, #2)
  • The Santa Klaus Murder
  • The Sleeping Salesman Enquiry
  • Harbour Street (Vera Stanhope, #6)
  • We Wish You a Merry Murder (Susan Henshaw, #3)
  • A Killer's Christmas in Wales (Penny Brannigan Mystery #3)
  • Merry Market Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #5)
  • The Souls of the Ships
  • The Kissing Season
  • Blame It On The Mistletoe (Bright's Pond #4)
  • The Diva Wraps It Up (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #8)
  • A Game of Proof
Elly Griffiths' Ruth Galloway novels take for their inspiration Elly's husband, who gave up a city job to train as an archaeologist, and her aunt who lives on the Norfolk coast and who filled her niece's head with the myths and legends of that area. Elly has two children and lives near Brighton. Though not her first novel, The Crossing Places is her first crime novel.

More about Elly Griffiths...

Ruth Galloway (8 books)
  • The Crossing Places (Ruth Galloway, #1)
  • The Janus Stone (Ruth Galloway, #2)
  • The House at Sea's End (Ruth Galloway, #3)
  • A Room Full of Bones (Ruth Galloway, #4)
  • A Dying Fall (Ruth Galloway, #5)
  • The Outcast Dead (Ruth Galloway, #6)
  • The Ghost Fields (Ruth Galloway, #7)
  • The Woman in Blue (Ruth Galloway, #8)

“Sometimes,’ says Bob, trying to eat a falafel and balance his glass at the same time.” 0 likes