Ruth's First Christmas Tree  (Ruth Galloway #4.5)

Ruth's First Christmas Tree (Ruth Galloway #4.5)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  403 ratings  ·  51 reviews
It is three days before Christmas and a bitter wind is blowing across Norfolk.

Until her daughter was born, forensic archaeologist Ruth Galloway didn’t do Christmas, but now that Kate is a year old, she wants it to be special.

She must get a tree, shop for food, clean the house, buy presents, including one for her new boyfriend—who she isn’t even sure is her boyfriend—and re...more
Published November 12th 2012 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Ruth's First Christmas Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruth's First Christmas Tree

Richard
A free eBook on Kindle brought out to promote Dying Fall. A clear winner for fans but doesn't really tell a story just buffs out her wonderful characters.
Elly Griffiths covers a lot of ground bringing the reader into Ruth's world but there is no real mystery or threat other than Norfolk's winter roads. it was good to be in these pages albeit briefly and reading filler rather than substance. It consolidates wonderfully what we know without really moving the story forward.
I like the way Elly is so...more
Pat
Jan 05, 2013 Pat rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
A delightful story. I didn't know that some authors are writing short stories about their characters between novels. A fantastic idea and this one was free! Thank you to Elly Griffiths! If you are a fan of the series, read this wonderful holiday tale and keep these friends close by - even if they are fictional friends.
Nancy
When a good idea goes nowhere. That was my first thought when I finished this very short story.

Ruth is determined to give her young daughter Kate a traditional holiday, but things are not quite working out. The tree that she has picked out has disappeared with the vendor, her babysitter is suddenly unavailable, her to-do list is growing and nothing is quite falling into place.

One of the things that I did like about this story was Cathbad’s reciting of traditional Christmas symbols and where the...more
Cathy Cole
First Line: "The spirits are strong in this one," says the man in the white robe and gumboots.

For any fan of Elly Griffiths' Dr. Ruth Galloway mystery series, the man in the white robe and gumboots will be recognized immediately as Ruth's friend, Cathbad, and with that bit of familiarity, the aforementioned fan will settle in for an all-too-short but enjoyable read.

Forensic archaeologist Dr. Ruth Galloway has never done Christmas before, but now that her daughter is a year old and can actually e...more
Gaynor Thomas
This was my first Elly Griffiths book and I quite enjoyed it, but it is just a (very) short story so it is difficult to judge what the rest of her books might be like based on this. The characters seem interesting and I would like to meet them again and read more about them. One thing that did confuse me is that Ruth's daughter Kate seems very advanced for a 13 month old - if her age hadn't been mentioned I would have thought she was at least two or even three!
Sandy Weir
Yes, it was short, but it was never intended to be a novel. I loved the story and the people populating it. Beginning to end it was romantic and showed proper value in friendship. Well done! Wish it could be added to one of the novels, so I would have a hard copy!
Wendy
Good series

Good series

I love the stories and the characters. it's well written and believable. the settings and situations are different so I never compared these books to any others.
Gail
Feb 27, 2014 Gail rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
Nice little novella set around (quite obviously)Ruth's first Christmas tree.

Very short but very sweet.

Leslie
This is a very short bit of writing by Elly Griffiths to give those of us who want to learn more of our favorite forensic archeologist and her daughter Kate at Christmastime. It's only a few pages and tells of Ruth's misadeventure with having her first Christmas tree. I admit I was sort of irritated with the way it turned out. I mean, with what they did with the tree. Not sure why, I'm not uber traditional but I guess I sort of am at Christmas. I found it slightly disturbing. Now you'll all righ...more
Kevin
I really enjoy this series...a short story to wet your whistle for Griffiths next book.
Les Wilson
An excellent Novello, surrounding Ruth's first Christamas tree.
Vivian LaBree
Very good

Very quick, nice read. Goodreads and for a free book it is okay. would have to have read other books to enjoy.
Damaskcat
Ruth feels she needs to get a Christmas tree for daughter Kate’s second Christmas but she has left it rather late to get one. This is an amusing short story which introduces the main series characters in this interesting crime series featuring archaeologist and single mother, Ruth Galloway.

The book also features a sample from Elly Griffith latest Ruth Galloway novel, Dying Fall. If you haven’t read any of the books in the series then you might want to try this story to see if the series might in...more
Lisa Bergin
Just a very short story. What there was, was good but needed more
Angela
A short novella which nicely fills in the gap between Elly Griffiths' last book and the new one out in 2013. However, I think if you'd not read all the books in the Ruth Galloway series I don't think you'd necessarily get much out of this story. It assumes you know all about Ruth and her friends, so as someone who has read all the books and enjoyed them immensely, I also enjoyed this!
Emmalg
A rather enjoyable short story about Ruth's first Christmas tree. There's no real plot but the characters are as well written as ever and I found myself wishing the story was longer.
More than half the free book us taken up with a preview of the first two chapters of A Dying Fall, the fifth book in the series, so the Christmas story is only a few pages long.
Teresa
A delightful mini mystery describing a day in the life of our heroine Ruth - perfect reading for a stolen moment away from all the Christmas busy-ness and perfect for setting the reading juices going for the new Ruth Galloway book due out soon.
rose
This is a short story, E-book, that was out just before Christmas 2012

It is a fun story about Ruth, Kate, Cathbad and Harry - very pleasant "holiday" read while
I was waiting for book #5 to come out 3/2013

(book # 5, A Dying Fall, is awesome, best in series, don't miss it, released about 5 weeks ago)

Mar
Naomi
On the positive side, Ms. Griffiths continued on with Ruth's level of sarcasm that I absolutely love. On a negative side, I couldn't figure out the purpose for this short novella. It was basically a Christmas story with no mystery. I probably could have passed on this one.
Debra
For those who want more of Ruth, Cathbad and the Saltmarsh,a nice story that didn't turn out like I anticipated. Not a good introduction to the series, but satisfying to those fascinated by the archaeological crew.
Kim
This was really horrible. It took me way too long to get through, it definitely didn't leave me wanting any more, but it did leave me wondering why I'd bothered at all. It took away from the Christmas spirit, it didn't bring any. A true disappointment!!!
Martina
Wonderful Christmas novella about Ruth and Kate's first Christmas tree and the meaning of the tree and the trials and tribulations in having one. Wonderful story mainly about Ruth and Cathbad with important action from Kate. Charming and very enjoyable.
Wes
A very nice short story, part of the Ruth Galloway saga which I have enjoyed immensely. I'm anxiously awaiting the next book in the series. Elly Griffiths is one of my new favorite authors.
Lela
Cute little novella. I would like to have the story expanded, though, so we could know why Phil took the henge piece and if Diff gets better. Is this part of something else? Anyway, the writing and development was as good as ever!
Jina Howell-Forbes
Dec 19, 2012 Jina Howell-Forbes rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who follows the Ruth Galloway Series
Great Christmas gift of a free e-book. It is as good as all the Ruth Galloway books. They are good mysteries, interesting tutorials about archeology, and complex interesting characters. Only thing wrong is that, as always, I want more.
glitrbug
An unusual Christmas story with a druid and background about the old religions and how they relate to Christmas. For all that it hits all the right notes for a good Christmas story with the love of family, friends and good co-workers.
Louise
Short and sweet, putting just a tiny bit more of history into the interplay between all the characters.
Lili
This was a free download on Kindle a sweet Christmas story but much too short, love to know what was in the present? Love the Ruth,Nelson stories and will look forward to seeing many more full length ones.
Listen this isn't going to win any awards. But all Galloway fans will appreciate the short story. Although I am wondering what happened about the wooden peg...I wonder if this is covered in the 5th book?
Myos
excellent short story. It ends a bit quickly but that's par for the course for a short story. If you like the characters it's a great nugget that shows all your favorites during the holidays.
  • Blue Lightning (Shetland, #4)
  • Cold Comfort (Officer Gunnhilder #2)
  • Christmas in Venice: A Short Story
  • The Christmas Star
  • Magician's Accomplice: A Commander Jana Matinova Investigation
  • The Loyal Servant: A Very British Political Thriller (The Women Sleuths, #1)
  • Love Story, With Murders (Fiona Griffiths, #2)
  • A Wee Christmas Homicide (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #3)
  • The Chessmen (Lewis Trilogy, #3)
  • Horfðu á mig
  • The Golden Calf (Inspector Huss #5)
  • Cambridge Blue (DC Gary Goodhew Mystery #1)
  • I Love Lucy (The Bachelor Pact)
  • A Killer's Christmas in Wales (Penny Brannigan Mystery #3)
  • A Blind Goddess (Billy Boyle World War II, #8)
  • By Hook or By Crook and 30 More of the Best Crime and Mystery Stories of the Year
  • A Fatal Verdict (The Trials of Sarah Newby, #2)
  • A Terrible Beauty (Katie Maguire, #1)
Elly Griffiths' Ruth Galloway novels take for their inspiration Elly's husband, who gave up a city job to train as an archaeologist, and her aunt who lives on the Norfolk coast and who filled her niece's head with the myths and legends of that area. Elly has two children and lives near Brighton. Though not her first novel, The Crossing Places is her first crime novel.

More about Elly Griffiths...
The Crossing Places (Ruth Galloway, #1) The Janus Stone (Ruth Galloway #2) The House at Sea's End (Ruth Galloway, #3) A Room Full of Bones (Ruth Galloway #4) A Dying Fall (Ruth Galloway #5)

“Sometimes,’ says Bob, trying to eat a falafel and balance his glass at the same time.” 0 likes