Start by marking “Evening Ferry (Snow Island, #2)” as Want to Read:
Evening Ferry (Snow Island, #2)

Evening Ferry (Snow Island #2)

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  72 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Following on from the success of Snow Island, Katherine Towler returns to the fictional island with the second installment of this trilogy. Thirty-two year old Rachel Shattuck has not returned to Snow Island since she attended her mother's funeral. A year later, in the summer of 1965, she remains frightened of what she will confront at home: her mother's absence, her fathe ...more
Published June 1st 2006 by MacAdam/Cage Publishing (first published July 11th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Evening Ferry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evening Ferry

Candice
Feb 28, 2008 Candice rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who liked Snow Island, people who like well-written family sagas
Recommended to Candice by: Hester
The book takes place mostly on Snow Island, a small island off the coast of Rhode Island. Rachel Shattuck thinks she has left the island for good, but after her father suffers some injuries in a fall, she returns to help care for him. It is 1965, and a year after her mother's death. Recently divorced Rachel finds some of her mother's diaries and learns a lot that she never knew about her mother and her father. The book alternates between Rachel's experiences in the present and her mother's exper ...more
Stacey
Jul 29, 2010 Stacey rated it really liked it
Made me question how well I know my parents, how well my kids know me.We only know what they want us to know about them.
Claudia Putnam
May 19, 2013 Claudia Putnam rated it really liked it
Shelves: literary-fiction
Towler's work reminds me in some respects of Kent Haruf's. Clean, simple, evocative. And she means to do something similar--hold a close lens on a small community, usually by following a certain person and those immediately close to her. This is the middle book in a trilogy about Snow Island, off the coast of Rhode Island. While not far from the mainland, island character of the community keeps it apart in many ways from the rest of America, from changing mores and opportunities, though it is no ...more
Nancy
Feb 13, 2010 Nancy rated it liked it
Not a bad book, but perhaps a little trite. It tells the story of a young woman who returns to the New England island where she grew up. The island is only accessible by ferry, and undergoes periods of isolation. Her father (mostly estranged) still lives on the island. Her mother died several years before. She has a developmentally-disabled brother who lives in a state institution.

On the island, she discovers her mother's journals from when all of her children lived at home. Many revelations en
Denise
Mar 26, 2010 Denise rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this sequel to "Snow Island," set on a fictitious island off the coast of Rhode Island. (Lots of islands in that sentence.) Rachel Shattuck returns to the island after the death of her mother to care for her father,with whom she has always had a tumultuous relationship. She discovers a set of her mother's diaries, which shed a very different light on family issues and reveal unknown truths about the person her mother was. It's not a quick-moving plot, but rather a look into the charact ...more
 Barb Bailey
Jul 18, 2014 Barb Bailey rated it really liked it
Shelves: trilogies
I liked this book. I like books and stories set on Islands they seem so ramantic. This book is about a young woman who grew up on the Island. She thinks she leaves the Island for good after her Mothers death. But she returns when her father is injured. It is then she learns more about her Mother and her relationship with her father changes. . The second of Towlers Island books. Hoping for the third to come out soon.
Liv
Sep 01, 2009 Liv rated it really liked it
I got interested in this book after reading Snow Island, which I loved. Katherine Towler is apparently writing a triology and Evening Ferry is the second book in the series. I felt a connection with Rachel, the main character, because there were many similarities between the relationship with her mother and my relationship with mine.
Vivian
Jun 05, 2009 Vivian rated it really liked it
Absolutely wonderful follow up to her first novel, Snow Island. The story and characters, new and old, grabbed me from the first page. Ms. Towler writes beautifully and I loved Rachel's character. Can't wait for the final installment to return to the island for the last time. Very highly recommend.
Pat
Sep 15, 2012 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2006
This is book #2 in the Snow Island trilogy. I really enjoy this series and returning to the island to see who and what has changed. Rachel Shattuck returns home and discovers her mother's (Phoebe) diaries. Good read.
Delissca
Sep 16, 2012 Delissca rated it really liked it
Shelves: purchased
Excellent read! Terrific 2nd book in the trilogy. Katherine Towler has a way of drawing me into her island scenerio. I felt I was actually watching this story unfold in front of my eyes.
Lisa
Aug 09, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story of a young woman who learns that her mother really was human. This is a sequel to 'Snow Island', both great stories, the kind that make you want to get back to the book.
Mary
Sep 02, 2010 Mary rated it it was amazing
I like this even better than Snow Island and can't wait to read the third of the trilogy. This author pulled me right into the story with her excellent character development.
Sue
Sep 07, 2010 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2nd in the series. Takes place on Prudence Island, probably. A little more grit than the first.
Patti
May 01, 2011 Patti rated it liked it
Nice
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Brad Randolph
Brad Randolph marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Eileen Murphy
Eileen Murphy rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Jeanne
Jeanne marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2016
Lolo
Lolo added it
Dec 30, 2015
Sylvia
Sylvia marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
Debbi DuBose
Debbi DuBose rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Tomasen Carey
Tomasen Carey marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Patti
Patti rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2015
David Rawding
David Rawding rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2015
Frances Emmons
Frances Emmons rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2015
Helen
Helen rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2015
Meg's
Meg's rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Katherine Towler is author of The Penny Poet of Portsmouth: A Memoir of Place, Solitude, and Friendship and the novels Snow Island, Evening Ferry,and Island Light. This literary trilogy is set on a fictional New England island and takes place between the early 1940s and early 1990s, chronicling the lives of two generations in two island families and the impact of war on the island community. Kathe ...more
More about Katherine Towler...

Snow Island (3 books)
  • Snow Island (Snow Island, #1)
  • Island Light (Snow Island, #3)