Start by marking “Mattie” as Want to Read:
Mattie

Mattie

MATTIE is a sweeping historical novel based on the life and times of Ann Rohrer’s maternal grandmother, who was born and raised in Colonia Juarez, one of 13 Mormon settlements in Mexico—the same one where Mitt Romney's grandfather lived.

Covering the time between 1902 and 1917 which includes an up close and personal view of Pancho Villa and the turbulence of the Mexican Re
Published March 12th 2013 by Cedar Fort, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Mattie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mattie

Cathy
Apr 22, 2013 Cathy rated it really liked it
Colonia Juarez 1902 - Mattie is a young girl growing up in Mexico in her great big polygamist family. Her father has just died and she hates a lot of things right now, including God. But Mattie will continue to live on the family ranch with her brothers, sisters and mother. She will continue to go to school and she will eventually grow up and marry to have a family of her own. Between those things there will be a lot of trials and learning experiences for Mattie and for those around her. Mattie ...more
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Mattie follows the life of Martha Ann Sevey. She is eleven as the book opens in the early 1900's. She lives in a Mormon Colony in Mexico. Her story starts as her family is getting ready to bury her polygamous father. She has a large family with the usual family dynamic of squabbling siblings. Her life is simple.

As a teen things change when she leaves Mexico to live with an older sister. She goes from girl to Young Woman and faces many challenges associated with growing up. Men, they are always a
Shauna
Apr 11, 2013 Shauna rated it it was amazing
Mattie is an amazing woman! I can't even imagine all that she endured. What strength she had! What determination! I so enjoyed learning more about the Mexican Revolution through the eyes of someone who was there.

I really LOVED the part that said:
"Life returned to normal, as normal as a life gets with a husband on the run in the middle of a war. And political unrest had heightened, hanging over Colonia Juarez like a guillotine, Still, meals had to be prepared, the wash done, butter churned, the
Marilyn
Mar 21, 2013 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was wonderful. I loved the characters and the faith building twists and turns. I was fascinated by the setting in Mexico and thanks to Rohrer's beautiful writing, imagining the family ranch came easily.

Many times while reading I thought that the book reminded me of "These Is My Words" by Nancy Turner. I highly recommend that excellent book and this one as well.
Kathryn
Apr 02, 2014 Kathryn rated it liked it
A little slow at times. Historical relay of the unrest in Mexico in early 1900's. Based on a true story of finding faith, happiness and enduring love.

Spoiler:
Follow the life of Mattie as she grows from a young girl who looses her elderly father before she's ready, sets out on her own in CA thinking that she will eventually marry her brother's friend Alonzo. Ends up leaving him at the alter so to speak, but hopes she hasn't made the wrong decision because of her hearts desire for children of he
Pamela
May 17, 2013 Pamela rated it it was amazing
I thought writing a story about your ancestors was a great way to remember them, and to help others get to know them. The author took some liberties in telling the story, and that was ok because she references the facts in the back of the book. I loved ready about the history of what happened down in the Mormon colonies. Great book.
Jackie Mcdonald
Apr 30, 2013 Jackie Mcdonald rated it it was amazing
Mattie is a rare window into the life and times of the Mormon Colonies in Mexico during the Mexican Revolution. Mattie, the author's grandmother, grows in faith and conviction through the challenges unique to this setting. Mattie is a story of how faith, courage, love and strength become the essential building blocks of good character and a happy life. Thanks, Ann. A very enjoyable read.
Jessica
Oct 30, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it
A friend of mine wrote this book and I really enjoyed reading it. I knew nothing about the Mormon colonies in Mexico so it was neat to learn more about that as well, but the story is a good read as well.
Elise Hill
Elise Hill rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2014
Danie
Danie rated it liked it
May 28, 2014
Sherine
Sherine rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2013
Shaeleen
Shaeleen rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2014
Nicholem
Nicholem rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2014
Jenny
Jenny rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2013
Carrie Dalby
Nov 17, 2016 Carrie Dalby rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Great read, amazing lives.
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2015
Kristen
Kristen rated it really liked it
May 10, 2013
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2013
Polly Bigelow
Polly Bigelow rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2014
Nadine
Sep 10, 2013 Nadine rated it it was ok
Only marginally interesting. Not something I would suggest as a 'good read.'
Linda Miller
Linda Miller rated it it was ok
Mar 18, 2014
J D Abbas
J D Abbas rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2015
Anita
Anita rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2013
Terry Wood
Terry Wood rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2013
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
May 10, 2013
Jennie
Jennie rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2013
Annie
Annie rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2013
Meric Dubose
Meric Dubose rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2013