Start by marking “The MacArthur Study Bible - New American Standard Bible” as Want to Read:
The MacArthur Study Bible - New American Standard Bible

The MacArthur Study Bible - New American Standard Bible

Unleasing God's Truth, One Verse at a Time
No other Bible does such a thorough job of explaining the historical context unfolding the meaning of the text and placing it within a theological framework.
Large Print
Published (first published 2005)

Be the first to ask a question about The MacArthur Study Bible - New American Standard Bible

B
Mar 13, 2008 B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone and everyone
The Bible is a classic (not to mention the truest words ever written!). This particular publication is great because:
- NASB (New American Standard Bible) is a truer translation (I think) from the original Hebrew/Aramaic and Greek
- Cross-references
- Alternate translations for various words
- Well-written footnotes
- Maps and other reference materials throughout
- I like the leather binding
- It was given to me as a gift from my beautiful wife <3

If you're a bit of a geek like me, then you'll
laurenpie
Dec 31, 2012 laurenpie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, christian
Enriching and Trustworthy; NOTE re Large Print edition

John MacArthur's commentary broadens my understanding of scripture and adds instructive historical perspective. At the same time, it helps me to focus on a passage's core spiritual truths and its applications to my life.

I love John MacArthur's sermons (I listen online), and am now thrilled to find this treasure-trove of exposition.

I have both the 2006 NASB "MacArthur Study Bible" and the 2005 "The MacArthur Bible Commentary." I've compared th
K Nathanael
Feb 26, 2013 K Nathanael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. (Hebrews 4:12 NIV). Great commentary provided by John MacArthur
Jaye Knight
Feb 16, 2015 Jaye Knight rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this Bible as a gift several years ago and have read through it twice. I've gained an incredible amount of knowledge from the notes, especially about the Old Testament.
Jean Pierre
Jul 23, 2011 Jean Pierre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John MacArthur is one of my favorite living theologians today. This study bible has helped me to better understand God's revealed word. MacArthur's study bible is probably one of the most detailed study bibles you will ever come across. He has literally thousands of notes that expound difficult passages. The only issue, if you could call it that, that I have with this book is that he is dispensational so MacArthur does view many passages of Scripture from that framework. Besides that, this is a ...more
librarian4Him02
In 2010, i once again took a journey through God's word. This is something I try to do every other year or so. Each time I gain a deeper understanding of God, HIs plan, purposes, and sovereignty.

In this particular edition, edited by John MacArthur, there are a myriad of maps, diagrams, footnotes, cross references and more to help you learn and understand God's word. If you're looking for a good study Bible, I highly recommend this one.
Shiba
Jul 07, 2011 Shiba rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it! I haven't read the entire thing, obviously... I prefer reading the Bible in my mother tongue (Afrikaans), anyway. But whenever I read something I don't understand, I'm able to check this study Bible - MacArthur explains the Bible with the Bible, explaining cultural background where necessary; he doesn't make up his own stories to twist the Bible his way, which is always something I worry about in study Bibles.
Roy
Jan 01, 2014 Roy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy the ministry of John MacArthur and appreciate his passion for God's Word. This edition is in the NASB, a very good Bible translation (perhaps the most literal English translation). The notes are very helpful though I differed with him over his Calvinistic views. However, I do highly recommend this study Bible.
Shannon
Jan 18, 2010 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the version I prefer when studying. I often reference back to other versions, especially NLT, when I am having trouble understaning the concept. This is also the version that I have started using for memorization work. (I don't have the MacArthur Study Bible though, I could not access the exact publication I have even though it is here on goodreads.)
Dave Ebacher
Mar 17, 2008 Dave Ebacher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bible Students
Next to the Ryrie NASV, this study bible by Dr. John MacArthur and buttressed by the Master's Seminary, is the finest study bible in current publication. The intros. and notes provide very good historical, cultural and grammatical insights that support the text for faithful application.

One book that I'll never finish reading!

'ME'
Apr 10, 2012 'ME' rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MY FAVOURITE BIBLE VERSION!!! and yes John Macarthur's study notes do help but only to a certain point... it is always nice to continue to study and read his and other FULL length Commentaries, i mean to take a bite is nice but to actually sink your teeth into a txt and grasp it in depth is always best! (Calvin and Spurgeon have excellent commentaries!)
Marcia
Dec 31, 2007 Marcia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading through the Bible in one year. I used this study bible for the adventure. I really enjoyed the study notes in the publication. It clarified verses and content with which I was struggling. I didn't use the Bible reading plan in the book. I used the one from Discipleship Journal so I didn't have to read Job until last--often my hang-up in past attempts.
Russell
Jul 26, 2012 Russell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite translation for study, and my favorite study bible for the notes included... .The only problem with this Bible at all is it is too easy to see through the pages, so it can cause a little eye strain if lighting is not just right....
DeAnn Wilson
Sep 25, 2007 DeAnn Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the world
1 Timothy 3:16

"The word of God is living and active, sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates, even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow. It judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
Denton
Nov 17, 2007 Denton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible
This is my current favorite Bible! I love the NASB text and the study notes are abundant and shed light onto the text. I thank God for John MacArthur!
Julie Traxler
The Old Testament is mind boggling.
Douglas Wilson
May 31, 2009 Douglas Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scripture
Not this version, and just the New Testament.
Eddie
Apr 14, 2008 Eddie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
I have recently stopped using this Bible because I prefer the NKJV. I still use the MacArthur notes though. I don't always agree with John MacArthur but I do like his notes and ideas.
Andy
Kara
Oct 03, 2008 Kara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome! The best book you'll ever read!
Merri Hawkins
May 14, 2009 Merri Hawkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the format of this bible
Brandon Price
May 07, 2011 Brandon Price is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
NASB has been an interesting translation. MacArthur's commentary is excellent.
Carl
Sep 02, 2008 Carl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
the amount os notes is unsurmmounted by any other study bible thus far.
Matt
Feb 20, 2008 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bibles
Great Study Bible
Matthew
Aug 13, 2009 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must have Bible. NASB is extremely accurate and is the best english translation that uses minority Greek text.
Ric Robinson
Ric Robinson rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2013
Thomas Kruise
Thomas Kruise rated it liked it
May 01, 2016
Ann
Ann rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2016
Marikit
Marikit rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2012
  • What the Bible Says about Parenting: Biblical Principles for Raising Godly Children
  • John MacArthur: Servant of the Word and Flock
  • The Message of the New Testament: Promises Kept
  • Already Gone: Why Your Kids Will Quit Church and What You Can Do to Stop It
  • Our Covenant God: Living in the Security of His Unfailing Love
  • The King James Only Controversy: Can You Trust the Modern Translations?
  • The Genesis Record: A Scientific and Devotional Commentary on the Book of Beginnings
  • Gospel And Kingdom: A Christian Interpretation Of The Old Testament
  • John: 90 Days with the Beloved Disciple (Personal Reflections)
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...