Start by marking “Under the Tree: The Toys and Treats That Made Christmas Special, 1930-1970” as Want to Read:
Under the Tree: The Toys and Treats That Made Christmas Special, 1930-1970

Under the Tree: The Toys and Treats That Made Christmas Special, 1930-1970

Filled with more than 100 illustrations—nostalgic art, vintage photographs, and evocative advertisements

When? Can’t I open just one? Please? The minutes, the hours, the eons of waiting—and wondering. What’s underneath the shiny silver paper? Behind the enormous red bow? Under the tree?

Who doesn’t remember what it was like to be a kid at Christmas? And who hasn’t yearned t
Published October 1st 2007 by Stewart, Tabori and Chang

To ask other readers questions about Under the Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under the Tree

Mayda
Mar 21, 2011 Mayda rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, christmas
This book reminded me of many of my own Christmases: The anticipation often exceeded the actual event. That being said, I have enjoyed all my Christmases, and I enjoyed reading this book, too. And, yes, I found toys I had when I was a child, some of which were still around when I started buying toys for my own children. No doubt, my kids will some day buy some of these same toys for their kids. This book covers toys and treats from 1930 to 1970 in 112 pages, and therein lies the problem: Not ...more
Roberta
Oct 09, 2015 Roberta rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas-books
Susan Waggoner has done a superb job of compiling most of the toys you can imagine from 1930-1970. She describes several of my most coveted toys: a tea set, the Easy Bake Oven, and a dollhouse. Despite that she covers a lot of Shirley Temple items, she fails to mention the most awesome toy ever - the Shirley Temple Magnetic T V Theater. I never had one of my own, but I loved playing with my sister's. She devotes a lot of space to games, the ultimate game for beginners being Candyland. I loved ...more
Tammy
Jan 19, 2016 Tammy rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas, holiday, trivia
A fun look at holiday trends from the 1930 through 1970. Discovering what toys were popular shows some cultural changes, historical events going on at the time and financial issues in the life of your average American family through five decades. It was also neat to see how some toys have changed very little from their beginnings as far back as ancient Egypt.
Sumi
Mar 22, 2008 Sumi rated it it was ok
Oh, the nostalgia!

While I'm rather glad that I never had 'The Beverly Hillbillies' game, I do fondly remember the Woolworth's doll house that I once played with.

A book of the toys and games from my childhood, most of which didn't survive my childhood.
Marie
Dec 27, 2011 Marie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Lot's of fun strolling down memory lane. Even though many of the toys and games were before my time, I still enjoyed reading about them. The ads and their price lists were very interesting. Wow!
Hunter
Dec 30, 2010 Hunter rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas, nostalgia

A bit of a let down after "It's A Wonderful Christmas". Less a Christmas nostalgia book than a toy nostalgia book. Not at all a bad book, just not as festive as I was hoping for.
Jacqueline115
Jacqueline115 rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2013
Dorothy Thurgood
Dorothy Thurgood rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2014
Brianne
Brianne rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2012
Cheryl D
Cheryl D rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2015
Ellie
Ellie rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2011
CELIA MARSTON
CELIA MARSTON rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2014
Darlene
Darlene rated it really liked it
May 13, 2013
J.B. Dorman
J.B. Dorman rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
R. Kelly
R. Kelly rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Elena
Elena rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2014
Richard Downey
Richard Downey rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2013
Melinda
Melinda rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2016
Michele
Michele rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2012
Terri
Terri rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2013
Steph
Steph rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2015
Rem Cabrera
Rem Cabrera rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2016
Dair
Dair rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2015
Kelley Montgomery
Kelley Montgomery rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2015
Pat Hinds
Pat Hinds rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2009
Ben
Dec 13, 2009 Ben rated it liked it
Read it for the pictures; they were awesome.
Sarah rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2013
Debbie
Debbie rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2010