Start by marking “The Frugal Gourmet Cooks with Wine” as Want to Read:
The Frugal Gourmet Cooks with Wine

The Frugal Gourmet Cooks with Wine

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The popular author of the 700,000 copy bestseller The Frugal Gourmet now offers this companion book to the new 26-part national public television series, "The Frugal Gourmet Cooks With Wine". Includes over 400 recipes and tips on choosing, storing, and matching food with wine. Black-and-white illustrations.
Published November 1st 1988 by Avon (first published September 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Frugal Gourmet Cooks with Wine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Frugal Gourmet Cooks with Wine

Amy "the book-bat"
As with other Frugal Gourmet cookbooks, there is a great deal of history included in the book. Since I have little knowledge of wine, the extra info is nice to have. I am not sure that I will do much cooking from the book since I am not a wine drinker, but maybe if it is only a small amount in a sauce or something, I might eventually try some.
Mark Allen
I started using this book as early as 14 years old. This was the cookbook that really brought out my love for cooking. Yes, I would have my parents supply the wine I needed to cook with. Mix chicken, bacon, cream, butter, and spices together with red wine for something that your guests will not believe.
Monica Willyard
Apr 06, 2009 Monica Willyard rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves good food
Shelves: nls
This is my favorite in the Frugal Gourmet series. The food is scrumptious, and the information about serving and pairing wine with food is excellent.
i learned so many things about cooking with this book
David Webb
This is the best of the Frugal Gourmet cookbooks.
It's hard to hold open a paperback like this and follow a recipe and cook without getting sauce or whatever on the pages. Anyway, we watched Jeff Smith and enjoyed him back in the '90s and when we bought our home I was itching to try out my new kitchen and actually learn some cooking skills. I was given this book about 15 years ago and made a few things from it. Written in the congenial manner of the TV host himself. It was weird how this guy just vanished off the face of the earth after he was ...more
Fredrick Danysh
Jeff Smith has assembled a collection of recipes that use wine as an ingredient. There is also a section on kitchen equipment and terms as well as a discussion of herbs and spices.
I found several recipes that have been favorites for years. This is one of several books that introduced me to cooking professionally. Just find a recipe that sounds good and try it! You won't be disappointed
Serge Pierro
Back in the day, Jeff Smith was the quintessential entertaining TV chef. This book contains simple recipes and is an excellent accompaniment to the TV series.
Interesting read, but rarely use the recipes!
because who doesn't love cooking with wine!
Michaela marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Michele Carter
Michele Carter marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Angelia marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Jay marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Vickie added it
Aug 02, 2015
Elizabeth Rocco
Elizabeth Rocco is currently reading it
Jul 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Becoming Vegetarian: The Complete Guide to Adopting a Healthy Vegetarian Diet
  • Almost Vegetarian: A Primer for Cooks Who Are Eating Vegetarian Most of the Time, Chicken & Fish Some of the Time, & Altogether Well All of the Time
  • Jane Brody's Good Food Book: Living the High-Carbohydrate Way
  • Cooking under Pressure
  • Emeril's New New Orleans
  • Stalking the Healthful Herbs
  • Recipes for a Small Planet
  • The Complete Book of Juicing: Your Delicious Guide to Youthful Vitality
  • Herbs & Spices: The Cook's Reference
  • 1,001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes: Delicious, Easy-to-Make, Healthy Meals for Everyone
  • The Whole Foods Market Cookbook: A Guide to Natural Foods with 350 Recipes
  • River Road Recipes
  • Gourmet Today: More than 1000 All-New Recipes for the Contemporary Kitchen
  • Whole Foods for the Whole Family: La Leche League International Cookbook
  • The Millennium Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine
  • Top Chef: The Quickfire Cookbook
  • Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook
  • Food--Your Miracle Medicine
Jeffrey L. Smith was the author of a dozen best-selling cookbooks and the host of The Frugal Gourmet, a popular American cooking show.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See authors with similar names.
More about Jeff Smith...