Start by marking “My Second Death” as Want to Read:
My Second Death

My Second Death

In Lydia Cooper's wry and absorbing debut novel, we are introduced to Mickey Brandis, a brilliant twenty-eight-year-old doctoral candidate in medieval literature who is part Lisbeth Salander and part Dexter. She lives in her parents' garage and swears too often, but she never complains about the rain or cold, she rarely eats dead animals, and she hasn't killed a man since ...more
Published January 18th 2013 by Tyrus Books (first published December 18th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about My Second Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Second Death

Valentina
May 22, 2013 Valentina rated it really liked it
This was a book that surprised me a bit. I expected a thriller, just a regular genre story, so I found myself smiling at how carefully it was constructed, how lyrically it was written. Definitely not what I expected.
The main character, Michaela, is one of the more interesting protagonists I’ve read about in a while. She is so well constructed that, as strange as her behavior usually is, it doesn’t come off as that peculiar and we feel ourselves identifying with her thoughts. Which, of course, s
Leah
Apr 21, 2013 Leah rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, new-to-me, 2013
‘For in that sleep of death what dreams may come…’

‘And then there’s me, the middle child. I live in the garage and say “fuck” too much, but I never whine about the rain or the cold, I rarely eat dead animals, and I haven’t killed a man since I was ten.’

Mickey has been to enough shrinks and therapists in her life to know she’s not ‘normal’. But she’d like to be, and her great fear is that she’s destined to become a serial killer. She dreams about blood, murder and torture and battles every day t
Melissa B
May 29, 2013 Melissa B rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this through a Goodreads giveaway.

In all of the books I have read, I have never found a character more fascinating that Michaela (Mickey) Brandis. I was hooked in the first few pages. I have to say that Mickey is probably my favorite fictional character to date. The entire novel is written in her matter-of-fact voice. You see the emotions of others and it's definitely a jarring contrast to Mickey's lack of emotions.

This novel is slated as a mystery and a thriller. I found
Mike Bull
Jul 23, 2013 Mike Bull rated it really liked it
I saw this book at the local library and was immediately interested.

Set in the U.S.A., the narrative is in the first person. Mickey Brandisis a doctoral candidate with mental health issues which color the way she sees the world including her parents and two brothers--one older and one younger.

Brilliant in some ways and hobbled in others, she tries to make sense of past events in her life including a family boarder who she killed by pushing down the basement stairs when she was ten. Set against p
Victoria
From its synopsis and the claim that the main character, Micaela (“Mickey”), acts like a combination of Lisbeth Salander and Dexter Morgan, I had some pretty high expectations of this debut novel. Unfortunately, the book did not meet them. Its claims were a bit too generous. Though Mickey did share some of the qualities of these other legendary characters of modern fiction. Like Lisbeth, she was a tough young woman and like Dexter she was a diagnosed sociopath from a young age, but Mickey shared ...more
Journey
god, idk what to rate this! 3.5? i liked it and i think Mickey is a fantastic character, but there were some things like pacing and Aiden's character that were off for me.

so, this book is shelved as thriller, mystery, etc. but imo, it's really not. yes, there are two "mysteries" that Mickey is trying to get answers to, but those are not the driving force of the book. the driving force is how she, as an admitted sociopath, navigates her family and trying to live on her own and resist the brutally
Patrice Hoffman
My Second Death is the debut novel written by Lydia Cooper featuring a strange, antisocial personality named Mickey Brandis. The novel begins with Mickey finding a strange note leading her to an abandoned crack house where she discovers a body. That isn't the last strange thing that has happened to Mickey, an artist introduced to her through her older brother David convinces her to investigate the murder of his mother. All these occurances definitely disrupt the quiet life Mickey has created for ...more
Jen
Apr 17, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
My Second Death is a strange book, and although I almost stopped reading on the first page, I held on until I was enthralled.

Book description: "In Lydia Cooper’s wry and absorbing debut novel, we are introduced to Mickey Brandeis, a brilliant twenty-eight year old doctoral candidate in medieval literature who is part Lisbeth Salander and part Dexter."

Yes, the book is creepy, and Mickey is described as a sociopath and/or having antisocial personality disorder. However, after getting over the firs
Gaby
May 15, 2013 Gaby rated it liked it
The heroine of My Second Death had been described as part Lisbeth Salander and part Dexter. As a huge fan of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series, I was eager to read My Second Death. I admit that I didn't immediately take to the book and it was only on my third attempt that I slowly adjusted to Mickey Brandeis. We learn early on that Mickey killed a man when she was ten. But in a matter of fact voice we also hear that she mutilated the man's body. This was enough to get me to stop reading the ...more
J
Jun 11, 2015 J rated it really liked it
BEWARE of spoilers. Remember, one man's bookflap summary is another man's spoiler.

Read this a couple months back, so I'm not able to recollect all the details of plot, character names, etc.

Have great admiration for the way the author seems to convey a sociopathic personality from the inside out. The main character, Gillian Flynn, is a grad student in medieval lit, who is bright but cannot form healthy relationships.

However, she's not half as twisted as her supposedly normal older brother. Who se
Michael Griswold
Jul 29, 2013 Michael Griswold rated it really liked it
My Second Death is the debut novel of Lydia Cooper. From page one, with the lively biting prose of someone who clearly has an English degree and knows how to use it, she establishes this character of Michaela "Mickey" Brandeis--a psychologically troubled, but wonderfully intelligent graduate student in literature. With every carefully crafted phrase, so precisely worded, the reader feels like there in the head of a psychologically damaged graduate student who once killed a man when she was ten.

T
Kathy
May 10, 2013 Kathy rated it really liked it
Mickey killed a man when she was 10 years old, but it's what she did afterward that has blighted her life. Sentenced by doctors as a psychopath, with debilitating social issues, she has nevertheless become a gifted medieval scholar.
Then things start to change. Someone leaves an anonymous note that leads her to a mutilated body. She decides to move away from her parents and into an apartment. Her roommate doesn't treats her as though she were normal and even asks for her help. She reaches out to
Therese
Jul 31, 2014 Therese rated it really liked it
Tremendous points for an anti-heroine with a pretty unique voice. She's not quite any of Gillian Flynn's psycho darlings, and she's not Dexter no matter what the blurbs say.

Her emotions (save the ones that express irritation) are muted in all respects. She's got that autistic confusion of not being able to understand why her dear mother is crying, and her only real human connection is with her flamboyent, troublemaking poet brother.

She accepts that she's a psycho. After all, she's obsessed wit
Barbara
Apr 14, 2013 Barbara rated it liked it
This book started off a little slow for me, but as I keep reading it has picked up and so far I like it. A little freaked out that the one characters name is the same as my son and his mothers name is the same as mine. Again with the names, as I kept reading the book, my daughters name came in. Weird.

But I liked the book, it stalled in a few places and left me wanting in a few others. I wasnt real happy with the ending but I wasnt overly upset or disappointed either.

It's a book worth reading.
April
May 20, 2013 April marked it as to-read
I received a copy of this book free through Goodreads first Reads.

I work at a Senior/Youth center and donate all print books I win in giveaways to the library.

I hope I get a chance to check this one out in the near future!!!

I can say it must be a really good read because it has been checked out since I added it to the library shelves!!
Katie
Jul 24, 2013 Katie rated it liked it
This book is ok. The author seems to rely on a lot of media stereotypes about Antisocial Personality Disorder. If you don't know what it is, either, it probably won't bother you.

It almost reminds me of books by Gillian Flynn, because the main character is quite flawed and a bit twisted. If you like that, you might like this.
Allison Floyd
GUTGed on page 46, by which point I could only hope the narrator, who didn't start out endearing, and went downhill from there, ends up taking her place among the murder victims. I doubt that's how it goes down, and I don't care enough to find out. Well-written, though.

Animal cruelty weenies like me would be well-advised to stay away from this one.
Robin
Jun 09, 2013 Robin rated it really liked it
The mysteries almost take second place to the characters in this fascinating novel. The heroine is challenged by her past and present in daily living and i found her very engaging. Some descriptions and activities are not for the squeamish..
Charles Polk
Jul 29, 2013 Charles Polk rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was well written and hard to put down. What engaged me most was not so much the murder mystery as the exploration of Mickey's character and the questions of right and wrong. This was a smartly written story and while it was dark it was not hopeless.
Matthew
Sep 28, 2014 Matthew rated it really liked it
Took me a while to finish. It's because it's a difficult read. Emotionally difficult. We're truly in the head of a sociopath, and we're rooting for her the whole way. Even when she picks up the knife and imagines the feel of cutting someone.

What a hell of a read
Anna
Mar 18, 2013 Anna rated it did not like it
Not at all as promised- the character is nothing like Lisbeth Salander or Dexter Morgan. The book is definitely a skip.
Nikki
Sep 05, 2013 Nikki rated it really liked it
Great debut novel for Lydia Cooper. I enjoyed this book, but could have done without some of the graphic details. If you like Gillian Flynn's books, give this one a try.
Lectus
Mar 30, 2014 Lectus rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Interesting concept for a character. For me, the story fell flat and I couldn't even bring myself to finish it.
Jan
Jan rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2015
PfromJ
Jan 08, 2014 PfromJ rated it really liked it
Great writing -- can't wait to see what else she does
Joan
Joan rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2014
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2015
Pteresa Zoe
Pteresa Zoe rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2014
Harry Annan
Harry Annan rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2014
Mwill78
Mwill78 rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Hard Bounce
  • Billy Blue Sky
  • Stein, Stoned (Harry Stein, #1)
  • Jimmy Stu Lives!
  • New Queer Cinema: The Director's Cut
  • Quests of Shadowind: Sky Shifter (Young Adult Series - Book 1)
  • Another Sun
  • How to Screw Up Your Marriage
  • The Devil Made Me Do It
  • Gangsterland (Ink Portal Adventure #1)
  • Skinny Dipping in Daylight
  • Pale Horses (Jade de Jong, #4)
  • Dead Insider
  • More Peas, Thank You
  • Sweet Tea for Two
  • Kanji-Kan (Puzzle Book 1)
  • Two Out of Three (Meagan Maloney Mystery, #1)
  • The Devil in Her Way (Maureen Coughlin, #2)
Lydia R. Cooper is an author and educator who lives in Omaha, Nebraska.
More about Lydia R. Cooper...