Start by marking “Bias Cut” as Want to Read:
Bias Cut

Bias Cut

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Burned out and bitter after a string of disappointments, Nicola Strozyk takes a short-term gig assisting Laurie Sparks, the design world's reigning enfant terrible. Barely in his twenties, Laurie has built himself an empire encompassing a chic Manhattan boutique and a role on an obnoxious reality series. Part worldly sophisticate and part cheerful scatterbrain, Laurie is b ...more
Published September 1st 2012 by Luft Books

To ask other readers questions about Bias Cut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bias Cut

Lea Setegn
I LOVED THIS BOOK and read it in one sitting. However, I acknowledge that this could be an experience particular to women who are:

* In their 40s.
* Familiar with the fashion world.
* Familiar with 1980s pop culture. (Typically goes hand-in-hand with being fortysomething these days.)
* Conversant in the ways of gay men of a certain type. (Because, as cute as he is, Laurie is not a lot more than a type.)
* Familiar with "raising" a twentysomething as a friend or mentor. (Been there, honey, and it look
Nicole
I got this book when it was free on Amazon, but after the first twenty pages, I knew that I would have enjoyed it even if I'd purchased it (this is my highest praise). I really liked the relationship between Laurie and Nicola, and rooted for both of them. They each gave the other something that he or she was lacking, but not in an overly sappy way. Laurie helped Nicola feel present in her life and vital in his, while she provided him with the sort of non-maternal grounding that he desperately ne ...more
Rebecca
The ideas in this book are pretty cool. The how they get into the mystery bit. However it just takes too long to get any tension and once you get there, it is back and forth between too fast and who cares. 52% before there is any death or danger.

Then there is another issue. There is more depth to the descriptions of clothing than the characterization. Especially odd when what little hint there is of the main person's character is that she doesn't care much about clothes. So why does she obsess s
Jerilyn Marler
I searched through the stack of books by my bed looking for something lighter than my usual murder mystery/international intrigue fare. I knew nothing about this author. We'd received the book as a gift from her uncle who is a friend of my husband's. I'm so glad I decided to give it a shot. Love Ms. Richter's writing, the delightful characterizations, the peek into the fashion world. It takes time to get to the mystery/suspense at the heart of the story, but I enjoyed hanging out with Nicola and ...more
R. Diskin Black
This book was pure pleasure! A sordid tale of murder and mayhem in the fashion world, Richter with this clever story takes the reader from New York to Los Angeles to Paris to the desert of Nevada (a town called Decline!) and back to New York before its "please-don't-end" last pages. The protagonist, Nicola, is a completely believable and immensely likeable modern 40-year-old woman who finds herself working for reality TV and fashion sensation, Laurie, an infuriating, selfish, fabulous 20-somethi ...more
Donna Murray
If you need proof that Indie books can actually be better than many conventionally published books, try this one. In my view it was enjoyable in every way–solid plot, interesting background, but best of all an especially wonderful friendship between the two main characters. Of course it is a mystery, so that “biased” me somewhat, but look at it this way: I’ve read a ton of them!
Lynda Kelly
I didn't expect to enjoy this as much as I did. It's one I downloaded over a year ago but kept skating over in favour of something more "me"" as I'm no fashion fan. However, although it's set in the world of fashion it doesn't matter and you don't get bogged down with it in the least.
I just adored Laurie and his and Nicola's relationship especially as she took no nonsense from the little pixie (who I picture as a smaller and younger Julian Clary but I imagine the author's American and may not kn
Candy
When the author sent me this book for review, I wasn't sure it was something I would be interested in. It is set in the fashion world. I'm a jeans and t-shirt kind of a girl. And not even a fancy t-shirt. Like the "free" ones you get when you do a 5k. Hanes is my friend. Haute couture is wasted on me. LOL

HOWEVER, it is also a chick-lit book with some mystery thrown in and I was feeling like reading some good chick lit, so I decided to give it a whirl, figuring that I would just toss it if I coul
Kristeen Shuga
I want to start off that I won this book from the Goodreads Giveaway.

In this novel, we meet flashy but chic Laurie Sparks with a clueless and carefree spirit who is renowned fashion designer. Along with him is his sidekick, Nicola of whom is blunt, motherly and has an issue with having to protect Laurie from the world. The story is off an running as they search for clues to help find out why a certain designer did not sew or design his third appearance of fashion week.

The story was well written
Judie
Nicole, newly arrived in New York City after a career in research in Los Angeles, got a job researching fashions of the mid-1980s for Laurie, a young, flamboyant, easily-rattled fashion designer. When Nicole shows up for work wearing her roommate’s raincoat, he is totally thrilled by it and sought more information about the designer.
They are able to trace it back to a store in LA that sells clothing used in movies and television shows and learn in what show it was worn, by whom, and who was c
Diane
I just want to say that I received this book as part of the First Reads giveaway.

I thought this book was going to be way less entertaining than it actually was. I thought it was going to be more of a clichéd love story when I first read the synopsis but in the end I really liked how the book turned into more of an investigation novel.

I didn't like Nicola at first, she was a bit boring, but as the novel continued I really liked her relationship with Laurie and how far she was willing to go to pro
Jen Selinsky
"Bias Cut" follows the story of Nicola Strozyk and fashion designer Laurie Sparks. While Laurie is young, glamorous, and a star on a reality TV show, he is also lacking in life experience. This is where Nicola comes in. Even though she is almost the complete opposite of Laurie, the two of them seem to hit it off and become instant friends.

Nicola and Laurie draw inspiration from each other, thus driving the two of them to visit swanky parties in search of rare fashion items. As the two of them t
Furio
To give the author her due this mystery has some unquestionable assets:
- writing is in order;
- editing is professional: there are no mistakes and or inconsistencies except possibly one at the end;
- the general ideas for plot and characterization are also quite good and interesting. Especially good is the idea of not having the two leads getting involved with each other: a very young and flamboyant gay stylist and a middle-aged straight woman are bound not to.

The problem is that the reading exper
Jen
Granted, I am the target audience for this book - I lived, loved and was formed by the 80s. I'm a SoCal girl who became a New Yorker. I understand fashion. I've been to those tea shops. So, perhaps no surprise that I found this *such* a fun read. Richter is spot-on with her characters, whom I both love, and her banter and description (yes, I think the fashions need to be described in a book about a fashion designer). So, even though the plot took a while to get rolling, I didn't mind at all. It ...more
Sherry Hammond
Fun Quick Read

I had a hard time putting this book down and when I did I kept thinking about the characters. I thought the author did a great job of character development. It was a fun read and a book that can be read quickly.
A.G. Lindsay
I found this a fun, quick read (although I kept picturing Laurie (the wonderkind fashion designer) as Austin Scarlett from the first season of Project Runway.)

The mystery part doesn't seem to start until about half-way through the book. Until then, it's Nicola and Austin, er, Laurie running around in sort of a screwball comedy/slapstick quest for the designer of a coat Nicola was given by her room-mate.

It's a diverting read and also seems to "read true" about the NYC fashion week and also the "r
Andrea
Fun story

This was a fun story - perfect light reading for a long flight. I liked the colorful characters, especially Laurie Sparks who was totally over the top sparkly.
Kate
**Please Note: I received this book for free from Goodreads First-reads**

Bias Cut was a gem of a book. Fast paced and with wonderfully developed characters I couldn't put it down. Richters descriptions are beautiful without being wordy or over the top. The main character, Laurie Sparks, could have been a nightmare but remained quirky and prissy yet still likable.

I would absolutely recommend this book to people and look forward to the next book that Richter puts out. My only criticism is the cov
Michele
a mystery taking place in the fashion world with an quirky main character with a relucant side kick.Good book for a light mystery.
Trina Houston-dotson
Love it love it love it! Awesome story, interesting characters...I couldn't ask for more.
Sami Fox
slow start good finish

Slow to start but has a decent ending. Can be a bit confusing at times. But over all a good book.
Cindy Barnett
Lots more clothing info than murder mystery. includes flamers otherwise OK.
Sheila
I downloaded this book as a free ebook, I don't think it was worth even that. The story started out okay. The characters were a bit different, then the more into the story you got, the cruder the language became. I don't think that it is necessary to have that type of language in a book, it ruins the whole story. The characters became more weird as well. I would not recommend this book or the author to anyone.
Marge Mclaughlin
I subscribe to the Kindle books & Kindle news daily mail and usually really quickly scan free books for descriptions of interest, which is how I found Bias Cut. I really liked the characters in this book. As I read along I was traveling with them through the scenes and adventures. The story line was not that compelling to me, but it didn't matter, whatever Nicola and Laurie were doing or saying, I enjoyed being there with them.
Hannah
First off, I won this book through GoodReads First Reads Giveaways.

I loved this book. It really hooked me in the beginning and held on to me until the end. This book was fast paced and very easy read. I would recommend to anyone who loves crime, drama, and suspense.

Excellent book!
Sara
This story started out slow for me, I kept wondering where the mystery was! But it picked up, the plot was fun, fast and interesting. The end was like a whirlwind, and a little improbable with two stories merging, but it was a quick and fun read.
Wendi Prince
fun characters with a good plotline. entertaining quick read
Jenn
My dear friend, Morgan wrote this. You can read a preview of it here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007...

I was lucky enough to read the whole work and it's genre crossing and wonderfully three dimensional.
Kathleen
I may not have cared for this book, but please remember that reading-preferences are different for all of us. I would actually like to delete my comment here, but Goodreads won't let me.
Vicki
I really liked this book! I would love to see these characters again.
  • The Riddles of Hillgate (Z & C Mysteries #1)
  • The Unprintable Big Clock Chronicle (A Big Clock Mystery #1)
  • Nursing a Grudge (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #4)
  • Stalking Jack: The Hunt Begins...
  • Fairwood
  • Lana'i of the Tiger
  • Goddess of the Moon (Diana Racine #2)
  • Mystral Murder (Julie O'Hara Mystery #3)
  • Death by Desire (Caribbean Murder, #4)
  • The Good Daughter (Vista Security, #1)
  • Boxes For Beds
  • The Marathon Murders (Greg McKenzie Mysteries, Book 4)
  • Perfect Evil
  • Tourist Trap (Rebecca Schwartz, #3)
  • Crossings (The Harry Reese Mysteries, #2)
  • The Queen Gene
  • A Shot in the Bark (Dog Park Mystery, #1)
  • The Count of Monte Cristo as Retold by Sherlock Holmes
Lonely Satellite Wrong City Charlotte Dent Preppies of the Apocalypse Demon City

“She is the founder and owner of Luft Books, an independent publishing company, and the author of Bias Cut, Lonely” 0 likes