Start by marking “Lost New York” as Want to Read:
Lost New York

Lost New York

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  7 reviews
It is hardly surprising that the city that never sleeps has lost some things along the way. Fortunately, Nathan Silver's "magnificent and heartbreaking record" (Louis Auchincloss) captures with rare and stunning photographs that New York of legend and memory. From the lost Penn Station and two World's Fairs to the stone facades of great Fifth Avenue houses and the cast-iro ...more
Published March 7th 1993 by Wings (first published January 1st 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Lost New York, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost New York

I requested this book after watching the movie Cinderella Man. I was blown away by the images of the "Hooverville" which was set up in Central Park during the Depression.

This book has a ton of really great photographs of buildings, parks, hotels, museums and theaters. There are stories about demolitions and building. Can't wait to go to NYC and look at some of the buildings I read about.
Monica
This is the big weenie published in 1967 and other editions covering other cities have followed. I remember the hub-bub around the house about the demolition of Penn Station. This book made me strain to remember the old Penn station, which I couldn't do because our station was Grand Central. It was a defining moment for me. I surfed to Ireland to find the original (proper) book jacket.
Monica
Oct 17, 2007 Monica rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
It took moving away from New York to fully appreciate it's architecture. I can read this bok every few years and still be touched by it. NY is still the greatest place on earth.
Jordan
I love anything New York (City) and here is the chance to see really amazing old buildings of New York that has been torn down.
Andy
Sep 01, 2007 Andy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: History and/or Photography
Shelves: history
As close as you can get to using a time machine! The photographs are wonderful, and the text is very extensive. Beautiful book.
Dan Lollis
This book is about buildings that no longer exist in New York...I wish I could have seen them.
Lynn Calvin
Amazon preorder,Amazon received
Maura Badji
Maura Badji marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Kaitlin Bohan
Kaitlin Bohan marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Carlawendorff
Carlawendorff marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Michael
Michael is currently reading it
Jun 03, 2015
Jeffrey
Jeffrey marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Judy Van Dress
Judy Van Dress marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Debby
Debby added it
Jan 10, 2015
Lizzy
Lizzy marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Jj
Jj marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Making of Beaubourg Schwartz/Silver Architects: Work in Progress Adhocism: The case for improvisation