Start by marking “Unidentified Funny Objects (UFO #1)” as Want to Read:
Unidentified Funny Objects (UFO #1)

Unidentified Funny Objects (UFO #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Unidentified Funny Objects is a collection of humorous science fiction and fantasy. Packed with laughs, it has 29 stories ranging from lighthearted whimsy to the wild and zany.

Inside you’ll find a zombear, tweeting aliens, down-on-their-luck vampires, time twisting belly dancers, moon nazis, stoned computers, omnivorous sex-maniac pandas, and a spell-casting Albert Einstei
Published December 17th 2012 by UFO Publishing (first published December 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Unidentified Funny Objects, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unidentified Funny Objects

Chris Bauer
It isn't often I'm able to rate an anthology with 5 stars. "Unidentified Funny Objects" edited by Alex Shvartsman is one of them.

The theme of the anthology is humorous takes on science-fiction and fantasy staples with a dash of urban fantasy. 99% of the time, when reading a collection of shorts, I find at least 2-3 works which I simply don't care for.

That was NOT the case with this clever collection. The stories range from amusing to outright hilarity. But there was not a "dog" to be found in
One of my goals for 2013 is to read more short fiction. This collection definitely fit the bill. I love short fiction, and I love well-done humor. This anthology is nicely balanced. The humor ranges from puns with elaborate set-ups that are a great deal of fun to more subtle humor that doesn't make you laugh out loud, but may make you chuckle. Evilly, even.

I think there's definitely something in this collection for everyone, no matter what your sense of humor. The comics are a nice addition I wa
Nice stories ranging between goofy and intelligent. A good read, I enjoyed it. Excellent cartoons by Mike Jacobsen.
Unidentified Funny Objects editor Alex Shvartsman got in touch with me after I reviewed IN SITU edited by Carrie Cuinn, in which his story The Field Trip was one of my favourites. He asked whether I'd be interested in reviewing his anthology of humorous SFF short stories. This gave me a bit of pause; humour is very much subjective and thus I find it hard to judge stories on whether they are funny when they are meant to be. This is different from a work that is published as SFF and as additiona ...more
Joel Neff

Look, humor is so completely subjective that I'm not really going to try to write an individual review for each story. Instead, think of the ratings I assign each story as a scale where 5 is "made me fall out of my chair laughing" and 0 is "I forgot it the moment I finished it." Your mileage may vary.

Timber! by Scott Almes - 3/5

The Alien Invasion as Seen in the Twitter Stream of @dweebless by Jake Kerr - 5/5 - Honestly laugh out loud funny.

Dreaming Harry by Stephanie Burgis - 4/5 - A little cree
Beth Cato
I'm sad it took me so long to get to this. I supported the original Kickstarter, so I've had electronic and print copies waiting to be read for some time. While on a long drive home for Thanksgiving, I finished a dark fantasy novel and really wanted to switch to something light. The UFO anthology fit my mood perfectly.

Anthologies can be hit or miss for me. This one is consistently good, though only a few really made me laugh out loud. My favorite by far was "The Alien Invasion" by Jake Kerr. I u
I found most of the short-stories hilarious.
Honestly there wsa some of them I didn't get, but most of them was fantastic. Just the idea that a drug could make your dreams spawn, in your parents bedroom is brilliant, though slightly worrying when you grow up...
In general the quality of the stories is through the roof, but what can you expect when the anthology is handpicked from 100's of stories.

Normally I don't read short-stories, but this collection has kept me caught in its net. I really liked
Shvartsman's introduction lamented that there were too few avenues for good humorists to be seen in the sci-fi/fantasy world, and so he decided to help out by pulling this book together. I'm quite pleased with the results. UFOs has everything from short cartoons to almost novella-length stories about all range of subjects from time travel to sentient symbiotic worms. And this book is dense, too. I feel like I got more than the expected amount of brain-food packed into this box.

The stories in thi
Tyrannosaurus regina
I had SUCH a hard time rating this, because there were some stories I genuinely liked, but also others that were more offensive than funny. I think humour, especially SF humour, works better when it retains the complexity of the genre and doesn't just aim for the cheap punchline.

Humour is a tricky beast. One woman's hilarious is another woman's "huh?" In an anthology where the goal is to include a variety of stories, it's inevitable that some of them are going to work for some people and some of
Anatoly Belilovsky
Dec 25, 2012 Anatoly Belilovsky added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I'm in this book. But it's awesome anyway!
This was an interesting collection I picked-up because I like the idea of humorous sci-fi (and a few fantasy) stories. Some of them were quite good, a couple were funny, however a few of them I felt were so weak compared to the others that I was surprised by their inclusion in this collection. As others have said, the comics inset between some of the stories were the parts closest to laugh-out-loud funny.
Easily my favorite two stories were the invasion of earth as told on Twitter and the Last D
Overall this is a very weak collection. However, it has a short story by Sergei Lukyanenko, and there's just not a lot of his stuff that's been translated to English. His story, "If You Act Now," was wonderful.

"Cake from Mars," by Marko Kloos was also fun. "Timber," by Scott Almes wasn't bad. "Dreaming Harry," by Stephanie Burgis was okay. "Temporal Shimmies" was somewhat clever, but didn't quite hit all the right notes. Same with "The Day They Repossessed My Zombies" by K.G. Jewell. "The Worki
Quirky enjoyable collection of SF/F shorts. However it's billed as comedy which didn't mesh with me
Kept me laughing throughout! Just ask my husband. Poor guy couldn't get through a paragraph of his book without me interrupting him. ;) Looking forward to the rest of the series. :)
A collection of science fiction and fantasy stories, this anthology has and exceptional range of ideas contained within its pages. As the back reads, there is "a zombear, moon Nazis, stoned computers, and a spell-casting Albert Einstein," among others. The book also includes a few comics.

If you bring your sense of humor, you're bound to have quite a few laughs.
Quite a nice little collection. Few of the stories are really laugh-out-loud funny, but they're all pretty good, and I really liked the cartoons in between.
Annarose Mitchell
Enjoyed many of the stories, especially the last one set in world War 2!
Leah Hiromi Mix
Leah Hiromi Mix marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Abn10009 marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Bart marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Amanda marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Mary Kort
Mary Kort marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Diana Cook
Diana Cook marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Raymond Wilbur
Raymond Wilbur marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Simone marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Josef marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Kevin marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Susan Johnston
Susan Johnston marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Steve Thomas
Steve Thomas marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
  • Near + Far
  • Dragon Daily News
  • Once Upon a Time: New Fairy Tales
  • Fish
  • The Apex Book of World SF 4 (Apex Book of World SF #4)
  • Old Mars
  • Foreshadows: The Ghosts of Zero
  • Coop De Grace
  • Crossed Genres Magazine 2.0 Book One
  • The Forever Gate Compendium Edition (Forever Gate, #1-5)
  • Jimmy Lagowski Saves the World
  • Her Fingers
  • Dark Faith: Invocations
  • One Small Step: An Anthology of Discoveries
Alex Shvartsman is a writer, editor, and translator from Brooklyn, NY.

Over 80 of his stories have been published in InterGalactic Medicine Show, Daily Science Fiction, Nature Magazine, Galaxy's Edge, and many more. He won the 2014 WSFA Small Press Award for Short Fiction.

His collection, "Explaining Cthulhu to Grandma and Other Stories" and his steampunk humor novella "H. G. Wells, Secret Agent" re
More about Alex Shvartsman...

UFO (4 books)
  • Unidentified Funny Objects 2 (UFO #2)
  • Unidentified Funny Objects 3 (UFO #3)
  • Unidentified Funny Objects 4 (UFO #4)

“If you want to get anything done, you don’t go to the government.” 1 likes