Start by marking “Unidentified Funny Objects” as Want to Read:
Unidentified Funny Objects

Unidentified Funny Objects

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Unidentified Funny Objects is a collection of humorous science fiction and fantasy. Packed with laughs, it has 29 stories ranging from lighthearted whimsy to the wild and zany.

Inside you’ll find a zombear, tweeting aliens, down-on-their-luck vampires, time twisting belly dancers, moon nazis, stoned computers, omnivorous sex-maniac pandas, and a spell-casting Albert Einstei
Published December 17th 2012 by UFO Publishing (first published December 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Unidentified Funny Objects, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unidentified Funny Objects

Chris Bauer
It isn't often I'm able to rate an anthology with 5 stars. "Unidentified Funny Objects" edited by Alex Shvartsman is one of them.

The theme of the anthology is humorous takes on science-fiction and fantasy staples with a dash of urban fantasy. 99% of the time, when reading a collection of shorts, I find at least 2-3 works which I simply don't care for.

That was NOT the case with this clever collection. The stories range from amusing to outright hilarity. But there was not a "dog" to be found in
Gary
One of my goals for 2013 is to read more short fiction. This collection definitely fit the bill. I love short fiction, and I love well-done humor. This anthology is nicely balanced. The humor ranges from puns with elaborate set-ups that are a great deal of fun to more subtle humor that doesn't make you laugh out loud, but may make you chuckle. Evilly, even.

I think there's definitely something in this collection for everyone, no matter what your sense of humor. The comics are a nice addition I wa
Dick
Nice stories ranging between goofy and intelligent. A good read, I enjoyed it. Excellent cartoons by Mike Jacobsen.
Mieneke
Unidentified Funny Objects editor Alex Shvartsman got in touch with me after I reviewed IN SITU edited by Carrie Cuinn, in which his story The Field Trip was one of my favourites. He asked whether I'd be interested in reviewing his anthology of humorous SFF short stories. This gave me a bit of pause; humour is very much subjective and thus I find it hard to judge stories on whether they are funny when they are meant to be. This is different from a work that is published as SFF and as additional ...more
Joel Neff

Look, humor is so completely subjective that I'm not really going to try to write an individual review for each story. Instead, think of the ratings I assign each story as a scale where 5 is "made me fall out of my chair laughing" and 0 is "I forgot it the moment I finished it." Your mileage may vary.

Timber! by Scott Almes - 3/5

The Alien Invasion as Seen in the Twitter Stream of @dweebless by Jake Kerr - 5/5 - Honestly laugh out loud funny.

Dreaming Harry by Stephanie Burgis - 4/5 - A little cree
Beth Cato
I'm sad it took me so long to get to this. I supported the original Kickstarter, so I've had electronic and print copies waiting to be read for some time. While on a long drive home for Thanksgiving, I finished a dark fantasy novel and really wanted to switch to something light. The UFO anthology fit my mood perfectly.

Anthologies can be hit or miss for me. This one is consistently good, though only a few really made me laugh out loud. My favorite by far was "The Alien Invasion" by Jake Kerr. I u
Steffen
I found most of the short-stories hilarious.
Honestly there wsa some of them I didn't get, but most of them was fantastic. Just the idea that a drug could make your dreams spawn, in your parents bedroom is brilliant, though slightly worrying when you grow up...
In general the quality of the stories is through the roof, but what can you expect when the anthology is handpicked from 100's of stories.

Normally I don't read short-stories, but this collection has kept me caught in its net. I really liked
Colleen
Shvartsman's introduction lamented that there were too few avenues for good humorists to be seen in the sci-fi/fantasy world, and so he decided to help out by pulling this book together. I'm quite pleased with the results. UFOs has everything from short cartoons to almost novella-length stories about all range of subjects from time travel to sentient symbiotic worms. And this book is dense, too. I feel like I got more than the expected amount of brain-food packed into this box.

The stories in thi
Rrain
I had SUCH a hard time rating this, because there were some stories I genuinely liked, but also others that were more offensive than funny. I think humour, especially SF humour, works better when it retains the complexity of the genre and doesn't just aim for the cheap punchline.

Humour is a tricky beast. One woman's hilarious is another woman's "huh?" In an anthology where the goal is to include a variety of stories, it's inevitable that some of them are going to work for some people and some of
Anatoly Belilovsky
Dec 25, 2012 Anatoly Belilovsky added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I'm in this book. But it's awesome anyway!
Shawn
Oct 12, 2014 Shawn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: owned
This was an interesting collection I picked-up because I like the idea of humorous sci-fi (and a few fantasy) stories. Some of them were quite good, a couple were funny, however a few of them I felt were so weak compared to the others that I was surprised by their inclusion in this collection. As others have said, the comics inset between some of the stories were the parts closest to laugh-out-loud funny.
Easily my favorite two stories were the invasion of earth as told on Twitter and the Last D
James
Overall this is a very weak collection. However, it has a short story by Sergei Lukyanenko, and there's just not a lot of his stuff that's been translated to English. His story, "If You Act Now," was wonderful.

"Cake from Mars," by Marko Kloos was also fun. "Timber," by Scott Almes wasn't bad. "Dreaming Harry," by Stephanie Burgis was okay. "Temporal Shimmies" was somewhat clever, but didn't quite hit all the right notes. Same with "The Day They Repossessed My Zombies" by K.G. Jewell. "The Worki
Caitlin
A collection of science fiction and fantasy stories, this anthology has and exceptional range of ideas contained within its pages. As the back reads, there is "a zombear, moon Nazis, stoned computers, and a spell-casting Albert Einstein," among others. The book also includes a few comics.

If you bring your sense of humor, you're bound to have quite a few laughs.
Alytha
Quite a nice little collection. Few of the stories are really laugh-out-loud funny, but they're all pretty good, and I really liked the cartoons in between.
Annarose Mitchell
Enjoyed many of the stories, especially the last one set in world War 2!
Zenctheo
Zenctheo is currently reading it
Dec 22, 2014
Miza Peters
Miza Peters marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Kristy
Kristy added it
Nov 25, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Amel El idrissi
Amel El idrissi marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
UFO Read along: Unidentified Funny Objects 9 15 Mar 15, 2013 06:56PM
  • The Very Best of Fantasy & Science Fiction: Sixtieth Anniversary Anthology
  • The Other Half Of The Sky
  • Fish
  • The Forever Gate Compendium Edition (Forever Gate, #1-5)
  • Near + Far
  • Crossed Genres Magazine 2.0 Book One
  • Dragon Daily News
  • Once Upon a Time: New Fairy Tales
  • She
  • Futuredaze: An Anthology of YA Science Fiction (Futuredaze, #1)
  • It Started with a Whisper
  • Dark Faith: Invocations
  • Coop De Grace
  • Beyond Binary: Genderqueer and Sexually Fluid Speculative Fiction
Alex Shvartsman is a writer, editor, and translator from Brooklyn, NY.

Over 60 of his stories have been published in InterGalactic Medicine Show, Daily Science Fiction, Nature Magazine, Galaxy's Edge, and many more.

His first collection, "Explaining Cthulhu to Grandma and Other Stories" releases February 1, 2015.

Alex is the editor of the Unidentified Funny Objects annual anthology series of humorou
More about Alex Shvartsman...
Unidentified Funny Objects 2 Unidentified Funny Objects 3 Coffee: 14 Caffeinated Tales of the Fantastic A Shard Glows in Brooklyn Requiem for a Druid

“If you want to get anything done, you don’t go to the government.” 0 likes