Start by marking “Unidentified Funny Objects (UFO #1)” as Want to Read:
Unidentified Funny Objects (UFO #1)

Unidentified Funny Objects (UFO #1)

Unidentified Funny Objects is a collection of humorous science fiction and fantasy. Packed with laughs, it has 29 stories ranging from lighthearted whimsy to the wild and zany.

Inside you’ll find a zombear, tweeting aliens, down-on-their-luck vampires, time twisting belly dancers, moon nazis, stoned computers, omnivorous sex-maniac pandas, and a spell-casting Albert Einstei
Published December 17th 2012 by UFO Publishing (first published December 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Unidentified Funny Objects, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unidentified Funny Objects

Chris Bauer
Dec 03, 2012 Chris Bauer rated it it was amazing
It isn't often I'm able to rate an anthology with 5 stars. "Unidentified Funny Objects" edited by Alex Shvartsman is one of them.

The theme of the anthology is humorous takes on science-fiction and fantasy staples with a dash of urban fantasy. 99% of the time, when reading a collection of shorts, I find at least 2-3 works which I simply don't care for.

That was NOT the case with this clever collection. The stories range from amusing to outright hilarity. But there was not a "dog" to be found in
Gary
One of my goals for 2013 is to read more short fiction. This collection definitely fit the bill. I love short fiction, and I love well-done humor. This anthology is nicely balanced. The humor ranges from puns with elaborate set-ups that are a great deal of fun to more subtle humor that doesn't make you laugh out loud, but may make you chuckle. Evilly, even.

I think there's definitely something in this collection for everyone, no matter what your sense of humor. The comics are a nice addition I wa
Bob Gilson
Mar 27, 2016 Bob Gilson rated it really liked it
First this last night when I should have been sleeping. Very fun book of funny SF/Horror/Fantasy short stories. Stories ranged from chuckle and groan worthy to very funny and very interesting.
“The Worm’s Eye View” by Jody Lynn Nye an alien and a police detective working together to solve the mystery of it's hosts death since the alien was basically an intelligent tape worm. Fun characters. “An Unchanted Sword” by Jeff Stehman and “The Day They Repossessed my Zombies” by K.G. Jewell were two oth
Dick
Dec 17, 2012 Dick rated it really liked it
Nice stories ranging between goofy and intelligent. A good read, I enjoyed it. Excellent cartoons by Mike Jacobsen.
Robin Edman
Mar 28, 2017 Robin Edman rated it it was ok
This is a one-star book for me. I hated almost every story in it. However, it gets an extra star because I liked the Lukyanenko story so much. That story was satisfying in ever so many ways.
Mieneke
Feb 02, 2013 Mieneke rated it really liked it
Unidentified Funny Objects editor Alex Shvartsman got in touch with me after I reviewed IN SITU edited by Carrie Cuinn, in which his story The Field Trip was one of my favourites. He asked whether I'd be interested in reviewing his anthology of humorous SFF short stories. This gave me a bit of pause; humour is very much subjective and thus I find it hard to judge stories on whether they are funny when they are meant to be. This is different from a work that is published as SFF and as additiona ...more
Joel Neff
May 30, 2013 Joel Neff rated it really liked it

Look, humor is so completely subjective that I'm not really going to try to write an individual review for each story. Instead, think of the ratings I assign each story as a scale where 5 is "made me fall out of my chair laughing" and 0 is "I forgot it the moment I finished it." Your mileage may vary.

Timber! by Scott Almes - 3/5

The Alien Invasion as Seen in the Twitter Stream of @dweebless by Jake Kerr - 5/5 - Honestly laugh out loud funny.

Dreaming Harry by Stephanie Burgis - 4/5 - A little cree
Beth Cato
Dec 16, 2012 Beth Cato rated it really liked it
I'm sad it took me so long to get to this. I supported the original Kickstarter, so I've had electronic and print copies waiting to be read for some time. While on a long drive home for Thanksgiving, I finished a dark fantasy novel and really wanted to switch to something light. The UFO anthology fit my mood perfectly.

Anthologies can be hit or miss for me. This one is consistently good, though only a few really made me laugh out loud. My favorite by far was "The Alien Invasion" by Jake Kerr. I u
Steffen
Jan 20, 2013 Steffen rated it really liked it
I found most of the short-stories hilarious.
Honestly there wsa some of them I didn't get, but most of them was fantastic. Just the idea that a drug could make your dreams spawn, in your parents bedroom is brilliant, though slightly worrying when you grow up...
In general the quality of the stories is through the roof, but what can you expect when the anthology is handpicked from 100's of stories.

Normally I don't read short-stories, but this collection has kept me caught in its net. I really liked
Anatoly Belilovsky
Dec 25, 2012 Anatoly Belilovsky added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I'm in this book. But it's awesome anyway!
Kourosh Keshavarz
Jun 18, 2017 Kourosh Keshavarz rated it liked it
This was a great collection of short funny stories. I enjoyed most of them.
dpcinh
Feb 28, 2017 dpcinh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When there is talk of humour in Science Fiction, the first name that springs to mind is Slartibartfast. The second name is Douglas Adams. Hitchhiker’s Guide had other memorable characters like Zaphod Beeblebrox, Eccentrica Gallumbits – the triple-breasted whore from Eroticon VI and Marvin the Paranoid Android. No one in recorded history has ever recovered from a hangover brought on after indulging in a couple of Pan-galactic gargle blasters.

On a less flippant note, Terry Pratchett, Piers Anthony
Colleen
Apr 21, 2014 Colleen rated it liked it
Shvartsman's introduction lamented that there were too few avenues for good humorists to be seen in the sci-fi/fantasy world, and so he decided to help out by pulling this book together. I'm quite pleased with the results. UFOs has everything from short cartoons to almost novella-length stories about all range of subjects from time travel to sentient symbiotic worms. And this book is dense, too. I feel like I got more than the expected amount of brain-food packed into this box.

The stories in thi
Shawn
Jan 09, 2013 Shawn rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, sci-fi
This was an interesting collection I picked-up because I like the idea of humorous sci-fi (and a few fantasy) stories. Some of them were quite good, a couple were funny, however a few of them I felt were so weak compared to the others that I was surprised by their inclusion in this collection. As others have said, the comics inset between some of the stories were the parts closest to laugh-out-loud funny.
Easily my favorite two stories were the invasion of earth as told on Twitter and the Last D
James
Overall this is a very weak collection. However, it has a short story by Sergei Lukyanenko, and there's just not a lot of his stuff that's been translated to English. His story, "If You Act Now," was wonderful.

"Cake from Mars," by Marko Kloos was also fun. "Timber," by Scott Almes wasn't bad. "Dreaming Harry," by Stephanie Burgis was okay. "Temporal Shimmies" was somewhat clever, but didn't quite hit all the right notes. Same with "The Day They Repossessed My Zombies" by K.G. Jewell. "The Worki
Erika
Jan 23, 2016 Erika rated it really liked it
An overall fun collection of science fiction and fantasy-themed short stories with various degrees of success with being humorous.

Not all the stories struck me as particularly funny, though as is often said, humor is subjective and at least I found all but a few at least entertaining and most were quite good. I quite liked the variety of styles and formats and how none of the stories felt like they were shoehorned in to fit a theme, a problem I have with a lot of short story collections. It real
Tyrannosaurus regina
I had SUCH a hard time rating this, because there were some stories I genuinely liked, but also others that were more offensive than funny. I think humour, especially SF humour, works better when it retains the complexity of the genre and doesn't just aim for the cheap punchline.

Humour is a tricky beast. One woman's hilarious is another woman's "huh?" In an anthology where the goal is to include a variety of stories, it's inevitable that some of them are going to work for some people and some of
Caitlin
May 25, 2013 Caitlin rated it really liked it
A collection of science fiction and fantasy stories, this anthology has and exceptional range of ideas contained within its pages. As the back reads, there is "a zombear, moon Nazis, stoned computers, and a spell-casting Albert Einstein," among others. The book also includes a few comics.

If you bring your sense of humor, you're bound to have quite a few laughs.
Lissa
Oct 28, 2015 Lissa rated it it was amazing
Kept me laughing throughout! Just ask my husband. Poor guy couldn't get through a paragraph of his book without me interrupting him. ;) Looking forward to the rest of the series. :)
Skeldof
Quirky enjoyable collection of SF/F shorts. However it's billed as comedy which didn't mesh with me
Alytha
Jan 11, 2013 Alytha rated it liked it
Quite a nice little collection. Few of the stories are really laugh-out-loud funny, but they're all pretty good, and I really liked the cartoons in between.
Annarose Mitchell
Feb 15, 2014 Annarose Mitchell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed many of the stories, especially the last one set in world War 2!
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2017
Dee
Dee rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2015
Aleksey Tkachenko
Aleksey Tkachenko rated it did not like it
Mar 21, 2014
Ellen J.
Ellen J. rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2015
Joe Griffin
Joe Griffin rated it really liked it
May 12, 2014
Robert 'Rev. Bob'
Robert 'Rev. Bob' rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2013
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2014
Rik Chandler
Rik Chandler rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2017
  • Foreshadows: The Ghosts of Zero
  • The Other Half of the Sky
  • Once Upon a Time: New Fairy Tales
  • She
  • Scheherazade's Facade: Fantastical Tales of Gender Bending, Cross-Dressing, and Transformation
  • Her Fingers
  • Points of Departure
  • Jimmy Lagowski Saves the World
  • Year's Best Young Adult Speculative Fiction 2013
  • Old Mars
  • Best of Apex Magazine: Volume 1
  • Goblins Know Best: The Trivial Trials of Bogrot and Gorag
  • The Apex Book of World SF 4 (Apex Book of World SF #4)
Alex Shvartsman is a writer, editor, and translator from Brooklyn, NY.

Over 80 of his stories have been published in InterGalactic Medicine Show, Daily Science Fiction, Nature Magazine, Galaxy's Edge, and many more. He won the 2014 WSFA Small Press Award for Short Fiction.

His collection, "Explaining Cthulhu to Grandma and Other Stories" and his steampunk humor novella "H. G. Wells, Secret Agent" re
More about Alex Shvartsman...

UFO (5 books)
  • Unidentified Funny Objects 2 (UFO #2)
  • Unidentified Funny Objects 3 (UFO #3)
  • Unidentified Funny Objects 4 (UFO #4)
  • Unidentified Funny Objects 5 (UFO #5)

“If you want to get anything done, you don’t go to the government.” 1 likes
“In the guards’ defense it should be said that no screening test ever devised could reliably distinguish between a terrorist and a mathematician—and” 0 likes