Start by marking “Extraction (Extraction, #1)” as Want to Read:
Extraction (Extraction, #1)

Extraction (Extraction #1)

"Welcome to Extraction testing."

Clementine has spent her whole life preparing for her sixteenth birthday, when she’ll be tested for Extraction in the hopes of being sent from the planet Kiel’s toxic Surface to the much safer Core, where people live without fear or starvation. When she proves promising enough to be “Extracted,” she must leave without Logan, the boy she love
Published July 22nd 2014 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Extraction, please sign up.

Stephanie Diaz Nope, I highly doubt it. At least not for many, many thousands of years. Because our history is very different from the history of the humans on Kiel.…moreNope, I highly doubt it. At least not for many, many thousands of years. Because our history is very different from the history of the humans on Kiel. :-)

(Sorry, I can't give a better answer without giving away spoilers.)(less)

Alyssa

Publication Date: July 22, 2014
Rating: 1 star
Source: eARC from NetGalley:

Summary (from Goodreads):

"Welcome to Extraction testing."

Stephanie Diaz
Dec 11, 2012 Stephanie Diaz rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote
My book baby is out in the world at last!! I hope some of you readers enjoy it, and maybe even love it. Can't wait to share the rest of Clementine's story in the next installments. :-)

BOOK SALE & CONTEST TIME: (9/21/15)
Extraction is on sale for only $2.99 on all e-book platforms for a limited time! Spread the word to enter to win awesome prizes! More info at steph-diaz.blogspot.com.
Michael Waters
Dec 03, 2012 Michael Waters rated it it was amazing
Wow. WOW. This book is totally addicting. Also, Stephanie is an evil genius. (You now officially have permission to picture her cackling like a mad scientist.)

UPDATE: Here is what Stephanie looks like:

Cait (Paper Fury)
2.5

I had a loooot of trouble with this one, because it felt like a moonshiny version of Divergent. Which feels weird. Divergent is famous! And yet Extraction had a lot of the trimmings, like:

- Main character is really short/small/petit
- Still awesome kick-butt fighter
- Has training sessions with mean instructor
- rates high on training session super-duper score-board
- Gets SAVED from meanie instructor but nice instructor
- Has Gollum (OKAY WAIT! THAT WAS A HOBBIT MOMENT. But legit, there is a ran
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
Jul 08, 2013 Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of pawn by aimee carter(except that one was slightly better)
Let's get on with already. I've been staring at the blank screen for almost an hourrrr now for something snazz-tastic to come up and beg me, but na-nana-na-nah! I won't just give in, because the more it pleads, the sweeter the taking. Yeah, noooooo... I don't what I am smoking. I think it's the air; recently, it's been begetting these things in me: sneezes, struggles to breathe, dizziness, lapses in my remembrance of all the math and Mesopotamian crap I read few months ago, lapses in my recreati ...more
Grace (LovingDemBooks) Z.
Buy this book on AMAZON
or buy this book on BookDepository with FREE WORLDWIDE SHIIPPING

I received a free finished copy of this book from the publisher (St. Martin's Press) in exchange for an honest review and read along with BookBusters. All opinions are my own.

2.5 of 5 stars (Please read my rating system further below). WATCH MY VIDEO REVIEW ON YOUTUBE HERE

My rating system: (I do use half stars.)
5 - I do not use the 5 star. Not because a book might not be worthy, but because a book is nev
Debby
1 star

You know, I'm one of those people who has a love-hate affair with the dystopian genre. I love the possibilities, and the nostalgia about all the good series there have been in the past. So even when I'm disappointed, I keep coming back and giving it more chances. However, the more I read, the harder and harder it is to impress me. And sadly, Extraction failed to impress me on any front.

Let's break down the premise of Extraction and look at its influences.

- Extraction takes place in a world
Zoe
Mar 01, 2015 Zoe rated it it was ok
Recommended to Zoe by: Cait (Paper Fury)
Shelves: dystopia

So, Extraction, eh? Not really. More like:

image

I may not be the biggest fan of Divergent, but I am a huge supporter of originality in stories, and I can't say that Extraction had any. The similarities between the two books are almost hard not to notice, which is unfortunate because you end up becoming distant from the characters and story, and instead focus all your effort on noticing the similarities the two books have, including:
• the use of serums (the government in Extraction basically has a pea
Raph♛
Aug 20, 2013 Raph♛ marked it as to-read
description
i love it even witout a cover>~<

UPDATE
With urgent writing, fluid dialogue, and a cast of unforgettable characters, Extraction is a page-turning, gripping read, sure to entertain lovers of Hunger Games and Ender's Game and leave them breathless for more.

ummmm Allegiant and Mockingjay
don't do the same that these books have done to me...
pretty please
description
Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
You can also read my review here and ENTER THE GIVEAWAY.

I don't like book comparing. Loathed it, actually. It brings false expectations and angry readers with raging  disappointments. I must admit, I did compare Extraction from Divergent, from a lot of dystopia books that I've ever read even. How can I not? The blurb already did it for us. And as I finished it, I was completely torn. It's not what I'm hoping for, but I wasn't disappointed either. Am I the only one who ever had this feeling?

Extra
Liz Barnsley
Jun 13, 2014 Liz Barnsley rated it really liked it
Publication Date: 22nd July 2014 from St Martins Griffin.

Thank you to the author and publisher for the review copy via netgalley.

Welcome to Extraction testing.”
Brittany (Brittany's Book Rambles)
I have had a hard time deciding how to review this book. I really wanted to like it but there were so many factors that prevented me from just that. There were a lot of details that were so similar to other YA books I have read such as Divergent and a bit of The Hunger Games. Aside from that, Clementine (our main character) is in this all-or-nothing world where you either get "Extracted" and you get to live the good life or you fail and are forced to work as a slave until the government decides ...more
Jessica
Feb 16, 2013 Jessica rated it did not like it
DNF. Stopped around page 90.

Oh, Extraction. I wanted so badly to like you. I really did. Unfortunately, I made it only about 90 pages in before I just had to put you down. I might eventually try to continue you, but to be honest, there's nothing drawing me back.

When I started Extraction I was expecting an exciting sci-fi with high stakes and a strong, passionate romance that makes it impossible for Clementine to leave Logan behind. I got... none of these things. Sure it was sci-fi, and it has s
Liviania
Jul 21, 2014 Liviania rated it really liked it
In the world of Kiel, people from the Surface are tested on their sixteenth birthdays to see whether they are worthy of living in the Core. Maybe five people are picked per year. Clementine is determined to make it, and to do well enough to convince the Core people to change their mind about Logan, her brilliant and strong boyfriend who happens to be disabled. When she does make it to the Core, it is a struggle to fit in and excel. Especially because the Core sees the Surface as an enemy, still. ...more
CJ
Jun 02, 2014 CJ rated it really liked it
Extraction by Stephanie Diaz came to me as an Advance Reading Copy from Goodread's Giveaways. It is a story similar to The Hunger Games but with a grittier reality base story. I find the premise of testing children when they reach the age of 16 to find and train the brightest and fittest to increase the odds of survival on a hostile planet a much more believable scenario than a government who steals your children to fight in a battle to the death as revenge for an ancient uprising. Now I really ...more
Anthony
Jun 19, 2014 Anthony rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I did see some similarities between this book and Divergent, but I liked how Extraction did it better than Divergent. So, it actually had a few steps up.

And to say this book was like Divergent would be a gross over statement, anyway. The plot lines were very different--a few plot development similarities aren't near enough to equate one book with another.

I'm not a huge fan of hardcore sci-fi, and I think this could be classified as such, but it was tastefully done. There was some weird sci-fi s
Kate Ormand
I was quickly drawn into this harsh world where the moon's acid isn't the biggest threat to destroying what's left of the population, but the leaders themselves are. I loved the underground "safe place" for those deemed important to society and Clementine's determination to succeed. Incredibly well-imagined with a great twist on the genre.
Kristie
Jul 28, 2014 Kristie rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, blog-tour, review
Let me start off by saying that realizing if I was a character in this story, I'd already be dead, kind of has me scared. Stephanie, what evil is this?

I first learned about this book on twitter. I've followed Stephanie for some time and have been happy to watch the process of this book come to light. Yay books becoming real!

Yes, this book has similarities to current young adult dystopian book. But you know what? That's okay. Why, you may ask. Because look at the author! She is a young adult hers
TheSaint
Dec 20, 2014 TheSaint rated it it was ok
Shelves: dystopian, ya
Take a big scoop of The Hunger Games, a dollop of Divergent, a spoonful of The Testing, a soupçon of 1984, and a pinch of Under the Never Sky, and voila! Extraction!
Anastasia Nichole
Ally
Mar 14, 2015 Ally rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won a copy from Goodreads First Reads.

So... Hunger Games and Ender's Game?

Well, to be accurate, Extraction is perhaps a mixture of The Hunger Games, Divergent... Mostly Divergent. There are some parts where I can't but help see Divergent (yes! I'm not over Allegiant!). I see Tris everywhere. I see old characters everywhere. So... Originality? Not so much. Honestly, it feels like some parts were grabbed from certain books. Cut and paste.

Let me elaborate...

I felt like I stepped into a book that
Rachel
Jun 02, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I received this book as an ARC GoodReads giveaway.

I adored this book! My son and daughter will both love this book in a few years. Think a mix of Logan's Run, The Hunger Games, and Soylent Green.

Clementine is a young girl that is found to be of great "Promise." In a world that is structured with a severe code of worth she is picked to move out of an acid corroding camp and into the safety of the privileged. Leaving the only world she has ever known she is thrust into a subdued and seemingly easy
Jan 06, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Logan was such a great love interest. I was sad we didn't get to see a lot of his character. I was happy things with Beechy didn't turn into a love triangle because it kind of seemed like it for a minute but thank goodness it didn't go there. Some similarities to Divergent but still interesting. I liked all the reveals toward the end so hopefully the next book will be even better.
Melissa Landers
Mar 12, 2013 Melissa Landers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2k14
The term "unputdownable" is used so often in publishing that I hardly pay attention to it anymore. But here's a case where the phrase is well deserved. I finished Extraction in a day because...you guessed it...I couldn't put it down. If you enjoy dystopian fiction or sci-fi thrillers, you'll eat this up with a spoon!
Kristen Lippert-Martin
Mar 15, 2013 Kristen Lippert-Martin rated it it was amazing
Tense and frightening; a world of harsh realities and hard choices; an indomitable girl who fights the power. I'd pick Clementine for my kick ball team every time if she were in my gym class. Did I mention the writing is really good too? Yep.

Clementine. She's all that.
Vi Vi

Sep 03, 2014 Zoraida rated it it was amazing
So much fun. Less dystopian and more sci-fi! http://wp.me/p3JARC-1fi
Stephanie Ward
3.5 Stars

'Extraction' is the thrilling first book in a new young adult science fiction/dystopian series. It follows main character Clementine as she prepares for the day she's always dreamed of - Extraction testing. If she shows she's Promising enough in the tests, they'll take her away from her horrible life of starvation and labor on the Surface to live in the luxurious Core. All she's ever wanted was to escape the Surface - and now it's her chance. Even though it means leaving Logan - the boy
Megan
Mar 24, 2014 Megan rated it liked it
[Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in the Goodreads First Reads giveaway.]

Note: There are some relatively minor spoilers in this post, but as I discuss later in the review, they are completely predictable, so they aren't really spoilers.

I've been reading a lot of YA fiction and sci-fi lately. I think that may have been the reason I didn't LOVE this and only liked it. The market is saturated with Hunger-Games-esque books where kids are disposable, constantly in danger,
Erin Arkin
Jan 11, 2014 Erin Arkin rated it really liked it
Extraction by Stephanie Diaz is a book I have had my eye on for a little while. Not only is the cover interesting, the story intrigued me.

Clementine is the main character and she has been preparing for Extraction testing her whole life. As someone who lives on the surface of the planet Kiel, she knows that her only chance to survive is to be one of the kids chosen for extraction. Unfortunately, only ten kids are chosen each year so the odds are tough. As you can probably guess, Clementine is ch
BOOKBUSTERS | Boo...: Extraction by Stephanie Diaz 4 85 Apr 03, 2015 07:04PM
David Estes Fans ...: March 2015 Book of the Month - Extraction 2 12 Mar 01, 2015 03:07PM
Goodreads Librari...: Need Series Help 4 52 Jan 17, 2014 02:35PM
Goodreads Librari...: Combine Request 3 177 Sep 28, 2013 01:02PM
  • Burn Out (Burn Out, #1)
  • Dark Days
  • The Fearless
  • Falls the Shadow (Falls the Shadow #1)
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Illusive (Illusive, #1)
  • The Aftermath (Aftermath #1)
  • Salvage
  • Dissonance (Dissonance, #1)
  • Reckoning (Silver Blackthorn, #1)
  • Wordless (Words Made Flesh, #1)
  • Dark Metropolis (Dark Metropolis, #1)
  • Deliver Me
  • Dove Arising (Dove Chronicles, #1)
  • Landry Park (Landry Park, #1)
  • Minders
  • Survival Colony  Nine
  • The Wicked We Have Done (Chaos Theory, #1)
Twenty-two-year-old Stephanie Diaz wrote her debut novel, Extraction, while studying film at San Diego State University. When she isn't lost in books, she can be found singing, marveling at the night sky, or fan-girling over TV shows.

Visit her online at www.stephaniediazbooks.com. Follow her on twitter: @StephanieEDiaz.
More about Stephanie Diaz...

Extraction (3 books)
  • Rebellion (Extraction, #2)
  • Evolution (Extraction, #3)