Extraction (Extraction, #1)

Extraction (Extraction #1)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  289 ratings  ·  95 reviews
"Welcome to Extraction testing."

Clementine has spent her whole life preparing for her sixteenth birthday, when she’ll be tested for Extraction in the hopes of being sent from the planet Kiel’s toxic Surface to the much safer Core, where people live without fear or starvation. When she proves promising enough to be “Extracted,” she must leave without Logan, the boy she love...more
Published July 22nd 2014 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Extraction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Extraction

Cruel Beauty by Rosamund HodgeAlienated by Melissa LandersStolen Songbird by Danielle L. JensenThe Murder Complex by Lindsay CummingsDefy by Sara B. Larson
YA Debuts 2014
20th out of 314 books — 1,161 voters
Cruel Beauty by Rosamund HodgeCreed by Trisha LeaverHexed by Michelle KrysAlienated by Melissa LandersSide Effects May Vary by Julie    Murphy
2014 Debut Author Challenge (YA/MG/NA)
39th out of 387 books — 1,196 voters

More lists with this book...

Sam
Extraction is not exactly a stand-out read, or even one that brings anything new to the table, not unlike the many other contenders in this genre, but it is, still, a mostly fun and engaging first installment. The start is typical enough to draw to mind several other books, Divergent included, and is slow enough to make it seem like the plot is not going to be interesting at all, but the book does get steadily better as it goes on.

The common threads never really disappear, however. The big ‘tes...more
Bookpanda (Miguel Cruz)
Aug 26, 2014 Bookpanda (Miguel Cruz) marked it as to-buy-maybe
Shelves: 2014-release
"Pitched as Divergent meets Ender's Game."

John Hansen
Wow. WOW. This book is totally addicting. Also, Stephanie is an evil genius. (You now officially have permission to picture her cackling like a mad scientist.)

UPDATE: Here is what Stephanie looks like:

Stephanie Diaz
Jul 22, 2014 Stephanie Diaz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote
My book baby is out in the world at last!! I hope some of you readers enjoy it, and maybe even love it. Can't wait to share the rest of Clementine's story in the next installments. :-)
Alyssa

Publication Date: July 22, 2014
Rating: 1 star
Source: eARC from NetGalley:

Summary (from Goodreads):

"Welcome to Extraction testing."

Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
Jul 10, 2014 Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of pawn by aimee carter(except that one was slightly better)
Let's get on with already. I've been staring at the blank screen for almost an hourrrr now for something snazz-tastic to come up and beg me, but na-nana-na-nah! I won't just give in, because the more it pleads, the sweeter the taking. Yeah, noooooo... I don't what I am smoking. I think it's the air; recently, it's been begetting these things in me: sneezes, struggles to breathe, dizziness, lapses in my remembrance of all the math and Mesopotamian crap I read few months ago, lapses in my recreati...more
Corinne
Jan 04, 2013 Corinne marked it as wish-list
"the moon is poisonous"

Those four words sold me. I'm just imagining all the ways that could take shape, and I love it.
Raph
Apr 26, 2014 Raph marked it as to-read
description
i love it even witout a cover>~<

UPDATE
With urgent writing, fluid dialogue, and a cast of unforgettable characters, Extraction is a page-turning, gripping read, sure to entertain lovers of Hunger Games and Ender's Game and leave them breathless for more.

ummmm Allegiant and Mockingjay
don't do the same that these books have done to me...
pretty please
Liz Wilkins
Publication Date: 22nd July 2014 from St Martins Griffin.

Thank you to the author and publisher for the review copy via netgalley.

Welcome to Extraction testing.”
Liviania
In the world of Kiel, people from the Surface are tested on their sixteenth birthdays to see whether they are worthy of living in the Core. Maybe five people are picked per year. Clementine is determined to make it, and to do well enough to convince the Core people to change their mind about Logan, her brilliant and strong boyfriend who happens to be disabled. When she does make it to the Core, it is a struggle to fit in and excel. Especially because the Core sees the Surface as an enemy, still....more
Warrior
I did see some similarities between this book and Divergent, but I liked how Extraction did it better than Divergent. So, it actually had a few steps up.

And to say this book was like Divergent would be a gross over statement, anyway. The plot lines were very different--a few plot development similarities aren't near enough to equate one book with another.

I'm not a huge fan of hardcore sci-fi, and I think this could be classified as such, but it was tastefully done. There was some weird sci-fi s...more
Paula M. (Her Book Thoughts!)
You can also read my review here and ENTER THE GIVEAWAY.

I don't like book comparing. Loathed it, actually. It brings false expectations and angry readers with raging disappointments. I must admit, I did compare Extraction from Divergent, from a lot of dystopia books that I've ever read even. How can I not? The blurb already did it for us. And as I finished it, I was completely torn. It's not what I'm hoping for, but I wasn't disappointed either. Am I the only one who ever had this feeling?

Extrac...more
Debby
1 star

You know, I'm one of those people who has a love-hate affair with the dystopian genre. I love the possibilities, and the nostalgia about all the good series there have been in the past. So even when I'm disappointed, I keep coming back and giving it more chances. However, the more I read, the harder and harder it is to impress me. And sadly, Extraction failed to impress me on any front.

Let's break down the premise of Extraction and look at its influences.

- Extraction takes place in a world...more
CJ
Extraction by Stephanie Diaz came to me as an Advance Reading Copy from Goodread's Giveaways. It is a story similar to The Hunger Games but with a grittier reality base story. I find the premise of testing children when they reach the age of 16 to find and train the brightest and fittest to increase the odds of survival on a hostile planet a much more believable scenario than a government who steals your children to fight in a battle to the death as revenge for an ancient uprising. Now I really...more
Anastasia [I'm Wonderstruck...]
Kristie
Let me start off by saying that realizing if I was a character in this story, I'd already be dead, kind of has me scared. Stephanie, what evil is this?

I first learned about this book on twitter. I've followed Stephanie for some time and have been happy to watch the process of this book come to light. Yay books becoming real!

Yes, this book has similarities to current young adult dystopian book. But you know what? That's okay. Why, you may ask. Because look at the author! She is a young adult hers...more
Logan was such a great love interest. I was sad we didn't get to see a lot of his character. I was happy things with Beechy didn't turn into a love triangle because it kind of seemed like it for a minute but thank goodness it didn't go there. Some similarities to Divergent but still interesting. I liked all the reveals toward the end so hopefully the next book will be even better.
Melissa Landers
The term "unputdownable" is used so often in publishing that I hardly pay attention to it anymore. But here's a case where the phrase is well deserved. I finished Extraction in a day because...you guessed it...I couldn't put it down. If you enjoy dystopian fiction or sci-fi thrillers, you'll eat this up with a spoon!
Kristen Lippert-Martin
Tense and frightening; a world of harsh realities and hard choices; an indomitable girl who fights the power. I'd pick Clementine for my kick ball team every time if she were in my gym class. Did I mention the writing is really good too? Yep.

Clementine. She's all that.
Manuel de Acha
As soon as I started this book I knew it was going to be a great original story.

Our main character, 16-year-old Clementine, is about to take the Extraction test. Only ten people every year pass the test, then they go to an undergorund facility named Core were everything is better. The planet they are living on, Kiel, is toxic and very dangerous to live in. After Clementine passes the test, she now realizes she will have to leave the boy she loves and promises she will come back to save him.

Turn...more
Dragana
Clementine is smart, hardworking girl who works in farming camps on the surface of planet Kiel. All she dreams is proving that she is Promising enough to become resident of planets Core level where you are free to pick the job you like. But, although Clementine is extracted, she soon starts to question the the facts she knows because the Core is not the promise land they lead her to believe.
"This place is freedom and suffocation at the same time."

Does something sounds familiar? Compare this plot...more
Stephanie Ward
3.5 Stars

'Extraction' is the thrilling first book in a new young adult science fiction/dystopian series. It follows main character Clementine as she prepares for the day she's always dreamed of - Extraction testing. If she shows she's Promising enough in the tests, they'll take her away from her horrible life of starvation and labor on the Surface to live in the luxurious Core. All she's ever wanted was to escape the Surface - and now it's her chance. Even though it means leaving Logan - the boy...more
Jessica
DNF. Stopped around page 90.

Oh, Extraction. I wanted so badly to like you. I really did. Unfortunately, I made it only about 90 pages in before I just had to put you down. I might eventually try to continue you, but to be honest, there's nothing drawing me back.

When I started Extraction I was expecting an exciting sci-fi with high stakes and a strong, passionate romance that makes it impossible for Clementine to leave Logan behind. I got... none of these things. Sure it was sci-fi, and it has s...more
Rachel
Aug 10, 2014 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I received this book as an ARC GoodReads giveaway.

I adored this book! My son and daughter will both love this book in a few years. Think a mix of Logan's Run, The Hunger Games, and Soylent Green.

Clementine is a young girl that is found to be of great "Promise." In a world that is structured with a severe code of worth she is picked to move out of an acid corroding camp and into the safety of the privileged. Leaving the only world she has ever known she is thrust into a subdued and seemingly easy...more
Megan
[Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in the Goodreads First Reads giveaway.]

Note: There are some relatively minor spoilers in this post, but as I discuss later in the review, they are completely predictable, so they aren't really spoilers.

I've been reading a lot of YA fiction and sci-fi lately. I think that may have been the reason I didn't LOVE this and only liked it. The market is saturated with Hunger-Games-esque books where kids are disposable, constantly in danger,...more
Erin Arkin
Extraction by Stephanie Diaz is a book I have had my eye on for a little while. Not only is the cover interesting, the story intrigued me.

Clementine is the main character and she has been preparing for Extraction testing her whole life. As someone who lives on the surface of the planet Kiel, she knows that her only chance to survive is to be one of the kids chosen for extraction. Unfortunately, only ten kids are chosen each year so the odds are tough. As you can probably guess, Clementine is ch...more
Devyn
I received this book from Goodreads.

This. Book. Is. Awesome!
Seriously! Extraction is like a wonderful combination of The Hunger Games, Divergent, and Wall-E. Who wouldn't love that mixture?
I think you could call this book a page turner considering the fact that I sat for five hours reading Extraction because I couldn't bring myself to put it down. I know I've said it once but I need to say it again. Extraction is awesome! I love it.

Recommended? Anyone who likes Dystopian genre.Or anyone who like...more
Katie (Kitkatscanread)
Dayum this book was just amazing.
So fast - paced and incredible.
I see this book being up there among other books like The Hunger Games.
But my God that ending.
I can actually see this being a movie and pictured everything so vividly as if it was a movie.
Kudos to Stephanie for writing an awesome book.
Can't wait to see what is going to happen next!

Full review to come...
Jaye
A fast-paced, intense sci-fi adventure. On the surface of Clementine's planet, the moon leaks acid and children are used as work camp labor to keep the inner core levels running smoothly. Every year, twenty surface workers are tested as Promising and allowing to leave the surface and live in the center of the planet.

Clementine is chosen, but she quickly learns the stories they've been told on the surface are not the way things are at all. Can't say more for fear of spoilers, but the comparison t...more
Wendy
"Extraction" by Stephanie Diaz is a gripping, fast-paced science fiction tale that begins with Clementine, one of ten "Promising" being extracted from Kiel's toxic "Surface". Torn between the desire to stay with her friend Logan and living in the "safety, nourishment and freedom" as a citizen of the "Core", she has no choice but to leave and return for the boy she loves.

But life within the steel walls of the underground is not all that Clementine hoped for. The lies and secrets of a tyrannical d...more
Goodreads Librari...: Need Series Help 4 45 Jan 17, 2014 02:35PM
Goodreads Librari...: Combine Request 3 173 Sep 28, 2013 01:02PM
  • Illusive (Illusive, #1)
  • Stitching Snow
  • The Young World (The Young World, #1)
  • Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
  • The Glass Arrow (Untitled Trilogy, #1)
  • Tracked
  • Falls the Shadow
  • The Fire Wish (The Jinni Wars, #1)
  • Tabula Rasa
  • The Cage (The Cage, #1)
  • Dissonance (Dissonance, #1)
  • Beware the Wild
  • Winter Falls (Twin Willows, #1)
  • Earth & Sky (Earth & Sky, #1)
  • Dark Days
  • Burn Out (Burn Out, #1)
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
  • Monstrous
Twenty-one-year-old Stephanie Diaz wrote her debut novel, Extraction, when she should've been making short films and listening to class lectures at San Diego State University. When she isn't lost in books, she can be found singing, marveling at the night sky, or fan-girling over TV shows.

Visit her online at www.stephaniediazbooks.com. Follow her on twitter: @StephanieEDiaz.
More about Stephanie Diaz...
Rebellion (Extraction, #2) Untitled (Extraction, #3) Extraction - 2012 ABNA Entry