Start by marking “The Devoted Friend” as Want to Read:
The Devoted Friend

The Devoted Friend

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  564 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
"The Devoted Friend" is a short fairy tale written by Oscar Wilde. The tale concerns Big Hugh, the miller, and his best friend Hans. The story is told by a linnet to a water-rat following a conversation about what it means to be a devoted friend. (Description from Amazon)
Unknown Binding
Published January 1st 1987 by Mage Publishers (first published 1888)

To ask other readers questions about The Devoted Friend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devoted Friend

tyranus
Nov 13, 2015 tyranus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Eğer çocuklarınıza/yeğenlerinize vefa, sadakat, bağlılık, fedakarlık gibi kavramları masallarla anlatmak istiyorsanız, Oscar Wilde'ın masalları tam da aradığınız gibi. Pek çoğunu kendi çocukları için yarattığı, sonrasında kitaplaştırdığı bu masalların yaşı yok; büyük küçük herkesin zevkle okuyacağı türden masallar.

İyi okumalar...

"Ahlaksız olarak nitelendirilen kitaplar, dünyanın utancını bizlere gösteren kitaplardır." Oscar Wilde
El
Jul 17, 2012 El rated it it was ok
(Read as a part of the Complete Works of Oscar Wilde.)

Be careful who your friends are.
Tira
Apr 19, 2013 Tira rated it it was amazing
This tale was included in William Bennet's Book of Virtues-an anthology of tales with moral lessons for children and adults. One of those tales with a lesson we often don't learn completely until we've lived it. A great story for parents to share with their teen age children, about what friendship is, and what it isn't. In today's fast paced world, it's easy to get so busy doing that we lose sight of what and why we are here. As much as we all want to be liked, and respected, it's a good idea to ...more
Mark Delaney
Jul 22, 2016 Mark Delaney rated it really liked it
This fairytale by Osacr Wilde deals on the theme of friendhip, and how much it can mean to some and little to others. The story is told by a green linnet to a water rat who is igmorant of his own vanity. The tale the linnet tells has two main characters, a little man called Hans, and the Miller who takes advantage of Hans good nature. During the tale we see how far some people will go for a true friend, and how blind we can be to a one sided friendship. The miller uses guilt and other methods to ...more
Lana
Mar 06, 2015 Lana rated it really liked it
This was a good story. But unfortunately, I can only give it four stars out of hatred for the miller. Also it was very depressing. I kept hoping that some fairy would come and punish the miller and free Hans from this abusive friendship. Of course, this is Wilde, so nothing of the sort happened. All I really took from this story is that there are manipulative a******s with lots of money that try to con hard working people out of their labour and measly worldly belongings while all the time makin ...more
Suhasini Srihari
Dec 14, 2015 Suhasini Srihari rated it it was amazing
Wilde is always a delightful writer. His method of taking simple everyday examples and to showcase them in a different light altogether is indeed a fantastic creativity. This story talks about how a generous and ignorant person toils for his so-called friend but eventually loses everything and his life too for the sake of this friend. Though a children's read, the story suffices to play with a sensitive adult's mind!
debbie~cr8zycat~
Jun 07, 2016 debbie~cr8zycat~ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible, 2016-reads
Very good fairy tale everyone should read! What kind of friend are you?
Maria
This story set in a fairytale setting focuses on two best friends; Little Hans the gardener, and Hugh the Miller. It's about 'devoted friendship' and what it means to people.
It's beautifully written and is a short, simple story, yet it holds such a heavy meaning. It reflects on how much blinded by our own pride we can be that we start despising correcting ourselves (like the water rat gets mad at discovering the story had a moral), and the wrong values we impose on our children (like when the Mi
Brennan Wieland
Jan 25, 2011 Brennan Wieland rated it it was amazing
This was a great one, with a moral that was different from many of the other books that I've read. The ending is also a surprise, but I won't spoil it for you. It's not a very uplifting story, but still a funny view of a one-sided friendship.
Kristen
Jun 30, 2010 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 3-read-2010
How bizarre. I love Wilde and this was entertaining and not the ending you expect.
Feb 25, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
I read this growing up -- and just once, because it was so depressing. I may or may not have cried. Think "The Giving Tree" meets a Bronte tragedy. I probably would have given it 1 star if asked to rate it at the time.

But it really stuck with me all these years. The theme of unrequited friendship -- manipulation or abuse justified by "love" and even religious ideals -- seems important to be exposed to. I might just make my kids read it.

Best lines:

"And what, pray, is your idea of the duties of a
Jonathan Butcher
One of my favourite stories. I loved it. A story within a story with much to learn from.
Sophie Z
Jan 03, 2015 Sophie Z rated it it was amazing
Question 1: Why does Hans go all the way to help Miller whose kindness is nothing but a few words? Can't he see that the miller just wants his flowers, his plank, his energy and time and his usage for his own good? Can't Hans refuse if he can't go any further?

Question 2: If someone is not good to you, will you be good to her, considering you really like her? No.

Question 3: Hans should realize that he should not continue the devotion and help after that winter when the miller didn't come by and
☪♥Magic Love Wonderland☯♥Love☮
Baaaah I really don't like the Miller. He's such an arrogant, unlikeable, twisted man!

Little Hans might be a great and devoted friend but then again, he is also very naive and gullible.

I felt for Little Hans and have no sympathy at all for this Miller man.
I know it's "only" a story but there are really people like this Miller-guy in this world.

Thankfully I didn't had such friendships but that's because I never ran with the crowd either.

Karen Heart
Nov 15, 2013 Karen Heart rated it it was amazing
Shelves: public-domain
I can't believe I've never come across this little gem before. It was such a neat little story of a true friend and a false friend. It comes across like a children's story but I have no idea if that was it's original intent or just the style he chose.

I almost thought I would have liked to see a slightly different ending but then I realised it shows how we are sometimes so unaware of the kind of person we really are and what valuable things we lose for ourselves.
Luciana Darce
Jan 31, 2016 Luciana Darce rated it liked it
Terminei esse conto sentindo tanta raiva do Moleiro que quase taquei o livro na parede. O Amigo Dedicado é um título bastante irônico considerando o que acontece nesse conto, que é uma história dentro de uma história.

O Pintarroxo tenta demonstrar uma moral para o Ratão d’Água narrando as desventuras do pequeno Hans e seu dedicado amigo, o Moleiro.

É amargamente irônico que o Moleiro diga e repita ao longo de todo o conto que ele é o melhor amigo do pequeno Hans e mascare sua mesquinhez como cuida
Ronnie
May 11, 2015 Ronnie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
—Siento mucho haberle molestado— contestó el Pinzón. —El hecho es que le conté un cuento con moraleja.

—Ah, pues eso es siempre muy peligroso— dijo la Pata.

Y yo estoy de acuerdo con ella.

La profundidad de las historias de Wilde me llena de tantas emociones que me cuesta un mundo poder elegir alguna para describirle, pero puedo comentar lo mucho que admiro sus metáforas y el carácter que emplea en sus personajes porque todo esto junto a una buena prosa y el don de explicar tus pensamientos le co
Ivana de Bona
Jan 25, 2016 Ivana de Bona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Miller really pissed me off. I was very dissapointed to see what a sad ending Hans had.
♡♥uzma♡♥
Apr 01, 2014 ♡♥uzma♡♥ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favourite
love to read it .. :)
Asyraf Rusmizam
Apr 26, 2015 Asyraf Rusmizam rated it liked it
A story with a moral value. Indeed I didn't get the Miller character. He seemed to be a very selfish person yet still, he boast around speaking of values of true friendship et. cetera.. Poor Hans is the poorest of all poor.
Aimee Lowe
Jun 13, 2016 Aimee Lowe rated it liked it
Another depressing tale of suffering, unrequited selflessness & kindness, death & characters who seem to learn nothing.
Of course the reader always learns something: the essence of socialism. While his tales are enough to make me weep, Mr Wilde was a true socialist who preached kindness and generosity. For that I love him.
However, the tale only gets 3 1/2 stars because it's so depressing & infuriating.
Alejandro Aguirre
Jul 12, 2015 Alejandro Aguirre rated it it was amazing
Grande Oscar Wilde, derrocha talento en forma de letras, y te envuelve suavemente en sus palabras. Es maravillosa la manera en la que cada uno de sus cuentos pone en cuestión los valores humanos, para sembrar en nuestra mente la gran duda: "¿De verdad somos tan buenas personas como creemos?".
Neelam Babul
Feb 14, 2016 Neelam Babul rated it it was amazing
What an immensely enduring read. Friendship is all about supporting your friend and keep their needs above yours. This story shows how some people take advantage of the politeness of their friends and makes you realize what the nature of true friendship should be.
Lilian Barraza
Jun 30, 2015 Lilian Barraza rated it liked it
Hans y Molinero:- "no está bien que vaya a verlo, por que cuando la gente tiene alguna preocupación, les gusta estar solos y no tener visitas, esa al menos es mi idea de la amistad"
-la amistad no se olvida
-Molinero le pasaba la mano a Hans, "muy buenos amigos"
Ana Chávez
Jun 30, 2016 Ana Chávez rated it really liked it
Me costó trabajo leerlo ¡El Molinero es el personaje más desagradecido y molesto que hay! Pero es un gran cuento en el que se invierten un poco los papeles y son lo animales quienes cuentan fábulas con seres humanos como personajes y no al revés.
Shilpi Saha
Apr 29, 2016 Shilpi Saha rated it liked it
Hah!! the definition of true friend and friendship:-P. Manipulation and abuse justified by the definition....We find many Millers but Hans...now that is a rarity
Kevin Cortez
Sep 19, 2015 Kevin Cortez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muy alargada la historia para llegar a su climax, pero una gran historia llega al alma de la amistad y pobre pequeño.
Nazish Islam
Oct 29, 2014 Nazish Islam rated it it was amazing
What a Moral story, first irritated me then made me laugh at the end :-P
Cin Cuántica
  • The Snows of Kilimanjaro/The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber
  • The Burrow
  • The Eyes Have It
  • Der Struwwelpeter
  • Happy Birthday, Danny and the Dinosaur!
  • With Morning Comes Mistfall
  • The Elephant Vanishes: Free Short Story
  • Reginald
  • The Artist of the Beautiful
  • The Nightingale
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E ...more
More about Oscar Wilde...

“Every good story-teller nowadays starts with the end, and
then goes on to the beginning, and concludes with the
middle...”
5 likes
“Le aseguro que no conozco algo más noble o más raro que una leal amistad” 1 likes