Start by marking “The Devoted Friend” as Want to Read:
The Devoted Friend

The Devoted Friend

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  332 ratings  ·  18 reviews
" A story from Simon Van Booy's forthcoming collection, LOVE BEGINS IN WINTER, will be printed at the back of this volume.
Unknown Binding
Published January 1st 1987 by Mage Publishers (first published 1888)

To ask other readers questions about The Devoted Friend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devoted Friend

Brennan Wieland
This was a great one, with a moral that was different from many of the other books that I've read. The ending is also a surprise, but I won't spoil it for you. It's not a very uplifting story, but still a funny view of a one-sided friendship.
Kristen
How bizarre. I love Wilde and this was entertaining and not the ending you expect.
Angela Alcorn
A sad little tale and a good moralistic story.

We own this as part of a short story collection: The Happy Prince and Other Stories: The Young King; The Devoted Friend; The Model Millionaire
El
(Read as a part of the Complete Works of Oscar Wilde.)

Be careful who your friends are.
Lindsay
The ending made me laugh: the moral of the story is "don't tell stories with morals."
Tira
This tale was included in William Bennet's Book of Virtues-an anthology of tales with moral lessons for children and adults. One of those tales with a lesson we often don't learn completely until we've lived it. A great story for parents to share with their teen age children, about what friendship is, and what it isn't. In today's fast paced world, it's easy to get so busy doing that we lose sight of what and why we are here. As much as we all want to be liked, and respected, it's a good idea to...more
Mark Delaney
This fairytale by Osacr Wilde deals on the theme of friendhip, and how much it can mean to some and little to others. The story is told by a green linnet to a water rat who is igmorant of his own vanity. The tale the linnet tells has two main characters, a little man called Hans, and the Miller who takes advantage of Hans good nature. During the tale we see how far some people will go for a true friend, and how blind we can be to a one sided friendship. The miller uses guilt and other methods to...more
♡♥uzma♡♥
love to read it .. :)
Karen Heart
I can't believe I've never come across this little gem before. It was such a neat little story of a true friend and a false friend. It comes across like a children's story but I have no idea if that was it's original intent or just the style he chose.

I almost thought I would have liked to see a slightly different ending but then I realised it shows how we are sometimes so unaware of the kind of person we really are and what valuable things we lose for ourselves.
Ashara
I don't have children, and nor do I want them, but you can bet that when I'm the Cool Aunt with Cats I will show up at friends' houses with this story all prepared.

Tia
A parable on the virtue of selfishness.
Sneh Pradhan
Biting sarcasm and satire , this is Wilde's forthright and tongue-in-cheek take on what is definitely one of the prevailing idiosyncratic foundations of human society .
Sarah Giffen
The moral of the story: Being too nice to someone who is obviously just using you could be the death of you. It's not bad to say no to a friend sometimes.
Mariam Abood
Oct 14, 2014 Mariam Abood added it
Shelves: novellas
I really don't know what to say about this other than it was a good short story for children. A bit too boring for me though.
Aug 28, 2012 Laura rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Bettie, Carey
Recommended to Laura by: Jean
A fairy tale: a Linnet tells a Water-rat about little Hans and his "devoted" friend, the rich miller.
Meg
A little fable about friendship. I can't remember much else but it was interesting at the time.
JoAnn
May 27, 2010 JoAnn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Excellent story of friendship. I truly recommend it.
May
Hated the characters.
Srinidhi
Srinidhi marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Patrick Paterson
Patrick Paterson marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Jitender Singh
Jitender Singh marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
  • Markheim
  • Struwwelpeter
  • The Birthmark
  • The Music of Erich Zann
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E...more
More about Oscar Wilde...
The Picture of Dorian Gray The Importance of Being Earnest The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays   An Ideal Husband The Canterville Ghost

“Every good story-teller nowadays starts with the end, and
then goes on to the beginning, and concludes with the
middle...”
3 likes
“Le aseguro que no conozco algo más noble o más raro que una leal amistad” 1 likes